Why is this band so haunting?

Why is this band so haunting?

What gave it that mystic aura that separated them from the rest of the bands of the same era?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8p-AUo1w45w
youtube.com/watch?v=2787znyO8eI
youtube.com/watch?v=0yp4WtjyYMI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because of the Lizard King.

shamanism
and alcoholism

Honestly one of the best bands out there. All albums are great. except The Soft Parade

The Beatles and the Stones are for blowing your mind. The Doors are for afterward, when your mind is already gone.

i think they were genuinely onto shit that no one gives them credit for. compare the doors to joy division, for example. they stand up both musically and conceptually. i think the doors transcend time and genre because they encompassed blues, jazz, psychedelic experimentation, and rock equally and masterfully when it suited them.

>jim morrison was a hack

maybe he wasn't the best poet ever, but he was playing with original ideas such as shamanism, the theatre, confrontation, and the subtleties of war. he wasn't a hippie; in fact he loathed them. he used dark imagery in a time when only the burnt out or most vocal protesters were doing the same, except he fit it into top 40 music on the cusp of a revolution.

amazing, amazing band

It is really interesting that nobody has really ever been able to re-create their sound, at least nowhere near as perfectly. That fact has left me with an unscratchable itch for years.

The Doors [Elektra, 1967]

Some of the tunes retain considerable nostalgic appeal for me, but I can't get over it--Jim Morrison sounds like an asshole. B-

I always listen to them when I get high or get wasted.

People don't understand why I love them so much, so I almost never listen to them in public or around people.

What spare time alone I have had - I've spent it all with this band. When you're alone, your perspective is clearer, more intense. Faces come out of the rain. The experience is amplified because you feel as if you've reached a bond that you've never reached before with any other human.

They just 'get' it. It genuinely upsets me that I don't have anybody I could sing Five to One or L.A Woman in a drunken stupor, with. I guess I'm just lonely lads, sorry for the blog post. It's just a great fucking band.

This song is complete fucking chaos and I love it

youtube.com/watch?v=8p-AUo1w45w

>Jim Morrison sounds like an asshole

lmao fucking what, his voice is very fucking memorable, and i've never heard anyone having even a vaguely similar voice, it's enchanting and i'm pretty sure it's not a coincidence.

>taking Christgau seriously

I feel that way with a lot of bands. Hell, even some of the friends I have that are into a lot of bands I like aren't even that familiar with them enough to know all of their songs. Sad shit

Have you listened The doors In Concert?

Here's what I think:

Jim Morrison had the god-given talent of a truly exceptional singing voice and a natural ability for writing songs. However, I think that he was intensely neurotic and I think that he basically succumbed to hedonism didn't develop very well as a person. The consequence of this is that, riding on his god-given talents, he released an intensely dark and neurotic but powerful first album and then began unraveling. He didn't use his talents to promote something positive and I think that the horrible suffering of his short life was payback for him never really growing up and becoming a force for good.

The "mysticism" of The Doors is more like the sound of a hellish neuroticism than a genuine spirituality. I think that Jim probably thought that he was exploring mysticism through his drug use and songwriting, and he probably was to some degree. Ultimately, I think that he began the search for truth and then got stuck. Jim Morrison was a tragic and somewhat foolish man.

Soft Parade is awesome
I always end up listening to them when I get drunk alone in my room I know that feel

because....they opened the Doors of Perception

No but I have Live At The Matrix '67 and Live In Detroit '70

>he used dark imagery in a time when only the burnt out or most vocal protesters were doing the same, except he fit it into top 40 music on the cusp of a revolution.

yes.

>teenage girls screaming at the thought of their love being like a funeral pyre.

>wanting to kill his mother

his lyrics were pretty subversive - both subtly and blatantly

>It genuinely upsets me that I don't have anybody I could sing Five to One or L.A Woman in a drunken stupor, with.

I was having a decent evening, user.

No he wanted to kill his father. He wanted to shag his mother.

GONNA MAKE IT, BABY, IN OUR PRIME

COME TOGETHER

ONE MORE TIME

Soft Parade song is one of their best though.

That's what I hate about getting older. My dad played them a lot when I was a child. In my teens, he was somewhat of an idol to me, then I got around the age he died, and then I got older. Still one hell of a band though, and Jim's voice, no matter how fucked up he was, was alwas the last thing to go.

American Nights has a great live version of Light My Fire.

Soul Kitchen on Absolutely Live is gr8 too.

L.A. Woman > Self Titled > Strange Days = Morrison Hotel > Waiting For the Sun > Soft Parade

I don't hate any of their material though. The Soft Parade track is great shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=2787znyO8eI

Used to watch this almost biweekly. Always on sundays. Volume nice and loud in the living room for the family to enjoy. I was coming down from my saturday, or still going up. I think they enjoyed it.

You should watch 'people are strange' where Jim is tripping balls in the studio. It became pretty clear by then they were starting to become real tired with his shit. But my guess is, they made a pact in the beginning, like you can see in the movie with Val Kilmer, and they stuck by it. They never gave him shit publicly. Always kept it in the family. 3 brilliant musicians and a frontman, 4 friends. I'd like to go to Venice Beach on a pilgrimage sometime.

Hey guys, anyone still here? I just listened to Morrison Hotel because of this thread.

I really like where they took my mind.

I put it down to the heavily keyboard driven sound and Morrison's haunting baritone

Even their love songs have this underlying sense of terror to them, did they produce any truly happy songs?

The End.

>If Morrison were alive today he'd be 73

Some people I just feel are supposed to be young forever, it's inconceivable to me that Jagger got old, Paul got old, and even Dylan got old

On a side note I wonder if Jagger ever cringes at the antics of his young self considering his youthful degeneracy probably genuinely hurt people and has resulted in dozens of offspring that he barely sees

In what way was that a remotely happy song?

Why do the Doors seem like the most common band for other musicians of this generation to shit on?

David Crosby hated the Doors and Morrison especially, Joni Mitchell hated them, I feel like Keith Richards did as well but I might be wrong

And Velvet Underground hated everyone so it seems plausible they hated the Doors too

The bittersweet, honest release.

I've always found Light My Fire to be uplifting. It does have an ethereal quality to it that makes it feel mysterious but it's definitely more upbeat than sad.

Honestly, their sound is super economical.
It's just an organ, Jim's voice and demented poetry, and a fingerpicked Gibson SG.

If you're coming from music in 2017 where recordings are layered with 100+ tracks, it seems pretty minimalistic and weak, but they were able to accomplish a fair bit with so little.

I honestly believe The Doors were underproduced for a reason, but they probably would have been better with Beatles-esque post-production.

Why did they never add a bass player, I now Manzarek filled in for that but good bass playing can actually augment the sound of a band pretty well rather than just being barely detectable background noise

>post yfw you realized they have no bassist

>Why do the Doors seem like the most common band for other musicians of this generation to shit on?
Like said, The Doors were producing much darker, much more hauntingly spiritual material than what other bands of the same era were coming out with, which alienated many people of the hippie generation. In a way The Doors laid the conceptual foundation for the bleaker music that was to come later in the form of Post-Punk and Gothic Rock

>you will never be a basically average looking guy who fucks supermodels because you were catapulted to global sex symbolism by a talented photographer

I'd be fine with checking out at 27 if I could live Jim's life

Keith Morris said the Doors were the first american punk band and I believe him

First mainstream American punk band perhaps, but Velvet Underground probably is more deserving of the title of godfathers of punk, plus I think the punkish sound is a little more distinct in their songs than in the Doors

I was about to post that but I fact-checked myself to avoid getting bullied and apparently they used a bassist to mirror Manzarek's keyboard lines because the keyboard itself couldn't pop through the mix.

I wish more bands would do something like this. Take tons of live recordings and splice them together to make the ultimate concert.

you know who didnt were iggy and the stooges, reportedly got inspired to start after going to a doors show

Keith hated everyone because he's a jealous hack

If that's average then I'm Frankenstein's fucking monster. He managed to look great even though he was an alcoholic drug addict.

The absolute GOAT beard genetics too.

God fucking damn

Like I said I think it was just a talented photographer working the angles, here he looks pretty non-distinct

Long hair looked good on him

Runnin Blues from Soft Parade is pretty happy. Mostly because Robbie Krieger sings the chorus on it and he sounds like a drunk hillbilly
Mostly a happy doors song is rare because of their tendency to use more minor chords, Morrison's crooning, and the organ sound

Nigga u straight

They always had a bassline, but sometimes they chose to have a bassist play it instead of Manzarek playing because they liked the sound of the plucked bass guitar. It was a completely stylistic choice, live Manzarek effortlessly played all the basslines on his left hand

>non-distinct
If this were from today it would be one of those viral 'handsome mugshots'.
The man looks like a model

>tfw my long hair doesn't curl like Morrison's so I just end up looking like a pedophile instead of a rocker

>>tfw mine does but i stoll look like a pedophile

Jim Morrison was a crooner. Scared the shit out of all the old people still listening to Sinatra in '69.

Dead president's corpse in the driver's car.
The engine runs on glue and tar.
Come on along, not going very far.
To the East, to meet the Czar

Waiting for the Sun is my favorite Doors album.

>sound of a hellish neuroticism than a genuine spirituality: Yeah man, very much like Kerouack

youtube.com/watch?v=0yp4WtjyYMI

they played this on the radio the other night, was a great experience listening to this while driving in the dark

Is it true that Morrison was basically a massive prick?

It's always kind of depressing when you find out people you admire are kind of jerks. Maybe fame burned him out?

Most drunks are pricks.

especially the transition at 3:01, that's amazing

Yeah I meant to say that they only did it in the studio. In live situations Manzarek said the keyboard bass was just fine.

Get a curling iron.

> Jim Morrison was a crooner

Never thought about it that way but that really is a big part of their unique sound. Now I'm always going to be imagining Sinatra singing in Morrison's place.

>feel like I have a dark timbre to my voice that should allow me to sing like Morrison
>record myself doing a cover of Touch Me on my keyboard and realize I sound like a queer trying to disguise my voice

God I hate my singing voice, I have like the delicate timbre of a tenor but the vocal range of a baritone, literally can't do anything with it

imagine how good you'll feel when you hit that sweet spot

keep going for it my man

everyone who knew him personally and spent a lot of time with him insists he was a chill dude

its a bit much to expect him to have been the perfect image of nice 100% of the time

>Acid

Are you a lucky little lady in the City of Light
Or did you go to Lost Angel, City of Night