Who's the greatest Singer/Songwriter of all time?

Who's the greatest Singer/Songwriter of all time?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2pxvXI1i9cw
youtube.com/watch?v=MGxjIBEZvx0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Paul McCartney

Avey Tare

Everyone agrees its Dylan. Thread was unnecessary

Bon Iver

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

callin' in those dubs

Fuck off Bob. Let a real folk artist do her thing.

yeah its dylan.

Bruce Springsteen

Only person who I'd say is up there with Dylan. And Leonard Cohen.

ITT: the definition of middle brow

Don't reply to my thread ever again

Bingo

Shane Macgowan, Ian Dury or Robert Wyatt.

Right

In no order, off the top of my head:

Paul Macca
John Lennon
Dylan
Paul Simon
Springsteen
Cohen
John Fogerty
Tim Buckley

I do think Paul is the greatest songwriter ever, however, I think he was talking about the "singer/songwriter" genre. People like Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Joni Mitchell, and Van Morrison.

>Tim Buckley

literally who?

Paul could do "singer/songwriter" type folk better than any of those. That's why Paul is the GOAT. He could do Blackbird and Helter Skelter and on the same album. Best singer of anyone mentioned here to boot.

Also a name nobody has said yet: Van Morrison

i hope you OD on heroin

B^U

Are you a retard ?

As someone who hasn't heard anything at all by dylan, what exactly is it that makes him revered like a god among muricans?

Can someone recommend something by him that'll perhaps give me an idea of his greatness?

What a stupid fucking post. You preface it by saying
>As someone who hasn't heard anything at all by dylan
Like do you have 5 brain cells? "Hurr I never heard him before, but what makes him good??/?" God what a brainless dolt you are. here's a solution to your grand problem: Listen to him!!! WOW!! What an elegant solution, then you can refer to your own opinion!!! Wouldn't that be something ?

>Paul could do "singer/songwriter" type folk better than any of those.

>what exactly is it that makes him revered like a god among muricans?
i think you will find that people from countries besides america listen to music created by americans, especially when they are one of the most popular and respected and acclaimed musicians of all time

also this

He's easy for their weak stomachs to digest just like every other refrigerator magnet songwriter posted in here. (Besides Avey Tare)

0/10 bait

>I'll Follow the Sun
>I've Just Seen a Face
>Yesterday
>Rocky Raccoon
>Blackbird
>Junk
>Hey Diddle
>Picasso's Last Words
There's some prototypical sadboy acoustic guitar folk. But wait be can also do 100 other genres. This is why Paul is the eternal GOAT. There are no lines in the sand, there are no genres he can't touch, no instruments he can't play, no octave he can't sing. He is THE singer-songwriter and doesn't even attempt to be.

It's really not. Dylan is the musical equivalent of John Green.

i love anco but my dude you need to stop

>(Besides Avey Tare)
How the FUCK is this not bait you worthless piece of life
>i love anco
kill yourself

he was asking what to listen to you cunt. dylan has a shitload of records

The Times They Are A Changin'
Highway 61 Revisited
Blonde On Blonde

He has a lot of music and changed is style often.

>"kill yourself"

Dylan is one of the most acclaimed acts. There are unlimited resources and lists and rankings of his that are only a google search away. Fuck that guy I have nothing to apologize for.

None of those songs are even good examples of the singer-songwriter genre. I love McCartney, but he's obviously a very different type of songwriter than Dylan, Mitchell et al.

chill user. I know what are usually considered his best albums by the general public. I figured I'd ask here as well to see if there's any difference in terms of recommendations (Which there usually is). Also, not to mention that I was curious why other people think he's so great (or what's so great about his music).

Calm your tits.

>I figured I'd ask here as well to see if there's any difference in terms of recommendations

because Sup Forums and /lit/ generally tend to have a "start with this, then move on to this and if you like this then try out this else try out that" kind of advice which is pretty neat. that's why i asked. so don't get so riled up.

No Neil Young?
No Jeff Mangum?

Noel Gallagher will dethrone the current title holder soon enough

not bob dylan

Avey Tare isn't trying to be profound, the rest of them are (and failing). Plus he has a much better sense of rhythm and melody than the rest.

pretty much nailed this list, but i'd take lennon and fogerty off personally

Skip his first three albums. They're boring ass shit. He's a good lyricist and birthed a new genre with the hawks. His latest album triplicate which came out this year is suprisingly very good.

Fuck off

>what exactly is it that makes him revered like a god among muricans?
At least partially, because he had perfect timing.Bob Dylan came along at a time when pop culture was starting to take rock/pop music seriously, and he followed on the heels of a folk music boom that praised intellectualism. By patterning himself after Woodie Guthrie and lying about his past to seem more "authentic" than other folk singers, he gained acclaim as a performer that carried over when he started writing his own songs. When the crossover from folk to pop happened, the praise kept going, and it was amplified because he was still writing folk tunes instead of pop songs. He was basically the first pop musician to write his own songs, and attach substance to them beyond themes about partying, girls, or surfing. That was pretty revolutionary at the time, and he got a reputation that never went away.

I say this as a big Dylan fan, too. He's a phenomenal songwriter, and he definitely deserves a lot of the praise, but it's easy to see how a lot of hyperbole about him comes from his convenient timing. He also cultivated the image of a genius poet deliberately; he took his own image seriously enough that when Richard Farina, an acclaimed poet who married Mimi Baez, started playing music, there was a lot of tension from Dylan who was scared Farina was a threat to his credibility as a writer. It's the reason he wrote Tarantula.

wow user. thanks a lot for such a detailed answer. this is exactly what i was looking for. because i feel that for someone to be considered so great, just "his music is good" is not a sufficient explanation because there are a lot of artists with good music who aren't considered as favorably as unanimously as dylan is. thanks for the in depth reply. it gives me perspective and knowledge on him and i appreciate it.

Must be one of those "only popular in America" artists.

If you really want to know more about Dylan's early career, read Positively 4th Street. My post is basically a hyper-condensed summary of that book's sections about Dylan.

are you willfully stupid or is it out of your control?

Neil Young for sure

He was a psych-folk singer in 60s/70s with a really powerful voice. He's pretty under-the-radar for the most part so don't feel bad not knowing him.
youtube.com/watch?v=2pxvXI1i9cw

Nick Drake

Stan Rogers and Neil Young

rude tbqh. Put your toys back in your pram.

I know I'm gonna get a lot of shit for this, but I personally do not like Bob Dylan at all and think that he's massively overrated. A lot of his music, especially Highway 61 Revisited, is really boring and grating.I don't care about lyrics at all if they're not backed by good music and the music most of the time is not good, and I really don't see the appeal of the lyrics either. That being said I think my favorite singer songwriter is either Daniel Johnston, Townes Van Zandt, Randy Newman or Nick Drake.

this cunt got a literature nobel prize but nicanor parra still hasn't

Tom Petty. Seriously, he's written so many hits of own and plenty for other people

Stan Rogers is great, but doesn't he only don't established shanties?

the best: dylan, cohen, nico, tim buckley, nick drake, neil young

this

calling out b8 when i see it

for single handedly changing popular music and developing countless new types of lyricism and song writing. Maybe try desolation row

joni only had a few good albums, her jazz stuff is embarrassing.

>her jazz stuff is embarrassing.
Fuck off, Summer Lawns and Hejira were some of the best albums she made.

It's easy to just conclude that Dylan's image as the greatest songwriter in history was just hyperbole, but he did earn it for a reason. Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, and Blonde on Blonde were all released back to back and all changed popular music forever, before the fucker was even 30

Also, John Lennon was apparently intensely jealous when he heard this song and didn't know how the Beatles were going to compete

youtube.com/watch?v=MGxjIBEZvx0

Think on that, Lennon was jealous of the fuck

You didn't like Freewheelin Bob Dylan or the Times They are a Changin?

If you said you didn't like Another Side of Bob Dylan I might agree

Most of his songs are original compositions, which makes it all the more impressive. Some folk artists initially disliked him because he wasn't playing established tunes, and others were pretty jelly that he could write a song that sounded like it was 400 years old. Your question itself is pretty telling.

Pleb.

I have a love hate relationship with Bob

When Dylan is in the mood he can write an incredibly original composition that feels like an instant classic (most recently Make you Feel my Love, Knocking on Heaven's Door, Things Have Changed) and actually put his heart into singing it

then at other times he just seems bored with songwriting and just wants to fill up another album with tracks involving black woman chanting in the background, a raspy smoker's voice, and guitar banging noises

you truly believe that her best work stands above something like "Desolation Row"? wew

not him but I agree

the words were so haphazard that I pretty much guarantee Dylan felt nothing about any of the words he said on Desolation Row, they probably just came to him

compare that to the things that Joni said on Blue

Well I'll be dammed.
Northwest Passages is GOAT

From bringing it all back home and beyond is when I like dylan. His nasal voice needs more than his guitar that sound like tin cans for me to enjoy.

Holy shit, how has no one said Kate Bush?? She has more individual talent than any other musician, and I will slaughter those who disagree

fpbp

But that wistfulness in his voice and how he's just marveling at those nobodies on the fringes of American society, the ones that (until then) never had a song. It's a much more abstract love song than Blue's breakup narrative

Dylan
Young
Mangum
Mitchell

Both Sides Now is probably the best song ever written, but the rest of her work isn't quite at the level of the other three.

Is there a state of mind or perspective you need to have to enjoy/understand Blonde on Blonde?

I was pretty blown away by H61R and BIABH but I just wasn't really into Blonde on Blonde, maybe I should revisit it soon

Greatest of all time and continues to put music out in 2017

His 2017 album was made in 1976 though.

Does Morrissey count?

dylan, paul simon and elliot smith are some of my faves

We're talking about good songwriters, so no he does not.

brian wilson

Van Morrison
Bob Dylan
Paul Simon
Brian Wilson
Paul McCartney
John Lennon
Tim Buckley
Ray Davies
Joni Mitchell
Donovan
David Crosby
Neil Young
Cat Stevens
Gordon Lightfoot
Bruce Springsteen
Tom Petty

The list could literally go on forever, there are so many good singers that wrote their songs. Gotta give #1 to Paul McCartney because of the variety in his catalogue.

Forgot Lou Reed. How the fuck I can forget him. May as well throw in Bowie too. Kurt Cobain aswell. The list doesn't fucking end.

leonard cohen my nigga. also lou reed (yeah i said it faggot)

It's a shame Thom Yorke is not even taken half seriously as a songwriter.

I guess because of the perception that he isn't at least 50% of the main creative drive. All the names posted did so much on their own, where as Thom is perceived to have help from a career-long team including Johnny Greenwood and producer Nigel Godrich. Radiohead's songwriting is largely done democratically and any act that operated this way is unlikely to add a name to this thread.

Fair enough. For some reason I was treating songwriting purely as writing lyrics, which he has done for 90% of their songs.

I think if you do the lyrics and the chords and the structures all by yourself you can say you've written the song. That's just my opinion.

>no Kozelek

absolutely embarrassing thread

Good pick, but does he really measure against some of the legends posted? I think he's in the next tier. Can you comfortably put Kozelek in a sentence with Dylan, McCartney, Lennon, Young? I sure as shit can't.

replace tim with jeff and axe Cohen and macca, add steve earle and mark kozalek

Big Rare

>replace tim with jeff
Kill yourself.

>axe macca
>add steve earle
Are you high ?