Guys, I'm trying to build my first gaming PC and I'm entirely overwhelmed gimme some pointers plz

Guys, I'm trying to build my first gaming PC and I'm entirely overwhelmed gimme some pointers plz

Other urls found in this thread:

videocardbenchmark.net/
youtu.be/d8uWMUD_-z0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I meant to mention that I'm in the process of picking parts and not actively assembling it.

My set up and love it:

Asus saber tooth Z77 motherboard
Intel quad core processor 3.8ghz
Nvidia gtx1070 vid card
Vengeance 16gb raam
Samsung 250gb ssd primary drive
Seagate 1tb games drive
Seagate 1tb back up drive
Corsair water cooler
5 corsair fans
Samsung optical drive
Aoc 32" 2k monitor
Razer gaming mouse
Aula keyboard
A jazz lighted gaming mouse pad

reddit.com/r/buildapc is a great place to start.

LinusTechTips & TechQuickie on Youtube

There are some good videos on youtube by Austin Evans, its really not that hard

pcpartpicker

stick to intel

Why the self portrait?

Here you go:

0x0023FF74
0x0043AF10
0x0107F01A

I recommend either getting the i7 8700 if money isn't an issue, if it is then get a ryzen 1700 build, as the more cores the better. Older i7s are great for current gen, but those 4 cores will become an issue within a few years. After that just Google a build for either or.
For ram get 16gb ddr4 any brand, pick your favorite design or price, speed only matters for ryzen(affects fps),
For a case again pick your favorite design or price, but don't cheap out too much like I did, comes with a lot of regrets.
For a power supply make sure you're like 100 to 200 watts above the combination of your cpu and gpu, then get a TRUSTED company, not some knock off brand.
For a motherboard pick your favorite, doesn't matter too much unless you wanna overclock.
Gpu depends on price and performance you want, look at benchmarks as well.
Lastly I HIGHLY recommend an sad and a 1tb hard drive.

not OP but my problem is always when it comes to video cards, they're all just letters and numbers and I never know which is better than which

I know there are comparison sites and whatnot but holy shit just make the next one a higher number stop with the gtx's and shit

to op: i know building your own can be cheaper but MSI has some really sick gaming PCs for under 1k, check out the Aegis

i have an msi laptop because I have to go back and forth to work but it fucking rips, i imagine their pcs are godly

pc part picker
watch youtube vids

intel is good for straight up gaming but i heard amd is more for running multiple programs. e.g. streaming

make sure to do your research OP

For a gpu it really depends on how much you're willing to spend, or what performance you want, AMD and nvidia name differently for different performances, but prices are around equal for the performance. Also AMD is better for dx12, vulkan, and computing. Nvidia is better at current gen. But prices are a bit higher for AND atm due to mining.

if u really want to stream proper you run dual pc

Intel is overpriced and their cpu is great rn, but in a couple years it'll become obsolete and behind AND ryzen. Rn ryzen is fine because the only times it's behind Intel in fps is when it's unnoticable(like above your monitor hz) but when Intel is slower it's at the 40fps range. This will get worse over time.

Ok, lets cut through the fanboy bullshit and Sup Forums bullshit shall we?

There is nothing wrong at all with AMD cpu's, the Ryzen 5 gives big performance with 6C/12T for peanuts, about the same price as an 4C kaby lake i5 and people can talk all the Intel shill crap they like but the Ryzen5 will leave it well behind.
If you're main concern is gaming throw as much money as possible into your GFX card, a GTX 1080 can be had for much less than previous these days after the Ti appeared and will power any game you want to play without breaking sweat right up to 4k, AMD GPU's I have no experience of to be honest so I won't try and tell you whats best only what I use and know about.
Don't go overboard on RAM, check out Linus Tech Tips, he did a comparison of different RAM speeds and bottom line 3200Mhz RAM will get you maybe 2 fps more than 2400Mhz RAM - for about 3 times the cost, it simply isn't worth it. As for amount you can limp by with 8Gb, 16Gb would be preferable, 32Gb and upwards for gaming is another marketing dream waste of money.
SSD's will also make a big difference, everyone gets their bits out over Samsung NVMe SSD's (I have a 1Tb one) and yes they are very fast - at a cost but bottom line a large capacity SATA SSD is plenty fast enough for gaming. If you have money to burn look at the new Intel Optane SSD's, they are only 240/480Gb at the moment but have write endurance that would make a geek spray his shorts, the 480Gb one is rated for 6.24Pb written - that's not a typo 6240Tb written, basically it'll last longer than your pc - they are VERY expensive right now though being new.

It's not optane, I think you're talking about Intel nvme or the pcie based one, optane = Intel new gen only with harddrives

For an sad get a 250gb one, an ssd is expensive rn, then get a 1tb hard drive for mass storage and most games

>gaming
>pc
ok faggot

OP don't listen to any of these fucks telling you to go AMD.
Go look at benchmarks and you'll see the ryzen chips are behind the latest Intel chips. Only thing I'd that the Intel chips arent in stock anywhere and if they are they're overpriced.
Just trust in the benchmarks. I've been on both sides and I just don't bother with AMD anymore. Spend the extra 50 or so bucks and stick to the Intel platform. You'll never have to worry about performance for years to come.
For building, just watch a Carey holzman video. They're long but very informative. You might make a mistake or two on your first time but it's pretty hard to actually ruin your parts. If you want to build one quick then I would suggest waiting for black Friday ryzen sales. The 1600x has been pretty good at its price point. If you have time to wait for Intel to produce more coffee lake chips then go with that and live well knowing you made the right choice.
Also, get a gold rated PSU that has good reviews and a good warranty.

You sound like an Intel fanboy, I'd honestly only get an Intel atm for the i7 8700k, any other Intel really isn't worth it atm. 4 cores will be a bottle neck in the future, we're laughing now, but we laughed about dual cores becoming obsolete and SINGLE CORE. Games are already starting to utilize more than 4 cores.

can somebody explain to me the difference between SSD and Hard Drive? I'm confused halp

You're an idiot. The new i5s are 6 cores. They're definitely worth it if you don't have the extra 100 or so to get the i7.
I'm not an Intel fanboy either, I literally suggested both to him depending on the situation. I've had both AMD builds and Intel builds.
Look at benchmarks and get the chip that offers the performance you want. Plain and simple.
Go watch a tech quickie on it. All you need to know is that SSDs are extremely fast compared to HDDs. Get one and your computer will never slow down like they usually do overtime. Get an HDD as well for storing large amounts of data. If you're rich then just get all SSDs.

Ssd means solid state, it's a lot faster and lasts longer than harddrives, but are a lot more expensive. It makes your computer feel a lot faster when opening things

The new i5 is the worst cpus, they're the failures of the i7, the new i5s are just meant to look good on paper but is actually terrible with power. 2.8 ghz for $200 or 3.6 ghz for $300, the turbo will almost never happen with the i5 due to Intel not having a stable flow yet and i5 IS a bad i7. I'd rather get a ryzen 5 at 3.6ghz for $200 same core and there's count, also their IPC is the same, the new i5 is about equal to a ryzen 5 1600 in gaming for A LESSER PRICE.

thanks guys. I'm in the same boat as OP actually. This past month I've watched youtube videos trying to learn all I can bc I want to build a PC. I as well am stuck on exactly what parts to choose, AMD vs INTEL etc.
I hope by the beginning of next year I'll have my build ready. I can only imagine how amazing it feels to flip that power switch and witness your PC come to life for the first time.

So Intel if you want the i7 8700k, amd otherwise unless you want a very budget Pentium build. For graphics amd and Intel switch back and forth every $50 up until the 1070 and above where nvidia is better. Also make sure you have a good monitor so if you do get a 1070 or 1080, you can actually see the difference compared to a 1050.

Btw the i5 8600k only has 6 cores 6 threads compared to the ryzen 1600x's 6 core 12 thread, higher clock, equal ipc, and lower price by $100

what would be considered a good monitor?
I had a 1080p tv, it's like 34 inch I think. I was just going to use that but would you recommend I but a actual monitor? Still unaware of what Hz and stuff are all about too.

Hz = amount of times it refreshes, or the amount of fps it actually displays. Your t.v. is fine as long as you're comfortable with it, and I don't really suggest a 1070 for your t.v. in this case as it's either 30hz or 60hz depending on the t.v. unless you plan on upgrading.

You're actually autistic

What are you talking about user?
You're just made you didn't get any coffee lake chips before they sold out. I have both the 8400 and the 8600k. The 8400 was under 200 bucks and the 8600k was 250 like they are every dam year.
Also you're complaining about the 8400 being 2.8ghz but look at the boost clock, it's fucking 4ghz. That just makes it even more power efficient if anything. There's no issues with the boost clocks either.
Don't feed op bullshit about IPC and cores. Everyone knows that Intel chips have a higher IPC hence why it doesn't matter if the amd chip has twice as many threads, it'll still beat it in performance.
You seem like the kind of guy that would stick with the fx 8300 series chips just because they were "eight cores"
Don't bullshit here talking about the i5 is the same as the ryzen 5. You go to any dam video out their and you know you'll be wrong.
I'm not saying AMD is bad, I'm saying you're bullshitting

Look at the benchmarks and current prices, the current prices show that they're at $300 an msrp doesn't overrule the here and now when they're buying it soon. The prices won't go back to $250 for a while. Also the ipcs are actually equal lol, ryzen was a huge step up and Intel has been using the same architecture for many generations...

The 4ghz boost is a dream, it'll never happen, the i5 is a binned i7 that didn't work out

often parts wont go in easily, dont be afraid to use a hammer

Also you're talking about gaming benchmarks, the one of few things ryzen does poorly on due to many games not utilizing all of the cores yet, and it's behind while also being unnoticeable because it's above your monitor Hz rate lol. Where it's faster in everything else where it does have a noticeable time difference. Also in newer games the ryzen 5 does better and the i5 does worse with it being under 60fps and being noticable

This

just add an SSD to what user said and you're good to go.

also to check benchmarks on CPU's and GPU's try videocardbenchmark.net/
gives you actual performance and price comparison in an easy to read chart

delet sys 32

Here, please refute this video my man.
Watch it too op
youtu.be/d8uWMUD_-z0
I already told OP to get the 1600x if he's planning on building it really soon. If he's going to build it in the next two months then he might as well go with the 8600k. The prices WILL go back down once they get stocked up and the dozens of other motherboards get released.
It was at 4ghz for me. I'll do some testing later to see what you're talking about. The 8600k I have clocked comfortably at 4.6ghz for the time being.

not necessarily true, you can easily find a 250GB SSD for under 100 bucks nowadays

That's expensive per gb though, people who don't understand how amazing an ssd is wouldn't see the worth in it for the price.

I remember when they came out you could easily pay 2 bucks a gig, so compared to that it's cheaper than a crack whore

first of all, this isn't /adv/ or Sup Forums

second, you are fucking retarded if you can't put together a pc

I'm not even kidding or trolling

It would be good to know what are your funds.

not everyone knows how to put a decent PC together. You don't need to be such a faggot about it

Yea the i5 bears the ryzen currently for gaming, but if you look at the fps, it's above most people's Hz rate so he wouldn't be able to notice anyways, and it'll only get better as time goes on with vulkan and dx12 getting better use cases and updates to utilize more cores ofc same with the i5, just to a lesser degree.

>reddit
THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU

Yo OP, you went here and not to technology, so I hope you're ready for carefully forged instructions on how to make a fully rigged bean-setup you sexy motherfucker.

Heh Heh Heh.

everyone starts somewhere, faggot.

>There is nothing wrong at all with AMD cpu's
There is everything wrong with AMD cpu's they're garbage get nvidia.

Well no one was trolling, we all just took a break from jerking off the tech community is pretty kind

or, er, intel for cpu's. never AMD.

I like the nvidia cpus though, the phone ones.

how about you start with google, then, you goddamn brainlets

Thanks you. I saved this

nvidia CPU's are shit ARM processors

How about dem Intel phone cpus, are you gonna make fun of them too

Yeah for CPU's I corrected myself to Intel. Nvidia is great for GPU's, though.

haven't tried one, so no

make sure mobo is compatible with case
make sure mobo has enough SATA ports and the right kind for what needs to be connected from case and other connections
make sure cpu is compatible with mobo socket
make sure PSU can supply enough power for all your hardware
dedicate an SSD for ONLY your OS and use whatever else for your storage
make sure to ground yourself before installing any hardware
DOUBLE CHECK ALL HARDWARE COMPATIBILITY

theres a few off the top of my head tips for building your first pc

reddit.com/r/buildapcsales

Save some cash while you smash

Make a list on pcparpicker as well and post it on Reddit next time instead

Wow, not much of a rebuttal. You know dam well games aren't going to be using all of the threads the CPUs have to offer any time soon. Battlefield 1 for instance uses up a lot of cores compared to the rest of the games that released over the past 2 years. The 8400 still performs better than the 1600 even though it has half as many threads.
You even go on to say that it only has a clock speed of 2.8ghz base yet it still beats the 1600.
Nothing more is going to change. We didn't even talk about the 8600k here. Cmon, just stop it user. Only games the ryzen chips will outperform in are the games like civilization or city skylines. Games that are solely cpu dependent.
Even if the fps is above most people's refresh rate, that's also gpu dependent. Most of these cpu benchmarks are tested with high end GPUs. We don't know if OPs getting that so we don't know what his fps is gonna be. I'd rather not have my lowest frames be under 60. Once frames dip, the game stutters and its very easy to notice when it happens.

nerds

just leave us alone chad

Logical increments
Google it

>THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU
A cumulative source of information that can help someone searching for that very information? Nah fuck it because there are cancerous subreddits filled with cunts, unlike the glorious bastion of Sup Forums which most certainly doesn't have entire boards dedicated to fucking my little pony characters.

Select your CPU and build around it. Find a mobo that matches the cpu, find a Chassis and RAM to match the mobo, etc. It all falls into place.

Only use SSD drives, stick with Intel and Nvidia, especially if you dabble with linux.

if OP needs help building a PC I doubt he uses linux

2560x1440 monitors are the sweet spot ATM.

Good point user.

Delete System 32

Don't do this, obviously i mean i think we all know this by now
what you want to do is go into your windows folder and delete a file titled boot
will help speed up your loading time and will clear the boot cache of items that slow your pc during the start up sequence