Luciferian Towers

npr.org/2017/09/14/550446122/first-listen-godspeed-you-black-emperor-luciferian-towers

Listen to it here senpai

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/NBJoNhcArN4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>on F a m/Famine
>nothing interesting has happened yet

its fuckin lit

NO
EXPORT
TO
I S R A E L

This just felt aimless

Wait, this thing is out and nobody is talking about it?

Sup Forums and jews have memed every attempt to discuss it to death

ascunder sweet sounded really bad in the npr stream. is it the same here? It almost ruined the experience for me

>le Sup Forums boogeyman
Everyone shitposts every time the album is mentioned because it sucks. The first track was released and it came with a cringey as fuck manifesto about being anarcho-communists and the song itself was derivative and boring. Ded band.

It'd help if the music gave something to talk about

This started the instant the album was announced and before anything was released, stop pretending and own up to it

lol own up to what? What the fuck do you think this website is? Are you trying to shame me on an anonymous imageboard?

I'm shaming you for pretending to not have done something on an anonymous imageboard
Imagine being THIS much of a coward when there's nothing at stake.

>inb4 fuck drumpf and fuck white people

You're punching at the wind. Who exactly do you expect to "catch"?

>another 40 minute album
let me know when they release something more substantial

Did they really go avant garde metal like the promo material suggested?

Sounds kind of latin
Might one say...mariachi Mogwai?

t. swans fan

hey Sup Forums watch this: I'm gonna close this thread, listen to this album, and probably enjoy it because I really like Godspeed's work.

I'd honestly rather Efrim made some more ASMZ than new GY!BE

Basically everyone in this thread should gas themselves alive.

k pleb

more a gybe guy desu

Senpai / Famine is aight

>mariachi
It's like people have never heard F#A infinity or any Morricone soundtracks

it's alright but they killed Railroads

It's good but I think that the NPR stream is diminishing the quality.

The spotify release of the last track sounds so much better

Just trying to make the mariachi slipknot joke sorry

Besides Mladic, I haven't been that impressed with their return

why does it sound like it was recorded in the same session as asunder?

so far the only moment i liked was the end of bosses hang pt III

Same engineers, mixing team worked on it. I agree that the production isn't unique at all

We Drift Like Worried Fire is also great. Honestly I'm impressed with that whole album.

Well... that was dissapointing. Splitting the big tracks in parts was a terrible idea, the way the tracks grow feel less natural than in previous albums.

Pleneian

That whole album is great but that's because they wrote it before the hiatus...Asunder is their worst release imo.

This is the sound of a band running on empty. The sound of a group whose legendary status is pushed aside and instead replaced with a cheap imitation. The sound of a band not caring. The sound of a band striving to achieve yet ultimately failing horribly. GY!BE still have a special place in my heart, of course, but Luciferian Towers feels like a mockery of what they do best and an overall “fuck you” to the genre they helped define. What should have been a brand new creative peak for the band is instead a soft, quiet whimper. GY!BE have many impressive, stellar, and unparalleled releases. This is definitely not one of them.

k but how's the actual music though

Shit

>album art is a black & white photo of a derelict building: the band

every time a band writes something minimalist or stripped down some asshole has to come along and say they have no ideas because music can only move in one direction apparently: more, louder, faster, and anything other than that means "they're not even trying". This is braindead criticism that doesn't mean anything

it sounds ok but i'm waiting for a real leak/the bandcamp release because the audio seemed different on the first track than the version on their bandcamp

They just lack ambition and inspiration these days. Their creative peak was 17 years ago. Just look at the lengths of these releases and that tells the tale. They'll keep most hardcore fans happy with these releases, tour, please Constellation, make some cash, release another shallow 40 minute allbum, rise and repeat.
It's weird to see this band cater to anyone, much less itunes, Constellation or whatever/whoever made that decision

Their new music isn't minimalistic at all. They've traded their Reich/Pärt/Górecki influences for bands like Neurosis/Earth/Swans/Hawkwind/The Dead C

I'd agree if this album wasn't uninspired stream of consciousness post-rock. Just felt like aimless playing the whole time.

it's repetitive but it feel meandering, the tracks carry almost no emotion or tension.

They're bordering self-parody. These releases are just cashins to make fans/Constellation happy. The imagination is gone.

I think I'm agreeing with you
Maybe. I think the more likely reason is that they're older now. No where near as politically motivated (and yes I've seen the press release), artistic, and have more stable ordinary lives.

Reminder that you're all retarded and giving into a knee jerk reaction on some really layered music with ample twists and turns. If Fantano or p4k praise this and you flip your stance on the band and their music, please do me a solid and give up on music for the remainder of your existence.

it is minimalist in the sense that it's not immediately attention-grabbing and isn't trying to be. even though a lot of gy!be songs are slow burners with a lot of empty space, their guitar playing is normally quite "hooky" and is actually similar to a lot of post-hardcore, hence why they did an album with Albini with post-harcore style drumming before splitting up. Earth also jacked the nu post-rock style Godspeed used to play for their recent albums

These new gy!be releases don't have a ton of empty space though. Timbre wise, they no longer sound like a band inspired by those minimalist composers. The chamber aesthetic and production values are gone, and the emotional aspect of their music has radically changed.
>their guitar playing is normally quite "hooky" and is actually similar to a lot of post-hardcore, hence why they did an album with Albini with post-harcore style drumming before splitting up.
No disagreements here.
>Earth also jacked the nu post-rock style Godspeed used to play for their recent albums
I think they have definitely borrowed some textures from them along with the other artists I mentioned.

this goes from 5/10 to a 7/10 with that on it
agreed
agreed
it's spiritless
people actually change their ratings because of those two?

I expect them both to rip this album apart, so no issue here

>They're bordering self-parody
>tfw they're doing this on purpose

it's great

My thoughts:
>Undoing a Lucifierian Towers
Like the cacophony. 8/10
>Bosses Hang
Not bad. Why do those guitars sound like shit at the beginning though? 7/10
>Famine
A worse version of the first track 3/10
>Anthem for No State
They butchered this one with that 6 minute removal. And once again the guitars sound like garbage. 5/10

This record has some major production and editing issues

sounds like a slightly better version of Asunder which was nothing special in the first place

i'm talking about quiet and subtle vs. loud and immediate. i don't really see how classical enters into it. their music never had more than the barest, most surface level resemblance to classical music. other post rock acts like Rachels, maybe. but Godspeed was always a heady reinterpretation of pop music.

I'm talking sound and sonically as well. I'm not saying that their music has a technical resemblance to classical music, but sonically Slow Riot and LYSF did share a resemblance. They're more loud and immediate now, where the artists they were previously inspired by were more quiet and subtle

I like it but yeah it really sounds exactly like the previous album.

10/10

Would you rather have them relaese 120+ minute tedious albums ala latter day Swans?

no just something more complete like they used to

There's some very heavy drone but I wouldn't call it metal

Pretty much my thoughts on it. Though I do like Bosses Hang enough to give it a 8/10.

Why do people hate Assunder? I don't get it, it doesn't reach the quality of Mladic but if you take it as just one song (Behemoth) it is pretty good, with an amazing ending. Is it because of the long drone section?

It's because it doesn't feel like one song as opposed to the live version
also production sucks

Something about the mixing on this is killing me, it's just a mess of too much sound and I can't pick anything out

Dude, I've been hyped for this album for 2 years for 1 reason. I saw them play Railroads live in 2015 and I think my fucking brain melted. Like, holy shit, when Moya started twangin' out that Morricone shit (the part that is now AFNS III) I literally watched the whole band look up and smile. They stared at the floor for 2 hours and then there was this moment of "fuck yeah that's good shit". And they fucking neutered it.

The flow of the song is so fucked now. The transition between I and II is just, well, abrupt at best. ANFS should have 4 parts, because cutting part II is the worst thing they've done maybe ever. Shit, even if you hated Asunder you got what they played. They didn't change a fuckin' thing with it and it was for the best. Shit man, the buildup in (what WOULD be) Part II was one of the best things about the song.

I would say something about the rest of the album but, desu, Buildings was always "cool" but it was never good or great GYBE. The best thing I can say about the other 2 tracks is that they aren't more half-effort aimless drones like we got on Asunder and ADBA. Oh, and let's not even get into the mixing on this album. Christ, never thought I'd be nostalgic for the mixing quality on Yanqui.

Son of a bitch I am so goddamn butthurt and melting down and QQ and go ahead and make fun of me but FUCK ME couldn't they have just said "fuck it" and done the full, badass version of Railroads? I could forgive the rest of the album but they castrated the one truly good thing they've done since they returned.

Signed,
A fucking huge GYBE fan who knows it's probably over at this point.

Probably in part because it's a NPR stream.

I used to cry all the time to their albums.
Their 2012 effort made me turn my life around.
Sad to see such great band turn up two shitty albums one after another.

The mixing on this is even worse than on Asunder.

Before I listen, is this more like lift your skinny fists and f# or is it more like the trash that is the allejuha one and asunder

Because they should have made Asunder into an EP. That's one album that actually should have been edited down.
Agreed. Everything sounds congested.
We'll always have the Hamburg version of Railroads user. Agreed on the mixing. I'd take the skeletal mixing on Yanqui over this mess
I don't think the uptick in quality is going to hide the production issues
agreed :(

It's more like the latter. Be prepared for another shallow 40 minute release. At least ADBA had better production

I like the change in compositional style from the long builds to a more ebb and flow one (ala Yanqui). Sonically, they have drastically regressed though. There's nothing about these sounds that stand out among any other Post Rock or Noise Rock group

the problem is that it isn't just one song, which is what it should have been

seems like do make say think are the only post rock band worth their salt

>tfw missed that tour because my ride bailed at the last second so I decided not to drive the 2 hours to the show.

trips don't lie. that new DMST album delivered the goods.

For everyone criticizing the mixing/production, Greg Norman seems to be the common denominator as he was the recording engineer on both LT and Asunder. He also mixed Mt. Zion's Fuck Off Get Free a couple of years ago , and has been the engineer for Pelican, Russian Circles, and Locrian in the past.

Waste of trips on the most overrated post-rock band of all time

>tfw you'll never get to see Railroads live
that makes sense

The ending (kinda?) captures the magic from lift and fa, but its said that i needed to listen through this whole pile of shit to get to something.

Their earlier releases triggered some emotions i never even know i had, but this just feels bland, not as bad as asunder, but still fucking bad.

And the worst part is - i dont really know if it is me getting older or them.

No way, this is way worse than Asunder. The first and last song of Asunder at least had some direction and interesting parts that made up for the droning. This just felt like rambling.

>Do Make Say Think releases a 60 minute album, gybe can barely make a 40 minute one
kill me now

this 100%

To each their own. I loved yanqui, i loved dont bend, but asunder just fucking broke me, this shit was so fucking boring, it felt like it was some childs first attempt at drone. The first drum lick feels like it goes for 40 minutes, through the whole album. The biggest disappointment in my life, musically, to be honest.

The fact that we could agree that they're both vastly underwhelming shows that they haven't evolved from 2003 at all. Maybe Norsola Johnson, Bruce Cawdron, and Roger Tellier-Craig were more important to the band than we thought?

Not sure about that. I do miss Norsola's cello and Bruce's glockenspiiel though

Yanqui has actually improved over time just because of how appalling the last two releases have been

Only 98 minutes of new music since 2011. They are completely mailing it in...

They gave the band a more chamber ensemble feel and a broader instrumental palette if that's what you mean by important
length /=/ ambition or innspiration

They've declined in both

>Hamburg version of Railroads
I've been searching but cant find what you are talking about.

youtu.be/NBJoNhcArN4

This is what would have taken the album from what it is right now to at least Yanqui level good. On a standalone track basis, Railroads was up there with some of their best.

man this is so fucking good

what happened

that change to G# at 10:24 always makes me hnggg

holy shit, why would they change this?

lol and they replaced Sophie's violin with an organ at 11:50. this fucking band

kek post rock sucks