Tips on quitting smoking, Sup Forums? How long have you quit, how and when did you stop?

Tips on quitting smoking, Sup Forums? How long have you quit, how and when did you stop?

Only thing that stopped me smoking was when I took up running, because it was so counter-productive. Crap advice, admittedly.

It never took a complete hold of me. I just started rolling joints (tobacco and weed) because that was how my friends were smoking weed and it was a fun, easy way to smoke with them compared to bringing my glass water bong with me which is cumbersome to say the least. I started to buy my own tobacco to roll joints for me and my friends whenever they'd come over for drinks and that was what gave rise to habitual smoking. I started rolling up to three joints a day compared to before when I was smoking weed every other day at most.

As for quitting, what worked for me was buying a tobacco substitute for joints. Then I gave away my tobacco. I only rolled one or two joints with the substitute. When you don't get the nicotine, you just aren't motivated.

I realised not too long ago that I don't miss it. When I thought about quitting, I thought I'd miss standing outside, looking up at the stars and smoking my joint. I don't. That was the nicotine.

So, TL;DR, try a substitute to help with the cravings. Get rid of your tobacco altogether. If you don't buy it, you can't smoke. Find a fun distraction and utilise willpower. Good luck.

Quit after many years. My answer was to just say, "I'm done." And I was. Basically a one to two pack a day guy all that time. Body finally said, "Enough!" and I listened. Good luck. It's an unhealthy and expensive habit.

Out of sight, out of mind.

Excersice.

The only real way is to stop cold turkey and give it time.

I and a lot of others start to associate it with stress relief so a replacement activity to calm yourself like drawing or something also helps.

stop cold turkey and dont make up bullshit excuses for yourself to continue smoking, thats what i did.

I feel you. My friend quit smoking but carried on with weed. He kept purchasing tobacco for joints and pipes and would always get addicted to nicotine again due to having it there. I bought him one of the tobacco substitutes once but he said the stuff looked like pocket lint.

>I'd miss standing outside, looking up at the stars and smoking my joint

this is it. Those meditative cigarette moments are underestimated

Transitioned to vaping after being a heavy smoker for nearly 20 years. Was pretty rough for a couple of months, your body is addicted as much to the other shitty chemicals they put in it other than nicotine, but no nasty chest infections this winter.

>be me
>smoking since 16 in HS
>be 41
>have heart attack in front of kids
>triple bypass
>doctor says "stop smoking, user"
>stop smoking

Nothing wakes you up like having your chest sawed in half. BTW: That fucking hurts real bad too, in case no one has ever told you that.

The substitutes either look weird or they smell weird. The point is that you can roll the joint and you won't enjoy it. I still have about 99% of the substitute I bought and I doubt I'll ever smoke it again.

Those meditative moments are wonderful, but you don't have to smoke to have them. Go for walks, listen to music, take up actual meditation. The thing about quitting is that you will throw up every conceivable road-block you can think of, no matter how ridiculous, just to convince yourself that you don't really want to quit.

That, is the nicotine. That's the addiction. You know that quitting is a good idea. You know it'll save money, you'll have more energy, you'll be able to run far, far further and faster (could come in handy) and you won't smell anymore.

When you actually quit, when you decide "this is it", then it'll probably be easier than you think. You just need to convince yourself that there is no turning back. Ignore every little plea that you make for yourself and just do it.

Nice digis anonymous. It's a very expensive habit if you tally up annual expenditure besides other habits.

Regarding smoking and physical health it's hard to care. These days you don't want to live "too long" as the body outlives the mind.

It's healthier to not be mood-dependent on cigarettes, the real benefit is to be free from cravings

Only smoked for a year or so, a little less. The problem isn't the cigarette, the problem is the routine of going outside and taking a break from whatever you are doing. That is actually pretty nice. If I could take a break from what I was doing without cigarettes, that'd be gold. Sadly can't. No motivation without the cigarettes.

What I think is beneficial is this concept: A smoker who smokes cigarettes lives their lives withdrawing from nicotine. Some users adjust their intake to every 2 hours; a couple a day, one a week, or one every half hour. They're always withdrawing no matter what - people smoke cigarettes because they're withdrawing from nicotine.

People who stop smoking live like that for a couple weeks max before the body ceases to crave. People who stop and then smoke a cigarette feel a light-headed rush for two minutes and then its like they didn't smoke at all...but they'll wanna smoke again.

Mind is weird!

Heroin
Not smoked for months

Zowie! I totally failed to note the quad zeroes attached to my post. Gonna celebrate with my current worst addiction- a pint of locally brewed ale !

I think a company in Sweden or Denmark recently gave their non-smoking employees an extra day or two holiday a year because of this.

buy e-cig and slowly downgrade to those nicotine free fluids my friend stopped smoking like that.

The good thing about a pint is: if you drink enough of them, every pint henceforth is the first pint.

Amen and amen, my brother. Behold the brew!

I've recently quit, I'm on my fourth day. I make it as hard for myself as possible, I have my pipe and tobacco laying around, let my friends smoe in my house, and go to bars to expose myself to smoke. That makes my decision more fundamental to myself, and leaves me no choice but to keep going.

It's a choice I have made, not something I decided on a whim. I've chosen this, and I'll combat it in whatever situation is required of me.

Jut today I sat with one of my friends cigarettes, ready to light it up, when I realised "I've gone through four days, why not keep going ? It can only get better". All this is cold turkey from a pack to one and half pack a day for the last 14 years. I've had enough, I'm an ex-smoker now. just make the decision, and then stick to it