Do we actually really literally know how/why magnets work?

Do we actually really literally know how/why magnets work?

Other urls found in this thread:

abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?isbn=0471345296
twitter.com/AnonBabble

maybe

The HOW yes to a great degree. The WHY is not really in the realm of science proper.

yes.
/thread

>really literally know

What is an electron, observable with an electron microscope.

Why do electrons spin? And why are some up and some down?

The best "why" is that they have these fundamental proprieties because their present conditions necessitate them to be that way. I know it is not very compelling but it is the best we can do while being inside the system we are trying to observe.

We fully understand most of the physics behind it.

But ofc we can't really explain why physics is what it is so YES we do know how magnets work but if you're a dumb faggot that believes magnets are a wonderful source of mysteries and power, nothing will convince you that you're wrong.

There's a lot of scientific literature out there about magnets, but they're all basically saying that it's M A G I C.

One more question. Does the north pole of a magnet attract electrons and South repel them?

no

Well, there goes my whole understanding of electromagnetism that I thought I had

What level of study are you comfortable with? I can recommend some reading.

How do magnets in generators get electrons to flow?

Jokes aside, if an electron is still (still electrons are bullshit but let's say we have one) it's not affected. If it's moving in a magnetic field, it kinda goes in a circle without being attracted to the north or south.

There is no "why" in science. Why is a question about reason, motives or purpose. The natural state of the world has no purpose, it just happens. Science explains the mechanisms that appear in the world.

Ahh fuck man! It finally just clicked. Thanks

abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?isbn=0471345296

Have some paint madskills. If you want a better explanation, giyf

We understand how magnets work, but we don't understand why moving charges create magnetic forces. Magnets work because metal atoms can align themselves so their electrons all orbit the nucleus in the same direction. electrons moving around a nucleus create a small magnetic charge by the equation F=qv x B (x is cross product). and all those tiny electron forces add up since there are so many atoms and electrons.

despite you paint skills you have it right.

Fuck i'm such a faggot for not cropping it. Kinda adds to the unique artstyle though.

Actually nvm. The more I think about it, the more confused I get

Nerve gas

God's little miracles

I got a PhD in this and I still fuck myself up when I think about it - magnetism is weird

Yo you bitches know how magnets work!

When you spin a coil of wire in the presence of a magnetic field the electrons start getting a magnetic field and then due to one the 'hand rules' the coil experiences a force and starts to spin?

Is this accurate?

The wire has protons in it, they spin with the rest of it and negate the effect so nothing happens.

close, but no.

If you move a coil in a magnetic field, you'll generate a voltage in it.

If you move a charge in a magnetic field, you'll generate a force on it.

Kind of! You don't have to spin it though, when a wire is moved through a magnetic field orthogonally (the wire moves perpendicular to the magnetic field "lines") then the electrons inside the wire feel a force according to the right hand rule, and begin moving, creating a current in the wire.

Then how the fuck do they get the electrons moving in the first place?

here is a picture. The Xs are magnetic field lines that are going into the page.

I don't really understand the question...

A movement of charge is current, not voltage.

because of drugs

Why penis?

Ok. I think I know what I need to ask you to understand this but I can't organize my thoughts well enough to form a coherent question.

I gotta quit thinking before I get a headache. But thank you for the answers

The universe doesn't track individual particles. It doesn't keep track of "This electron is number 45039237." or "That photon is number 23876476." It considers all elementary particles to be the same one in different places. And where exactly it is can be a mystery too, because the universe tracks position and velocity like a spread in a betting pool. So when you want to know where something is, or even if it's there, you have to do Feynman path integration. Which is a nasty beast of summing up all the possible ways a particle could be there and what it could be doing, or have done. The possible particles that appear in that calculation are called virtual particles, and though the particles themselves aren't real, the effects of them on the math very much are. And this means if you point all the atoms of iron in the same direction, they make a forcefield where other particles either should or shouldn't be. That's what makes magnets push, pull, or spin. They emit virtual photons, which interact with the electrons in other objects, making them "touch" despite not being right up against each other. These virtual photons are also what stops your hand from phasing through the top of your desk like a ghost - but because your hand and desk aren't magnetic they don't shoot that forcefield very far, and instead of it happening inches away and making your hand fly off your desk, it only happens a few atom-lengths away and stops you from pushing through into your desk. When you put your hand on your desk and push down and feel it push back, you're actually feeling the same forcefield as when magnets repel. Just at much shorter range.Virtual photons are what it means to be touching something.

electrons have spins because when they are paired to an atom, they aren't moving as fast as when they are free, so their linear momentum is converted to angular momentum in order to conserve momentum. The up down pairs of spins for electrons happen because the spin will align with the direction of orbit either and so can only "add" or "oppose" that direction (like clockwise orbit and clockwise spin is adding, and clockwise orbit and counter clockwise spin is opposing). The up down pairs attract each other because they cancel the fields created by their spin and become more stable as a pair.

And deeper into the confusion hole I fall..

It's turtles all the way down to the unified field theory which we don't have yet.
Here's the fun part. If general relativity was wrong, your cell phone wouldn't work because GPS data wouldn't be accurate and towers wouldn't know what to do with your call as you moved about. If quantum mechanics was wrong, then your cell phone wouldn't work because your CPU, battery, and SSD storage depends on electron tunneling.
But general relativity and quantum mechanics CAN'T BOTH be right. General relativity says that singularities only ever suck and turn into black holes and that big bangs are impossible. Quantum mechanics says that singularities should only ever blow and all should be big bangs and that black holes are impossible.
But your cell phone fucking works. And we have big bangs and black holes.

Now where is the proof of that ?
It is possible that we haven't discovered the ID-tag on those udders yet.

The proof of that is called Bell's Theorem.
Long story short, we can trick the universe into doing quantum error checking. It lets us switch out particles for free, count the bits inside them, and know for sure there's no ID-tags.

Reading this thread I'm wondering why we all made fun of ICP for questioning this shit.

Can someone explain how it work so even a potato brain could understand?

Yes actually we do

No we actually do, study some physics. It's advanced physics yes but magnetism js one of the things we understand pretty much entirely, unlike gravity.

Magnets are telekinetic and shoot forcefields made of invisible lasers.

what are those "invisible lasers" ?

It's made of light. But none of it goes at your eyeball because it has to hit the other side of the magnet due to riding the forcefield. So you can't see it.

just like black holes do?

This guy gets it

because of the flat earth, duh

Not quite. But I'm explaining for potato. So I have to use shit analogies. Because the right answer is a math formula that looks like a mad wizard tried to learn how to draw greek letters but got distracted by minesweeper.

Now explain if I know a little about everything, don't use hard things, it's not necessary

Light is made of electricity and magnetism. Electricity and magnetism are actually kind of twins. If you move electricity, it makes magnetism. If you move magnets, they make electricity. The faster you move a magnet, the more electricity you make. If you move a magnet at lightspeed, which you can't do because it's matter, it becomes entirely electric. Same backwards for electricity.

The electrons in a magnet spin a certain way. If you point the atoms so there's a bias instead of it being random, you end up with a magnet. The electrons move in a way that agree with each other, so you can feel them from further away than when they're scrambled and overwriting each other.

Why does a moving electron create a magnetic field?

yes, magnets are metals that are ions of strong positive or/and negative charge

an electron is NOT what an electron scope sees, its just using the electrons(current) to visualize atoms

Thanks for the little explanation
So what are Electricity and magnetism ? Just electrons movement ? What's the real difference there?

they do not.

all magnets are actually holograms generators

word

Electromagnetism is one of the four fundamental forces. Its exchange particle is the photon - meaning any time two electrical charges attract, or magnets repel, photons are flying from one to the other to push or pull them.
The difference is, electrical charges tend to be monopoles. The electron is not like a magnet. It doesn't have a north and a south. It's negative. It spits a negatives out in a sphere. The Up quark doesn't have a north and a south. It's positive. It spits 2/3rds of a positive in a sphere around itself. One of the rules of electric fields is that every negative and positive that spit out have to meet somewhere to hit in the middle to cancel. That's called the electric field, and we usually represent it with "field lines" when we draw it on paper. We start every line on either a positive or negative charge, say how much is in that line, and draw it to the opposite charge. And we're not allowed to make any lines cross.
So if I had one up quark and one electron drawn on my paper, I could draw eight lines named "1/12th" and connect the electron to the up quark with all eight lines. But now I've got a problem, because this electron has four more "1/12ths" that have to go somewhere. And I'm out of particles on my page. So I draw a big circle around everything and call the circle "to infinity" and say that the circle has a positive 1/3rd charge. Then I draw my other four lines from the far side of the electron, and spread them out around the circle. Somewhere in the universe, the spare charge will find its opposite.

Magnets on the other hand are bipolar. They have a north and a south. You can't have any piece of a magnet that doesn't have both. You can't rip a northtron or south quark out and throw it over there.

And here's where general relativity comes into play. This is why moving matters. Because if you move, you stretch or squish your frame of reference. -- more.

So if I get in my spaceship and fly at nearly the speed of light north past a magnet, what I see is the north pole coming at me really fast, and I don't see the south pole at all because it's been redshifted away. The north pole of the magnet is now a monopole. But only when I'm near lightspeed.
Similarly, if I fly at an electron really fast, I see the positive charge coming closer, and the space between them fading away, until they become a dipole. But only when I'm moving at lightspeed.

Light however, which is the particle that checks this stuff, ALWAYS moves at lightspeed. And it's always faster than any moving magnet or electron. So when you start moving a magnet, light says, "Yep, that's electricity." And vice versa.

never had the chance to find such a good explanation, thanks!

>When big energy doesn’t want science to develop a method to harness, produce, deliver electricity from the atmosphere.

rip Tesla.

I'm bad with the math, but good with the concepts. If there's something else you wanna know about, lemme know.

Science understands it, but I am too retarded to understand it.