Is it better than pom pom?

is it better than pom pom?

I'm about to find out in roughly 46 minutes

I'm about to find out in roughly 36 minutes

I'm about to find out in T minus 10 minutes jimbo

hooray.

I'm about to find out in roughly 26 minutes

Yes.

Really? How does it compar to his easier stuff?

the earlier stuff will always be his best. but this album is mostly good. some songs have this weird haunted surf rock motif that im starting to come around to. its interesting he never really did it before.

im very upset about the production on I Wanna Be Young though

I'm about to find out in roughly 16 minutes

There's just 5 hours left until you find me dead.

Omg this is so much better than what I originally thought of the leaks. Anyone know who the female vocals are on Feels Like Heaven and Kitchen Witch?

Reminder that this board won't care about this album until ANTHONY KEKTANO reviews it in a few days.

:( it did when it leaked though, there was good discussion about it then.

ive seen this discussed and posted consistently since it was leaked

Discussion will light up again when Pitchfork gives it an 8.7 tonight

Can someone hook me up with the full quality link now that it's out?

listening now for the first time. seems like pom pom with more of before today thrown in. liking it.

This is a very surface level analysis.

8.2 BNM

lmao i'm surprised conde is even allowing them to give it a bnm considering ariel's track record

well i havent finished it yet. cant comment on it until i hear it once or twice

Ok he needs to drop a whole fucking album with Dam-Funk, shit is too good.

I thought they were going to give him an 8.7 because Ryan Schreiber wrote that on one of his instagram posts.

Same lol. I didn't think they were going to give him bnm due to the lack of best new tracks for any of his singles + his controversy. Happy for Ariel tho this album totally deserves it.

Bump

Before today > pom pom> Dedicated to bobby > Mature themes
not gonna list the lofi albums cus theyre shit

kys

Just listened to it twice. The opening song kind of just throws you into the album. It's supposed to be a concept album, but it really doesn;t come across as such. The sound quality really wavers from song to song. It goes from crystal clear production quality to something that sounds it was recorded over a payphone. It's cool Ariel went back to his old lofi aesthetic, but its distracting how much the tracks differ in quality. There are a couple of treasures, but theyre mostly the singles. Songs like Dreamdate Narcissist and Acting are just terrible. Acting is bad early 10's vaporwave with autotune. Album is okay, maybe it will grow on me.

6/10

>time to kill your god
>artist is jewish
made me think

"fun" album but its feels like every song is a tribute to some artist or style

Acting is a great song. Youd appreciate it more after hearing Damfunks version

just listened to the first track. trash.

I'm going to listen to the album again before I give a final judgment. I just wanted to listen to the album at least twice before I read someone else's opinion. Acting feels really out of place with the rest of the album, not that there's a lot of cohesiveness to begin with. Maybe it's just my hate of autotune, it was done to death.

Probably Soko? No idea, but it sounds like her.

Production on I want to be Young is awful, bit the same thing is true for a lot of other songs. Dreamdate Narcissist is a crime.

>but its feels like every song is a tribute to some artist or style
Is this your first time listening to Ariel Pink?

Yes actually I downloaded the leak for this few months ago and that was it, was gonna listen to pom pom but haven't gotten around to it yet

oh and I heard one of his older tracks from like 2003 once

Predict the Fantano rating

I asked because doing "tributes" and homages to different styles and artists is kind of his thing. Most of his albums have several different genres on them

Charlotte

this guy is correct

>people unironically thinking Before Today through Pom Pom is even close to his early music

How to tell if someone got into him through pitchfork / fantano in one easy opinion

I only know because I am charlotte

strong 7 to light 8

light 7

light dicks/10

doubtful, but "I know you love me but do you think of me romantically" is one heck of a tune

Then buy that's how baby learns on cass then and give me money if u really think my music is good fucker

I have no idea who the fuck you are or what a how baby learns is. Post your shit. Google gives bad results.

release a new song right now and ill give you all of my money which is like 6 dollars

fuck u charlotte

the 128kbps leak sounds better t b h

>intentionally making your music sound like a shit YouTube rip

Fuck off.

No.

But it has some great highs

Strong 6 to light 7

Agreed hahah

Can you confirm that another weekend is written about you?

>It's supposed to be a concept album
no, it's not
>Acting is bad early 10's vaporwave with autotune
no, it's not
you're clueless, amigo

Did he intentionally take a step backwards from pom pom, literally his biggest hit? Was it the new label? I like some of the cuts on this, and like it when he explores some more psychedelic motifs, but a lot of these songs are flat out annoying.

FEEELS LIKE HEAVEN or TIME TO MEET YOUR GOD or TIME TO LIVE are awful hooks. I find myself starting at Death Patrol and then ending the album early.

Is round and round literally the greatest song ever made?

which don't make up for its lowest lows though

>5'4"

fuck off you cunt

He wants to be called The Melon now!

ABSOLUTELY NOT

but it's good

No.

misogynistic music.

what the fuck is this? 1983?

I prefer pom pom but neither of them really stand up to his older stuff. Kitchen Witch, Feels like Heaven and s/t are probably better than anything on pom pom though.

the title track i mean

love u charles

Anybody else here ever check out Vas Deferens Organization

I guess not, but desu, so far so good. Nice solid album.

Yeah some of the songs were totally ruined by bad production. Hes trying too hard to mix lofi and hifi and its not working. He shouldve just stuck with his pom pom gameplan

Pom Pom tried to mix lofi and hifi poorly too

He should either go back to his before today glossy sound or just start making hard lofi like the doldrums again

Time to Meet Your God, Feels Like Heaven, Another Weekend, and Time to Live are my favorites. Some of the others are a bit disappointing, but I'll probably just need to listen to it more.

Mega link please?

Its good but Fright Night is clearly the best song ever made

what ealrier stuff do i need to hear?

I'd go as far as strong 8 tbqh

house arrest, doldrums, worn copy

some people say lover boy but im not too into it

right on the money user

seriously. the best thing about this album was how it got me to rediscover his back catalogue, which i guess im gonna do with every album forever. but recently he hasnt come close to touching his old at home days

SCARED FAMOUS FF AND THRASH AND BURN NIGGER

Only faggy hipsters pretend they like his old stuff. It sounds terrible, even with headphones its hard to make out the lyrics and everything is so scratchy and shrill and inconsistent, just sounds like an amateur recording himself messing around while tripping or something and then never revisiting it

Seriously you're a fucking idiot

/r/theneedledrop: +1!

its almost as if ariel has said several times the only reason he makes music is to recreate the hazy, far off distant childhood memories he has of hearing pop music for the first time on the radio

if you're the kind of person who pretended to like Pom Pom/Ariel Pink after the p4k hypetrain than you should probably just stick to listening to Pom Pom faggot

Nope, I started liking Ariel Pink when Before Today released

lol does anyone else remember Pitchfork aggressively trashing his first five albums back when pf4 was a little more respected

Yeah they gave doldrums like a 5.

It wants to be. But it isnt.
Still good tho

Yes it is.
it is MUCH better than pom pom.

No it certainly is not. Pom pom was so much more enjoyable and memorable, only enjoyed a few of these tracks.

t. Pleb

Stop listening to AP. Listen to the better version, Grimes.

Even ironically this annoys me

Grimesfags truly are the worst

no

"completely stupid and retarded'

explain pls