These are the ultimate shirt numbers

These are objectively the ultimate shirtnumbers. Clubs that use numbers like this have patrician taste. This is objectively the best. Yes, there are some who are also good, but these are the best.

Some are however entirely incorrect: Strikers with #10 need to get shot and tortured since it is the most cringy shit on earth and terribly incorrect. Centrebacks with #2 also need to get killed since it is a rightback number.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_FIFA_World_Cup_Final#Match
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Switch 5 and 6 and we're good

Yeah 5 and 6 can be switched if needed. That is a matter of opinion though. I like them better in midfield.

Why do Serie A players use "PLEASE NOTICE ME" numbers?

Well, Brozovic is an actual near-illiterate retard so it's pretty selfexplanatory. Some people need to get shot, though, like Viviano who is a keeper with #2, de Guzman who is an outfielder with #1.

>defensive midfielder doesn't have 6

you are right but only up to the point when you put the '6' in the defensive line,

it was the '5' who dropped back first, this is why (in British football lexicon) we can use the word "centre-half" interchangably with "centre-back" -- because midfielders used to be called "half" , so the "left-half", is in todays parlance a left-midfielder (or a left-wing-back).

So the '5' was the first to drop back and make the back '2' a back '3' -- then the '4' gradually dropped further back, further back than the '6'.

Louis Van Gaal, for example, only ever uses '6' to mean a (defensive) midfielder.

Even '4' is a popular number with midfielders, for example Fabregas has always worn '4', and Steven Gerrard when he was playing international matches for England would wear '4' (He was an '8' for Liverpool, which suits the theory that he played a more attacking role at club level than for country.)

But otherwise, yeah you're solid,
Even the fact Ronaldo wears 7 but plays on the left - he is right-footed and began as a right-sider.
As for strikes with 10, sometimes at a club 9 is already in use, and they want a low-down number (It makes more sense to have as low a number as possible if you are in the first-team squad).
As for centre-back with 2, same thing really. Sometimes 5 and 4 are in use.

Goalkeeper with number 2 makes sense because sometimes the starting keeper is referred to as a "number one", so then the next in line is his "number 2"

As for outfielder with no.1, at the 1978 World cup Argentina's squad was done alphabetically, so Ardiles was no.1. As for De Guzman, dunno, but i'd like to see it personally.
In terms of Italian league having the wacky numbers, yes it did begin there. I suppose they don't really have the same system of a 2-3-5 that evolved into 4-4-2 that we have in northern Europe, so there were more lackadaisical rules in place regarding numbers.
That's the only reason i can think of, other than just fashion statements in the 90s that have now gotten out of hand.

What if you're a huehue?
----1----
2-3-4-6
--5--8--
7-10-11
----9----

Remember Ivan Zamorano's '1+8' shirt at Inter Milan ? heh.

>#3 and #6 switched
why would you do that

otherwise, p. good

>CB wearing a number above 5

>4-3-3
>10 isn't a gift to the best/most creative player
>no one playing with the 14

Brazil dont (historically) play in a 4-2-3-1, they use a 4-2-2-2 and the width is provided by full-backs.

their numbering would be:
-------1-------
2----3---5------6
------4-----8-------
7----------------10
------9---11------

------18------
28--17--34--11
16--4--13---26
-----30---57----

>4 not a midfield number

Kys

Give me your ideal 352 numbers please

2-3-4-5
8-10
7-9-11

Centre backs are 5 and 6 you mong. 4 is the Defensive mid

TRIGGER WARNING

a lot clubs have retired numbers

>players with the same retarded number in multiple teams (Balotelli, de Jong, Schwinsteiger)
>players with their year of birth as their number
>players with #99 without being a meme goalkeeper

Here's a small list of players that wore #5 for Brazil from '90 and onwards
>Alemao
>Dunga
>Mauro Silva
>Flavio Conceicao
>Cesar Sampaio
>Edmilson
>Emerson
>Mineiro
>Felipe Melo
>Lucas
>Fernandinho
>Fernando
>Casemiro
All DMs, not a single CB with the possible exception of Edmilson who played both positions.

complex and normally involves numbers beyond 1 to 11

but here is a possible 3-5-2
L R
---------1----------
-----3---4---5-----
11---6--10--8---2
------7------9-----

That would be one theory.
Or you could have for example Brazil's 2002 world cup team en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_FIFA_World_Cup_Final#Match
They are similar to mine but the Left back (Roberto Carlos) is a '6' in keeping with Brazilian tradition, and the forwards are 9 and 10, with the furthest forward midfielder (Ronaldinho) the '11'

The oddity here is Kleberson on the number 15. tellingly, the number '7' for brazil in 2002 was Ricardinho, a deep lying playmaker (which would have looked like this -- )

Brazilian 3-5-2

----------1------------
-----3---4---5--------
2---7----11----8-----6
-------9---10----------

Ah right. so in brazil '5' is a DM's number. Edmilson was the one confusing me.

So then their back 4 would have the centre back as the '2' or the '4' I would guess?
Brazilian 4-4-2 / 4-2-2-2

---------1----------
2------3----4------6
-------5---8---------
7----9----10-------11

this guy got it right, tho our CBs wear 3 and 4, like pointed out

and 10 is more centralized

only team I've seen who has tried to live after this system is man utd under Fergie

Left back is 5 centre back is 3 defensive midfielder is 6

Nobody has posted the perfect option yet with ascending numbers from top to bottom and left to right

2--3--4--5
--6--7--8
-9--10--11

The only really redpilled formation imo

am i right in saying Holland's Totaal voetball in the 70s basically this, except Cruyff was wearing 14 ?

This is the right answer

14 as an homage to Cruyff
42 as an homage to Yaya Touré

Picture how 42+8=50

>single digits

>he doesn't play his 7 in the classic 10 position

just embarrassing, frankly

COOLEST NUMBERS POWER RANKING (1-11 ONLY)

1. 7
POWER GAP
2. 9
3. 10
4. 8
POWER GAP
5. 11
6. 3
POWER GAP
7. 1
POWER GAP
8. 6
9. 5
10. 4
11. 2

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who is autistic about shirt numbers. Always triggers me when I see a player wearing a shirt not associated with their position, like Kolarov at City wearing the 11, or Mata at United wearing 8.

1 is for goalkeepers.

2 is for right backs and 3 is for left backs.

4 and 6 can be for either centre backs or defensive midfielders.

5 is for centre backs.

8 is for box to box midfielders.

7, 10 and 11 can be used interchangably, but generally 7 is right wing, 10 is attacking midfielder or striker, and 11 is left wing.

9 is, of course, for strikers.

I don't mind seeing numbers higher than these given to players in those positions, but if you give any of these numbers to players not in those positions, then fuck you.

i went
2-4-6-3
7-5
11-10-8
with personalities and justifications for the numbers and postitions because i have no friends

>2 as a homage to João Pinto and Maxi Pereira

Agree

Brazil's historic 4-4-2d/4-2-2-2 works like this:

---------1----------
2------3----4------6
-------5---8---------
-------7---10--------
------9----11-------

---------1----------
2------3----4------6
---------5------------
-------7---8---------
--------10-----------
-----9-----11--------

- 11 is the other striker's number in a formation with 2 of them
- we've had a fair share of #7 midfielders in club and NT for several decades (even Kaká and Elano worse it for a while)

You were doing so well but 10 is ONLY for playmaker attacking mids and strikers and 7/11 are ONLY for wingers

2 and 3 aren't as uncool as they used to be given the increased trendiness of fullbacks/wingbacks.

I'd say probably 4, 5 or 6 are the most uncool.

7, 9, 10 and 11 are obviously the most patrician number.

2 is the nerdiest of the full backs.

01. 10
02. 9
03. 11
POWER GAP
04. 7
POWER GAP
05. 5
06. 1
07. 8
POWER GAP
08. 2
09. 4
10. 6
11. 3

Nah, 3 > 4

Plenty of strikers have worn the number 10 shirt though. Rooney, Van Nistelrooy, Van Persie, Lukaku, Aguero.

Likewise, plenty of non-wingers have worn 7 and 11. Suarez, Cantona, Neymar, Ozil, Meyer.

Generally speaking you're right, especially in this age where playing two strikers up front is unfashionable and outdated, but as I say they're still used interchangeably.

Kolarov as a wing back who is really more like a left-midfielder (or, left-winger really ) -- 11 as you know is a left-winger's number. I dont have a problem with this.

As for Mata, 8 can be an attacking midfielder's number, and to be fair 10 and other numbers like that were all used up.

Everything started with Ronaldo 99 and Dinho 80

YOU BIGOTS IT'S TIME FOR A CHANGE

Should have given that shirt number to Silva.

A lot of people thought Mata would get the number 7, and most of his time at United he's been playing on the right wing too anyway. Herrera is a player perfect for the number 8 shirt.

Backup edition

12 14 24 15
16 18
17 21 20

Well, yeah that would be possible. But far as i know Silva's never worn 11 for country (He's either 10 or his usual 21 meme shirt number).

And anyway, he isn't really a 'winger', but I do think there can be some leniancy with the numbers in terms of 2-6 are for defenders and 7-11 are for forwards ,and that can chop and change.

As for Mata, yes Herrara is a better 8, but am i right in saying Mata got there before Herrara and took the most available 'forward's number' ?
Mata's more of an '8' than a '7'. If mata just tracked back a little bit he'd be an '8'. Mata is a classic '10', really.

No, the backup #10 wears the #20.

but really,
>backups
who cares

>you now remember there were rumours about Inler being a neo nazi, because he wore the number 88

theres been that for years, about every player who's worn 88.

AFAIK it began with Buffon in the 90s.

Check the 1978 numbers, most NTs used alphabetically ordered numbers

Our goalkeeper had the 5 and a field player had the #1 (but he didn't play) Kempes, just by luck, got the #10

In all honesty City should have retired the 11 after Adam Johnson wearing it.

Silva got played as a winger a lot under Pellegrini, but then his 4-4-2 didn't afford him his natural role which is behind the striker.

As for Mata. He signed in the winter of 2014 and Herrera in the summer. I suppose it made sense him wearing the number 8, but he's not really the kind of player you'd associate with that number.

The number 7 shirt at United should only go to a truly special player. Van Persie would have been perfect for it, but it seems to be cursed these days. Owen, Valencia, Di Maria and Depay all case in point. I expect Griezmann to be a huge flop next season.

retire a number cos a guy chatted to a girl who was months away from being 16.... who hadnt even played for the club in question for a couple of years by that point... bit far isnt it? 23 is retired at City for Vivien-Foe, that's fair enough, the guy died on the pitch.

Pellegrini is wedded to 2 strikes, and a back 4. He does use 4-2-2-2 though, with 2 playmakers instead of 2 wingers. But yeah, Pellegrini is a shit manager. City really stalled under him, and their transfers up to c.2013 had actually been pretty good. It was after Pellegrinin era the transfers became shite.

>striker has the option of 9 or 10
>chooses 10

Besides Zlatan at PSG only second strikers do that, centreforwards tend to pick 9

>Wednesday's 2nd choice keeper wears the #2 shirt
>Striker with #6
>Midfielder with #3

Wasn't being serious.

His first season there they looked incredible, but in his following two years they regressed big time. Getting twatted by Van Gaal's United that relied on Fellaini, Young, Valencia, Smalling and a past it Rooney should have raised more serious questions than it did. Instead the narrative was how Van Gaal was getting the best out of average players rather than why City are doing so badly under a manager who broke records with them the previous season.

They should never have sacked Mancini, he was by far their GOAT manager. Brought in Aguero, Silva and Toure, turned Kompany and even Hart for that one season into world class players. Their three most iconic games were under him (that FA Cup win, the 6-1 and QPR at home) were under him. A lot better under him than they have been under Pellegrini or Pep but they got rid of him because they lost the title to a United side with a Van Persie who was at his absolute peak.

cucked so fucking hard by ronaldo i bet he wishes he'd only fucked his wife

Wrong, 6 is a centre back number
in the same way that 10 isn't a strikers number

He lost the dressing room though. He was a big character who eventually fell foul of the other big characters in the team (and don't even get started on Balotelli).

i broadly agree with this, though towards the end of the 2012/13 season there was a definite dip in Mancini's city side, they got BTFO in the champions league (this was also a regular occurence under Mancini - and at Inter Milan as well - he is a "domestic" manager, he can't handle Cups for some reason -- probably not defensive enough for them)
Towards the end of 12/13 there was a definite dip, and the FA Cup final loss to Wigan actually wasn't a surprise by that point.

By that point it would've taken a brave man to keep Mancini on , desu. He'd signed (or at least helped mould) some absolute world class players but the wheels were coming off the bus.
After that it's been pretty much downhill for City, the signings have been awful

the shirt numbers havent been that great either

6 is left back or center half

since when is 6 not CM or CDM?

also isnt 11 on the right and 7 on the left?

Substitution NUMBERS:

9 - 19
11 - 22
7 - 17
8 - 18
10 - 20
5 - 15
3 - 23
2 - 12
4 - 14
6 - 16
1 - 13

>5 in midfield

heresy

had to check the flag to make sure you werent a dirty sudaca

>this thread

I've never understood why it isn't
9 10 11

i think it came from this

I'd love for this formation to make a comeback

What about 14? Do they not get the same suspicion for that?

But you look at how much they've regressed since then. They were basically in the same situation as United were the previous season, trophyless and playing second fiddle to a team

If they had kept him on I'm certain they'd have won a few more trophies than the mere two League Cups and single title (which was lost by Liverpool, not won by them - you could say that the 2012 title was lost by United but at least they did the double over United).

Can't even remember who had the number 9 shirt under Mancini. Only players who seemed to wear the right numbers were Hart, Kompany, Johnson, Lescott and Dzeko.

maybe unfashionable but never outdated, formations with 2 up front will make a comeback in the next 5 years

>They were basically in the same situation as United were the previous season, trophyless and playing second fiddle to a team

I forgot to add, playing second fiddle to a team that just had a sheer hunger to win games and often found themselves coming back from losing positions.

The funny thing is, that United team was a lot worse than they have now. A midfield of Mkhitaryan, Pogba, Herrera and Mata vs. Young, Anderson, Cleverley and Valencia? Just shows how superhuman Ferguson was.

>his starting 11 uses 1-11 only
Great way to be a boring shithole

Just let the fucking players wear whatever stupid number they want

It works a treat with my 3-4-1-2 formation on FM17. Shitloads of goals and clean sheets.

I wonder if wearing the minute of your most famous goal is allowed

i predict a 442 comeback and then the shift to 3412, aka the logical conclusion of modern football

its pretty much what pep is playing

just with muh triangles

can't wait until chelsea FINALLY has a striker who wears the #9. bothers me a little more than it should that >our starting striker Costa wears the #19.

Kolarov wearing the #11 and Robinson-Kanu on West Brom wearing the #4 will always trigger my autism.

>balotelli
>45
>4+5=9

He wore 9 for Italy and at Nice.

4 is for CB
5 is DM
6 is LB

unless there are 3rd choice

Nice dubs shirt

This is 100% correct.

4-3-3

-----1-----
4--2--3--6
---5------
-------8----
7---10--11
------9------

Curiously neither argentina's '78 nor '86 had number 1 assigned to a goalkeeper.

Pumpido had the #18 in 1986 and Fillol had #5 in 1976

Schweinsteiger and Fellaini both wore the 31 at United. 3 + 1 = 4 = defensive midfielder's number.

Toure wore 42 at City. 4 + 2 = 6 = another centre mid's number.

It's like pottery.

More like 4 and 6.
Same with 8 and 10

>that feel when your club loans out your #10 and #1 and your manager refuses to play your #9

shambles

This 100%

It's frustrating

Also

>tfw the club assigns the number before making a bunch of signings and the best new players get shit numbers

Switch 4 and 5 and it's right

This.

My club triggers me hard.
7 - central midfielder
3 - defensive midfielder (did play fullback once or twice)
8 - winger
9 - winger