Some chubby bitch at work won't stop talking about this new diet she's doing. She calls it Keto

Some chubby bitch at work won't stop talking about this new diet she's doing. She calls it Keto.

Apparently enough people have memed this into existence. The basic idea of the diet is to eat fat and trick your body into burning fat for energy with minimum carb intake.

>Yes, it's a serious thing that people do

Whoever started this movement had to be trolling. "Yeah, just put a stick of butter in your coffee, you'll lose weight!"

Other urls found in this thread:

healthline.com/nutrition/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets
jci.org/articles/view/105552/pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I did it for three months and dropped 30 pounds without lifting a finger. It requires a lot of will power but if you're strong enough it works wonders.

You're mixing things up. There was some troll with the butter in his coffee.

But Keto is a thing and it works.

Have you tried killing yourself, you lose all your body weight in 4 weekz

What the fuck, explain it better

It's literally just a new word for a no carb diet plan. Hell in the 90s we called it Atkins.

>being this indoctrinated by the sugar industry

You should fucking educate yourself before you talk about something you clearly know nothing about.

>I did it for three months and dropped 30 pounds without lifting a finger.

No you didn't and if you did, you should probably get a check up because dramatic weight loss can be a sign of a fucked liver.

Eh well it's just a more extreme version of Atkins. The key difference is that pathogenic diets force your body into ketosis which supplements the lack of carbohydrates with fat as your primary energy source. Basically your getting your body to tap into it's fat stores 24/7. The other benefit is that it seriously curbs hunger so you can easily eat at a caloric deficit without feeling like a new in a concentration camp. The other hidden benefit is that without carbohydrates being metabolized into sugars your insulin response drops dramatically which means more even energy levels throughout the day and a lowered risk of developing diabetes.

Keto is retarded as fuck.

The way it's supposed to work is you stop eating carbs and replace lost calories from carbs with extra fat. What most people do is stop eating carbs, don't replace calories and then start losing weight.

They're losing weight because they're eating less calories, not because they're eating no carbs. They could get the same effect by eating a balanced, healthy diet that includes carbs which are kinda important for your body.

It would be easier to stick to a balanced diet long term than it is to stick to "keto diet".

Oh I'm sorry. When I get home, I'll look more into this magical diet where you eat a bunch of fat and lose weight. My dumbass was doing this whole exercise and healthy eating thing. I'll make sure to pick up some sticks of butter on my way home too.

That sounds extremely unhealthy. People who do this have to feel like shit all day with severe vitamin deficiencies.

I did. Me and my cousin had a contest. He hit the gym a couple times a week and tried to watch what he ate and I went keto.

I smashed him.

>Keto: How to have a heart attack in your 30s

Tldr. Yes Atkins aka low carb diet and I'm a faggot who had to bump it up a notch like vegans did vegetarians.

Meanwhile he's fit and you look like a soy boy

They do feel like shit at the start, first couple of weeks they're cranky as fuck and tired all the time. Then their body gets used to it and adapts.

Eating fat... doesn't get converted into body fat...

>Your body gets used to vitamin deficiency
Huh?

IS IT FREE THOUGH?!

They don't suffer from vitamin deficiencies. Pasta, bread, processed sugar etc is not really rich in vitamins or minerals.

I need to look up whatever source people are using for Keno and do some research on their sales strategies. I can't believe so many people actually buy into this stupid shit.

You are misrepresenting how it works

It works by simultaneously curbing hunger cravings even though your in a caloric deficit which is why most people quit regular diets, they feel hungry. Secondly it eliminates carbs and therefore a large portion of sugar intake.

It's perfectly healthy if managed properly. In fact there are people that live their entire lives on a ketosis diet. People with seizures who don't respond to made have a much reduced incident of seizure when on a ketohenic diet so doctors have been using it medicinally for a long time now.

Please do. Youre foing to feel pretty stupid when you find out that the ketohenic diet is well established and tested.

There is actually one use for keto diet. Some people who suffer from epilepsy stop getting attacks when they ditch carbs.

Doctors don't know why or how it works and it doesn't work for everyone, but for some going keto means no epileptic attacks. That's like the only justified reason to avoid carbs.

>the ketohenic diet is well established and tested.
lol no it's not

Carbs are sugars they're not really that important dude. Also that's not how keto diet works at all. You don't take carbs which means you're taking in less sugar. Your body still needs energy so instead of using sugar it starts to burn off fats instead. It's not a dangerous diet at all or anything if you do it right.

Atkins doesn't take you into ketosis. That's the key difference.

Why are you so butthurt?

This thread reminds me of those spiritual healers who heal people through the power of God.

IT WORKS GUYS IT REALLY WORKS! WTF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT IT'S REAL!

>It works by simultaneously curbing hunger cravings even though your in a caloric deficit

Actually, it doesn't. You can be in caloric surplus and you'll feel like complete and utter shit because you lack carbs.

Carbs are what your brain runs on and without them you feel horrible.

Bullshit. You need carbs.

I'm not gonna argue with keyboard warriors, there's a dude on youtube who covers the topic really well. Search for durianrider. Guy eats opposite of keto, he eats a fuckton of carbs and he's lean and fit as fuck.

Go look him up. He's got plenty of videos where he explains why keto is shit and why carbs are important.

It works very well, but the fanatics that live by it are almost as annoying as vegans.

If you can be bothered, read the first couple of chapters of the South Beach diet.

tl;dr
>ofc butter is stupid, that was a troll
>good, unsaturated fats and lots of protein is the key
>its not about completely avoiding carbs, its about avoiding bad cards, starch and sugar from processed white bread, pasta, rice, and to start off with you avoid sugar from fruit too, to get your body off its sugar addiction

it avoids ketosis by providing enough carbohydrates from good sources such as non-starchy vegetables, nuts, seeds.

and it really, really fucking works.

ketosis is going to result in as user said above, losing weight through restricted calories, therefore losing muscle mass too, plus lots of water weight loss through ketosis which is not permanent.

the principles, applied to a proper diet containing lots of good vegetables, meat, fish, nuts and seeds, are sound.

putting your body into ketosis is a foolish thing to do unless applied as a very temporary measure to overcome a weight-loss/muscle-gain plateau, something these fatty fat-fats will never experience.

Ok dude whatever you say. You seem to be immune to any idea that isn't your preconceived notion. No reason to post in your thread anymore, bye.

Alright now I know you're a troll. Everyone knows durianrider is a pseudoscientific piece of shit who never backed up his wild claims. We're done here.

Holy shit why are people so defensive over Keto? Why do you care this much if it "really works"? It's like insulting the MGTOW movement. They all come out of the woods to defend their movement.

People get defensive over things that are stupid they have a lot of time or money invested in. It's a subconscious effect of knowing how fucking stupid you are and what you're doing but not wanting to admit it. Keto is just giving lazy people an excuse to think they're losing weight. The only people who I've ever met that do Keto are hippies and SJWs.

Spoiler: They don't look too good

>Carbs are sugars they're not really that important dude
What is glycolysis? And what does it make?

I came into this thread expecting some lulz but I learned that keto is a thing people take seriously. Good to know.

>never backed up his wild claims

He did.

He challenged keto fucks to a marathon or triathlon or whatever. They have to be in ketosis and he will be carbed up as fuck. He offered 50k to the person who beats him.

No one even attempted. Not a single fitness trainer or nutritionist or any other keto fanboi attempted it.

Every time someone gets in an argument he posts a pic of him being lean and fit as fuck. No keto fanbois ever post a pic back.

That's pretty much all the proof you need.

yes, he misunderstands the point - but perhaps you wilfully skirt it?

all carbs will undergo glycolysis. refined carbs require no energy to process however.

complex carbs require energy to convert, so you need to eat fiber-rich, whole-food sources.

yes, keto is a fad and a cheat, but its also the start of a simple way to teach that refined sugars and carbs, especially those with added sugar and little fibre and starch, are the main reason for obesity.

Loosing weight is pretty simple, you need to burn more energy then you are consuming. That’s it, and every diet can be broken down to that.

The thing with Keto is, even so fat has a way higher energy density than carbs, a man usually eats way less of it (you can’t substitute a potato by a pice of butter in a 1:1 ratio), and also fat is harder to digest, so the digesting itself costs way more energy.

At the same time consuming fat tricks our brain in thinking we aren’t hungry anymore even though you ate less than you would have eating carbs.

So it’s just another fancy word for something already known for at least a hundred years

i heard that it works on people with fast metabolism

once you actually gain lean muscle mass, your requirements become different.

your body's resting state burns more calories. by your nature, you burn more calories maintaining your body mass.

your calorific requirements increase and your usage changes.

if you are fit and healthy like the guy you are talking about, a massive pile of refined carbs such as a big bowl of white pasta, can be used immediately by the body as energy, instead of stored as fat by a sedentary person.

going into ketosis is a cheat used by the sedentary to encourage weight loss. this will never be more than temporary, or healthy unless its followed by moving to a more sustainable model either based on only eating whole foods and remaining sedentary, or becoming more muscular and active as you take refined carbs back on.

You'd have to have a fast metabolism to lose weight off of eating fat.

this diet has been about since the 60s under different names, mainly the atkins diet. definitely works for weightloss and some long term studies show reduction in rates of cancer, diabetes, heart attack and stroke. Basically, sugar is the enemy.

>definitely works for weightloss and some long term studies show reduction in rates of cancer, diabetes, heart attack and stroke
No it doesn't
No
No
No
and No

again, its not as simple as atkins, keto or south beach stating you can eat unlimited fat.

its understanding there are good fats and bad fats, there are good carbs and bad carbs. that a low-fat diet is no better than a low-carb diet.

>that in fact, a proper diet should contain of good fats, good protein, and good carbs, with as little sugar, refined food (which usually also contains added sugar and salt), and bad variants of the 3.

you don't need to limit fat to be healthy. you need to limit saturated fat.

within reason if you eat whole foods and good variants, you don't need to monitor your fat intake.

Oh here's a tip for losing weight. Try exercising every day, and not putting you body into shock in order to lose weight fast?

an awful lot of people misunderstand why this diet works so well. Eating carbs stimulates the production of insulin in order to regulate blood sugar levels. Insulin is the trigger for the body to lay down excess calories as fat. Very low carb diets mean much less insulin is produced and less fat is stored.

ITT: brainlets with high school level physiology
Keto is probably the most researched and understood diet. It is the only diet thay has been used to treat severe medical conditions such as epilepsy.
Read a book sometime.

>Read a book sometime
Only if it's made of butter. Gotta keep up with my Keto.

>trick your body into burning fat for energy with minimum carb intake.

Does your body not already burn fat for energy whenever it's on a calorie deficit?

again, you're cherry-picking facts.

keto works for *some* epileptics as ketones and decanoic acid *can* reduce seizures in *some* people.

this does not mean that its a healthy diet for healthy people. it *can* work for epilepsy, diabetes and the obese.

but everybody is different, extreme ketosis is poisonous to the body and in all cases, re-introduction of good carbohydrates is recommended after the metabolic changes start to occur.

given the fact that even very pure foods are not "all fat" or "all carb" and people's metabolisms and conditions differ, you cannot make a generalised statement about this diet one way or the other.

only to say that for the majority of people their problems are just as related to intake of sugar, over-production of insulin, and too much saturated fat, as they are to intake of general carbohydrates.

healthline.com/nutrition/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets

23 studies here showing low carb versus low fat diet results.
Every study shows more weight loss, lower cholesterol, lower triglycerides and lower insulin sensitivity in the low carb group.

>all carbs will undergo glycolysis
no, only glucose and fructose will

>refined carbs require no energy to process however.
wrong, glycolysis requires ATP

>complex carbs require energy to convert, so you need to eat fiber-rich, whole-food sources.
semi-correct, complex carb take more energy to break down but alot of them like fiber and inulin can not be borken down well by our bodies and we excrete them

> its also the start of a simple way to teach that refined sugars and carbs, especially those with added sugar and little fibre and starch, are the main reason for obesity.
or just keep it simple and teach it by not using a BS diet

I don't know what the big deal is. I put lindor chocolates in my coffee for flavor/oil. The oil gives it a buttery textures so its super smooth.
If you're a poor fag lindt chocolate bars work too. They don't melt as well but you can get a bar for like $2 and you only need 2 pieces of chocolate to get a good flavor.

shurely all compound sugars are converted to simple sugars in the body?

no energy is a misnomer. little energy, my bad.

point 3 yeah

and on point 4, yes I totally agree. but people are too stupid. they don't want to eat brown rice & pasta. they don't want to eat whole foods, cook fish, use nuts in their cooking. they don't want to cook, period.

i am not advocating keto, at all. simply stating that while a low-carb diet is better than a low-fat diet, neither are a "good" diet; a good diet contains complex carbs, good fats and good protein sources.

yes. that doesn't mean a low-carb diet is a good diet, long-termly. just that it is better than a low-fat diet, and its good for the obese and diabetics.

the trouble is that everything is distorted now because any sample group contains mainly UNHEALTHY PEOPLE!

>mfw eat extremely greasy and high-fat since I was born, never said no to veggies though, basically eat everything
>be 16, underweight, 60kg (about 120lbs) at 175cm (5'8ish?)
>get a deep frier into kitchen at age 19
>nearly live off deepfryer for a month and a half
>gain about 5kg in the whole time, still underweight for 5'11" at that time
I don't know how or why.
I just chomp down what is visible and edible and still barely gain weight, and I was always a computerclinging nerd, I just wasn't lazy, and always helped with the heavy biz (moving furniture or heavy carriage) when asked to.
I got further and further into High-Fat-Diet and it made it even MORE difficult to get to a weight I like.
Greasy stuff makes you feel full for a long while because fat isn't digested that easy.
The thing is, Keto only works if you aren't a fat slob who doesn't have a healthy inner feeling of when the stomach has enough.
It basically blocks you from eating too often or too much and thus reduces your calorie-intake.
You shouldn't be lazy, and NEVER teach your kids to eat up even when they're full. Seriously, it raises them to ignore the sense of when enough is enough, and then you're surprised when your kid turns into a fat slob after you couldn't get enough of stuffing and starving your child periodically. When it's hungry, let it eat. When it's full, respect that. This will condition your child, hopefully a future adult, into just listening to his/her natural apetite and thus taking the calories s/he needs.

yes is it, OP confirmed for being a troll himself

KETO works but isn't for most people

and you care because?

Keto lets you eat butter, but it doesn't require it in any way.
Sounds like your girlfriend is just an idiot.

>shurely all compound sugars are converted to simple sugars in the body?
nope, we do not have enzymes to break down fiber, chitin, inulin and other complex carbs. even the simple carb, fructose, has to be converted to glucose before entering glycoylsis

This. Most retards trying this diet slip out of ketosis and into ketoacidosis, which burns a hole in your liver. Allow me to explain

Ketosis is a natural process the liver can use, where it makes glucose and ketone bodies out of dietary fat. It is a natural process that the human body uses to survive and burn fat stores for energy. It's not a high fat diet, it's a zero carb zero sugar diet and most plebs don't do it right. They just eat more fat without cutting sugars. I was in ketosis for two years, my blood pressure dropped, my bad cholesterol dropped, i lost 150 pounds, my eyesight came back and my baldness stopped growing (im 30). If you do it right, you are eating mostly veggies with fat from natural sources while cutting sugars and carbs. You need to buy urinalysis test strips and test yourself every day to make sure you are in ketosis but not ketoacidosis.

Coffee has carbs, and putting butter in it doesnt suddenly make it keto food. The women from plebbit sharing "keto recipes" are killing each other with their ignorant bullshit. Ketosis is not a beginner diet, it stresses your liver to the max as well as your kidneys because in ketosis anything that's not water will cost more water to digest. You can get diabetes from a fake keto diet, liver failure, kidney failure, and also brain damage from small clots or EMBOLI that enter the brain from eating too much fat. Ketosis is an advanced diet for people like Dwayne Johnson or Arnold. It's not some magic fat burning high fat diet where these dumb whores can eat bacon and butter coffee all day and lose weight. They just get sick and die.

>30 pounds in 3 months
>dramatic weight loss
i did 42 lbs in 50 days, with a little bit of running mixed in
and I wasn't exactly fat to start with (180lbs 5in8ft)
if yo're a really obese fuck you can lose even at faster rate without any problems

YouTube Joe Rogan talking about it....

Pretty much this

lol. keto fucking works.

keep your fat lips off sugar and bread and replace it with protein, and you'll lose weight

i lost 54 lbs on it

LOL bye troll

sorry, i don't agree but we are likely both rushing and simplifying.

>simple sugars don't need broken down
>compound sugars are broken down almost as easily, hence "reduced-sugar" foods using corn syrup is no better for you
>complex carbohydrates / starches ARE broken down into simple sugars
>fibers are also complex carbs, and some can and some can't be broken down by the body. fiber also helps regulate sugar usage reducing spiking

yeah but thats not keto. thats just improving your diet.

most of the keto advocates are cheating anyways. so although they say they are in ketosis, they are not. its very difficult to enter or maintain. all they are doing is eating less bad carbs, some of the time. then having a "treat day" secretly.

and as says if you do get into ketosis by following the diet strictly, health problems aren't far behind.

>simple sugars don't need broken down
no they dont, but only glucose enter glycolysis and the only other simple carb (monosaccharide) that can be converted to glucose by humans is fructose
>compound sugars are broken down almost as easily, hence "reduced-sugar" foods using corn syrup is no better for you
The bond between carbs can be broken with heat and the addition of water or enzymes. We do not have enzymes (like inulinase, chitinase or cellulase) to degrade complex carbs (polysaccharides) like inulin or chitin or fiber
>complex carbohydrates / starches ARE broken down into simple sugars
starch yes, fibers not really. We dont have the enzymes for fiber
>fibers are also complex carbs, and some can and some can't be broken down by the body. fiber also helps regulate sugar usage reducing spiking
Some might be broken down by the body but thats done by gut bacteria i believe or just hydrolysis of the o-acetyl bonds between monomers. Either way fiber is poorly absorbed by our bodies. Look up humans and cellulase if you do not believe me

not disagreeing with you, just think we are at cross-purposes on a couple of things

>compound sugars. sugars. i am not talking about chitin, or fiber i am talking about maltose, lactose etc.

>soluble fiber is to a degree broken down, it binds with carbohydrate and sugar and slows their absorption.

Brit fag doing atkins month 2 lost 2 stone... About 28 pounds. Happy healthy, gives more control over food as very little is processed and all is fresh plus not starving to death and finally drinking plenty of water, all in all successful :)

No one will respond to your well-written, well thought out post.

And that’s a fucking shame.

Source: medfag with a masters in human physiology

If you're following it properly you should fall into ketosis right at the end of the week before your "free" day

>>compound sugars. sugars. i am not talking about chitin, or fiber i am talking about maltose, lactose etc.
oh you mean like disaccharides? We can metabolize maltose, but others like sucrose or lactose are more poorly metabolized. Some people obviously cant handle lactose while others can. I can eat milk, cheese, ice cream, etc without much problems. Ill fart alot but thats because my gut bacteria is producing gases after metabolizing the lactose.

jci.org/articles/view/105552/pdf

interestingly there are theories that over time we produce less lactase as we age as an evolutionary prevention of adults taking baby food (milk).

>soluble fiber is to a degree broken down, it binds with carbohydrate and sugar and slows their absorption.
soluble fiber just means soluble in water and acts like a thinking agent instead of running through you as diarrhea (like for lactose intolerant people)

>thinking
*thickening