Do you read b?

do you read b?

No. Not even in games.

Yes. More than ever, the more cancerous other media become.

got any good recommendations?

What do you like dipshit?

No I don't read if I don't finish the same day. I consider readers dropouts with ged

The wasp factory

All day!

I would too once I become a billionaire. Kinda nice not to work

Yes. Currently reading Norm MacDonald’s “A Memior: Based on a True Story” and Dhalgren by Samuel Delany

Literacy is made up. Being proud of it is like being proud of smoking weed

>The Wasp factory
Literally just finished this. Big fan of The Culture series, so wanted to read the book that put Banks on the map.

I really, really, really like this image!

Show some class. Read something intelligent.

Every time I come here.

Edgy.

If I had my old hard drive id list some cool collection of words. I liked one I found on fourchan long time ago. It's a complete mibdfuck.

Is there more to wasp factory?

The Wasp Factory is decent tbf.

Harry pooper

>more to wasp factory?
What do you mean? It’s a stand alone novel, no sequel.

Just know few people who can't into simple basics but sure as fuck think they know alot. Simple observation.

Nvm

This, but you probably won’t be able to finish it.

I like novels and if I start one there is no way back.

How fast do you read?

Try lit

yep. i read. its amazing how many people dont. it started in 2nd grade when i realized how awesome books are. how can words on a page make you cry is what i wondered. currently reading hatchet, and i had no idea it went past the river. i've missed some great books which i plan to grab.

Most books are make believe that's why I don't really like them

Yes, a lot.
>pic related my living room
I've been buying and reading boos since I was 13. Everyone else was buying video games and stuff, I was in the local book store every day after school instead.
I have about 870 books so far, but not nearly enough space. Upgrading to a bigger place soon, then all of my collection is going up on shelves.

>Most books are make believe
That is what makes them good. Fantasy for example. Nothing better than a good fantasy book.

That's the very thing that makes reading great. A magic escape from reality.
Not ashamed to say that Harry Potter is what got me into reading. I was 7-8 when my mom got me the first book for Christmas. Dear good, I spent all night reading.

The first book was very good

I think they are good all together actually. But yes the 1st, 2nd and 3rd was the best in my opinion.
Especially for a little boy.

i could never get into harry potter. the sentence structure was just so odd. must be a uk thing. it just didnt flow in my mind.

Yeah, in my free time I really enjoy reading.
Currently reading H.P.Lovecraft's Necronomicon (Commemorative edition). I really enjoy it. If you like horror/mystery/fantasy this is a must read.

Oh I read it in Swedish. Think I read the 4th book in English but that's about it.

How do people afford books?
A new hardback is like 25-30 Euro at least...

It was before the first movie was out. I thought I was the only one reading it at the time

My first book was about Mars, then I read about Spartans. I loved 3 week winter breaks.

If you enjoyed Harry Potter then I'd recommend The Name Of The Wind. It's really well written and it'll suck you in.

Case of beer is 18 bucks, sac of weed is 20. Maybe it's good to make 500 bucks a day and still be kinda broke

>How do people afford books?
My collection (pic a few posts above) is mostly from second hand stores, sales and internet finds.
Rarely pay more than 5-10 Euro per book.

The wasp factory is a year 10 (14-15) set text kek. Do you read books for adults?

Love those books, read them several times. Just hoping the 3rd one comes out soon..

Same here. It was originally written by a retard. I trashed it. Another friend confirmed it got better in later books. She could probably afford a proofreader afterwards.

I'm reading Mind Gym, for fic, I loved The Great Forgetting, spooky stuff.

Gone with the wind

I read journals and I haven't in a while. If that counts as reading

i read but i fucking hate it

I've stopped buying books, rarely will find something I need at a rummage sale. I go to libraries, have a kindle.

Every book is like that

The books make your livingroom cozy.

I need a physical book in my hands and I'm a slow reader so the 7-24 days you can borrow books at my library isn't enough.. And I have over an hour to it.
Don't care much for digital books. I want a physical collection like user above.

yes, ever since i was a kid

And dusty

troll or not a library? get a cheap tablet and download some epubs or mobis. right after i posted about the hatchet series i looked, found and already have them on my kindle.

Best part is that they dampen sounds so my living room is very quiet.

>And dusty
Nah not really, I dust everything once a week.

Look here

I have 300 bux hold at 3 libraries in different countries and kinda banned from getting new lib cards

Its tru

Fucking Baron is a pretty good writer

Originally I was a bookseller, so here's my advice: If you don't sell your books you should dust them every now and then.

Yes, that's true.

smelling the book and holding it is important. but being able to hold a 500 page novel without getting carpel tunnel is a bonus with a tablet.

I had a lot of books and encyclopedias, never touched them. Also had manuals and spent time learning diagrams.

I'm a history professor.

I can't imagine the total number of books I've read in my life. Many thousands easy. Plus oodles more papers and articles and . . . and . . ..

I took ap English and was in honors class

You should. It's like the core of the class

I failed that class but got lucky and got a C

Gilgamesh what an annoying sack of letters. Crunched it 5 hours before the test and got my fancy C with the bullshit I wrote

Reading pic related right now. It's 1000+ pages but really worth it with a lot of romance, sex, irony, despair, jewishness. I wish I had read it earlier because it's the kind of book that make you grow up quicker. And it makes you more successful with girls too, I can feel it already.

Growing up. Is that irony?

I literally live next door to a huge library. So yes I read, a lot.
Probably 2-3 books per week or 1-2 thick (1k+ pages) per month.

Helps me relax and forget my problems.

Here's Marilyn Monroe - who was so much more than the platinum blonde bombshell - reading James Joyce "Ulysses"; actually it's her personal copy of the book. Those who've read it know how difficult it is to understand it, some even say it's the most overrated famous book that was ever written.

MM told the photographer who took this picture that she loved the sound of Joyce's writing, but that it's hard to read. There are more pics that show her reading "Ulysses", IMO this is the most sexy one.

The Soock Doctrine; Capitalist Realism; Infinite Jest; Understanding Media; Simulacra and Simulation; Amusing Ourselves to Death; 1984; Blood Meridian; Crime and Punishment; The Information Bomb; Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
UBIK; Winter Is Coming: Why Vladimir Putin and the Enemies of the Free World Must Be Stopped; Nothing is True and Anything is Possibe; Ulyssess; Speed and Politics; Paradise Lost; The Divine Comedy; Violence - Zizek; Maufacturing Consent; The Tao of Pysics; Ogilvy On Advertising; The Responsive Chord; Propoganda: The Formation of Men's Attitudes; Irrationality (Sutherland); The Book of Disquiet; Unbearable Lightness of Being; Globalization and Its Discontents; Underworld; Cosmopolis; Slaughter-House 5; Physics and Philosophy - Heisenberg; War and Peace in the Global Village; Society of the Specticle; Ghosts of My Life; White Noise; The Castle; Passwords - Baudrillard; Open Sky - Virillio; Technopoly; The Wisdom of Insecurity; To The Lighthouse; Laws of Media; Libra; The Handmaid's Tale; Bad Science; Orientalism; Things Fall Apart; Yeats: Collected Poems; Liber Null and Psychonaught

Crack on

Oops, forgot the pic, sorry!

What problems rofl

Finnegans Wake is harder. A LOT harder

>What problems rofl
My huge debts, bad joints that will need surgery within 2-3 years and the fact that I'm slowly going deaf...

The Old Man and The Sea
Freedom - Franzen

I think you're just constipated from the bs

Mostly fan fiction shit. Not slash fiction or any bullshit with plot holes, and pointless drivel involving canon-breaking mary sues. I'm not a filthy degenerate in that regard.

You don't even have kids yet.

You may be right. As I said: some even say...

Another user posted a pic of himself holding a copy of Arno Schmidt "Bottom's Dream" (original German title "Zettels Traum"), that's a challenge as well.

Catch 22
A book oft underrated in its analysis of capitalism, absurdity and pre-empting maximalism

What?
>You don't even have kids yet.
Yes I do, daughter aged 10 and son that just turned 8. And I'm divorced with weekly visits...

Agreed. Heller is a genius.

I use this book from time to time in classes discussing the absurdity of the cold war.

I'd done some tough reads in and thought I was up to the challenge of the Wake. Decided - if Ima do this I'll do it proper. Keep notes. Look up every reference I don't undrstand. Full study mode. After two hours of being in the zone, I'd written 6 pages of notes and I was 6 pages in to the book. Thought fuck this.

Bought Joseph Campbells "Skeleton Key" but still haven't gotten round to it.

Ulyssess is hard but doable. The Wake is a commitment.

What's interesting about Joyce is the fluidity of his language and how infectious it is. When I was reading Ulyssess I realised I started writing like him in texts and emails. It's infectious. Dave Wallace did the same to me when I was reading Infinite Jest .

It's a book out of time, also. If you read it now it you can place it in a lineage with Pynchon and Dave Wallace - but he's before all those guys. A proper anomoly that book. Funny as fuck too

Kill All Normies - Online culture wars from Sup Forums and Tumblr to Trump and the alt-right

Philosophy and Simulation by Manuel DeLanda

Start with something easy like Derrida if it's something you want to get into OP

>What's interesting about Joyce is the fluidity of his language and how infectious it is. When I was reading Ulyssess I realised I started writing like him in texts and emails. It's infectious.

I guess that's what Marilyn meant.

There's an excellent book about Joyce written by Anthony Burgess, "Here Comes Everybody: An Introduction to James Joyce for the Ordinary Reader", plus an abridged editon of Finnegan. I've never read teh latter, but I can recommend "Here comes..."

Chan don't read motherfucker. You seen the bullshit that passes for opinions on here. They're all mongoloid bridge dwellers

>everyone reading strange, complicated books about who knows what
>all I want is a fast paced, action filled sci-fi or fantasy/horror book

I'll look that up - interesting title.

McLuhan was a bit fan of Joyce and said what he was doing in his writting was laying down a basis for Media Ecology and how technology is the driving force in civilization.

With a passing interest in Joyce and obviously a tech junkie being user, I'd say look up McLuhan and see how the internet has shaped society in the last ten years or so. Dude was a prophet in the 60s

i used to but the internet destroyed my attention span and now i only listen to audiobooks

UBIK
Random Acts of Senseless Violence
The Stars My Destination
Mockingbird
Fahrenheit 451
Neuromancer
A Brave New World
The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet
The Handmaids Tale

:-) As Peter Gabriel sang on "Lamb Lies Down on Broadway":

Lenny Bruce declares a truce and plays his other hand.
Marshall McLuhan, casual viewin', head buried in the sand.

Go read a book and your attention span will imprve.

Looking up song now. Never heard of it.

It's a concept album by Genesis from 1974. The lyrics I quoted are from "Fly on a Windshield / Broadway Melody"

How old are you user. I thought Genesis was specifically oldman music

I'm 50, but young at heart.

Do you mind if I masturbate to that picture ?

Haha. Good for you brah.

Looks like a lot of fantasy novels