Why is indie folk so much better than actual folk?

Why is indie folk so much better than actual folk?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_Uu5Hk74-Io
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because you have Klinefelter's syndrome

someone define indie folk pls. literally any soft spoken and introspective white guy with an acoustic guitar gets called this.

Because the only resemblance it bears to folk is the equipment. It's the equivalent of calling a Penderecki record "easy listening" because it uses a string orchestra, but for some reason people still do it.

Because Americans don't have any actual folk music worth a damn, Scandinavian folk music is superior

Because actual folk is pretentious and retarded and focuses on le deep meanings, while indie folk puts way more focus on the music

Musically, we’re looking at that glorious amalgamation of tradition folk elements (acoustic instruments and vocal styles) with the burgeoning indie-rock scene—or, occasionally, electronic elements applied to folk music. These albums are filled with folky songs that would be at home on college radio next to post-rock and dance tracks. There’s overlap with alt-country, coffeehouse singer/songwriters, orchestral pop and indie rock

T. has only listened to American folk music

ITT: whiny boring bullshit

>folk
>pretentious

well this is a first lmao.

>someone define indie folk pls
it can't be done. it's a retarded meaningless term.

>singing about his recently deceased wife
>whiney

The peak of American folk music is stuff like Bob Dylan, try listen to some actual folk music from Europe, Asia or the Middle East

Both are good, indie folk is just easier to listen to if you have adhd like everyone on the internet

here, I'll start: your post

What? There's literally an entire genre of music making fun of the pretentiousness of folk music (Anti-Folk)

it's not

explain pls

I dont understand how listening to dusty awful recordings of people singing songs about boring shit is better than indie folk.

>folk music
>pretentious
you're actually retarded, anti-folk is a reaction to the earnestness of folk music (storytelling, political sensibilities, etc.), folk is literally the opposite of pretentious

Stop digital blackfacing!

because you're probably white, middle-class and think your sentimental bullshit is more "authentic" than literally salt-of-the-earth, untrained musicians who are more concerned with passing on traditional folk narratives and histories than pathetic nu-male existentialism. At least they have the excuse of being unable to afford lessons, indie folk artists are just too fucking fickle to learn their instruments properly

Wrong

well, it's just a matter of opinion. indie folk to me tends to sound kinda whiny. english, american, or irish folk sounds much more interesting. john fahey or john renbourn are able to elicit more of a response from me than contemporary indie folk artists

Prove it or get out.

>muh shitty non-rhyming 'poetic' lyrics
>muh non-existent vocal melodies
>DUDE DEATH IS REAL LMAO
So deep

Why is psych folk so much better than regular folk?

youtube.com/watch?v=_Uu5Hk74-Io

Kill yourself, scum bag

>The peak of American folk music is stuff like Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan is just Woodie Guthrie for lazy beatniks

>i don't like the lyrics so it's bad
>it doesn't sound like the music i like so it's bad
stop, you're waisting good digits.

I'd say "indie" means more of a focus on interesting/alternative textures and song structures with regular folk music instrumentation with less emphasis on lyrical storytelling

Rec me some good indie folk albums please.

Listen to Logic Songs by Little Kid. Most underrated album of all time

Because it's inauthentic trash made for watered-down bitches like you

We're having a Napoleon thread OP, come join.

indie means independent you fucking faggots

Not anymore you fucking faggot

fucking faggot