I honestly don't think I would be able to enjoy music if I didn't have perfect pitch...

I honestly don't think I would be able to enjoy music if I didn't have perfect pitch. Knowing that my auditory processing abilities are objectively inferior would tear me up inside every time I heard a note and wasn't able to identify it!

I always heard perfect pitch people tend to hate a lot of music because they can tell things are out of tune

The worst thing is when a song plays on the radio and you know for a fact it doesn't sound right but nobody else hears the difference

I didn't want to be born like this stop

Perfect pitch people are cunty anyway.

Pretty sure there's a nigger joke in here somewhere

You dont need perfect pitch to enjoy music, relative pitch is fine enough

Everyone knows that great relative pitch>perfect pitch

How do I tell if I have perfect pitch?

>Sit down for a few hours listening to notes, making note of what they are, and memorizing the names in direct connection to the note
>See if you can name the notes when given randomly

No one listens to music and identifies the notes that's like eating a burger only to understand its chemical composition.

I just took a test and I got the notes right, but it asked what hz something was at. How am I supposed to instinctly know what level a hz is at?

I think I have perfect pitch but I can't read sheet music. I want to learn piano so I can test it out.

Many artists don't have great eyesight desu

Chances are you weren't you never decided as a baby you would learn how to have perfect pitch now you never will.

I know this is pasta, but how do people with perfect pitch hear microtones? Is it literally intolerable for them?

I have perfect pitch and for me it isn't true because sometimes it sounds good. If it's intentional, then usually it sounds good. Besides, you dont need perfect pitch to tell when something is out of tune

>Beethoven was deaf

How the fuck do I know if I have perfect pitch? Is there a test you can take? What the hell I didn't even know about this shit. Is it rare to have perfect pitch or do most people just have "ok" pitch?

You can find a lot of test online even on youtube. And I'd say its pretty rare yes

It's actually a gene that some people are born with. However, it can only developed when you are very young. Perfect pitch is note recognition without a reference tone. There is also relative pitch (which anyone can develop) which when developed enough, you can identify notes as easily as perfect pitch if given a reference note or key

learning intervals in hz is the way to go, starting with A = 440hz, 220, 110 etc.

>objectively inferior
From what perfect pitch fags have said on this board, is sounds like you guys have the handicap. You're the ones who couldn't appreciate a song if it was tuned half a step flat, even if there wasn't anything objectively out of tune about it.

This. I have INCREDIBLY good relative pitch (via lots of sight-reading practice as a teen), ended up studying music in college with a number of classmates with perfect pitch, and I routinely got much higher scores than any of them in things like aural skills tests (even got passed for a semester because of transcribing a 4-part excerpt note-perfect on a single try.) Not gonna say I haven't wondered what it would be like to have it, but based on my experience with others with it it really seems to be a mixed bag. Especially singers. I'd say at least 50% of the singers I know with perfect pitch seem to be timbre deaf...

>tuned half a step flat

Why would that even exist?

autism: the thread

As in, if a song is recorded in the key of F, and you tuned the audio down to the key of E.

Different user. Many modern versions of instruments (especially orchestral ones like strings) are tuned 1 or more semitones higher than they were originally supposed to sound (due to the Pitch Wars of the 18th/19th centuries - look it up. It's pretty interesting.) Many older stringed instruments are incapable of maintaining modern tunings without breaking. And even many thoroughly modern instruments (like all forms of guitars) sound/play better when tuned down a half-step.

Yes. What most people forget is that you have to develop perfect pitch as well, much like relative pitch. Just being able to recall single notes isn't applicable or transferable in an actual musical setting, you have to work hard at it for it to be useful. Not everything comes naturally

As someone with perfect pitch, there's literally no issue with that. As long as it's played right and in tune, the key of the song doesn't really matter. For example, Metallica on album vs live. They play most of their stuff in standard on most albums, but they've played 1/2 step down live since the mid-90's, and there's no issue with that. (The problem with them is the quality of the actual performance.)

Fun Fact: Most of Unknown Pleasures and Closer were pitched too fast and it ended up sounding better than pitch perfect. Then, Later on Movement 1981, New Order set the pitch faster on tracks like Chosen Time and Denial.

>pitched too fast

Who talks like that? I get that's it's all frequencies and thus speed is relevant but nobody uses those words in that way.

i knew a person like this, a total fedora and a complete lifeless bore with about 4000 albums in his collection. he got drunk once and confessed he only played them when he had friends over, and that he didn't really like music.

"I wish I could think this sunset is pretty, but I don't know what to call its color."

what do they think when they hear some indian music or microtonal shit?

>falling for the b8

Honestly I think it's a continuum and kind of false, like photographic memory. It's not like people with perfect pitch have a magical ability to recognize notes, they are just far better at remembering them once they've learned. Like I can identify a C# because it's the beginning of Hungarian Rhapsody, but unless someone plays other keys first I can't recognize other notes. Someone with perfect pitch would have a way better memory for this kind of thing and would memorize it for all the notes even a couple of times after learning them. I think there's a wide spread between people like that and people who are tone-deaf, it's not like you either have perfect pitch or you can never recognize notes properly.

That bottom panel is tone deafness. It exists but that's not how most people experience music.

their heads just explode I presume

The best songs are the off kilter ones, though

it sucks when people play parts and you tell them it's wrong and they're like "but these are the tabs, bro."

yeah but you probably should know “on kilter" too, so you can fuck with the process

Notes are a social construct

Underrated post