Is it possible to learn and do every aspect of music creation and production yourself? Songwriting, production...

Is it possible to learn and do every aspect of music creation and production yourself? Songwriting, production, engineering and mixing, etc. What's a good way of learning these things? I feel confident in the songwriting and production aspect but could do a lot better at sound engineering and mastering

Other urls found in this thread:

grimesmusic.com/credits/
youtube.com/watch?v=eQqGKPVOQv8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's possible but very hard, see Eminem - square dance

Yes, but chances are you'll end up as a jack of all trades, master of none, etc.

It'll take too long. If I were you I'd produce stuff, get it professionally mixed and mastered

Good point, thanks for advice

What's the real difference between producing and song writing anyway?

Is it POSSIBLE? Yes. Is it a good idea? THAT depends on you. It CAN be done successfully (e.g. see grimesmusic.com/credits/ ) but you're results are only gonna be as good as your interest level is in doing the minute, boring details of all the different steps of the process.
Also, as a general rule it is always better if you can get someone else to at least sit in with you during the mixing/mastering stage of the record making process. Mixing and mastering are both editorial in nature (good mixing/mastering leaves the creative content of a record intact while best presenting what's already there to the listener) Which is to say that neither are part of the actual artistic process of making a record itself, and consequently are often done more effectively by someone who ISN'T already intimately familiar with the content of a track (since that makes it easier to be objective about it.)

if your music is legitimately good and interesting people don't care how good your mixing etc really is

see John Maus and early Anco

> engineering and mixing
leave this to the profressionals

but u can master the rest.
kevin parker recorded currents by himself

>see grimesmusic.com/credits/
Almost had me there. I see you've updated your pasta.

It's very possible, most independent Japanese electronica artists do it.

No wonder her production is shit

Not everyone can afford Max Martin or the connections to even get near him.

>I see you've updated your
>your
Sorry, user - not mine. I'm not a fan of posting superfluously detailed memes in answer to other people's legitimate questions.

>you're results are only gonna be as good as your interest level is in doing the minute, boring details of all the different steps of the process.
Which is to say that unless you have pretty much unlimited time on your hands for trial and error and can live with the results being not very good (since there's no way to know in advance how long - or if at all - you'll be able to reach a level of proficiency in doing all this) doing it all yourself probably ISN'T a good idea. Remember, you can always just fire your best friend if his/her production skills suck. And you'll never get the time back you've spent discovering all the things you can't do very well.
With that said, if you've got the time/interest and don't need to worry about being able to eat, I'd say go for it. You'll never know if you can do it or not unless you try.

since i can't see /prod/ anywhere, can anyone give me some information on how to recreate this bell sound/ what synth it comes from?

youtube.com/watch?v=eQqGKPVOQv8

starts around

Sounds very Jupiter-8-y to me, so that's a start

Song writing is about the structure, harmonies, melodies, progressions while the production is more about how the sound of the song is shaped - effects, mixing, layering

Nice description, thanks!

I don't know why people are insisting that you can't or shouldn't do it all yourself. Plenty of people do exactly that. And given your likelihood of having the money to record in a studio, you're better off learning to be as autonomous as possible. People who are good at writing and performing but can't use a DAW probably aren't going to do very well.

it's not hard but you should defer to a professional mixer and mastering engineer until you have many years of experience mixing or mastering

I'm a semi-beginner when it comes to producing stuff myself. It's a fucking ton of information, and a lot of it is learned through experience and is based on your tastes.

Even tackling something as basic as EQing is a big learning process and the way you apply your knowledge is different in every situation and based a lot on personal preference. These kinds of things only come with experience.

Mastering is something I would leave to a professional though.

there are some korg wavestation presets that have a bell like that. It's probaly some sample based synth.