Dad died

>Dad died
>Go to my patio to cool down and clear my head
>Neighbor from four backyards down waves at me. I can see him through our city-ordinated 4 inch tall fences (not really that short, but I swear I can jump over them).
>Ignore him, hopefully he looks away
>He stands up and waves. I ignore him. Bury my head in my hands, pretty apparent I'm not in the mood.
>He shouts at me, clearly mad that I didn't acknowledge him. I flip him off. Childish, right? I wasn't sure what else to do at that point. I stormed back inside immediately after and drove to a nearby park. Just need some peace and quiet.
>Return home. Officer says I threatened someone. Spend a couple hours dealing with that situation. Officer tells my neighbor not to shout across the street to someone who doesn't want to talk to him.
>Neighbor isn't satisfied. He sees me close my window late at night. Decides to call the cops and report drug smoking behavior, claiming I closed the window when I spotted him. Crazy, yeah?
>Officer knocks. I let him inside to look around. Stupid, but I'm not in the mood for this shit. Let's just get it out of the way. He's sympathetic with me since I'm in grieving. I offer him a cold Coca Cola, he accepts. Nice guy. Doesn't care that I had a dudeweed possession charge years ago. Tells me he'll tell my neighbor to knock it off.

I've heard so many stories of people getting into shit with neighbors. I don't know my neighbors, to me this neighbor is just some random guy who hates me.

This is the suburban life, y-yeah?

What can I legally do?

Would all of this been prevented if I could have a privacy fence? Most backyards around here look bare and I always figured it was due to a lack of privacy. It makes sense now.

The officers I've met were bros though.

Sorry about your dad user.

When you say 4 inch fence do you mean 4 foot fence? if not, this is a ghood pasta

I don't know the specifics of law, but that sounds like harassment to me. So, if you can be assed to talk to a lawyer maybe you can get the guy fined or something. Probably best to just ignore the guy though.

>A neighbor from four backyards down furiously waving at you
>Officers who actually take them seriously
>Not allowed to build a privacy fence

A-at least we still have our freedums, right?

Also sorry for your loss. I can't imagine dealing with all that shit while grieving. The fact you flipped someone off and only flipped someone off says a lot about your patience, most people would've responded much worse.

Yeah same here, deepest sympathy and best wishes

T. Lost my Dad a few years ago and miss him everyday

Reread the post

>flip off neighbor
>he calls the police
What the fuck

My neighbours five kids throw stones at windows, climb all over the cars in the street, swear and scream at anyone who walks by. Any cats or dogs get pelted with stones, my gf has had a lump of metal thrown at her which nearly hit her head. Their mother gives zero fucks, as long as she can get drunk.

Police can't do a thing because they are under 10. If I retaliate, I'll be arrested. The kids KNOW this, they are untouchable.

FUN!

This. Sorry about your dad. :_;

I'm going to film the guy if he does it again, at least to have some kind of solid evidence. I wish ignoring was enough, guy just called the cops on me. Although flipping him off likely triggered him to do that, this is very aggravating. Now he watches my fucking house? What if he tries to hurt me? I can defend myself but now I have to worry about that shit.

Sorry about your pops man.

Yeah that's just suburban life. People are nosy and like to get all uppity about stupid shit. You should've just waved and then let it go.

If you build a fence you better believe the dude is going to harass you with noise complaints, or he'll paint his house some obnoxious color, or the like. There's a ton of legal cases about shit like this: spite fences and shit.

Bury their corpses in the woods.

My bros :'( Thank you

Hyperbole. Chain link fence, super short, and I really can look at multiple backyards at once. Imagine a big field separated by thin fences. I've always been an advocate for privacy fences, so I have a huge grudge against these kinds of fences I have. This situation just makes me go full sperg mode about fences.

Sorry to hear about your father. If you can, keep the names of the officers that got involved. If your neighbor makes another accusation without substance, you can file a harassment charge against him, and contact the previous officers too. Pretty sure your neighbor can get in trouble for wasting officers' time like that.

Sorry for your father OP.
Remember dont be sad that you lost him. Be happy that you had him.

>live in australian suburb
>neighbours only know each others names because the postman sometimes brings the wrong letters

Feels good man
Gods speed for your dad

>all of this could have been prevented if you just waved hello.

Act like a redditor. Film the guy, post it online and tell people about this crazy shit going on. Get some kind of attention. It's not hard to get people on your side in these situations, and you will have the upper hand.

And I don't fucking blame you. As a kid, suburbs on TV and movies and books always had wooden fences. I move to a suburb when I'm 10 and realize that it's really just the older homes closer to the city that still have the dignity of a wooden fence, and even then they're now being shortened and shortened each decade.

A fence like this is just a myth in many parts of the country.

NONE of this would've happened if your neighbor couldn't see you sitting in your patio in the first place. What's the point of a patio if you don't even have that level of privacy?

>being a shitty neighbor
Suburban life isn't for you

this tbqh

Probably, unless he wanted to have a conversation, but I was feeling absolutely miserable and in no mood to even fake a simple hello. I wasn't thinking about my neighbor, which is why a middle finger was just instinct at that time.

The guy's grieving and a neighbor stands up and yells at a guy for not waving back from his patio 4 backyards down.

Seriously hope you guys are joking.

>live in a group of houses out in the sticks
>nothing for miles on either side
>5 houses on one side of the road
>5 houses on the other
>everyone is on a first name, walk on in basis
>everyone takes care of each other
>feelsgoodman.jpg

>watching World Football Cup back in 2010 with a bunch of neighbors in a local bar (it's more of a town
>nice atmosphere everyone is drinking and whatnot
>my next door neighbor mentions something about me and my dad moving the fence posts into his plot
>Get super butthurt by his comment and throw my beer bottle at him
>other neighbors start cracking jokes and making fun of us
>the dude I threw a bottle at goes home
>returns 10 minutes later and stabs me with his hunting knife

tell you the truth I didn't dare report him to the cops

>Being outside when you have a shitty mood.
Why didn't you just stay inside. That's what most people do when they don't want to interact with people, under emotional duress.

This is consistent with all the Californians moving to Texas, freaking out and SWATting neighbors who open carried on their own property.

I've lived in a suburb almost all my life, there's something shitty about a neighbor who harasses people who are visibly upset..

go find another group of kids and pit them against the other group

>live in Brazil
>house guarded by 2.5m tall walls to avoid favelados
>also eletric fence on top just to be sure
>neighbors don't give a shit
>still a silent pact of brohood between us
>no degeneracy, any criminals caught get beaten until the police comes
>cons is getting stabbed by a 11 year old for pocketmoney

feels good desu

Sometimes it's better to be out with fresh air and birds singing. Being cooped up inside while depressed can be terrible. I love to go to the park when I'm feeling down.

OP isn't at fault here, there's no two ways about it. The guy's burying his head in his hands, sitting on his patio, clearly not wanting to talk to someone four backyards down. I've never heard of an expectation of communicating with a neighbor that far away from your patio, or it being rude to want to be left alone on your own property.

sauce pls

sorry to ear that
I too lost somone I cared for in the last days

Sorry about your loss.

Are real fences illegal in the suburbs or something?

>What can I legally do?

Stop being so autistic and wave back to spare yourself the rest of the bullshit. No one gives a fuck about your situation.

This. I'd like to rage a bit.

I remember my first time going to Alabama as a kid, visiting relatives. Me and my friends were at a gas station and we saw a burly dude with a long beard open carrying while buying some food. Guy was pretty cool about it and was talking about how more people with guns would make the world a safer place. I also remember him paying for our soda.

I wasn't scared at all. I saw a guy buying bread or whatever it was he was buying, and he just so happened to carry a gun. Nothing about it seemed unusual. It was liberal upbringing that tried to make me see it that way, and fortunately I never did. If anything you feel safer knowing a good man around you has a gun.

How does one stop being autistic?

>Autistic
>Guy four backyards down yelling at a visibly upset guy for not waving back

Explain to me what's autistic about not waving back, especially when you know this man is the kind of guy who will closely watch a house and make false reports to the police. You stupid fuck.

>Are real fences illegal in the suburbs or something?

City ordinances. Apparently some people seriously care if a neighbor has a tall wooden fence. You really don't have the right to build a fence on your own property because of them, and city ordinances are considered trivial to most people which is why they can get away with most things without complaint.

Best bet is to apologize to him and try to smooth things over.

can you build stone walls around your house like a friggin castle?

all of my neighborhood has fences like this. better for skinny dipping

BUILD WALL

I'd say the best bet is to euthanize that sack of human garbage, but hey, that's just me.

Sue their parents for damages.

The only way to deal with miserable middle aged married men in a suburb who are trying to make your life hell is to beat the shit outta of them while wearing a mask a week after they call the cops.

These guys are extremely miserable with their life and look for any perceived disrespect as an excuse to lord themselves over you and get there little ego trip.

I have had three neighbors like this and all of them moved away.

Wait, you're barred from building proper fences in America by your neighbors?

HAHAHAHAHA

you better be trolling; if not, then you're a retarded faggot.

Sorry for your loss, OP.

One of the main reasons i bought the house i'm currently living in was because the backyard was larger than most in the area and completely surrounded by fences taller than I am. There's neighborhoods here with the same shit OP has to deal with and all of them are full of foreigners or white trash families. Thus, you have this huge uninterrupted view of unkempt lawns covered in shit like old furniture and car parts.

>Explain to me what's autistic about not waving back

have you ever left home nigger? there's a billion ways he could avoid that mess AND fix it, he could explain to the guy whats going on, he could stay inside, he could go there and explain to the retard neighbor his behavior and ask him not to call the police, fuck, he could even wave back and avoid all of it

instead he goes full autism, ignored the guy like a child as if the entire world should respect his self absorbed ass, as if getting mad at someone else would make him feel better

his neighbor is a retard for calling the cops and being a sour fuck, but it doesn't mean the mess couldn't be avoided by acting like an adult and talking to other people

and now this fuck comes here looking for revenge, instead of going there and talk to his neighbor, if you can't see what's wrong it's probably because you let your parents do the talking for you.

Yes. You can't even paint your house the color you want. While this prevents people from painting crazy colors, it also prevents me from painting my house a light shade of green or whatever if I wanted. So unoffensive colors are also banned.

City ordinances are fucked. People don't care about local politics, so city ordinances will pass with flying colors and complaints go unheard. You won't have more than a dozen people backing you up if you were to come to them with complaints. Its a terrible situation.

>miserable middle aged married men in a suburb who are trying to make your life hell is to beat the shit outta of them while wearing a mask a week after they call the cops.

My solution:

>Film them
>Publicly humiliate them online
>Continue to film their tantrums
>Show it to local news
>Allow people to confront the neighbor, "Hey I saw you on the news you stupid piece of shit i have kids etc etc"

Neighbor will either sink into a depression and stay indoors or will continue to go crazy until police step in.

That is, if police doesn't step in already after initial harassment.

I seriously don't understand why they don't allow privacy fences. I can't imagine it's good for property value, after all you're buying a house to spend your life in knowing that your backyard will always be in plain view.

That means that if you want to swim in your backyard, you need to deal with everyone looking at you. That's one nuisance to deal with.

It sounds like your neighbor is a cunt and you are a cunt as well. I would wave to both of you, but only nod if you said something and then close the garage door.

Is the the type of pathetic banter that a once great shitposting nation come to?

user. It seems you've got a stalker.

From five fences away.. He sees you when your sleeping. He knows when your awake. You better wave.. and i don't remember the words.

>Get some money.
>Find a group of other kids.
>Offer to pay them in the beat the shit out of the little shits throwing rocks at your house.

Find some Muslim kids to do it, the cops won't even try to stop them.

We have those as standard fencing.

wow man that shit with the color paint is scary
no doubt why people snapped trying to be different

This is why I'm getting a place with a lot of land around it so I don't have neighbors

Where the fuck is this so I can never move to that shit hole.

What kind of solutions are these?

>explain to his neighbor about his personal problems

This means walking around the block to a backyard four houses away to talk to his neighbor about why he wants to be left alone. The neighbor could, as the adult he truly is, leave the guy alone in the first place when he doesn't see OP respond.

>he could stay inside

During a depression, instead of going outside where there is fresh air?

>ask him not to call the police

OP should ask his neighbor not to make frivolous charges out of petty vengeance for someone not waving back?

>full autism

Not the neighbor who literally yells at a man across the way for not waving back, but OP for getting upset that he didn't have privacy in his own patio from a man four houses away?

>by acting like an adult and talking to other people

Wanting privacy is not childish and you are under no social obligation to explain your grieving to every nosy neighbor across the way.

And I repeat "four backyards down" and "four houses away" because unless you visualize this, you can't possibly see how incredibly backwards it is to expect OP to walk over there and explain himself.

The child, the one throwing a tantrum, the one who can't let things go is the one making frivolous police reports and harassing a neighbor for not waving back.

Depression is a finnicky thing. I'm sure you guys are used to people dying over there, crime-ridden country after all, so I understand why you are so detached.

Stop being rude to people.

You guys are trolling, right? This man furiously waves to OP from HOUSES away and then stands up and yells at him, and you're calling OP rude? Meanwhile OP is just sitting there clearing his head and getting some fresh air.

Maybe I'm the only one responding to this because I'm falling for some hardcore bait.

get a big mean dog to take care of them when they throw rocks at it. or just buy a group of under 10 kids mcdonalds or some shit to fuck up the lady's house.

You're obviously a troll. When someone says hi to you you don't ignore them.

>The neighbor could, as the adult he truly is, leave the guy alone in the first place when he doesn't see OP respond.
/thread

Holy shit, it took this long for someone to finally say this?

Pic related is the fence between mine and my neighbor's house. Ignore the mess, I've been doing some planting.

Or OP could respond like an adult.

or OP could be an adult and not flip him off.

are you the op neighbor

I understand I came across as rude, initially, but to not give someone the benefit of the doubt and to go as far as to yell at them from across the way, thats rude. I wave to people and not everyone waves back, I dont throw a tantrum over it. I also dont wave to a random person four backyards away. Its their land, I would be absolutely childish to expect everyone to want to talk to me if I did what this man did.

can you plant a privacy hedge?

>opening the door for the police
>letting the police in your house
>talking to the police

kill yourself

>what can i do

Go all allahu akbar on him

This kind of situation actually causes a lot of arguments, yes; you should have waved and you came across rude, but under the circumstances acting rude was acceptable.

The problem is one of communication

Waving at someone from the sidewalk is a completely different situation than the one OP faced. If a man furiously waves at me from four backyards away while I'm grieving, I probably wouldn't give more than a nod. But I certainly wouldn't call someone childish for wanting to be left alone.

You have such a warped view of what is childish and rude. Four backyards away, furiously waving at someone, and then yelling at them and calling the police and reporting false threats? You are the troll if you justify this.

Beat the shit out of your neighbor in a mask/pay kids to egg his house.

That's what happens when people buy a house that's part of a Home Owners Association. They're usually a little cheaper and nicer, due to regulations on maintaining the properties in the Association to maintain the value of the house.

They are private communities and by buying the house, you agree to their terms.

But it's totally up to the buyer to decide to buy in one or not. They're pretty shit as far as regulations and fines, but they do maintain the properties around and fine people who disturb the neighborhood.

Genius.

What a sensible Brit. It is a communication problem and I think that lies with the neighbor. Too far away to have a meaningful conversation, and too far away to expect people to see you and wave back. I don't blame him for his response, four backyards away through multiple chain link fences? Unless this is a guy I haven't seen in forever who is absolutely delighted to see me, it's a bit desperate.

Waving hello isn't rude, but not waving hello to a guy four backyards away while you're grieving isn't rude either.

TL;DR: This is a situation where waving and not waving are both equally acceptable responses. You are on your private property, you're grieving, you can ignore your neighbors if you wish.

>can you plant a privacy hedge?
Actually in some areas you can't even do that, unless it's something very small and nonfunctional.

1). If you’re concerned they might try to force an entry, you may greet them outside after exiting through another door.

2). You may speak with officers through the opening protected by your chain lock.

3). If police come to your door and you don’t require their help, you may simply decline to answer the door at all. Unless they have a warrant, they will eventually leave.

fpbp

I thought "Canadians are overly-nice" was a meme, but seeing this guy call OP a child and calling him rude for not waving to someone from that far away, in the state that he is, from his patio, while he's visibly upset (I consider burying your head in your hands and being unresponsive to be a visible state of distress), I feel like we're talking to Mr. Rogers over here. I must be the worst person in the world here if I think OP is doing nothing wrong by keeping to himself.

Just wave at them and be done with it you fucking retard.

Build a small scale trebuchet and fling bombard his house from yours. When laying siege to a target this close, it's crucial to be the first to complete your siege equipment, that way you can bombard your neighbor and prevent him from erecting his own to return fire.

fucking hell, sounds like you yanks get fucked over by HOA
>have massive shrub that i wanna get rid of
>need council permit because it's pretty significant
>neighbour: "she'll be right"
>chop it down without permit, nobody bats an eye

also
>have a project car with no plates in my driveway, nobody cares
>have a loud v8, nobody cares because I don't drive it in the early morning, doesnt wake anybody up
feels like... freedom.

I'm more concerned with that fact that these people are acting like overly-sensitive teenage girls about some guy not waving back to them. This is how the exchange should have gone:

>Guy waves at neighbor
>Neighbor doesn't wave back
>Guy thinks, "Huh, that's weird. Oh well, whatever."
>Guy doesn't act like a bitch and completely forgets about the encounter within the next 5 minutes.

A fire is always a ready answer.

My condolences, user.

To solve this peacefully: Walk up to your neighbor's door and tell him this:

>>"I apologize for flipping you off earlier this week. I would like to clear things up between us; someone close to me passed away, and I am coping with the loss. It wasn't my intention to upset you. I just needed some alone time. Thanks for listening. Have a good day."

Guarantee your neighbor will stop being a hassle. If he asks questions, or wants to edge you, just answer them (or not) and walk away.

Tat's a little too late to say that now, is it? And, not waving is just as easy as waving. There's no real expectation to wave back to someone from that far away. I could just as easily tell this neighbor to just forget about it if someone doesn't wave back. Most people don't hold it against others for not waving back. It's not a big deal.

You are going beyond a simple greeting when you respond as this neighbor did. If I had to worry about false police reports every time I didn't wave to someone from four houses down, I'd have moved out long ago.

Guy's grieving, flips off his neighbor after he yells at him, yeah I'm not going to hold it against OP. That's the appropriate response, and if you can't see that despite the context of his neighbor being one to harass and file false police reports, you're a goddamned retard.

How many times do I have to fucking say it?

FOUR
BACKYARDS
AWAY

If OP isn't full of shit here, that's a HUGE distance to be waving at someone and getting upset if they don't wave back. Huge. There's absolutely no justification whatsoever for his response, and there's nothing more autistic than berating OP for not waving back at some narcicisstic attention-seeking degenerate.

Filing false police reports should've landed that guy in a cell.

Exactly. I always give the benefit of a doubt. Maybe he didn't see me, maybe he doesn't wave back and just acknowledges, maybe the guy just doesn't want to say hello. I don't hold it against anyone and I certainly wouldn't justify degenerate harrassing behavior.

>To solve this peacefully: Walk up to your neighbor's door and tell him this:

NO! Absolutely do NOT apologize to this man. Not after he:

1. Verbally harasses OP
2. Makes a false police report about him being threatened
3. Makes another false police report about OP doing drugs

The best solution is to not have anything to do with this neighbor, but be prepared if he continues his harassment.

I'll remember not to piss off a Saffer neighbour should I ever get one.

you live in a 3rd world shithole tbqh family

Pardon me but this doesn't belong here

I cant plant tall trees or tall hedges or have any fence that ensures privacy. I can see kids walking home on one side, four backyards on the other side, and another on the other side. Something like that. Pretty weak. I try to use my backyard. I cant have a shed there, but I have a patio and I grill sometimes.

Thanks for your condolences

Also why should i apologize to a man who lied about me doing drugs and threatening him? I have no idea why he isnt behind bars for that.

>1. Verbally harasses OP
>2. Makes a false police report about him being threatened
>3. Makes another false police report about OP doing drugs

If OP forgave his neighbor for these acts, then all thats left is to make peace.

OP will be the bigger man if he goes face to face with the neighbor and clears things up.

This neighbor, I'm assuming, has no idea what's going on, so he will assume the worst.

see pay some other kids to fuck their shit up. Try not to reveal your identity, put a fake beard or something

>what can I legally do?
move. this is why people move. life is too short to have to put up with bullshit from faggots. once you are out of there you can fuck with him if it makes you feel better, salt his lawn, deer urine in his air conditioner, etc. just make sure there are no cameras.

>If OP forgave his neighbor for these acts, then all thats left is to make peace.

>OP will be the bigger man if he goes face to face with the neighbor and clears things up.

Explain how one is a "bigger man" for forgiving a neighbor for making false police reports against them and threatening to throw them in jail. I don't see any reason to forgive this neighbor. If the reason is to prevent any further harassment, then the neighbor has the upper hand in this situation. OP should not be motivated by threats.

>What can I legally do?
not be an ass hole to your neighbor

getting angry is what children do

the cop should have arrested you and put you an in orphanage if you are that young

>Be American
>Literally not allowed a fucking fence round your property or the police will come and even if you don't have one the police will come
That would be beyond belief anywhere outside of North Korea. At least you can just shoot at him or something I suppose.