Post rock is shit, it consists of 90% boring ambient and 10% predictable crescendos, prove me wrong

post rock is shit, it consists of 90% boring ambient and 10% predictable crescendos, prove me wrong

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WoWRUkEaR7k
youtu.be/Q43P7LTaH44
youtube.com/watch?v=OeFZdiEjlGY
youtube.com/watch?v=CWxbeRggJRY
youtube.com/watch?v=UgbGIvw10aE#t=6m49
youtube.com/watch?v=nkOiKy6sXfM#t=2m9
youtube.com/watch?v=a3MiETaBSnc
youtube.com/watch?v=4Tr0otuiQuU
youtube.com/watch?v=SUZSYl1u_gw
youtube.com/watch?v=IY16jV7ievU
youtube.com/watch?v=f-CPeCECS6o&feature=youtu.be
youtu.be/v0N-R1IbIxg?t=395
youtu.be/WYlpqsfSY-4?t=269
youtube.com/watch?v=T7-z5IDPGDg
youtube.com/watch?v=H6a-kkTPJHY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>prove me wrong
I literally can't

But fandango likes it so it's good

Yes. That's why you don't listen to anything after 2nd wave.

There's a handful of releases I like, mainly F#A# Infinity but yeah, you're right. Post-rock works much better when infused with other genres as it removes some of the predictability.

Not all post-rock is crescendocore though.

Hurtbreak Wonderland youtube.com/watch?v=WoWRUkEaR7k

What is wrong with LYSF you can't even compare it to anything from 3rd wave

This doesn't describe Talk Talk, Bark Psychosis, Tortoise, Slint (or any other first wave post-rock). But your description fits all of the shitty post-rock albums, including the pic you posted

Consider yourself wrong.
youtu.be/Q43P7LTaH44

be that as it may, I'm still going to listen to it because I like it

Just like every genre you have to sift through the bad and boring shit to find things you like.

Try out Setting Sail in April by By the End of Tonight
youtube.com/watch?v=OeFZdiEjlGY

rock is shit, it consists of 90% boring ambient and 10% predictable crescendos, prove me wrong
Posted.
whad do I get

Thats exactly whats OP is refeering to
I really cant understand how a band can write almost 1 hour of music so homogeneous and uninteresting.
I dont know, maybe throw some samples in there? Spoken words, interesting pedals or different instruments like horns or saxophones? Shit is samey as fuck i could skip to any section of the video and it sounds the same

>'W- what did you say about us, y- you punk?'

is Slint considered post rock? I love Spiderland but it's been called math rock more often.

I agree with the exception of artists that doesn't apply to like Tortoise or Cul De Sac.

the majority of the 00's post-rock bands were just copying each other and were at the majority of times pretty uninventive and boring

doesn't mean they didn't serve a purpose however.

it's kinda like proto-(post-rock) i guess

>proto post rock
So that'd be just rock, wouldn't it?

It's really only math rock on the first song, every other song stays in the same time signature for the entire duration

Tortoise tho

You'd have to be brain dead in the middle of the night to be able to enjoy it.

Not quite? The songs had a similar structure compared to a Talk Talk record, but the instrumentation was stripped back. Proto-post-rock is a confusing way to put it, it's more like a minimalist post-hardcore/post-rock.

LYSF is an exception to that rule. It has crescendos but at least they're executed well enough to make up for its formulaic nature. And, "Antennas to Heaven" is something else entirely.
They're not discussed nearly as much but Doldrums and Hash Jar Tempo would like a word as well. Both are first wave and had some excellent releases. Where's Dirty Three?
GIAA plays generic 3rd wave post rock

I'd say I have a pretty good grasp on what post-rock is. AMA

>It's an "OP talks shit about a genre after listening to the most popular album of it on Sup Forums once"

Listen to this you uncultured piece of shit.

what is it lad?

no, you're being mean

t. "your favourite music is shit"

post-rock is emotionally dishonest desu

too vague to really define it. the definition I like to go by is this:

1. using rock instruments to do non rock things
2. fusion between different styles (not just playing one style then switching to another)
3. more extensive use of timbre and texture

though some people will dispute this, hence why theres a debate and why we will never have a clear handle on how to define it.

I exclusively listen to post-rock. While it may be predictable sometimes, I don't feel like that is much different from other types of music I've listened to in the past. I love post-rock. It just works for me.

*gybe is shit

:^)
on a serious note, i don't hate GYBE, i listened to LYSF and F#A# and just found them to be OK with a few great moments, but mostly just boring ambient. Also feel the same with Swans post-SFTB. I'll listen to Sigur Ros and some more later

Acupuncture is really good

listen to better post-rock like Hex, Rachel's, Gastr del Sol.

>"Antennas to Heaven" is something else entirely.
what do you mean? I liked Static and Sleep the most, thought Antennas was the weakest

As someone who listens to more ambient/drone than most I'd hardly call some of the material on those albums boring. Their more recent drone stuff is pretty unimaginative though

Because compositionally it's much different than the other tracks. It isn't hampered by the long build--crescendo formula and operates more as a fantasia. It's the most impressive track on the album desu

>predictable crescendos
never understood this point. You can dislike postrock all you want but unless 100% of music you like is free improv/indeterminate it usually has some form and element of predictability. If you like any song that's ABABCB form (most rock/pop) then this point is completely invalid.

Because most people on Sup Forums only reference the old first wave favorites: (Talk Talk, Tortoise, Slint, Cul de Sac, Gastr del Sol, Dirty Three, Hex, etc.) and that's as far as they go before moving into other genres

if you've ever enjoyed a song and had a good idea what the form was i.e. knowing approximately when a chorus was going to come back then the "predictable" argument is just you being a smoothbrain lmao

fuck you

nice argument

Spiderland and Spirit of Eden/Laughing Stock are generally considered to be the first post-rock albums.

crescendo is not equal to a chorus, it's just a loud mess that's only fun when it happens once or maybe twice. imagine if every song on king crimson's Red ended up like Starless, it would lose its charm

hahahaha

>imagine if every king crimson song ended up like their best song
hmmmm

>a crescendo is a loud mess that's only fun when it happens once or maybe twice
lmao this is so retarded. I literally don't think you understand what that word means. You realize people have been using the crescendo-structured format in classical music for hundreds of years before godspeed, yes? I don't have a provable list or anything, but I would argue if you took 100 of the most famous western classical pieces ever more than half would be structured specifically around a crescendo

also starless is the only good song on red anyways

I still really can't believe "a crescendo is just a loud mess" you are really a smoothbrain huh?

I don't even like godspeed but goddamn

So you don't know what a crescendo is.

jesus christ you're retarded
youtube.com/watch?v=CWxbeRggJRY
youtube.com/watch?v=UgbGIvw10aE#t=6m49
youtube.com/watch?v=nkOiKy6sXfM#t=2m9
youtube.com/watch?v=a3MiETaBSnc
youtube.com/watch?v=4Tr0otuiQuU

eeeewwww listen to these loud messes!!!! These guys are so dumb for all using yucky crescendos gross!!!!!

It is impossible to talk about post-rock on here with any kind of productivity because it is simply a retread of the same bands/albums that we know are great. There were some 150 post-rock albums released in 2015 and mu has never mentioned any one of them, and yet some of you love to trumpet that "post-rock is dead" shit.

i mean there were 9000+ vaporwave albums released this year probably but it's still dead as shit

the difference is that classical musicians did it waaaay better than GYBE. GYBE is not nearly as skilled as Bethoven or Tchaikovski i guess. And no, I don't know theory to debate it, I just know it doesn't sounds as good

It's clearly not dead, as you just posted evidence to the contrary. We have different definitions of dead I suppose.

Bet you really spend hours off your days listening to classical music huh

>And no, I don't know theory to debate it, I just know it doesn't sounds as good
Then you don't know. You're just stating an opinion with unstable ground and holding fast to it for some strange reason.

i did listen to plenty of beethoven and "rite of spring"

maby just not your type of music, am I right?

Its ok to say that, but not with that pic

you faggot

This has some I haven't heard before, thanks!

Some people are just fucking impossible to please.

bump

why

the first two
Also, mathrock doesn't use odd time signatures too much. Usual odd poly rhythms

I'd say

1. rock instruments used to make textures
2. linear song structures
3. samples

but tnt is worse still lol

post-rock is one of those genres you find when you're relatively new to more underground music. it is great when it is new, and you think antennas to heaven is the best song ever made, because all the newbs think moya is the best one but they are just plebs.
5 years down the line, you have more or less grown out of it, and don't want to set aside over an hour to listen to one album like you used to.

one day you'll discover the likes of labradford and talk talk, alongside ep+ 6 by mogwai, and you'll transcend the genre.

Post some great postrock albums then, please

>no Acupuncture
Do you even On the Pine nigga

Dirty Three are perhaps the greatest Post-rock band. They should get more love.

I'll check em out

I can't remember much from that album from when I first listened to it. It's been a while though so I'm going to go back and revisit it, along with a few others

/THIS

where is Analogue??

This is exactly what I was talking about here, lol:

More people need to listen to Moonshake.

this band is awesome

Eating And Sleeping #15 is fucking great. Glad it's on that chart.

Nah, those songs are still great down the line. One can listen to both first wave and second wave just fine while enjoying both styles. Third wave is mostly shit though

And then you move on to ambient pop.

Love that Bowery Electric album so much. Very multi-faceted album, with some ambient and even trip-hop.

I wouldn't really consider that album essential

Thank you for this post, everything I've tried so far I've loved.

you're welcome. I still have a few more albums to listen to, so I'll be updating the chart soon enough

Check out this:
youtube.com/watch?v=SUZSYl1u_gw

I've already listened to inindependance. I figured that in terms of post-rock/math rock to just leave Don Cab and Storm and Stress and Slint

That's fair, but I'll make the argument that A Minor Forest is sort of an outlier in the entire post-rock canon. They have a more metal influence that makes itself known in their music, but they also have a complete lack of solos unlike say Slint's Spiderland. They're also more playful with their music, which goes in line with Storm & Stress, but S&S doesn't have the explosions of sound that A Minor Forest has.

what is exactly post rock? instrumental rock? or some kind of ambient rock?
youtube.com/watch?v=IY16jV7ievU

That is sorta true. While they are more metal influenced, lack solos, and are more playful, the band Vexed had already done that several years prior with their album "The Good Fight"

youtube.com/watch?v=f-CPeCECS6o&feature=youtu.be

It's a rather vague name, but the way I defined it is here>Also this person here had an interpretation worth noting>

That is interesting stuff for sure. Thanks for the share. But Vexed doesn't have vocals like this:
youtu.be/v0N-R1IbIxg?t=395
Or explosions like this:
youtu.be/WYlpqsfSY-4?t=269
Or songs like:
youtube.com/watch?v=T7-z5IDPGDg

True, but it does recall the band Rodan
youtube.com/watch?v=H6a-kkTPJHY

>Transient Random-Noise
>DC2
>Ocean Songs
>Storm & Stress

Great albums but really stretch the definition of post-rock lmao

So you're saying that post-rock brings more timbre and dynamics than any other rock genre? Yeah, I agree.

Any modern post-rock that sounds more like first-wave?

>Don Cab 2
I'd say What Burns... is more post-rock than that

asking for first wave is such a vague way of asking for recs. What first wave albums?