Anyone here ever had their tonsils removed as an adult...

Anyone here ever had their tonsils removed as an adult? I had to go to the hospital two weeks ago because of throat pain, and it turned out a had a serious infection and had to stay for two days. He mentioned I may have to get my tonsils removed and I'm stressed out about it. Today I woke up and I'm not feeling too good. I'm not in pain or anything but I'm lightheaded and I feel really weird. I have antibiotics but I do smoke cigs so it's almost like it cancels it. I've been coughing too here and there. Anyone ever had to have it done? How long were you in the hospital? I really don't want to do it and be stuck in the hospital for ANY amount of time the food is fucking terrible and it's fucking depressing

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but supposedly tonsil removal is the most painful type of surgery, or at least one of the most painful. Heard stories of women thinking child birth was easy after having their tonsils removed.

Any dental work is complete Hell.

That's what the doctor told me too. I had to do a drainage of my tonsil and it was painful as fuck, way more than I expected. That's another reason I don't want to do it.

I don't think that counts as dental work

Oh man, first- it's fucking painful.
Second: it's fucking dangerous, some die after the surgery, caused by medical shit.

What the fuck are you serious? Do they at least give you pain medication afterwards? This is fucking bullshit man

Tonsillectomy is outpatient you pathetic faggot

Okay sorry I'm not a super genius that knows everything about everything like you

Also I'm confused, do they keep you awake during this surgery? Or is the pain from afterwards?

What?

What?

Had mine out as an adult, in and out within 34 hours, so u will be in for one night, and u have to eat a meal before u leave. If u can't due to pain, and it will hurt regardless, u might have an infection. Recovery time is about 2 weeks and u will be weak as solid food will hurt to eat so u will eat little. DO NOT EAT CHOCOLATE. It will coat and stick to the wound site. Drink fluids, enjoy the ice cream and cut down the cigs while u heal. Any other questions?

What?

Yeah do you get to keep the tonsils

are you fucking retarded, they put you under, take your tonsils out and then you go home the same fucking day. Simple fucking thing grow the fuck up.

Didnt ask, but give it a try and post pics if successful

Knocked out, pain is all after u wake

Were you awake during the surgery? How much pain were you in afterwards? Do they give you pain pills? Is it true you never get a sore throat after they're removed?

Another thing can you work out at all after the surgery?

No, was totally gone with general anaesthetic. Quite a bit of pain when I woke, but I had an infection so can't say how much worse that made it. Im from UK so got plenty of pain meds post op, never had pain comparable to tonsilitis since but can still get a sore throat etc with colds and flu. On balance, glad I got it done but it will be sore. Paracetamol to be fair was enough to keep the edge off

If u have the energy but u need to heal so best to do nothing for up to 14 days

That's the main thing I'm worried about. When he did the drainage he gave me anaestheic but I was awake and it was so fucking painful, and from what I understand this surgery is way worse. I'm also worried I'm not gonna be able to deal with the pain but they're not gonna give me anything for it. This whole thing is fucking me off. I have an appointment next week and based off how I feel I'm pretty sure he's going to say I need them removed.

Prepare to take a month off of work. Not kidding. I didn't eat for the first 7 days.

Can't comment on drainage but the one thing u can bank on is, as long as you're healing the tenderness is always going to get less and less. Suck it up dude and get it done if u need it. It's sore, true, but over the counter meds are enough to deal with it by day 3, and you'll get some stonger ones for the first few days

Got my tonsils removed when I was 18 due to chronic tonsiloliths. I'm 21 now. It was my first surgery ever and actually discovered that I have a rare genetic disease that makes me "allergic" to anesthesia called pseudocholinesterase deficiency.

I was completely paralyzed after waking up from the surgery but was 100% conscious and aware. This went on for a few hours with a mechanical tube down my throat.

Anyway, besides that, it was totally worth it. The tonsiloliths were so fucking annoying. Also tonsils make your breath smell bad and make it way easier to get sore throats. The post operation recovery was really fucking horrible actually, easily the most miserable I've ever felt in my entire life. Swallowing anything feels like you're trying to eat hot knives. It's awful.

But it was worth it. I love not having tonsils. Ask me anything else you wanna know.

ent surgeon dumbass