What is truly wrong with me that I am 26 and still can't do anything socially without extreme mental pain...

What is truly wrong with me that I am 26 and still can't do anything socially without extreme mental pain? I've graduated college and am now in the USMC and I'm still a virgin and get so much anxiety from talking to people..

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypericum
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Your parents raised you on tv and sugar you are basically useless as a functional human. Now go and fuck until you make reproduce.

all those years around liberal faggotry will do that to you op

Go to the gym
Stop giving a shit about what people think
When you walk out the door in the morning, you can be anyone you want to be.

my mom is liberal af and she is the only one who raised me..

Autistic people can get exhausted after being and interacting with other humans

Have you ever considered that there's something wrong with society?

It's healthy to take respocibilaty for yourself, but it takes two to tango. Maybe society is fucked?

You should go find a Cognitive Behavioral psychologist and enroll in a mindfulness meditation class.
I used to have anxiety induced Agoraphobia, where I would have to use 8 hours psyching myself up to go grocery shopping.
Mindfulness meditation and cognitive behavioral therapy helped me recover from that and get to a point where I function almost normally in social situations.

>single parent

did she ever not criticise you like even once?

maybe don't blame your problems on others if you wanna stand any chance to fix your own life?

I am confident that I am not autistic.. maybe very very mild but I doubt it.

easier said than done and I do go to the gym

she rarely criticized me but I figured that was because I didn't really do anything bad during my youth. Adulthood is a different story though..

I'll look into this right now.

Heard of zeek?

I'm 34 and avoid all social interactions. I find it's easiest to just be sarcastic and making jokes all the time. That way, you can put people off but they still think you're funny and not a social retard.

The only person I hang out with is my wife, but I'm happy. I worked hard and have lots of money and a nice house on the ocean. I have a handful of great hobbies.

Just work out at home (fuck the gym) start cycling a lot, getting outside... find fun loner hobbies.

Honestly, socializing is overrated.

>easier said than done and I do go to the gym
Then there is no helping you

Trend of the month club.

Why not try being castrated and put in sensory deprivation?

Every week there is a new way of bullshitting your problems through another technique rather than facing them and owning up to who you are.

When looking for CBT don't be a afraid to get a couple of referrals and setting up a trial session with different psychologists so you can see if your personalities fit.
Having a psychologist you can respect will enable you to listen to their advice and implementing the changes you agree on taking.
With the mindfulness meditation, attending a class can give you the benefit of meeting other people in a similar position to you and realizing that your emotional condition is surprisingly normal.
I can also recommend doing Chi Gong exercises, they're not specifically related to any research done on treating anxiety, but it does give you a better concept of how your body feels and through that a better awareness of anxiety before it becomes an attack.

>doesn't like the masses
>must need mental help

Maybe you just don't like unpredictable, stupid, unwashed retards? I think it's normal.

Highly social people are stupid as fuck.

>zeek
no.

is your sarcasm and humor the way you attracted your wife?

sensory deprivation sounds interesting but castration is a completely different story..

Please look up the peer reviewed research done on treating PTSD with cognitive behavioral therapy and mindfulness meditation user.
PTSD is like anxiety on crack, so the things I recommend should be able to help op.
I wouldn't recommend this if I hadn't already gone through it and had beneficial results myself.
CBT is basically training in dealing with your shit head on and mindfulness meditation is training in accepting who you are and how you feel, I.E. owning up to who you are.

this.

After going to the mall i usually feel more tired then after the gym.

op try wearing sunglasses when you go out. It helps with too much eye contact

Yeah, my wife appreciates dry humor.

how bout trying lorazepame or an antidepressant?
either that or fucking long years psychotherapy shit - in my opinion the only two oprions that really help with social anxiety

i recommend improv and exposure therapy. coming from someone who used to be very socially anxious. good luck user

I will probably need to wait to see a psychologist due to my military contract. unless I can see one somehow in Japan. but I am looking into it nonetheless. How long did it take for you to reach a level where you could regularly go grocery shopping without 8 hours of preparation?

if this is the case it could be subconscious.

I'll look this up right now.

Well I started seeing small increments of improvements within months of starting on it.
I think within a year I was able to go grocery shopping without any warmup.
I took about one year of cognitive behavioral therapy and through that learned the tools to continue on my own after that, while still attending a mindfulness meditation class in the years after.
I've now been virtually free of anxiety attacks for about 2.5 years. I still feel the occasional twinge of anxiety, but it doesn't impact my daily life anymore.

It is possible bullying in my youth contributed to my anxiety but I don't know if I could classify it as PTSD but the treatment methods suggested are very promising. I bookmarked a few websites that I will read in depth later. thank you.

I wear sunglasses whenever I go out and it is socially acceptable to do so. I still don't believe that I have autism, maybe I should look further into it though.

i was on wellbutrin in college for a bit but I didn't notice a difference so I stopped taking it and stopped going to the doctor.

thank you I will consider doing this. after i learn a little bit more but honestly the idea of improv really scares me.

wellbutrin is just one trial.
and a pretty bad one in my opinion.
in social anxiety i'd recommemd venlafaxin or another ssri/snri

I wouldn't classify social anxiety as PTSD either.
But they are mental conditions that stem from the same area in the brain.
Anxiety is basically your fight, flight or freeze response misfiring from time to time, PTSD is more like that response is on all of the time with no breaks.
Back when I went for help to treat my anxiety, my psychologist gave me a bunch of paper printouts of peer reviewed studies done on treating PTSD and anxiety with cognitive behavioral therapy and mindfulness meditation.
He basically nipped any skepticism of mine in the bud by giving me scientific proof of what he was going to recommend I should do.
You looking it up on your own should do the same for you.

cocaine is the answer

thank you for sharing your personal experience. I really needed to see a realistic timetable. I am now trying to set a realistic goal by the time of my birthday in August

You're welcome, sharing my experiences also helps with my process, so you're doing me a favor as well.
I'm not gonna bullshit you though, depending on how severe you anxiety is and your personal disposition, your recovery time might be longer or shorter than mine. Don't let it beat you down if it happens to be longer. The fact that you are taking responsibility for how you feel and doing something to deal with it, should be your goal more than a specific date in the future.

I have a very mild case. Makes it hard for me to make friends cause im too nervous unless ive known you for a few months, eye contact is a little difficult, and hearing more than a few back ground conversations at once like in a restaurant is about the extent of mine

Honestly unless youre autistic to the point of blurting out really inappropriate shit or something autism isnt that big of a deal. Hell i think ive heard peter thiel going on about how most of the ceo's he knows are aspies

didn't mean to link to the post 3 times.

do you know of any non prescription drugs or is it realistic to get them without a doctor?

thank you I opened up a bunch of tabs from google scholar that I will look at after this thread.

I've heard the high from cocaine is very short lived and I have tried other recreational drugs that always caused more harm than good. but if can you truly recommend this I'll look into it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypericum
it works for my aunt pretty well

I'll keep that in mind and not beat myself down too much if my progress isn't as expected. Thank you

Very interesting. Some of what you are describing is what I thought social anxiety was. I didn't know that they shared some symptoms. Were you ever diagnosed?

saint john's wort?

I will save this page so I have it long after it dies. Thank you to everyone who posted.

sry, from germany.
so hypericum is a plant used here to treat mild depressions and anxious/nervous ills

just read the english article. yes, saint john's wort.

that's what I figured. It's in my amazon shopping cart now. Thanks