Montreal Expos

I think there'd be a huge interest in MLB returning to Montreal. I think the Tampa Bay Rays should pack up and move there and be reflagged as the Expos. What say you, Sup Forums? Leafs please weigh in.

Why don't we move the >rags up there instead? That way they can play Toronto all the time and chimp out at them as much as they want while still getting humiliated on a regular basis

>Tampa Bay Rays
Nah, the Rays will build a new stadium in Tampa; one that's not complete shit. The best thing Montreal will get is a couple of cock tease games at Olympic Stadium

why do they play in a dome in fucking florida?

Probably because of the weather.

Id be first in line. I used to go to game every week before they left.

Also, the dump they play at in St Pete's is ten times worse than the Big O in Montreal. It would be fine as a temp stadium until the new one is built. It seats 54K and is still game ready

The big o is really not a great stadium at all unless they changed it since I last went to a game there 10 years ago.

I think the expos will be back in 5 years or so, I bet they try to put a team in mexico too

Fuck MLB. They only want ONE canadian franchise. Why would anyone want a new expo team in light of the American clusterfuck that MLB is anyway? You know they'll be pariahs like the Jays. We need a Canadian Baseball League.

Make Marlins Florida Again

Correct number of Canadian franchisees is 0

Correct number of nukes dropped on Canada is 439

I agree its an outdated, falling apart piece of concrete junk. Its still better than the trop. I've been to both trust me. It would be fine as a temp stadium. It was half decent when the retractable roof worked

The expos were the first canadian team M8. They were more popular too until the owners decided to take a dump on the franchise in the late 90s and not give a fuck anymore

Marlins to Montreal, renamed Expos (National League). Rays to Puerto Rico.

Yeah I've been to the trop too. Absolutely the worst stadium for any team in any sport

O.co is worse. So bad that the league has been threatening to move the team if they don't get a new one.

At least it's not a fucking concrete cell in central florida

I lived in Montreal for 35 years. This is the dumbest fan base in the world for all sports. Also they are massive band wagon jumpers. If the team is competitive they plan championship parades daily. If the team struggles for a second they stop supporting them altogether. This also extends to individual sports like tennis, MMA, boxing etc...

Responding directly to OP, there'd be interest for a year but if the team wasn't competitive it wouldn't make any money and they'd be a waste of everyone's time.

As a Montrealer, I agree with this. I still think a second chance for the expos would be worth it in a new downtown ballpark. The original team would have lasted if it werent for the owners who stopped marketing, scounting and attempting to put a successful team on the field in the final years

The A's are looking at 4 sites. Howard Terminal, Laney College near downtown, another site in the Port of Oakland and the current Coliseum property. They will be building a new ballpark with private money. They can't leave. The Giants sued to prevent it a while back. It went all the way to the Supreme Court. The Court upheld MLB's ruling.

This
The reason no one goes to Rays games is because not only is the Trop an awful stadium, it's located in buttfuck nowhere, St Pete. If Tampa Bay actually moved to Tampa (or somewhere in Hillsborough county), they'd be fine.

Because it was a hockey stadium, in fact, it was made before the Rays were even an idea

The Expos used to have the GOAT player development in the league too.

This was meant to be a reply to

Only 2 sites have any chance of happening: Howard Terminal and the Coliseum. In the end, the Coliseum property will almost certainly win.

The Giants didn't sue to prevent the A's from moving. The City of San Jose sued to allow the A's to move there and MLB was the defendant. The case was appealed to the Supreme Court by the City of San Jose and the appeal was rejected. The Supreme Court did not uphold or in any way rule on the issue, they just refused to hear it and allow the Appeals Court ruling to stand.

soon

There is no definitive ownership group in Montreal. There is also no stadium site selected, no stadium design, and no funding identified.

Because it rains and gets very hot and humid in the summer.

Wrong. Oakland is worse, and by a lot.

because Florida has god awful weather
always humid
hot a lot
rains a lot

The Expos should come back
The Hartford Whalers should comeback
The Supersonics should come back
The Texans should get the Oilers naming rights back