All music can be categorized in 4 types: classical, folk, popular and experimental

All music can be categorized in 4 types: classical, folk, popular and experimental.

Classical music aims at being good with basis on the knowledge, the erudition. The target audience is the intelectual elite, people who understand about music. It's also based on a set of traditions.

Folk music is all music made by the people exclusively that is transmited through traditions and is part of the culture and the identity of a community.

Popular music is almost everything discussed on this board. It's music that aims commercial sucess or the transmission of a message, a lot of times trying to convert the public into an idea. It's a lower class type of music.

Experimental, like classical, also aims at the erudition, but it does not have basis on previous knowledge.

Taking popular music any seriously is a joke.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_popular_music_genres
academia.edu/6932871/Total_Trash_Analysis_and_Post_Punk_Music
arizona.openrepository.com/arizona/bitstream/10150/145489/1/azu_etd_11579_sip1_m.pdf
academia.edu/Documents/in/Progressive_rock
academia.edu/Documents/in/Post_Punk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Popular music is almost everything discussed on this board. It's music that aims commercial sucess or the transmission of a message, a lot of times trying to convert the public into an idea. It's a lower class type of music.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_popular_music_genres
All of these are just the same, right? But hey, at least you've put some effort into your bait.

Feel free to recommend me some good classical, folk, and experimental music OP

Why did you indulge him? And for that matter, why did you bump?

It amuses me

>bait
there's nothing wrong with liking popular music, user, this is not what was implied. It's wrong to take it seriously as it is some kind of artistic thing

You avoided the question and you kept repeating yourself.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_popular_music_genres
>All of these are just the same, right?
Many of these genres have been recognized by the academia and subsequently analyzed.

Of course those are not all the same. Jazz has a serious scene, R&B employs vocal techniques that are even superior to classical in some ways and some others genres have serious musicians, but they are isolated cases.

But the point of those types of music is not to present any type of excellence or evolution to the music, some artists try to do such a thing but fail due to poor knowledge. If the intention is to transmit an emotional message, they might be inferior at doing such too.

Also, a lot of the genres in there could be considered from the others categories.

By that logic is hip hop folk ?

no

>But the point of those types of music is not to present any type of excellence or evolution to the music, some artists try to do such a thing but fail due to poor knowledge. If the intention is to transmit an emotional message, they might be inferior at doing such too.
I'll indulge you. Rock in opposition, progressive rock, zeuhl, post rock and post punk had nothing to present to rock music? Is that so? The academia disagress with you.
academia.edu/6932871/Total_Trash_Analysis_and_Post_Punk_Music
arizona.openrepository.com/arizona/bitstream/10150/145489/1/azu_etd_11579_sip1_m.pdf
academia.edu/Documents/in/Progressive_rock
academia.edu/Documents/in/Post_Punk
So, now what? Are you people going to stop bumping this?

Erm. Classical music is like classical literature, painting and everything else; masterfully created by people devoted to their craft. Following philosophical and societal changes - like modernism and popular culture - all creative media shifted across emerging markets and schools of thought.
Pop music is a commodity for the inarticulate masses - though it has since splintered across markets with people employing it in reference to itself like John Maus.
Etc etc. In a lot of ways music is the last to catch the wave every time something occurs. Art is always first along with literature and then film. You can look back over it across history. With the way society is changing - with contemporary art and literature being now outside of common discourse - there's a stagnation in music as most of its practitioners are still looking at stuff from 100 years ago/ignorant of current/new ideas and philosophies. So music has become a practice of homages to itself in the 21st century - like John Maus.

There's a good classification similar to yours posted around here - music is art, folk or popular. Sometimes jazz (improv) is a category for itself. But what would you consider "experimental"? Stockhausen, Reich etc. are a part of art music, Can, Merzbow etc. are a part of popular music (more or less).

Experimental music can come from any previously existent type, but it has original elements with some considerable importance in the piece.

why are you idiots getting baited by this

All pretty solid except the filename

That's a pretty unclear definition. Is Beethoven's 14th sonata experimental? Give me some actual examples.

I kinda agree in some respect but i dont think you realise that the lines between popular and experimental can blend

I do

It's not as it respects the definitions of classical music and it does not separate from the genre itself. Everyone in here knows that bands can play different genres and subgenres simultaneously, so something can be classical and experimental, experimental and pop or even classical and pop.

>Experimental, like classical, also aims at the erudition, but it does not have basis on previous knowledge.
> it does not have basis on previous knowledge.
explain

I get you dude but why shouldn't people take some pop music as serious art? Jazz surely should be taken as such in my opinion and a very few subgenres of rock

With every subsequent post this classification is becoming more and more nebulous and nonsensical. First you say that experimental needs original elements and that it comes from a previously existent type. I pick the 14th sonata, whose general structure is very original and free-form in comparison to the previous classicist sonatas and whose emotional content is much closer to romanticism. Then you say that it isn't experimental, that experimental should "separate from the genre" (so, to be experimental, the 14th sonata shouldn't be classical), while at the same time "something can be classical and experimental".

Just stop with this shit. Write down unambiguous definitions of the categories and give examples of each. Where are Beethoven, Debussy, the second Viennese school, Reich, Can, Beatles, King Crimson and Merzbow located in this system?

People, he didn't reply to this. Why are you still bumping his thread? Just leave.

shouldn't "classical" just be "art music"? Anyway, the most popular Sup Forumscore and RYM-core are what you can call "pop art", it's not purely pop and not purely art but it takes the best of both worlds and makes them accessible to the masses. There's nothing wrong with that honestly.

Make experimental part of popular music.