Alien Civilizations May Number In The Trillions, New Study Says

>The possibility that we earthlings are not truly alone in the universe has gained some added credibility, thanks to a new study that coincides with NASA's recent planetary discoveries. The research, published in the journal Astrobiology last week, suggests that more planets in the Milky Way galaxy may harbor advanced civilizations than we previously imagined.

>Study co-authors Adam Frank and Woodruff Sullivan looked at recent discoveries of potentially habitable exoplanets and considered the odds of whether sophisticated civilizations existed on them in the past or present.

>Frank says the potential number of planets orbiting their parent stars within a habitable distance is staggering.

>"Even if you are pretty pessimistic and think that you'd have to search through 100 billion (habitable zone) planets before you found one where a civilization developed, then there have still been a trillion civilizations over cosmic history!" Frank wrote. "When I think about that, my mind reels -- even if there is just a one in a 100 billion chance of evolution creating exo-civilizations, the universe still has made so many of them that we are swamped by histories other than our own".

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>In their Astrobiology paper, Frank and Sullivan write:

>"Recent advances in exoplanet studies provide strong constraints on all astrophysical terms in the Drake equation. We set a firm lower bound on the probability that one or more technological species have evolved anywhere and at any time in the history of the observable universe."

>The two scientists address what they refer to as "the cosmic frequency of technological species."

>"The universe is more than 13 billion years old," Sullivan, of the astronomy department and astrobiology program at the University of Washington, said in a statement. "That means that even if there have been 1,000 civilizations in our own galaxy, if they live only as long as we have been around -- roughly 10,000 years -- then all of them are likely already extinct. And others won't evolve until we are long gone.

Bumo

>what's the probability of life arising out of inanimate matter?
>"no fuckin idea"
>what's the probability of life in the universe
>"100%! YOU'D HAVE TO BE IGNORANT TO THINK WE'RE THE ONLY ONES IN THE UNIVERSE!"

Would finding aliens be a "Sup Forums BTFO" moment?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

Do the aliens support trump?

We're so good at dealing with separate races, religions, and nationalities. Aliens will be no problemo, sempi.

>tfw you wont get wipe out a single one of these trillion civilizations for God Emperor Trump

Depends. If the first thing they ask us is 'do you know about our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ?' then no.

Pretty much. Combine with what is testable

>Trillions of technologically advances species!
We would expect SOMETHING to contact us
>No technologically advances species but us
would would expect nothing to contact us

Which is the Universe we live in?

It's a false dilemma, of course, but it's to demonstrate the point; we have no clue. These papers are meaningless.

Gas the greys! Species war now!

Why has there been so much alien shit in the news and on TV recently? Also how Obama and crooked Hillary were talking about it.

Found it

the universe is sterile, to an empiricist.

50 years of straight radio silence. every rock we've ever scanned has been void of any kind of life. these people are cultists, not scientists

No. All of the smart ones here know aliens exist.
And I'm not talking about the Mexican kind.

>universe is fuckhuge
>look for 50 years

Guys, there's nothing!

This. It does seem like a bit more than usual. On the other hand, it does seem to pop up every time a candidate is running for the White House/president is leaving after 2 terms.

>tfw dinosaurs exist in other galaxies

If there is a species war, we are fucked unless the other species has more retards and SJWs than us.

Remember when these threads would just get flooded with a bunch of "ayyy lmao" responses? I miss those times.

Maybe we're like ants to them and they see no reason to communicate

Fucking chimp give me that food it looks delicious

Space niggers GTFO

You are like an ant to me.

The red pill is we are alone

What if they are debating right now what to do with us and the only thing preventing annihilation is ayy lmao SJWs?
Damn, I really made me think...

Why am I not surprised at your flag, Wang?

>unless the other species has more retards and SJWs than us.
If that was the case, there wouldn't be a species war.
They'd be sitting on their asses saying humans dindu nuffin while we rape their females and steal their shit.

Until proven otherwise, there is indeed nothing out there.

God damn that looks good.

Makes you wonder why they don't attempt more contact.

There's only 1 place where people are truly forbidden to go. Prisons

>Gas the greys! Species war now!

AYYY LMAO

What if some of the people we share the internet with are actually from other planets?

Yeah think of it this way:

We know Ants exist on our planet, right?
We know ants make anthills, right?
Would you travel across the world, by plane / boat / car / etc., to a different continent, walk in the jungle for days on end, find an anthill and then mess it up with a large poking stick?
That's basically what we are to aliens. They really don't have any gain to travel eons across the universe and poke us with a stick.

Likely, people simply cant fathom the randomness of human existence, think of all the luck it took

They won't. We can't even get to the moon anymore. If they can get here, then they have irradicated the genes that cause so much cognitive dissonance.

Damn really makes u think.

>trillion alien civilizations with hundreds of trillions of alien religions
How can theistcucks still defend their faith?

>what's the probability of life in the universe

I assure you, there is a 100% chance of life existing in the universe.

thats preposterous. why would we hide from you?

They probably do contact us but our tech is so primitive that it cannot detect them at all.

Japan please

>the universe still has made so many of them that we are swamped by histories other than our own
IN THIS UNIVERSE WE THOUGHT OURSELVES ALONE, SPECIAL. WE WERE WRONG. WE AND ALL OUR HISTORY TOGETHER ARE BUT A SINGLE GRAIN OF SAND IN AN ENDLESS BEACH. SO WE DECIDED IF WE ARE NOT BORN SPECIAL, WE SHALL MAKE OURSELVES TO BE SO.
AND SO WE CRUSHED THE GRAINS AROUND US, IT WAS LONG AND HARD, AND THEY BEGGED AND PLEADED TO NOT DO SO, BUT WE HAD NO CHOICE, EITHER WE ARE THE ONLY GRAIN OF SAND, OR WE DO NOT EXIST AT ALL. SOON, OUR GRAIN GREW TO A PEBBLE, AND THE OTHER GRAINS TREMBLED AND FEARED US, BUT WE WERE STILL A SINGLE PEBBLE ON A BEACH. SO WE GREW LARGER STILL, WE BECAME A STONE, THE SIZE OF A FIST. THAT FIST SMASHED AND SMASHED UNTIL IT BECAME A BOULDER. THAT BOULDER CRUSH AND CRUSHED UNTIL IT HAD FOUND IT HAD BECOME A MOUNTAIN. THE BEACH WAS STILL THERE, AS ENDLESS AS EVER, BUT ACROSS THE ENTIRE THING, ALL GRAINS COULD LOOK UP AND SEE THE MOUNTAIN.
HAIL THE EMPEROR OF MANKIND. HAIL THE RACE OF MANKIND.

Spotted the ayy lmao.

Trillions of planets with intelligent life but they are all humans.

>Wang

I'm turbo white blonde hair blue eyes master race, sorry friend but I'm not a slant-eye.

Only white aliens are advanced enough tho

On any given day, data from beyond the Voyagers could come pouring in. That would be absolute confirmation.

It's more of a risk scenario. We're fine if there's no life, but what if there is a superpredator alien species that wipes out any potential threats and here we are broadcasting ourselves to the galaxy.

>possibility
>suggests
>may
>potentially
>potential number

:^)

>Until proven otherwise, there is indeed nothing out there

yikes

No only Christfags are dumb enough to think we are alone and special in the galaxy

Or what if the KANGZ are getting ready to return after thousands of years among the stars.

THAT would be THE Sup Forums BTFO moment.

>universe is almost 14,000,000,000 years old
>there are around 100,000,000,000 stars in our galaxy alone
>it is almost 10,000 light years wide
>the nearest star to us is still 4.4 light years away
>we've been passively listening to radio signals in a very tiny chunk of sky for 50 years
>so far haven't gotten much
Welp, pack it up boys. There's no empirical evidence

I'm guessing because it's low hanging fruit for the marketing Jew for the ratings cycle. The reality alien TV shows which have killed the novelty of reporting about aliens have been out of the limelight for a while now. That, or society is so depressed and in search of the belief of going somewhere else than here, anywhere else but here.

The history of life on this planet is primarily single-celled. So even with life arising, it took quite a while to get anywhere.

I don't think people really appreciate just how huge the universe is.

The Milky Way Galaxy, alone, has something like a billion stars within it, iirc. Just for some perspective: if you were to count from 1 to 1 billion -- at an interval of 1 second per number -- it would take you over 30 years.

And, not only that, but there are millions of other galaxies, each with millions of stars within them, with billions of planets, etc.

To think we've even scraped the surface is just dumb.

We'd win the galactic Darwin Award.

The thought that I'll never experience the discovery of any of these planets is depressing.

>every rock we've ever scanned has been void of any kind of life

Not even true. There have been strong signs of microbial life on Mars.

Our oceans are made of water that came from interstellar space meaning alien life is real, heck there are aliens in our solar system right now in the oceans of the gas giant moon.

Shit like this makes me wish I could do LCD, shrooms or something. I feel like I'm missing out of a perspective those substances help with.

>thinks 50 years through space is a long time

I've always thought that earth was some alien kid's school project he just let's keep going

I think meditation can help get you there.

thats pretty cool

> if there have been 1,000 civilizations in our own galaxy, if they live only as long as we have been around -- roughly 10,000 years -- then all of them are likely already extinct. And others won't evolve until we are long gone.

oh

>Hey guys we scanned a few rocks out of infinity this clearly means there is no life whatsoever.

> like a billion stars within it

More like 200-400 billion.

No it doesn't. Any species out there advanced enough to travel through the stars, assuming we've been discovered by such a species, knows that the majority of us are stupid and scared enough to try and go to war with something we don't understand because it might potentially threaten our perceived power over the planet. Can you imagine how the Jews, the people whose one true belief is that they are the chosen ones ordained by God and everyone else is made to serve, would react to such a potential threat to authority?

Water is the remnants of a horrific war that took place between intensely sophisticated alien nations on Earth before us.

Exactly Rico

I wonder if the reason why we haven't been contacted is because they just don't give a shit. Like imagine you lived in a world where interacting among alien species was the norm. Traveling to different worlds as part of your job. Like something in startrek or some shit.

Now, you know theres thousands of civilizations like this. Would you really give a damn about a civilization like ours? Where we haven't even started to spread ourselves outside of our solar bubble? Theres literally no need for aliens to be interested in what we do on earth.

None of this even matters because the Earth is flat you fucking retards.

Dont fret, our species will likely be wiped out before any alien life is discovered

What do we do if FTL is just impossible and the distances are just too big for any meaningful communication? I want to have sex with an alien.

That's precisely how science works, dipshit

Jews are batshit insane they think they are the chosen even after science proves they are just nothing special humans.

Christfags should be some of the strongest believers of transdimensional beings

Religious texts of all types speak of humanoid beings emanating from fucking light. Probably not even metaphorically, but possibly even literally.

To travel at the speed of light, you probably have to become light.

Let's hope an Earth year is milliseconds in their time...

So you don't exist?

>Fishies and buggies
Ayyylmao

>sample size of 0%

lol, science

>Humans hate other "humans" that they're almost nearly identical with besides a few differences
>Everyone's cumming themselves for aliens to visit us
It'll be cool for three minutes then everyone's going to hate the space niggers.

Are you pretending to be retarded?

Dam beat me to it. Also whats to say a alien species hasnt made a diffrent form of communication instead of radio signals.

>inb4 our first contact happens with space jews trying to overtake earth jews

Or they may number in the 0.
Until we meet one it's all speculation.
Sage.

If a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one near to hear it, does it make a sound

>well, based on my personal assumptions, this is what I think the universe might be like

That's not how science works. Right now there's 0 evidence for any alien civilizations, therefore the only reasonable assumption would be that there are no alien civilizations. That doesn't mean that there are none or that you're saying it's impossible for alien civilizations to exist, just that there's 0 evidence for one despite looking for said evidence for decades.

earth being 4 billion years old makes the 14 billion year old universe seem young

its true

They dont exist
Or
We are more advanced than them

>Mexican aliens

You mean the cumbia of the marcianito?

>We would expect SOMETHING to contact us

its impossible, theres a limit on what can be communicated through space. that doesnt rule out other civilizations. not an argument fagt

ayy lmao

tfw we as a planet get colonized and caught up in next intergalactic war

Retard

Yes it does because hearing is nothing more than your brain making you perceive the vibrations that already exist.

>well guys i looked at this leaf and theres nothing on it guess that means the amazon rainforest is totally devoid of life