This album turns 50 today

Thoughts?

Fuck mike love

pretty good but I prefer The Smile Sessions

I made this

Good but Wild Honey is the better album from 67

>Listening to Beach Boys after Pet Sounds

>this pleb doesn't know how good the 67-72 period is (it's better than pet sounds in many ways)

73 really

would of been better if mike love didn't fuck everything up.

The reddit opinion

Wonderful and Wind Chimes sound so dreamy here. So great

The ending to wind chimes is just my favorite moment in any music. So pure.

they legit sound like angels

Surf's Up is a solid album. And Smile Seessions is essential.

It's alright, but it feels like an album of interludes, like if Tom Waits made a whole album of stuff like Trouble's Braids. Short, half-baked tracks that are more novel than genuinely engaging

One of my favorite albums. I think I'll listen to it and celebrate it's birthday.

>half-baked tracks

brother, i'm pretty sure they were fully baked when they did at least one of the tracks on that album.

personally, i'm hoping someday somebody (hey if i ever have the talent and the instruments i'll do it) does some sort of "Pet Sounds via Smiley Smile" cover album where they cover the Pet Sounds songs in the psychedelic and stoner-esque like ways of the Smiley Smile recordings. Wouldn't It Be Nice sung in a slow lazy way accompanied by just a ukulele and bongo drums.. think about it, won't you?

I'm greedy though and also love the idea of Pet Sounds.. Love You style too!

touché

i knew all this time they came out the same year but, it wasn't until this thread that i bothered to look up the months and, jesus christ, its a bit mindblowing that smiley smile and wild honey were released only like 3 or 4 months apart from each other.
fucking hell imagine being a beach boys fanatic at the time you get smiley smile and you get an album that doesn't exactly live up to the promise of pet sounds and good vibrations but, that's okay and then just a few months later there's already a new beach boys album and is it going to be more stoner music? are they back on the pet sounds thing? you put it on and the first notes of wild honey blare out of your speakers and soon carl wilson is wailing out "MAMA!!! i'm tellin' you as sure as I'm standing here" in the fantastic soulful way that only carl wilson could and you realize these mad wonderful bastards have completely switched gears on you yet again because, now they're doing motherfucking r&b

And then, 6 months later, they release another gem, this time mellow and calm relaxing music. What a time it was to be Beach Boys fan.

damn...

If you like this lazy, stripped down approach, Beach Boys did it earlier on Party album. It supposed to sound like a party with Beach Boys in your room.

Are you serious. 24 minutes of underproduced crass stevie wonder impersonations. Not even long enough to be an album. Just lazy.

Love You is essential in understanding the decline of Brian and his enduring genius imo

Also Smiley Smile is glorious, I recommend the new(ish) stereo mix as well, it has much better balanced vocals than the mono edition

I'LL BE HE'S NICE

IF MAAARS HAD LIFE ON IT
I MIGHT FIIIIND A WIFE ON IT

>Not liking Smile Sessions, Sunflower, or Surf's Up

better than smile