I am planning to drop out to pursue music

I am planning to drop out to pursue music.

How do I accomplish this, I've been expelled once and my parents would be disappointed but legally I am allowed to drop out.
This idea to drop out came to mind because I absolute despise the education system, I've learned everything from self study and I feel that with Wikipedia and YouTube there is no need for schools.
I've been depressed because of life circumstances and how toxic the school environment is.
I feel that teachers are intellectually inferior gloriied babysitters and that I am better off not going to an institute full of intellectually inferior people.

Anyone have advice?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Y9SWwd2s5rE&list=RDY9SWwd2s5rE&index=1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Do what you want, faggot.

How cute are you?

lmao have fun dumbass

>I am planning to drop out to pursue music.
To be successful in music isn't about creating good music anymore, it's about whatever makes money.
It's about getting people to like you, making you stick out, and making generic catchy music.

>I am planning to drop out to pursue music.
>Anyone have advice?
You can pursue music, but don't drop out.
The chances are that music will often fail you, and will leave you fucked over if it's your main source of income.
Do something to support yourself, and rely on that as you try to make it in music.

Assuming you are trolling, but there is no money in music right now.

I did that. 44 year old ancient fag alcoholic now. Luckily I've got some money from the family land that sold overseas now and I'm buying property and renting it out. So I can finally get out of this bohemian bum bullshit. I had some good times with it though and got pretty good at Jazz guitar but man I'm sure glad to be seeing the light at the end of that tunnel. Good luck man you will need it.

i suppose as long as you stick to it and have talent you can do it, but its a bad idea objectively, i kinda regret dropping out havent looked for work yet its just kind of made me lazier and unmotivated but everyone is different

Solid advice right here.

are you good looking? otherwise your fucked. if you are go for it. Worst case scenario you move to california/newyork and get gigs as a movie/tv extra making 30 bucks an hour to stand on a street corner

Judging by your choice of OP pic, I hope you don't make it.

Depends on the genre. dont go into rap or r&b shit no point. If learn blues and classic rock on guitar just play acoustical for some cash. Dont assum youll become famous, just take it in steps. try getting laid first

If you are serious about it you will go to music school. If you just want to be a rock star you are a class A retard. Practice with me now. "Spare some change?"

I Have potential. I know marketing is important in music. Nobody would know Kurt Cobain or lil peep or xxxtentacion had they been ugly.

I'm gonna do steroids, surgery and mind altering drugs

you're fucking stupid.

>self study
>Wikipedia

You fucked up.

Congratulation. You now realize that you are too dumb to finish school. Prepare for a life of crappy dive bars, flying glass bottles, and the skankiest groupies you'll ever see.

dude its not so bad. I made 45k last year with my band. its not about being famous its about the liefestyle. any decent bar has bands so its not hard

I can vouch for that. Made similar choices in life. It gets old. I'd add that they will be the snakiest you will ever smell too.

>Steriods
>surgery
I thought you wanted to be a musician not a tlc show star
>also imply that you need such extremes to have "potential" proves your an ugly faat fuck and will die in a gutter drowning in your piss

either you go to music school or have fun flipping burgers user

Never mind actually oh I don't know, learning to play an instrument or anything. Sad.

Playing at a restaurant for kids sounds good if you believe in tomorrow

Everything is dead

Yeah good luck there Manilow

if you can "legally" drop out of school your parents are also able to "legally" kick your ass to the curb. Good luck following a fruitless dream faggot.

I think in the end, it doesn't really matter

Yeah, now. Just have a backup plan, otherwise; I just foretold your future. Also, to think Wikipedia is a free substitute for an education is ridiculous. It's like saying poison ivy makes a suitable replacement for spinach.

As a semi-professional musician I hope I can offer some advice. Pursing a musical career is hard work, possibly even harder than going to school would be. Some people can make it without an education, but most can't. Here are some tips.
>Get a fall back job, there is a big chance that you will not make a living playing music
>Limit your time spent doing anything except playing/practicing/writing
>FUCKING READ! (recommended books: "Punk is a Four-letter Word" by Ben Weasel, "Writing Better Lyrics" by Pat Robbison, Tao of the Wu by The RZA, just about anything pertaining to music, art, or the music industry)
>LISTEN TO MUSIC - not just the songs and genres you like, but all kinds, listen to up-coming artists, go to live shows, critique music with friends and band mates, take something both positive and negative away musically from every piece of music you can listen to.
>get involved in your local scene by supporting other artists, pass out flyers, attend shows, start a band, host gigs, host traveling bands.
>actually do it

as Mitch said it back then. Yolo mofo, btw. nice thread. I'm thinking about doing the same shit as you... I'm a musician myself as well.

this is pretty solid. If you drop out make sure you have some kind of income atleast..

im doing this.... but i first finished highschool. user, atleast finish highschool

I'm in Uni.

seriously, making a career in music takes motivation, dedication, talent, and luck. do you think you have what it takes OP? I've been playing music for 8 years man, and I've let a lot of dumb assholes who lack motivation and drive hold me back from making something of myself. don't be one of those assholes

In my personal experience, I've taken the route of adopting music as a hobby. DIY as fuck, lo-fi - so little to no money involved. I'll be going to school soon for graphic design and advertising to get dat degree everyone loves so much, and make my money that way.

But your "success" really depends on a lot of factors so I'll try to list them. No particular order

Genre (find your niche or the audience you are looking for)
Tools, both digital and physical
Potential bandmates if that is something you envision
Distribution services
Social networking
Real world networking: Go to as many shows as you can in your 'scene'. Talk with bands and the fellow audience. Talk about your ideas. This is really important.

Again, go to shows. Even offer to do stuff for them for free.

Good work ethic. Write a lot of songs.
Location. If you're playing for bar goers who want to here Van Halen covers, that is Nowheresville. Find the right venues.
Once you have the band situation right, play as many shows as you can.
Promote the shit out of yourself AND bands like yours. They will help you if you help them.

Don't pay any attention to the faggot op, dude. This post says it all.

why do i feel like you are a teenager

go to tradeschool and become a welder, grind for a year or 2 and save your money then quit and dive into your music. Get a welding gig when you run low on money, rinse/repeat
>Profit?
Its a really lucrative skill to have and most guys who go at it seriosly can retire at 30

I'm a practicing vocalist myself (screaming/singing although I don't really do clean stuff like youd hear in a band like S&S or whatever). But dropping out may make it tough to find a job. And you'll need that money to pay for gear.

The fact that you are on Sup Forums talking about it instead of already having done it, tells us everything about you and subsequently, your zero chance of succeeding.

literally this. I also suggest trucking if you want money fast and want to experience living on the road.

Welding isnt a path to riches. There are many 15$ an hour welding jobs. I had one

dont do it user

at this point in time the barrier to entry for the music industry is almost non existant
means of production, promotion platform, monetization mechanisms everybody has access to that nowadays...hell you dont even need talent at this point any longer

finish school just so that you have a fall back option

Have you considered killing yourself? Because with your attitude that's what would benefit the world the most. All you faggy little dipshit teens think you're special and the smartest person out there. You're worthless, earn your fucking keep.

>with Wikipedia and YouTube there is no need for schools.
>feel that teachers are intellectually inferior gloriied babysitters and that I am better off not going to an institute full of intellectually inferior people.

You spelled glorified wrong

and theres also welding jobs aplenty that pay 25+ an hour, its all about talking to people (proving your not a numale faggot who hasnt worked a day in his life)and expanding your skills. Hell i saw 3 ads the other day on indeed that were paying $80+ an hour. They were even pffering an extra 20 to hire your own assistant

better than making nothing being a delusional Sup Forums fag and trading blowjobs for heroin

Music guy here.

I took a few years off in college (went back and finished in my late 20's). I played all the big rooms, did festivals with 5-10,000 people, the works. Electronic rock. I actually got to a point where I was making a living doing it, but it was a meager living. Nothing glamorous.

If this is your dream in life, then by all means, pursue it. I can happily say I've experienced things 99% of people will never experience. There is nothing else in the entire world like being in front of 10,000 people and knowing one slip up or fuck up could ruin you, but instead, you rise to the occasion and hit every note perfectly. It's probably the closest feeling to being a god you'll ever get.

With that said, music is a terrible money making business. You'd make more money even just being a beat maker or producer compared to a performer. Performers get the shit end of the stick money wise. A LOOOOOT of guys playing HUGE shows and festivals are taking home peanuts at the end of the night. There are legit "rock stars" earning like 30-40k a year. The money isn't in the performance or the music, or your talent; it's entirely in your "brand" which is essentially yourself and your image. You'll make more money doing private lessons and clinics to other nerdy musicians than you will playing gigs. A lot of touring musicians for high end pop stars, rap groups, etc are getting paid a salary. You might make 100k a year drumming for Katy Perry while she's taking home millions. But you might make another 100k doing lessons and clinics, etc.

The music life is all about the side hustle. You hustle until you "make it". You "make it" and then you keep side hustling to make a decent living. Unless you think you're gonna be the next Justin Bieber it's a long shot to make any sort of decent living out of music.

Be happy playing music, do it for the art, and never as a substitute for bettering yourself as a person (school, work, moving through the stages in life).

Worst thing you can do is fail. And you can do that over and over again until you succeed.

youtube.com/watch?v=Y9SWwd2s5rE&list=RDY9SWwd2s5rE&index=1

Do you like sucking dick? You sound like the kind of faggot who ends up dead in a gutter from overdosing on aids.

Making it is pretty fucking hard, even harder than going to school and finishing that degree, because in school at least you know there's a reward coming your way, in music, its all fun and games.

You will run into a lot of faggots that will drag you down and leech of you, and won't do jack shit to help you and will want you to do everything for them. Stay away from them.
I say you do it. Drop out, and set goals for yourself. like get a band together, write an album, play the local circuit, try to get more exposure, and see how you do. Life's a game that we play, but just know while you are out there jerking off in a bar in the middle of nowhere there are people that are making actual money and moving up in the world, it's not easy, but if you love it, you should try it.

Just be careful of the leeches and the fucking druggies, people will lie to you and tell you they're all about the music, but really they're all about the drugs. Don't get a habit, because your dreams will turn to ash, and don't hang out with drug addicts, they will turn you into them.

Stop being a faggot. That hs degree is worth something a GED will never be.

If you think you're good enough (protip: you're probably not) then whatever. But seeing as you know everything, you should know the market is saturated with talent.

Do both, there's no reason not to.

this, being in music is one thing, but being in a succesfull band is a pipe dream. it seems good when you do a show that pulls in $50k , but then remember that you have to pay for for literally everything that allowed you to put on a concert in this, then split whats ever left over 4-5 ways, you might as well be on a streetcorner playing pop songs for tips.

Bump

You better be cute and good at sucking dick

To add to this; and my original post Money in music is also hella inconsistent. Nothing pays what you would expect. I often had people coming up to me after a huge sold out show at some venue that held thousands of people - they'd be like "wow so you must be taking home like 10 grand tonight! for one hour! dang buddy!"

And I was like... heh... uhh... yeahhhhhhh. Sure. Cuz I was actually only taking home a couple hundred bucks.

After you pay the crew, the travel fees, lodging, gas, get dicked on by the promoter/venue who maybe lied to you, food, food for your crew, blah blah blah - you get nothing. Calculate it out. $200 for 200 shows per year (which is a lot) is 40 grand in your pocket. Good luck getting 200 shows a year that pay out $200 in your pocket.

And yeah, I've roughed it. Slept in a car, on the street, at peoples houses I didn't even know, and went through many times I didn't eat for 3-4 days at a time just so I could pay my crew. Never touched alcohol or drugs, no idea how anyone can afford that shit on the road.

OP do not do this trust me i did the same thing and i'm now living with my grandmother after tons of shitty problems including drugs and regret nothing more then just not finishing high school. i'm 29 and wish every day i could go back and fix my mistakes...

words of wisdom

The suicide is the answer :v

Just slip em a twenty

>meanwhile some bitch on youtube goes viral and gets offered a few million to screech into a mic with a song she likly didnt write.

This is unfortunately true. See what I said about your "brand" or "image". There is no coincidence that "catch me outside" girl got a record deal and some fame and fortune.

I'll just come right out and say it - it's the fact that she's young and has huge tits and a big mouth on her. America doesn't want to admit it, but sex sells, and it doesn't matter if the girl is 14. We've been doing the same thing with the Disney raised stars for years, it's just more publicly sugar coated.

Bad idea, don’t follow your dreams

if you despite the educational system, you should try to beat it. can't break the rules until you know how to play by them.