I'm a high school teacher. Ask me anything

I'm a high school teacher. Ask me anything.

Obv, I won't give identifying information, but I'll be frank otherwise.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephebophilia
youtube.com/watch?v=i-tZMK8IQZ8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bump 1.

How much do you hate your job?

There's a lot to complain about, but it's not the worst. I only really hate one class this year.

Hi Frank. Nice to meet you.

Do you think about your students when you masturbate?

otherwise is a peculiar last name xDDD

Not very much this year, but I have in the past. Teenage girls are hot.

Why aren’t you teaching college courses instead

Ya'll need Jesus.

That was my original plan, but then I learned I never wanted to go to grad school for math.

Honestly, given the state of higher ed, I have way more job security (and possibly better benefits) as a high school teacher right now than I would at the college level.

Let the kids have their fun

Interesting!

what do you teach faggot

Math and sometimes Physics.

how many kids have you booped with your beepis?

screw you and your unions

Do any of the teachers have like a public rivalry? Also are there any cults made to honor teachers? My school had one

Zero. Wayyy to risky.

pedo cunt

Screw the ones in union states. In my state (deep south), our union has pretty much no power.

have had relationships with your students

have you ever fucked your co-workers ?

Whats your opinion on your county and or school board?

Yeah, but most of the time it's really just put on between two teachers that are friends.

There are some uncomfortably popular teachers. Usually theater teachers or cool young dudes.

I'm close to some of them, but nothing romantic or sexual.

Have any teenage girl flirted with you or let you know she wanted the D?

Yeah, there's one that I hook up with from time to time.

Can you tell some stories of these “uncomfortably” popular guys

Mostly a disaster. Way too many administrators in the central office. Wastes tons of money paying their salaries to do who knows what.

Nice to meet you, Frank.
When was the last time you smoked the dank marijuanas?

I've been flirted with, but most of the time that's just the way the girl relates to men.

Once, in like my 3rd year teaching, a girl I had a pretty close relationship with came by to talk to me. I'd taught her previous years. She'd told me she was coming after school. When she came in, she closed the door behind her. I got right up and opened it.

She was mad cute and flirted a lot when I taught her, but like I said earlier, it's just not worth it.

If you could would you smash

Nothing too specific. The template is a young kind of handsome (but never actually THAT handsome) man who's new to teaching. Usually pretty nerdy. Has a slightly too familiar manner with the kids. Girls crush hard. Guys think he's the coolest. I've seen it happen a few times. (It wasn't ever me.)

I never have, though the kids don't believe it when I say so.

Definitely. I rubbed it out to thoughts of her regularly when I taught her.

Why not you? What kind of guy are you?

I'm in my mid thirties now, but even when I was younger the kids always kind of treated me like a big brother. I was well liked (and still am mostly), but never anything like the guys I'm talking about.

I think it's mostly that I don't have looks that appeal to teenage girls (which is likely a blessing).

Why are math teachers always shit at their job

Because math is fucking hard to teach, and nobody really knows how to do it. And the skills for being good at math and for being good at teaching are entirely unrelated.

I had a pretty good math teacher in the past though.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephebophilia

Educate yourself.

Because lost of kids automatically hate it. And don't treat it like a skill. And because lots of people barely get by, they're always behind when they start the next course.

Like, math is the easiest thing. It's just learning rules and following them. And the system does a pretty good job of slowly introducing them to you over your educational career.

But, nobody wants to practice. And getting decent at it takes practice (for non gifted individuals).

>learning rules and following them
>easy
You've never taught elementary, I see.
>It's just learning rules and following them
Are you trying to teach someone to understand math, or to replicate the function of a calculator?

I know a good deal about teaching fundamentals. most of the "common core" stuff that moms complain about on facebook has been best teaching practice for decades...it's just that rural communities are just getting around to using it.

Your second question is very apt. I'd love to provide students with a deep understanding of mathematics, but most of mine don't come to me with the background to make it happen. Even so, at its core, math is pretty profoundly simple. Understand the rules and follow them.

I was thinking about going into secondary education or academia. Im currently a soph in college majoring in poly sci. Too late to switch?

>most of the "common core" stuff that moms complain about on facebook has been best teaching practice for decades...
In theory. The standards are good, but there's fuck all worthwhile curriculum published for it.

>at its core, math is pretty profoundly simple.
So's Nirvana. But like religious concepts, math is a simplicity that requires a revelation to understand. Just drilling on the same shit doesn't actually encourage this kind of understanding to occur, it just provides rote strategies to avoid the consideration necessary to engender them.

Shouldn't be. Honestly, your best bet for secondary ed is likely to finish an undergrad in a content area and then get a Masters in Education. Undergrad degrees for education usually require a ridiculous number of observation hours. Masters degrees require way fewer.

I have a teaching degree. I rather work with fire ants than do that shit.

If I do go for education I would want to be a social studies teacher. Do you think sticking with poly sci is fine then or do I need to orientate towards more of a history level?

Yeah, good materials are hare to come by. I desperately need more coordinate geometry items, but they're just not out there.

The kids I teach have been conditioned to be mindless algorithm machines. Maybe if good practices are actually being used at lower grades, I'll see some improvement in the coming years.

My kids act like I'm the big bad wolf if I ask them to try to figure something out. They have this belief that math class should be the teacher showing you some examples and then you doing 20 or so examples just like that for homework. You do that for several days in a row, then you have a test where every question looks like one you've seen before. They have no comfort with or interest in problem solving, and that's an institutional problem.

I do my best to make it clear that I expect them to think. But they really don't like it.

How does that happen, short story? And was she hot?

It's probably fine, but it depends on your state. Your best bet would be contacting someone in your school's education department, since they'll know better about teaching requirements in your state than I do.

Appreciate it

We like each other and like sex?

Yeah, she's my age (mid 30s) and not as thin as she used to be (neither am I), but the sex is good.

Same. I like working with kids, but the school system is fucking toxic.

>Maybe if good practices are actually being used at lower grades
Maybe if the typical teacher of the lower grades wasn't terrible at math in the first place.

>I do my best to make it clear that I expect them to think.
It's way better if they don't realize that until they've already done it, honestly.

Agreed about lower teachers. I did a research project about how mathematics anxiety is likely transmitted from elementary school teachers who always hated math to their students.

Did you publish that?

I didn't. But there was a lot of material out there already about 15 years ago. I'm sure there's even more now.

>teacher bitching thread
youtube.com/watch?v=i-tZMK8IQZ8

>youtube.com/watch?v=i-tZMK8IQZ8

I'm always kind of surpised by how many fellow and former teachers appear when I post like this on Sup Forums.

bump?

why don't you guys talk up scientists for kids to look up to instead of violent race baiters. Example George Washington Carver instead of Malcolm X

>why don't you guys talk up scientists for kids to look up to instead of violent race baiters. Example George Washington Carver instead of Malcolm X

I don't talk up many folks in my classes.

I remember learning about GWC in elementary school though. I thought he was awesome.

How many students have you wanted to fuck

Hard to say for sure. Lots.

Have you taken creep photos of your students?

Do you put cameras in the girls' gym lockers, and if not, why not.

No. I've taken some pics of them during class before but nothing salacious. Usually just boring normal class day pics.

Too risky, see above. Also I don't have access.