I have a PhD in molecular biology with focus on stem cells...

I have a PhD in molecular biology with focus on stem cells. Ask me anything about the ten years of my pathetic life I wasted at uni.

bump fuckers

what did u do for your thesis

how did you waste your life? Is that field not hiring?

When did the disconnect between what we're capable of as a species and what we actually do crush your altruism

Transcriptomic profiling of stem cells in intestine (Lgr5).

Nope. Since my last postdoc contract ran out, I'm unemployed.

which university did you go to?

I always was a cynical kid. So very early in life.

Will not specify because it might allow me to be identified.

jesus man, that's rough. I'm torn is to whether or not college is a meme ie not worth it.

my deadline to apply to college is today, thinking about going back for comp. sci

bump

comp sci should be fine.

How do u cure cancer

Damn. I was too, but held that glimmer until some time in senior year of uni. I've considered writing some updated futurism scifi to anneal the quiet desperation.

Just graduated with my bachelor's in biotech. I have enough chem and hands on with PCR and shit to be employable at least. Considering going back for my master's to do something in directed evolution, but the market isn't really there yet.

transcriptomics is neat stuff though. I have a hardon for noncoding RNA

was it worth or not? honestly

It was fun. But not worth it.

If you do a masters, get out after that.

bump

what are you working as then?

Biological immortality and immunity when?

Ideally I'd like to end up as a project manager. Where corporate is like "here's your objective, here's your resources, here's your people, make it happen". Something where I'm still directly involved in the scientific process as more than a pipette drone.

What's the main roadblocks to stem cell tech right now OP? I was keen on designing crops to grow in famished areas of the world, or ones like golden rice that provided missing nutrients. Social stigma against GMOs just kills potential startups indirectly though, so there's no commercial sector to support it.

I'm back to my PC and can now life support the bread with images

never

>What's the main roadblocks to stem cell tech right now OP?

Depends on which aspect of stem cell tech. Many iPSC applications now go into the clinical phase and then you have to see whether they do have any clinical potential. When it comes to adult tissue stem cells, quite a few people try to screen for protocols to generate e.g. gut or skin SC in vitro using small molecules. Then, there are the people who try to manipulate SC in vivo to enhance e.g. wound regeneration. Other people try to commerzialize organoid tech as either non-animal alternatives for clinical trials and quality control or as further alternative for tissue replacement. In addition, there are the biomaterial people who hope that seeding shit on biomimetic scaffolds can create replacement tissues. All this stuff is however far removed from successful clinical application. Although the treatment of epidermolysis bullosa with gene manipulated keratinocytes that was recently published in Nature was pretty impressive

I'm unemployed.

As the other guy said. Never. Or at least not in he near or even far future.

living off savings or what? what jobs are you applying to that u can realistically get?

I'm getting unemployment benefits. And I'm applying for everything at the moment, from staff scientist, R&D positions to lab tech positions.

Why didn't you use that money buying alchemical texts and lab equipment to forge the stone? Fuck microbiology

Shit. I've should've done that.

Poorfag here. I'm desperate to read The Dwellings of the Philosphers. But it's so expensive.

bump

Why would you choose biology when you can pick physics... You can always transition to well paid corp jobs (since 99% is incapable of math)....

I chose biology because I'm incapable of maths as well.

Cmon bro, if you can do a PhD in stem cell research and publish some papers you can learn a decent amount of math quick enough to outclass a large number of fgts and get a decent job.