Should I be using Linux?

Should I be using Linux?
What are the genuine benefits of it and what do I lose by switching from Windows?

Unix operating systems are great for software development. They run pretty fast and are rather light weight in terms of hard drive space as well as processing requirements. Compared to Windows, they feel a lot less bloated. Not all games run so well on Linux, though, even with software like WINE to run them in a containes windows environment, so if gaming is your aim, consider what games have trouble.

Overall, i prefer linux.

I plan on getting into online business, like dropshipping and such.

Other than that, I mostlyjust browse the internet.

However, I do feel a bit nostalgic pull towards gaming.
Nothing hardcore, I used to play for several hours a day, so I don't want to go back to that.

Been using Linux since 1997 and I agree with this user. Development is just plain easier on Linux. Desktop Linux has come a LONG way in the past 10 years and I usually don't miss Windows. I've never been much of a gamer so I can't speak too much to that; that's what my Xbox is for.

Dual partition if virtualization doesnt cover your needs.

However, you dont seem too keen about the abilities you would unlock, so, tldr: quick shit - windows, long haul skills - linux

nigger

It's great for everything except for gaming.

Where do you learn to drop ship?

From every online resource you can get.

Idk, dude. I want to get into it and experiment. Theory and mental masturbation on it's own doesn't lead anywhere,

Just use the Ubuntu subsystem for Windows.

linux is work
when I'm home I don't want to work.

I like you

I assume it isn't work once you set it up properly and know how to use it.
I slightly kek'd.

Been googling and been finding nothing but scams. Can you point in the right direction?

Microsoft has shills here, too?! WTF!

I don't know the right direction.
Just get the real basics and do it legally.
Just start doing it and learn from your own mistakes.
I don't live in the US, or whatever, so I don't know the laws there.

I belive you should be fine in the beginning without even paying any taxes.
Technically, this is illegal, but no one gives a fuck about your small money.

I plan on starting an offshore company in Hong Kong when I earn my first 2-3k

What do you guys think about Windows 8.1 pro compared to 7 and 10?
It's the only one I have, so I'm using it.

Just jumping in here,Not sure if someones mentioned Distowatch but when you are trying to decide which one to mess with check out their site.

SysAdmin for a webhosting company here,

There is no reason to use Linux on the desktop other than to say you are and to try to look smart to non 'nix users with your geekdom.

Actually BE smart - stick with Windows.

Wow, Microsoft really does have shills here.
I suppose even the spyware is good, right?

They are right you know. Been using Linux on the desktop for 1 year until I threw it out the window(s) due to buggy office software holding my work hostage. Also, never experienced as many software problems on Windows as I did with Linux. Distro was Debian vanilla in case you‘re wondering (Ubuntu wasn‘t a thing yet)

>Been using Linux on the desktop for 1 year
>Ubuntu wasn't a thing yet

Been using implies that you have been using it for the last year. Not way the fuck back before Ubuntu even existed

Your opinion is invalid and you should kill yourself

That being said, if you're so fucking normie you're going to be using your computer for "drop shipping and browsing the internet" you really have no reason to use Linux in the first place

That's not me, you faggot.

This. I have Windows on my gaming desktop rig, but I have Linux on my three laptops. Linux makes me enjoy computing. Windows launches my video games. It's my "console UI" and nothing more.
I make commercials for a living, and I can do everything I need to with Blender, Ardour, and GIMP.

tell the normies its awful, theyve ruined enough

Linux WMs make browsing comfy if you know your shit

This is what I've been thinking.
I'll try dual booting.

sysadmin for a non-webhosting company here

use what you fucking like, I use desktop linux at home because I like the way things are done. I still run a corporate windows network and guess what? thats fine. they're both fucking fine.

>filename
>LOGo

Agree to an extent. Use what you like as long as it's not Mac. Mac OS is just Linux with a price tag. If you like their UI, which I kinda do, use Deepin. That's what I'm on right now. I was using Ubuntu Gnome, but I swtiched a while back. Deepin is a full experience - custom interface, custom defaul software, custom store, it's really impressive.
I'm probably getting spied on by Chine people and they've watched me masturbate, but that's my fault for not knowing more about Linux. I'm neither pretty enough nor pretty enough to have my naked weiner get shared online.

I've been using Linux since around 2003. Currently running Linux Mint. Everything's just the way I like it. I think Cinnamon is actually more slick, polished, and functional a desktop environment than Windows or OSX. I'm not really into gaming, so I don't even take advantage of what there is.

I am also drunk, but I really do use Deepin.\
Spell check is broke because I'm stuck on FF55. Some missing dependecny.
I should just use Chrome till I can update to 57.

Weird. I've been using Windows for, what, 20 years, and never caught a thing.

Exactly. It is fun setting it up, once. Then, fuck it, I like it when things just work.

deepin is debian based right? does it still use the same repos?

if you feel like taking a risk, enable the 'unstable' repo and pull the new version from there. slight chance of fucking your shit up (because unstable) but it's surprisingly reliable.

Sudo apt-get fucked. I’m running Linux Mint Cinnamon on my ginormous 17” Asus laptop.

Check out i3 when you do try

Why?

I couldn't live without my debian + xmonad.

Once you get used to all of the keyboard shortcuts it becomes very handy

Why not just start with regular dual boot?

You could fuck around with the WM once you are comfortable with default settings.
Optional though, it turns into one big project once you start to customize

I'll just install ubuntu and fuck with it.
Since I'm a noobie, ubuntu should be fine.