The Beatles canon

What's the best Beatles album?

There are no decent Beatles albums, so a better question would be what's their worst.

Of course none of them are decent, they're all perfect.

Live Peace in Toronto 1969.

I do have an argument for that if you want to hear it.

I'm listening.

i'm a magical mystery man myself

>they're all perfect
Until you listen to any other artist.

We got Revolver>Abbey Road>White Album>Pepper>Magical Mystery Tour>Rubber Soul>Help>A Hard Days Night>Beatles For Sale>With The Beatles>Please Please Me

MMT is such a crock. Really takes away what made the e.p. special when capitol padded out the track list with whatever singles they released that year.

TFW no Let It Be or Yellow Submarine (and Please Please Me in dead last.. why?)

Revolver>Pepper>Please Please Me>Rubber Soul>Abbey Road>White Album>Magical Mystery Tour>Beatles For Sale>With The Beatles>Let It Be>Help!>A Hard Day's Night>Yellow Submarine

Revolver, Sgt Peppers, MMT, The White Album and Abbey Road all have a case for being the best pop albums of all time.

I can't pick one

Real Love is one of their best songs and if you think otherwise you're a dumb cunt

It's very hard; for one it's hard not to be overrated when you're he beatles. That being said, they had some extremely quality art. For me it has to be Sgt. Peppers or The White Album; absolutely revolutionary and ahead of their time albums. Runners up? hmm...probably like Revolver or Rubber Soul

This is a terrible opinion, if you count MMT as an album you should count Hey Jude as an album too

Personal favourite: Abbey Road

Best though must be Sgt.Pepper's

I'd say Revolver, just alot of new techniques and experimentation. You can really see the personal musical styles of Paul, John and George evolve on this album. Besides that, I think they really sound energetic and joyful on this album. whereas Pepper can sound a little bored/forced some of the time. Anyone feel the same?

I feel the same way about Revolver, but I can't hear the boredom/forced-ness on Pepper. Is there a specific part(s) of the album that feels that way to you?

Well the first two songs really have the Sergeant Peppery-vibe. You know the intro to the Title track and the whole deal of With a Little Help. But after that, and especially after Lucy in the Sky, the songs feel kinda, well, dull. In Fixing a Hole and Getting Better I really miss the experimentation of Revolver and Lucy, and the sheer enthousiasm, show-feel of Sgt Pepper's and With a Little Help. And on the second side they come back to that with the Sgt Pepper Reprise and A Day in the Life. That's where the experimentation comes back again. Same with Lovely Rita and Within You Without You. But the songs When I'm 64 and Good Morning feel kinda boring again compared to the rest. If only they'd switched one of those songs with Penny Lane it would have been a much better album

But maybe I just listened to Sgt Pepper too many times and now I'm just kinda bored of it.

I respect that. I have to say, though, that Revolver also had its share of non-experimental songs. Good Day Sunshine and Here, There, and Everywhere don't really bring anything experimental to the table (although those are two of my favorites on the album). Likewise, songs like Getting Better fill that role on Pepper. I can't argue with you feeling songs are boring, but Good Morning is one of my favorites. Not to be one of those guys, but the mono mix to me really accentuates how absurd the guitar solo is. ..And I just kind of find the album to be about 10x better in mono anyway. Packs more of a punch, makes it a little more energetic. But I digress.

I too don't listen to Pepper much these days, as I had it on like non-stop about five years ago. It's nice to come back to every once in a great while.

That's true, it's definitely a great album. I probably got kinda sick of it.

The whole idea behind the Anthology singles was shameful and basically graverobbing. They literally just dubbed over unfinished Lennon demos and it shows in the quality of the songs. Maybe if Lennon hadn't been killed there could have been a decent Beatles reunion, but not like this.

Free as a Bird sucks but Real Love is decent just because Lennon's vocal performance is really good.

Abbey Road is probably the closest the Beatles ever came to a perfect album. Revolver is my personal favorite but it has some infamous filler tracks.

I unironically believe the second one from the bottom

the toughest redpill to swallow is realizing that ringo was the best beatle, and that george's solo album electronic sound was the best thing to come out of the beatles in general

THE

WHITE

STRIPES

ARE

Abbey Road or Revolver. Anybody who thinks otherwise is a degenerate and a subversive

Come on, Electronic Sound is overrated. Unfinished Music No. 2: Life with the Lions is the obvious Zapple masterpiece.

Sorry about the delay, I fell asleep. Well, John wanted to do real avant-garde stuff in the Beatles, and Paul vetoing it was the start of the end, whereas Paul wanted to go towards roots rock and simplicity. They jammed a lot of old rock and roll numbers during the Get Back sessions. Live Peace in Toronto 1969 does both, and returns to live performing. The performance it records took place at an old time rock and roll festival - John doing a mixture of new songs by him, covers and then Yoko-led free improvisation was saying that this was all one music, that the new and the old were different aspects of the same spirit. This is part of what he was trying to convey during the last years of the Beatles - What's the New Mary Jane is far simpler in its production than the psychdelic productions he'd done and then mostly scorned later, because he'd noticed that free improvisation and modern art music introduced its atonalities and startling changes directly at the source, not layering them on as garnish to basically tonal pop melodies, as the psychedelic period of his work had done. Paul wanting to "get back" to stuff you could play live with small core of instrumental forces, and John wanting to play free improvisation in the moment with the instrumentation of a rock group, really wanted the same thing. And if Paul had been able to see that, it would have saved the Beatles.

The moving thing is, the old timers and nostalgists understood it. But Live Peace at Toronto 1969 is only a qualified success, because it should have been the Beatles performing it, with Yoko. Still, it couldn't have sounded any better. Much as I dislike Clapton's ouevre in general, his playing on this is absolutely perfect. He gets the right tone, he keeps it grungy and punky, and he doesn't showboat. The mixing favours John's rhythm guitar as much as Clapton's lead, which has been criticized, foolishly - of COURSE with music like this you even the guitars up.

I'm bumping the thread because I think I did a good job on this post.

Agreed. I'll have to give Live Peace another listen soon!

*ahem*

That makes us 2 user

>infamous filler tracks
name one

>Wings
'tis shite mate

>DAE THINK BEETLES ARE BAD????? I'M SO FUCKING PATRICIAN GUYZE GIVE ME ATTENBTION
fuck off

If Beatles was condensed down to one album it would be their best, it has to be Abbey Road instead.

Magical Mystery Tour is the greatest album for psychedelics by them

not him, but yikes

pic related is the best beatles output

followed by white album