The superbug that could render antibiotics useless just hit the US

>For the first time, researchers have found a person in the United States carrying a bacteria resistant to antibiotics of last resort, an alarming development that the top US public health official says could mean "the end of the road" for antibiotics.
>The antibiotic-resistant strain was found last month in the urine of a 49-year-old woman in the US state of Pennsylvania. Department of Defence researchers determined that carried a strain of E. coli resistant to the antibiotic colistin, according to a study published on Thursday. The authors wrote that the discovery "heralds the emergence of a truly pan-drug resistant bacteria."
>Colistin is the antibiotic of last resort for particularly dangerous types of superbugs, including a family of bacteria known as CRE, which health officials have dubbed "nightmare bacteria." In some instances, these superbugs kill up to 50 per cent of patients who become infected. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has called CRE among the country's most urgent public health threat.

>"It basically shows us that the end of the road isn't very far away for antibiotics -- that we may be in a situation where we have patients in our intensive-care units, or patients getting urinary tract infections for which we do not have antibiotics," CDC Director Tom Frieden in an interview Thursday.

baka.com.au/world/the-superbug-that-could-render-antibiotics-useless-just-hit-the-us-20160526-gp4yl3.html

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ9bP6wo8rA
bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-03-29/antibiotic-apocalypse-fear-stoked-by-india-s-drugged-chickens
phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2015/02/01/our-inner-viruses-forty-million-years-in-the-making/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's alright. They'll just make more antibiotics for it.

How the hell did she end up with that bacteria? It must have mutated over a long period of time right? What kind of filth is she?

>Swedish 'education'

It's nice they taught you english, or how to use translator on google, but fuck off back to the third world

Read the article, the chinese have been incorrectly using antibiotics on their pigs.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ9bP6wo8rA

Fucking chinks

Now thats what I call total population death
Now that what i call having no race war becayse the superbugs just killed all of us

thats what I call a modern day black plague

it was going to happen anyway, eventually, it is just a matter of time, it is called evolution

not really

humans/animals immune systems couldve evolved at the rate slower than the bacteria/virus was evolving

but because they decided to go full blown capitalist they didnt care about the consequences and now the sick and elderly are gonna get fucked

>give penicillin to everyone with sniffles
>give amoxicillin to every tummy ache
>give rocephin to every pneumonia pt
>give methicillin to every staph infection
>give a cocktail of all of the above to every chicken, cow, and pig for decades for no fucking reason
>most pts are too retarded to take the full prescription, even when told repeatedly by doctors, nurses, and public health to keep taking it even when they feel better
>
>surprised when antibiotics are completely useless after only fifty years

>mfw syphilis becomes immune to antibiotics

so many fucking people are going to die

Nature is solving Overpopulation for us. Only the strong will survive.

Goddamn immigrants.

This

These retards cannot into medicine and just think Antibiotics would work on almost everything, it won't...

It really should only be used for bacterial infection, not common illnesses.

The thing is we dont have stronger antibiotics famalam.

The chinks been dumping anti-biotics like pez into their livestock and now we are all going to die.

Good thing it gets to -30 up here. The only downside to the southern states is you get all those foreign diseases like West nile, Zika, and Niggers.

God fucking damn I can't wait to see the world population get thinned by half, hopefully more. Even if I go with it.

Fuck me, that video is awful. I don't need clips from the simpsons or a reference to the matrix to understand what bacteria are fuck.

>PA
Whelp, that's it for me. See you all in hell. I hope Satan has dippy eggs.

I think he had an American audience in mind

>All of the squalid, overcrowded shitskin and chink countries are going to be wiped out.

Thank you, Mr. Final Solution Superbug.

Phage therapy.

Essentially, you use bacteriophages (viruses that only attack bacteria), to cure the patient. What you have to do is get an idea of what kind of bacterium you are dealing with by taking a culture (an already commonly performed procedure). Then, you administer high doses of actual live bacteriophages to the patient that are specific to that type of bacteria (virus only infects and destroys the target bacteria, not all bacteria). The virus then goes to work destroying the infection, like a little army of terminators.

These treatments are just as capable of producing complete eradication of infections as antibiotics. In fact, phage therapy can be combined with antibiotics for an even bigger punch. This is because the receptors and systems which the antibiotic-resistant bacteria use to evade the antibiotic are also what the bacteria has to use to defend itself against phage viruses.... and here is the fun part.....

The bacteria cannot use its defense systems to fight both the antibiotic and the virus at the same time. It is one or the other. So, by combining the two, the bacteria is given a choice as to how it wants to die. It cannot resist both types of attack.

I assume she's being quarantined. Right?

>The antibiotic-resistant strain was found last month in the urine of a 49-year-old woman in the US state of Pennsylvania.
why didnt they just kill her

Considering they let ebola infected people literally run rampant what do you think?

Who cares.

Well, antibiotics is already used in massive amounts elsewhere.... Im not sure what the difference is other than in how fast it will allow these super resistant bact to flourish.

>1.4m ppl die every year to diarrhea

wtf how lel

Dehydration.

Though I doubt a single death from diarrhea is from 1st world country since anyone who gets dehydrated from diarrhea just ends up drinking something.

This is how Western civilisation will collapse.

thats the difference... we'd evolve alongside the bacteria at a natural pace (although this doesn't guarantee a bacteria won't evolve that'll destroy us)

and it means the bacteria doesn't evolve as fast

Because a UTI isn't the fucking black plague.

She recovered anyway.

This. It's going to be the next-generation of dealing with bacteriological infections, but unlike antibiotics you can't just shotgun in a bunch of them and expect results, it's disease-specific. Combination therapy however is really, really fucking effective- more so than antibiotics alone especially vs. resistant strains.

It'll still likely be very good at killing off third-world countries in droves if antibiotic-resistant strains become dominant there. Which is good.

underrated post

Apparently the Russians have been doing this for a long time.

the thing is in nature these 'superbug' cant grow because the not resistant ones eat all the food

by repeatedly using antibiotics you basicly give them a chance to grow so this was inevitable

Diarrhea can be insanely dangerous in 3rd world countries. Having no access to clean water can really fuck you up.

I can see how it would be more likely for such bacteria, yes, but I'd still guess (without any particular reason) that they'd still start flourishing in the west eventually without the help of the chinese.

>if antibiotic-resistant strains become dominant there

The antibiotic stewardship in some other countries is appalling. You can literally walk into a store and get anything you want without a Rx. If they don't get their shit together then they'll have plenty of resistant strains to deal with.

India is going to survive this perfectly fine, seeing how people are able to bathe in the Ganges River.

See

The chinks made these bacteria evolve about 100x faster than they would have on their own through their reckless subhuman business practices. I just hope the end up suffering the most from it.

Good luck superbug!

And you know who is to blame?
Bacon and burges.

I sometimes wonder if Indians' that live in slums have ultra powerful immune systems given that they expose themselves to all sorts of nastiness everyday.

Now that's what I call not knowing how to Carlos

DELETE THIS

Dude they drink and bathe in the ganghe river

That river is mostly diarrhea and then some rainwater

i couldtn care less, western medince is a fraud and i never ever use it anyway

Good, let's spread this shit through ghettos.

>The chinks been dumping anti-biotics like pez into their livestock and now we are all going to die
>The chinks
I think you mean the Americans.

Blame the fucking street shitters who keep feeding their chickens antibiotics:

bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-03-29/antibiotic-apocalypse-fear-stoked-by-india-s-drugged-chickens

If any antibiotics are developed, only sell them to Western nations.

Guys we aren't ALL GOING TO DIE

It will mostly be 3rd world cucks that live in dirty disgusting conditions. In the first world it won't be nearly as bad. As long as you keep clean you'll be fine

Just be grateful that it isn't a virus

at least I'm safe

This just means hundreds of millions of shitskins will die and maybe few million westerners.

In Sweden you can, because of conflicting laws, order any prescription medication (non-narcotic, non-AAS (etc?)) from within the EU (or schengen) without a script. The customs will just forwards the package to you (in case they do open it).

Solve everything. Kill her.

That'd be pretty dumb, pham

To add on to this:

OP:
>Colistin is the antibiotic of last resort for particularly dangerous types of superbugs

The article:
>The Bal Reddys’ farm is an example of what that laxity allows. The logbook, labeled “farmer’s flock record,” shows they were instructed to begin a series of antibiotic regimens on Oct. 25, the day after the couple took delivery of the newly hatched chicks. A solution combining enrofloxacin, ciprofloxacin and colistin was started on Nov. 19 and continued for six days. The bottle’s label says it’s an “animal feed supplement” that should be mixed in drinking water for the “prevention of respiratory infections.”

>A solution combining enrofloxacin, ciprofloxacin and colistin

This lol. The Bible is all you need.

I remember reading about this years ago during a virology course I took years ago in uni. I think it was first tested in russia successfully. But people act like antibiotic resisntant bacteria is the end of humanity. This goes to show that there are other options out there. It's a matter of research allocation. Phage therapy does have the inherent risk of the virus adapting and 'changing targets', so to speak, but there are ways around that. It's been too long for me to remember details.

...so are you saying Vegans could have saved us from the superbug apocalypse??

>Eat delicious meat and watch the world burn
>Continue to live in SJW land...

My dad works for Nintendo.

Sure, but then you'd have to be vegan.

I see this multiple times a week. This old dentist gives out multiple prescriptions a week for stupid things like tooth ache or for things that don't need an antibiotic but just a filling or proper cleaning. They keep telling him not to give this much antibiotics but he just won't listen. Probably since that's how it was done 40 years ago

Further proof why it is haram to eat pigs. They always fuck things up.

t. based shia

Nah, Indians are shitting up the antibiotics resistance with their reckless behavior either way.

Amazing how hard it is for people to boil some water and filter it through sand and charcoal.

Part of why the whole Indian meme of "designated shitting streets" came to be IRL- water quality that bad leads to frequent bowel-wringing shitfests, even in places where people are used to exposure to those bacterial infections. Poor sanitation doesn't just have to mean cholera, after all. E coli or listeria will do someone in just fine.

>africans
>basic knowledge

wot m8 ?

this stuff allways remind me the game plague inc

I have a plan for this and it's working for me so far, I haven't been sick in five years.

Be me, work out lift and do yoga, don't take any kind of antibiotics or goto the doctor for any reason. If something happens I treat myself, my father was a navy medical coreman and trained me first aid for trauma.

No insurance or Obama care, don't fuck with that shit or file taxes.

Grow a huge beard and don't ever get infections, take tons of probiotics that I ferment myself.

Never get sick, age slowly.

Something serious happens to me, make my-way home and treat myself. If it's really serious or I wake up in a hospital refuse treatment. If a doctor ever tells me I have cancer, I am literally going to walk out of the hospital and go to the nearest desert and live in a cave.

Basically fuck this consumer medical system.

>But people act like antibiotic resisntant bacteria is the end of humanity.
This. We've lived without antibiotics for a very very long time and we lived in squalor then too, yet we survived.

When a supervirus comes about though, we are absolutely fucked and the only way to stop it will be to evolve an immunity to it.

anti-biotic resistant bacterial and man-made superviruses spook the fuck out of me

people are scared of floods and earthquakes and world market crashes, but i'm 99% sure if shit hits the fan, it'll be because of a superdisease

someone tell me my anxieties are unfounded pls

Environmental contamination, basically.

If everything around you is dirty enough, you're getting it on/in food products as well. That's how we've had multiple cases of stuff like salads causing outbreaks in the US from vegetables that ended up getting contaminated, or meat prepping plants that resulted in the same things with animal products.

Seems well founded to me user

wew lad

>When a supervirus comes about though, we are absolutely fucked and the only way to stop it will be to evolve an immunity to it.

Why? Citations?

memes aside, all you need is a healthy diet and be sporty, i wasnt sick in over 12 years maximal having a cold for 1-2 days.

while when i was a kid and took medicine ,antibiotics for everyshit, i was sick every month for weeks.

Sorry user. At some point down the line we're fucked.

Humanity managed to get through the bubonic plague and spanish flu. Just hope that you aren't one of the millions that get knocked off.

bacteria isn't that dangerous

a supervirus will be what will ultimately wipe us out, if not nuclear holocaust

Pretty dumb not too

Well assuming a supervirus is impervious to say a vaccine, what can we do against it?

You can't cure a virus. All that needs to happen is a strain of the flu that is a little more aggressive and has a higher death rate and we're fucked.

FUGG

Time to move to Lappland

>impervious to a vaccine

How does that even happen?

There are plenty of viruses that are impervious to a vaccine

Such as AIDS

>be fit
>never really get that sick in the first place cause your body can just fight it off

Who gives a fuck? People who can really get fucked up by diseases are unhealthy, weak, kids or women. It's just fucking natural selection.

Last time we did things to prevent natural selection in human society, now we've got a gorillion gibsmedats.

>tfw always kept myself healthy and only used antibiotics when I got wisdom teeth removed but probably going to die anyways from the superbugs because of the retards

Mostly in India...mostly.

In other news, Madagascar sealed off its border today.

finally
>mfw some people in america take antibiotics when they have a cold

animooted

>mfw going to be a nurse before transitioning to a PA
>will be on the front lines of any hypothetical disease disaster.
If i die i hope you all do too

Shia are based. Assalamalakum to you.

It will happen, like throughout history. Even the viruses that killed our ancestors is encoded in our DNA. 10 percent of our DNA are the dead genetic codes of viruses that used to ravage the human population early in our history. 10,000 or so genes. So weve been in some knid of Genetics arms race with viruses for most of oir history and in the last 100 years, we were winning, by medicine and antibiotics, which allowed our population to quadruple.
phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2015/02/01/our-inner-viruses-forty-million-years-in-the-making/

>American "hygiene"

yeah but what about genetic engineering? once we get machines that can create custom designed RNA/DNA , what's to stop some mad scientist from creating a strain of a super deadly virus that kills people in a short time and is super contagious?

except antibiotics dont fight viruses buddy

Synthetic antibiotics have all been unsuccessful

Oh shit nanomachines.

With nanomachines, we will destroy bacteria

This is the future

>nanomachines
good job now you just killed all life on earth with gray goo