Who do you think will be remembered as the Socrates, the Plato, the Voltaire, of our time?

Who do you think will be remembered as the Socrates, the Plato, the Voltaire, of our time?

nobody because there's no interest in that sort of thing in today's world.

Nikki Minaj, Riff Raff and Kim K.

me

me, of course. damn, did you even need to ask?

Ian Matthias Bavitz

Jordan Peterson, his lectures are timeless and invaluable.

this

Probably someone like Trump, Farage, or people alike.

I know, it sounds ridiculous, but hear me out:
People like Sokrates, Sartre, Voltaire, Nietzsche, Da Vinci, and alike, were hated, despised and paragons of their time.
They became people of history because they didn't give a shit. They kept going and going, stood who they are, and brought their torch out through the storm of disapproval, lighting the fire bowl of civilization to bring a new light.
They were considered maniacs and fools.
But that didn't stop them.
They just kept going, opening their hearts and minds to the world, without expecting anything to happen from it.

This is the fire that lights the future.
The fire to keep going, to spread the ideals and thoughts that you have, without any goal, agenda, or intention.
There was no masterplan, no guide, no strategy, not even the intention to enlighten anyone.
It wad the simple desire to express the truth that rests in your heart, and dealing with the hatred that you get.

You wish.
They're the Shakespeare and Van Gogh of our time. Pretty neat, and a movement to our culture, but to be honest, pretty puffed up for the sake of pretending that entertainment has any value.
It never did. It has potential, and inspiration to the actual great people, but not value.

Maybe you anons now see what is meant with "history repeats itself".
There's always a certain type of people and personalities that you can summarize and categorize. They just change their shades according to tastes and state of our civilization.

This boy

fuck off, its obviousy going to be me!
gonna screencap this shit just so the people 20-30 years from now know that i already knew back that i would become everyones supreme overlord

Holy shit I got like five minutes into his ted talk and you people are actually fucking braindead
>entertainment has no value
>entertainment inspires great people
pick one

If you don't know, now you know.

Well Jordan won't be HAHAHAHA. He is just a mediocre Psychologist. He says some really biologically incorrect things. Real scientists don't take him seriously.

Hitchens is 40 times the intellect Peterson has.

Also Hitches is an out and out marxist.

Sadly its probably going to be some youtube fuck like the amazing atheist or some other retard.

Hitchens was brilliant.

Still think no one compares to William F. Buckley in terms of raw intellect.

Very few intellectuals today have any panache. Which is a shame, because that is what made guys like Buckley and Hitchens so interesting to watch. While you may disagree with some of the things they're saying, they say them nonetheless in a compelling manner.

Elon Musk, obvs

no one , fucking 2000+ years passed and no one new appears

Lil Peep, peace be upon him

Hitchens renounced Marxism a very long time ago. He spent the later half of his life as a neo-con.

Let me guess, the same scientists who claim that climate change is heavily influenced by human activity and who say gender is on a spectrum? The days of being able to say "SCIENCE SAYS SO" and not needing to provide any other argument are over, the scientific community has destroyed any goodwill that freethinkers had to them.
They wanted people to abandon faith and pick up skepticism, they got it, but they didn't expect it to be used on them.

You mean they were attention whoring hacks who masqueraded their sophistry with wit.

There are several: Sir Roger Penrose, Carl Jung, Noam Chomsky, and Karl Popper come to mind. I think Neil Postman and Marshall McLuhan will also be remembered as visionaries at the dawn of the new Dark Ages as new media heralded the post-literate era and the fall of Man.

Of course, considering Sup Forums is largely populated by mouth-breathing middle school subnormals, I don't expect any of you to recognize the contributions any of these people have made in their respective fields.

Mootkins

>Noam Chomsky
too obvious, user.

Obvious as what?

Ho laudy lod we gotza ourselvez sum real intchalectual here boyz.

And absolutely no one cares about Postman and McLuhan.

These people were elitist academics that wrote volumes of stuff and were known only within their respective academic circles. The common people of their time had no clue who these people were. So unless you are an academic elitist or know of any academic elitists, then you are a common person of these times and your guess is likely FUCKING WRONG

Also, Noam Chomsky

>no one cares about Postman and McLuhan
The irony is that both Postman and McLuhan predicted the rise of the very anti-intellectual you're demonstrating. Your Dunning-Kruger confidence in your ignorance is the single most pervading cultural influence of our time, and may yet kill all human life on the planet. I think the two people who predicted it most accurately will be recognized for it in centuries to come -- assuming your kind don't doom us all.

What we have in the modern age is a supersaturation of conflicting ideas. A natural consequence of the information age. I suspect that the next great "thinker" will be a collectivized artificial intelligence that can parse the incalculable quantity of data to contextualize it into the must succinct solution possible.

It is more likely that humanity will destroy itself before this can occur.

Your mom, for her valuable contribution to all the 12-year-old gamers.

Yes absolutely the end of the world is just around the corner, just like the end of history et al.

And quit name-dropping makes you look like a tool.

Source? I'm a staunch conservative but that doesn't sound right. I know he was very pro-Iraq war, but that was a result of his personal interest in totalitarianism.

I agree with you OP, Peterson will be remembered as a savior of Western Civilization.

Probably me when I decide to reveal my powerlevel

It definitely won't be Jordan Peterson. The man is a braindead, strawman spewing little bitch whose only claim to fame is taking down groups of people who barely exist and are barely relevant.
Not to mention, his whole "communism btfo, sunshine" speech is beyond retarded. This guy doesn't understand anything outside of his little college libertarian bullshit bubble.

I don't know which philosophers will be remembered as fondly as the greats of ancient times, but if it's Slavoj Žižek, I'm going to come back to life just so I can kill myself and die again.

You son of a bitch...
This is the best thing I've read here in years. I love you.
Have some OC of my gf.

You just made my day, nigger.

You're an imbecile, though your obvious anti-intellectualism is par for the course. Your lack of education and conditioning to be suspicious of anything you don't understand makes you hostile to any kind of real understanding. And again, it's testament to the genius of McLuhan and Postman that they predicted your existence.

Probably Ted Honderich, or Bernard Williams. You may also, perhaps want to think about Saul Kripke or Jean Paul Sartre but those two were a few decades ago. So yeah, Bernard Williams, Ted Honderich, and possibly even Arnold Zuboff

sam harris

Bertrand Russell

Forgot to add that Robert Nozick is also deemed to be a visionary and genius of our times

If you count the 20th century and the 21st century then nobody changed philosophy as much as Wittgenstein did. So Wittgenstein is up there with the greatest, in fact he is said to rank equal in stature to Einstein for his contribution to the body of human knowledge. His work was mainly in logic applied to language. You can add to the list A.J.Ayer too, who is also revered for his intellect and logic

Tyler Durden.
/thread

Chris-chan.

Mawk

Patrice O'neal, bitches

>Ian Matthias Bavitz
interesting.. . that guy is on the far right in this chart.

Jordan Peterson uses strawman arguments all the time, he also tries to make his ideological beliefs seem like they are scientifically verifed and all other theories, systems and beliefs are wrong because of that.

He's just polite, well spoken spoke person for conservatives, an not some yeehaw shot gun toting redneck. Unfortunately lot of people fall for his alluring and deceiving ideological platform. Well, as in everything - lots of people are retards.

He's SOOO far to the right on that chart that he would technically be OFF the chart.

The glorious shit of Andy Sixx.

damn straight

Fuck ya. Bitches be trippin.

No he's a hack doing nothing but telling a bunch of grump white dudes exactly what they want to hear.

>he only teaches white students

Chuck Palahniuk for our generation or like turn of the century. Kurt Vonnegut if you go for the last century in general

I doubt you've even ever watched or properly understood one of his lectures, otherwise you wouldn't be saying that.

Holy fuck this takes Sup Forums mental masturbation to new heights, if anyone is gonna get recognized it probably would be a film maker, philanthropist, or businessman type. By the way think Elon Musk not Trump when I say businessman.

>Hitch
>neo-con

Choose one, nigger. Hitch was left in most of his positions, but believed the invasion of Iraq was justified due to Iraq's aggression and Saddam's despotic torture of Iraqi civilians.

I agree with Trump that illegal immigration should be fought, but I'm not a Trump supporter. See how that works?

No but that's because I didn't waste my time with philosophy

Biochemistry master race reporting in

"there are endless genders"

"In terms of biological fact,there are two biological genders, male and female, with the rare exception of hermaphrodites"

STRAWMAN!

I can tell you've never listened within two sentences.
When you're trying to discredit someone, don't do it with obviously false statements.

Not inferring he only teaches white students I'm just saying that his audience is basically disgruntled men. He makes some good points but nothing that would sway anyone's opinions.

>biological
>gender
literally pick one.

I guess that's why all his lectures sell out and he has millions of people all over the world listening. Just because YOU aren't swayed doesn't mean that nobody is. Try stepping out of the small room of your own being and look at the world around you.

linguist here. allow me to explain.

biological sex is your chromosomes and your genitalia.

gender is your social role derived from your sex but is also not based on your sex because the word is stupid and doesn't really mean anything.

>you
>having basic high school knowledge

I actually listened to over 10 hours of his lectures and was able to see past his facade, something which you are obviously incapable of.

>the word is stupid and doesn't really mean anything.
Then why have we been using the words and been making differentiation between man and woman for basically the whole existence of the modern human?
If there is absolutely no point to it, why did our ancestors bother at all?

You're not seeing past any facade, you're incapable of seeing past your own prejudgments and are literally changing the world around you to make it fit to your own vision of the world. Because what you're saying he said is just not true at all.

You're right I'm not swayed, I already have a lot of the same opinions. He speaks for some of us but that's it. He isn't changing any minds or anything and his delivery is shitty. You know who else sells out massive shows all over the world ? Justin Bieber. Yes Justin Bieber so does that mean he's a revolutionary voice ?
Peterson panders to an audience that is already there and specifically says things just to make them happy and feel better about themselves by reinforcing the opinions they already have, sort of like Milo Papadoeodksle.
It's actually glaringly obvious if you step back and watch what he is doing.

The Donald, obviously.

No, you are actually describing yourself. I'm sorry you don't have capacity to really understand what Jordan Peterson is doing and what is his broader agenda (and it's really dangerous).

It depends on your definition of a word that is useful and one that is useless. Words that lead to circular logic, such as gender (not to be confused with sex) or God and other such gobbledygook constitute 7.2% of the English language. If we accept that every word is valid so long as someone somewhere used it, such as our ancestors in your cited example, then all words are valid with no exception. Which is of course a completely ridiculous opinion to hold.

Goku