ITT: post albums & anons tell you why the album sucks

Why does it suck?

bc it was made by a white dude

This album was made by white dudes. Why does it also suck user?

The choice of singles on this album is both impeccable and blindingly obvious, since only four songs stand out at all - "Basket Case" for its tightly-coiled energy and great melody, "When I Come Around" for slowing the tempo down, "Longview" for its meatheaded juvinility, and "Pulling Teeth". The latter wasn't chosen as a single because it sounds like they were overextending themselves and didn't really know what they were doing, but the stab at Costello-esque classic pop moves point the way forward to their career-best work on Warning, so that's something. The rest is just a chore to listen to - one pace, one mood, one idea, one melody, and no inspiration whatsoever. For a record that's meant to be fun, it's remarkable just how boring and dreary it is once you cut through the posturing.

Just about everybody agrees that Green Day aren't even half the band they used to be, but I'm not even sure that Dookie is better than American Idiot. This probably ranks slightly higher simply because it's not as cynical and not as eager to hop on other people's trends, but song-for-song, it's likely the worse of the two. As it happens, for all the shit that people (me included) give all the bands that were inspired by this, I'm not even sure that it's better than records like Does This Look Infected? and The Young & the Hopeless.

Maybe you had to be there at the time, I guess. I can't imagine I'd have liked it if I'd been old enough to buy it in 1994, but I might at least understand why other people do.

Irritating.

this one does actually suck though

I'm pretty sure this album speaks for itself as to why it sucks

Solid rapping and beats aside, Aquemini is bogged down by its off-putting length and inconsistency arising from rampant experimentation. The production is often too clean, laid-back and radio-oriented--when I'm incessantly bombarded by the duo's repetitive, poppy hooks and the insanely irritating "Mamacita", I can't help but long for some rugged, hardcore hip hop that gets the job done in half the time and without the fluff.

Naw, that's pretty fucking amazing actually

t. nu-male

punk was a thing, it didn't include pop music sung by manlets with fake british accents lol

>Costello-esque
kek

nope, I'm an old man.
is like Godspeed a numale thing? I thought they'd be more into convincing themselves Joanna Newsome and Grizzly Bear were talents.

Tied for my favorite album

Post your other favorite album and I'll tell you why it sucks user.

It doesn't

it doesn't suck

I fucked up like an idiot. I was gonna post revolver and the next would have been Pet Sounds.

bbbbbbbbbait

it doesn't suck, it's a great album, just overrated as fuck.

Layla sucks, except for the piano part. Everything else is GOAT

>I'm an old man.
do you remember Connie Island?

Hideous artwork, If this album had some minimal hipster type of artwork I'm sure it would be more praised.

run the jewels arent white wtf

best reply

How is this overrated. It deserves all the praise it gets. This album was way ahead of its time. after 20 years of niggers having that shit boom bap production, whitey comes along and shows em how its really done :^))))

sucks because the entire album isn't just the horns from spottieottiedopaliscious

Because Hip Hop sucks in '96

The music isn't the reason why though - "it's da monee"

Hmmm. This could be a case of the emperor's new clothes. For me, the bands canyon-sized desparation to compose 'unconventional' arrangements has left the songs bankrupt in terms of any real depth in songcraft or musicianship. Incredible how it has achieved such high praise and a no. 1 spot for 1998. For me there is nothing here but the pretence at achieving a 'masterpiece' with the end result being a vacuous mess.

Laughably overrated.

protip: everything

This was, quite literally, the worst album I have ever heard. Anyone who tells you that it's a masterpiece is completely out of their mind. For anyone to truly like this, they have to be insane. However, you'll find a hefty amount of idiots who use the "I like Trout Mask Replica" line to sound more intelligent, or something. I believe it when I read that Captain Beefheart has admitted to this being joke: it has to be. If he did this in seriousness, he'd have to be the most stupid person ever to have lived.

Assume for a minute that he did mean for this to be taken seriously. People like to say that Captain Beefheart worked rigorously to make the album perfect - they rehearsed so much beforehand that the album took very little time to record. However, whether it's rehearsed well and *meant* to sound this way or not, it does not change the fact that this is completely horrible and definitely NOT genius. Anyone who likes this is lying to themselves - please wake up.