>mediafire.com/download/svtfxjtillrdwt8/Gods Cab 1.3.rar
>mediafire.com/download/4n28zkjw0zgmdj9/ASEM RECTO V30 L2.wav

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/gl1rvra5
55chan.org/b/src/1506004395191.ogg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How 'bout guitars, huh?

I'm just barely starting to get into guitar playing. Figured I'd give it a shot since I got a couple acoustic guitars from my dad after he died.

Is there some kind of glove with hardened fingertips that I can get for fretting so I don't have to kill my fingers pressing into the strings?

I feel like guitarists fit into 2 categories. Often based on the first things the learned to play on guitar and their 'home positions'.

Type A- Low E string players, those who think mostly monophonically, horizontally or melodically. Usually playing one note at a time. Chords tend to be power chords or barre chords shifted up and down the neck. Associated more with heavier music, lead and electric guitar.

Type B- Open position players, those who think polyphonically, vertically or harmoniously. They tend to let strings ring out even when being sounded individually. Melodic lines tend to be arpeggios formed from chord shapes. Associated more with softer genres, rhythm and acoustic guitars.

Obviously everyone is somewhere in the middle but most people tend to lean one way or the other.

Which archetype are you?

Have other people noticed this dichotomy or am I just overthinking things?

>Have other people noticed this dichotomy
Yes, people usually refer to the two categories as 'rhythm' and 'lead'.

while I'm sure you could, its all part of learning, the more you play the less it will hurt, just need to stick with it. I've never heard of anyone doing it, but i assume wearing gloves that would impact your ability to play

it gets better. don't give up!

Buy an electric guitar

I know I even say the same thing myself but I don't think that really covers it fully. Someone like James Hetfield is definitely a type A and someone like Jimi Hendrix is a type B even tho it goes against that classification.

this is just the autistic version of this

i'm making my strat with the most iconic pickup configuration of all time (imo). so far, i've got a bill lawrence 500xl in the bridge (from billie joe armstrong, green day) and i'm going to put a lace sensor gold pickup in the middle (doug martsch, built to spill.)

what's the most iconic neck pickup of all time in a strat?

>green day

From what I hear it gets better due to formation of callouses on the fingertips. I'd like to avoid that.

lol why? maybe this is not the hobby for you

If that's how you feel then you should probably quit while your ahead, like this user said its just a part of life when playing guitar

hahahaha even my girl students are less feminine than this

>I'd like to avoid that.
Why? It's pretty necessary. I'm assuming that you think it's going to be ugly or something like that, but the callouses are completely unnoticeable. They also come in handy for picking up hot things.

Because callouses dull sensation and I like having feeling in my fingertips.

I have had pic related that I got for Christmas when I was a teenager and I've had it for 7 years now. I'm tired of my fimgers hurting when I play it and the really high action it has so I'm ready to upgrade. I've been looking into some entry level Fender acoustics but I want to know what you guys reccomend as a first no shitty acoustic?

What is this, a case of PTSD from circumcision or something?

buy used

Get the most expensive used Yamaha you can afford.

Seagull for sure

> Fender Jazzmaster with SH2N Jazz pickups
> Fender Jazz King amp
> Dunlop Jazztone 205 pick

What other equipment should I buy to play authentic jazz?

Too orange

>no jc120
ishygddt

> paying out the ass just for the name on the headstock

Sad!

who else /losing a passion about music/

that's scary to think about, I'd say try and learn about some of the artists you like, or branch out and learn about new ones. Something out there might inspire you and bring back the passion. That or if you're not already join some form of a band or at the very least go to some music convention and meet some people and chat about music.

Opposite for me. I'm regaining my lost passion.

I'm already in a heavily gigging band.
I can't get hyped for writing music anymore. I grew to despise band practice despite playing with some of the most chill guys you could wish for.
On the rare occasions that I do I will spent the entire day after work obssessing over the tiniest detail and then doubting whether its good or not, knowing that I have to let it cool for couple of days yet wanting to show it to bandmates immediately. And then it hits me that I am wasting so much energy and passion on something meaningless as music whereas I am completely ignoring actually pressing matters in my life, and then guilt overcomes me.

I lost my hardrive that had like 350gb of music that's been collected over the last decade and I didn't even flinch. I sort of stopped listening to music because I just lack the dedicated to sift through 10 shitty albums only to find one mediocre one.

I... I just don't know.

Fucking same.

When I was younger, I wrote some killer jams and they just naturally came to me. Now I have to sit down and think about what I want to play, and it usually sounds like butt. I feel like a dipshit when I play. Missed my shot at starting the band of my dreams too -- the music scene moved on to another genre. Who the hell wants to hear a 34 year old play 90's screamo anyway?

Oh well, this is life. Back to my dead end job and profound self loathing

Hi,

I have a Peavey Rage 108 like as seen in the picture. It has stopped functioning properly, but I love the scrappy noisy screechy sound that comes from this little thing, screeching like an average DBZ character during powering up.

How do I replace it? I have bigger and "better" amps than this, but I love the sound of this thing.

get a bandit brah.

Oooh kinda pricey, but looks interesting. I just blew €600 on a new tele so I guess i'll get this next month

I am no expert by any means, but that sounds like general depression, and then it affecting your musical passion, I'd say to see someone about it and see if that's the problem, but I also understand that no one wants to actually do that. A possibly easier alternative is to take a break. leave it all for 3-6 months and see if at any point during that time you feel like you want to get back into "it" whatever "it" is to you. It's easier said than done, being in a band makes it more difficult to just walk away, but if you really dislike there's no point in going on with it, and if you do still have some passion for it left in you it might show it's self after being away for a while.

Hope I could maybe help a bit

Don't get the new ones, get one of the older ones. There are couple of variety, single speaker/two speakers, also Red and Blue line models. Google a bit about the differences, they are not expensive in general. Awesome sounding amps. Generally those 80s and 90s Peavey amps are nigh indestructible and will live longer than you for the most part.

Its depression alright. I mean I enjoy being on stage but I've let go with drinking, I'd have 5 or 6 beers before the show, fuck up here and there but nothing too bad. I feel like playing sober wouldn't be fun at all.

I can't blame the depression because I am fully aware that it's up to me to hype myself and to get myself in the mood for music. But that is a conscious effort and... well, any effort right now doesn't feel good.
I also can't walk away from this band and still cling onto music, and I definitely cannot just forget and quit playing for good because my personality is way too attached to it.
It doesn't help that shows are typically 20 people and just shit.

Any chance to get mine fix'd or should I just get a new one? I went to my local guitar guy but he said he had no clue about this model

Should be an easy fix but at the same time those small practice amps are a dime in dozen. Repairing it would probably cost as much as just getting a new one. If you really love it that much try to take it to a repair shop and get an estimate first at least.

The whole thing sucks, I'd recommend seeing someone and possibly getting meds, I struggle with depression and have put that off way too long even though I know it would help me, so it's I understand how it can suck, and how hypocritical I am, but if everything already sucks that can't be too much worse right?

I really do hope you can sort it out, the endless dread and or hopelessness can be soul crushing

>played guitar for years
>self thought
>always played like shit but it's ok it's only for fun
>life etc
>recently acquired a really strong desire to actually play some more difficult music other than strumming "lovely ballads"
>new electric guitar
>still play for fun
>realize all those years plying like shit, bad technic, no metronome etc have REALLY fucked me beyond repair
>I'm completely and utter worthless but still want to get better
>it doesn't get much better and old habits are really really hard to let go, worse than smoking
>even simple stuff like the "Purple Haze" (without the solo) takes days and days of practice to get +- right
>almost completely impossible for me to keep a steady time signature
>realize I'll probably never be able to play what I really want

Fuck me, I just wanted a fun hobby but I'm getting frustrated.
How to overcome old habits?

Metronome. Start slow, work up. 6 months of steady practice daily will solve everything. Grinding up the time-keeping issues is the easiest problem to have.

Yeah, I've been using the metronome. I still find it hard to keep the pace because my mind wants my hands to play in the rythm my brain thinks it's the correct one. It's so frustrating.
Like, I learned to play "Oh me" unplugged version when I was young +- by hear. Recently I learned the tab and played it and I was like "yeah, that's cool". One day I played it with the music on background and I was horrified at how bad I was at keeping it in tempo. Let alone playing it without backing and keeping it steady. I practiced that for a lot of time and I can do it +- now (the solo part still goes bonkers tempo wise), but I was so frustrated by how much time I had to practice it until I got it right. Such a simple song... Even with the metronome I find it hard to keep it steady, I'm constantly missing or accelerating 1/4 or 1/2 beats...

The reality is that I'm not and will never be a decent guitarist. That's ok, I knew it from the start, but I'd think I'd at least not be hold back by the most basic stuff that I fucked up when I was young.

The only thing that got me really happy about practicing a lot more was a much faster transition between chords and finally being capable of doing a G with without the index (like fast switching from a C chord shape, using the pinky in the high E string).

Yeah I know practice practice practice...

guys i need your help because i'm very insecure and i get irrationaly frustrated easily, specially when learning stuff by myself.

i taught myself some chords, melodies and basic music theory

how do i even start learning jazz guitar?
is there a good method book on jazz guitar i should start from?
what's the best way to learn how to read music sheets?

i hate justinguitar and cannot by any means learn from it. i've done most of mickey bakey's jazz guitar as seen in the sticky.
feeling stale is terrible, i just wanna be able to pull out any chord and solo while jamming with other people

You just gotta play transcribe as many solos as you can. Become familiar with the language on an intuitive level. It's not something you can learn from a book imho

How do you guys record yourselves?

I'm the guy from the last thread who was using the headphone out from my amp through a DI Box into my audio interface and the more I dwell on this at work, the more I realize how fucking stupid it is. Do you just set up a condenser mic somewhere in the same room as your amp and blast your guitar? Do you put the Mic in front of the cab? Do you not use a condenser Mic? Just genuinely curious what the more common practices are

Amp sims usually. Ideally I'd be micing a nice amp in a nice room with a nice mic thru a nice preamp.

sm57 in front of the speaker. super close, touching the grill, to minimize the bad room's acoustics
or DI'd other times

/r/ feeback on them drums

clyp.it/gl1rvra5

Ok, how i find music made with these instruments

>most iconic neck pickup of all time in a strat

Holy sidechain Batman!

high-end Squier or low-end Fender?

> green day

Tagima or Vintage copy

Are the Ibanez Artcore series decent enough for an entry-level semi-hollow/jazz guitar?

To play jazz guitar, put on a one-chord backing track, pick a chord shape, especially the ones you don't think are going to work, and then plunk em out chromatically until you find the ones that sound cool and fuck what "type of chord" that is, and fuck bass players who'd ask you.

Yes.

Squier classic vibe 60's strat or tele?

can someone with better ears than mine check if this harmony is "right"
55chan.org/b/src/1506004395191.ogg

blues semi hollows vs jazz semi hollows?

why does /gg/ hate telecasters now? last time i was in here it was offsets you guys hated.

because we hate you

Same shit

Mickey Baker's book is pretty unhelpful for understanding jazz guitar. He gives you a lot of things to work on, but very little insight. By the time you're done, you have some tools to play a decent imitation of "jazz," but no direction on how to explore it for yourself.

I liked Ted Greene and Jody Fischer's books starting out, they're more detailed on the how/why. And finding a good teacher really helped after years of struggling on my own.

For sight reading, I'd suggest the Berklee method and its supplemental books, or Mel Bay if you want a more laid back pace.

I like mine a lot. The biggest problem I had with it was the fact that the vibrato it came with is flimsy as fucking cock and the bar actually just unscrewed itself and came off. I never used it anyway so I don't know why I bought one with vibrato anyway. Other than that it's a nice guitar.

How can you tell if a guitar is in shitty condition? This is my mum's old classical guitar, roughly 40 years old. Brazilian made with I think a solid cedar top and solid (Brazilian?) rosewood back and sides. Looks in good condition from outside but inside label has worn away and a lot of glue showing.

Sounds good to me but goes out of tune quite quickly.

Soundhole. Guitar was kept in an attic for several years unfortunately.

Guitar is a Giannini, saw one in better condition for £500 on Reverb.

Back.

gianinni are good instruments

>How can you tell if a guitar is in shitty condition?

A visual check of yours' from your pic shows top and back shrinkage, which may have caused separation.
If you shine a bright light from the inside and see it from the other side it's separating.

No light coming through. Thanks for tip user.

Good to hear, it's a fine looking guitar the top has that inclusion on both sides and the back has a great figure.

Thanks user, I like it too. My mum is wanting to get back into guitar so I am going to get it looked at by a luthier for her birthday.

Why do all you teenagers get mad when people have expensive gear?

Because my mom says I spend too much time on my computer and won't buy me anything

1) Check the neck. Any major sign or warping or bending, or if the neck seems to pull away from where it meets the body means that it's fucked, and depending on the make and age of the guitar it'll probably cost more to properly restore it than it would be to just replace it.

2) If the neck is good check the bindings on the body, if it's starting to deteriorate there's a chance that the body of the wood is starting to shrink and separate.

3) Check the nut and the bridge, especially if it was put up with strings still on and wound. Any separation there and you run the risk of pulling those from their settings and possibly fucking up the body/neck as well. Doesn't look like this was the case (unless those were the original strings) so you shouldn't have much to worry about.

4) The frets are most likely oxidized, it's not in the best interest to play it as is. Over time it can wear the frets down faster. If you can get them cleaned and refitted it's for the best.

I want to start recording my own music on my home PC. I have an electric guitar and amp, a bass and an amp, and a midi keyboard.

If I purchase:
A mic (shure sm-57)
An interface (Scarlett Solo)
and some kind of music production software

Am I set?

if 77777 sonex is the new meme

More than decent. They're great for the price

Good advice, thank you.

What a bitch

MADMAN

i got dubs
dubs i got
traps call me honey
if they feel real hot

Here's my senpai guys.

what are your thoughts on the mighty telecaster?

i like it a lot

very nice collection desu

When I'm playing scales or anything in general further down the neck (towards the body/pickup) I can't use my pinky finger for the top 2 strings (EA) and mute the lower strings with my index finger without having this crazy and slightly uncomfortable 45 degree angle in my wrist.

What's the recommended way to deal with this? I don't want to limit myself to just three fingers on the top strings.

How do really good players play further up the neck in general? I haven't found any solid videos online.

maybe you're losing a passion for music, or maybe you're just growing out of the 20-something circle-jerk that is talking about and obsessing about music as if it is Important, and thinking others "have to hear this" and being extreme about musical taste, etc.

If it's that, it's just part of growing up.
If you're actually losing the ability to appreciate musical beauty in whatever form, maybe step away for a couple of years, or just start listening further afield.
I was once at a low point with music and went to a performance of "new classical" music out of obligation to someone.
I can't say I really understood it, but damn I could FEEL there was beauty in it, and and an intellectual and musical rigorousness to it that was also beautiful. Just listening and watching this symphony orchestra, every one a master of their instrument, I teared up several times, even though the music was crazy and aggressive.
I sure wasn't expecting that. After, I started to explore different types of music and went down some very rewarding avenues. Sometimes beauty is found when you're not even looking for it.

there's a ceiling on quality in utility. buy what you like, but at certain point, you're paying more for strictly frivolous things like decoration.

what's your thumb doing? it shouldn't be in one spot the whole time.

took drum lessons for year with a super-old-school teacher who never let me touch a drum. Practice pad only. Reason I stuck with it is earlier in my life I'd had a super-old-school basketball coach who drilled us on fundementals in and out forever - while everyone else was having fun being creative. Thing was when it came to playing I was just better than they were because I had a thorough understanding of what to do.
So, I stuck with the practie pad. Years later, take up guitar. Have all the problems anyone has - except keeping time. Make a big leap when I decide I'm going to consider the guitar a percussion instrument.
For you, I suggest a practice pad, two drumsticks, and a metronome. Hold the drumsticks with the Traditional grip (look it up if you have to); you know by now how important discipline is.

lol

>there's a ceiling on quality in utility.
yes, and it's rather low for electric guitars, but there's a world of sonic difference between a Gibson 335 and a $600 copy.

Yep. People also listen with their eyes, if you're not good looking and playing a name brand guitar nobody cares. Presentation is a key element in the entertainment business, it's something dumb poorfa/gg/ bedroom warriors will never understand.

>Tele
Vomit

what a bad example. nearly every Gibson semi/fully hollowbody has a plywood top, even the vintage and high end ones.

there are guitars you could have mentioned that support your point, but not 335s. Buy a cheap copy with a decent neck, upgrade the hardware and electronics, and you've got a guitar that's just as good for a fraction of the 335 price.