youtube.com/watch?v=TteVPhgajNg&t
youtube.com/watch?v=ujb7pBRbXl4
youtube.com/watch?v=dnnBifdSbqA
youtu.be/VBGZgyl72_g
rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/strm_relyear/2017/1
youtube.com/watch?v=CTme_Xr7soM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>it's good because it's popular lol
>pitchfork, who never reviews jazz, totally didn't only look at it because he collaborated with Kendrick Lamar, who is backed by a big record label

The delusion of the drone is quite stunning

No actually it's bad because it's much too long and unfocused, it's mixed like a hip hop album, and most of all Kamasi is a basic bitch soloist who can only plays a few different scales over simple basic vamps.

It's not even actually all that bad, but people only make a big deal about it because it's so undeservedly popular and because Kamasi's fan base is so delusional.

>Kamasi is a basic bitch soloist who can only plays a few different scales over simple basic vamps.
when will this meme end? this is bullshit and you know it.

pitchfork reviews jazz all the time

They SOMETIMES review jazz. Saying they review it "all the time" is almost as big of an exaggeration as saying they "never" review it.

No it's actually all true

>it's mixed like a hip hop album,
Why is that A negative?

I'm not a jazz listener so I won't pretend to know one way or the other, but why is this a bad thing?

Because the drums and bass all sound muddy as shit and you can't even hear what they're playing most of the time. It just sounds like hip hop beats.

It's just so predictable and tiring to listen to. Ever since the advent of Bebop in the 1940's jazz musicians have been a lot more creative with chromaticism so it just makes his playing really uninteresting.

>autism

'scuse me whilst I upgrade this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tn6gjoMUEY4

>make claim
>claim gets called bullshit
>post proof of claim
>get called autistic
never change Sup Forums

Kamasi pretty much just aped Coltrane's style
but like the style of his earlier stuff, not his later, much more interesting stuff

jesus, who cares you fucking nerd

I thought it was pretty fucking interesting.
there should be more of this kind of thing here, a lot more.

This guy apparently cared enough to call it bullshit

BAVI (birds are very important)
youtube.com/watch?v=ukL3TDV6XRg

checked, fucking retard
another retard. it's a jazz thread user, it's for musicians and theory nerds like us to rave about musicians better than us. if kamasi is doing shit that i can easily wrap my head around wheres the fucking fun?

shoutout the user who actually posted that transcription and ousted kamasi as overrated, it's what jazz threads need
thank you lemme help you out
youtube.com/watch?v=si-7m7u84Do&t=977s

I've seen that image of the circle of fifths before in reference to Coltrane. Explain what it refers to no a jazzpleb?

Even Coltrane's early shit is WAY more advanced than anything Kamasi's ever done. Can you imagine Coletrane just sticking to ONE blues scale for an entire solo??

you literally just proved the OP's point.

Kamasi definitely isn't the best soloist, but people like his compositions. As far as modern jazz releases like this go, The Epic is definitely one of the better releases.

I really disagree but I'm curious what you're comparing it to. What are some jazz albums from this year that you've liked and disliked? Like maybe three of each.

>waaah stop proving your point and generating discussion
you're what's wrong with Sup Forums. fuck off.

now we're cooking...more for the pot:

youtube.com/watch?v=ubFCEWBAFjc

it's more than a circle of fifths, it shows the circle of 4ths and 5ths, 2 whole tone scales plus transition notes. one time i used it to create a ii-V-I cycle too. it basically conveys tons of jazz related information and looks really cool

I'm a drummer and am only just starting to study melody and harmony in any kind of depth, but its really interesting to see people who know their shit dissecting stuff. Where would you suggest I look to learn more about this kind of stuff?

yall like fusion? maybe it's bc i'm young and can't see it for how corny the old heads see it as now but i can't get enough of it, pic related is one of my all time favs
youtube.com/watch?v=KIMkmbxwpco&t=635s

More good modern stuff:
youtube.com/watch?v=AQxcG9d8DoY

i forgot my link sorry man
roelhollander.eu/en/blog-saxophone/Coltrane-Tone-Circle/
youtube.com/watch?v=TteVPhgajNg&t
once you're in the theory side of youtube it's like a fucking gold mine, this woman's is one of my favorites. basically i watch these videos and google what i dont know. it's a pretty aimless way to learn but i prefer it to a regimented way (which is why i'll never be a great jazz musician, i'm working on my drumming too)

Awesome, thanks man.

I'm in a jazz combo at my university and am just starting to enter the world. I told my teacher up front that I'm predominantly a rock guy, but I love the way jazz people talk about jazz and its a world I'm really excited to explore.

definitely, what uni? i play in my schools groups too

You don't need a regimented way to learn in order to be good or even to be a great jazz musician. You just need an effective way to learn. And honestly you really only need to learn as much as you need to get your point across effectively. Though to be honest I'm always sKeptical of any jazz musician who says he's already good enough to get all his points across.

Columbia College. I'm honestly mostly here to study music business and composition, I have no plans on making it as a drummer alone, but its really fun to get better at my instrument while I also figure out career stuff

German free jazz is best jazz

Great news guys! I found more Kamasi analysis

>muh gotta be able to technically wank

this is why people hate jazz fans

leave Sup Forums and never return

it's something you can't appreciate unless you're a musician. I'm fucking shit and I could play solos like this

top kek

Notice how the retort is always "NOT TRUE!" and then when you prove it is true they just resort to name calling or "KNOWING MORE THAN ME ABOUT MUSIC IS BAD!"

classic

I just recorded an album of myself clumsily picking one note on an out of tune guitar. It's 38 minutes of me just playing that one note. Will you buy it?

that's cool.

"video not available" :(

Something mellower:
youtube.com/watch?v=ujb7pBRbXl4

Sure. Is there a deluxe imported limited edition on 9 million gram vinyl?

Isn't it basically just like people who are really into hyper fast/lyrical hip hop complaining about mumblerap, or progressive rock fans complaining that punk doesn't have any guitar solos or complex chords in it?

If what someone wants is poppy, pleasant jazz to listen to, I don't see why them liking The Epic is bad.

That's the only format it was released.

You like what you like, but if you haven't ever even experienced something more complex or can't recognize the difference then you probably shouldn't expect anybody to care about what you like.

The original claim that someone stated was that Kamasi was a basic soloist who is very limited in his ability to use different scales and someone said that he wasn't, so proof was provided.

Enjoying more basic, pleasant jazz isn't a bad thing but that isn't really what this whole argument is about.

>be Pharaoh Sanders
>blow lolsorandom high-register notes as hard as possible for 20 minutes
>"OMG jazz legend, musical genius!"

this

anyone who can make a saxophone sound like a woman screaming in terror is my kind of musician

But that logic doesn't apply to everything. You, for example, OP, are both great and popular! Keep being you!

Jazz improvisation has been explored much father decades before. That's what people object to. Not to mention that he's collaborated with Kendrick Lamar, Thundercat, Flying Lotus and Run the Jewels. Not exactly jazz artists, are they? His intentions are clear and his work can't therefore be too far out and exploratory.

Much further*

>jazz threads are typically unpopular on Sup Forums
>thread with picture of le epic
>filled with plebs

Really makes you think...

we're trying to fill this with the good stuff, what to you listen to o beacon of truth

youtube.com/watch?v=dnnBifdSbqA

Hey guys, since we're talking about jazz, i really like this one (even though it's not really modern at all). What do you guys think of it?

>he's worked with mainstream artists so he can't be good

classic jazz fan elitism

Exactly. Guess who else did that ? John Coltrane. Not to mention that he's collaborated with Pharoah Sanders. Listen to the first song from Mediations and you'll find yourself in disbelief of which sounds and timbres saxophones are capable of producing. Peter Brotzmann and Ornette Coleman are some of the mad geniuses of the instrument too.

nice jazz releases from this year / recently?

i'm looking for stuff that does something new, my favorite jazz record is probably Out to Lunch if that helps

>he's worked with mainstream artists so he can't be good
You're transforming my sentences in order to make them say what you want to hear. I didn't say he wasn't good. I said that if you're playing with mainstream acts, you can't expect to play something too wild for their target audience and continue collaborating with those people. Even Wes Montgomery had a smooth jazz period, but he didn't magically become incompetent.
youtu.be/VBGZgyl72_g

>I'm in a jazz combo at my university

can I get some fries with that?

Here's a chart with some 2017 releases. I didn't make it so I don't know how good they all are.

you can also check JTG's RYM since he has reviewed a lot of 2017 releases
rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/strm_relyear/2017/1

forgot chart

people like you should not be on Sup Forums
why be here if you aren't going to actually discuss music and respond to criticism you asked for

you just know he's stroking his cock as he rates everything that's popular lowly

Kaoru Abe is pretty incredible in that regard as well, shit sounds like a dying cow or something and it's awesome

Gary Windo's solos on Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom are truly something else. Took me four listens to appreciate such intense playing. His saxophone sounds like a man begging to be killed. It's brutal. Any recommendations for Kaoru Abe's work?

if you don't know music theory you should really get off Sup Forums.

If only that had been the rule since the beginning.

ITT: Brainless nu-males who have 0 knowledge in music and are all show vs very few people on Sup Forums who are genuinely into jazz and know what they're talking about.

this thread is gold

I've never actually heard it but Sup Forums told me to hate it so I do.

The point though is that while complexity =/= goodness, complexity allows for the possibility of goodness.

Nobody would want to listen to an album of just one poorly played note, but I'd be just as justified in calling anything more than that "obnoxious technical wank" as he seems to think he is in calling anything more than one blues scale "technical wank"

We may all may all disagree somewhat about the exact degree, but it's virtually undeniable that complexity and technique is important to at least SOME degree in music.

fucking saved

because it is A jazz album and not A hiphop album

Pitchfork reviews ECM records, sometimes, and that's pretty much it

>this thread

I love when people post those transcriptions and you get to see all the true underage plebs. they think transcribing a solo and being able to read sheet music is like a fucking meme. any good musician does this kinda shit all the time. i literally have a desk full of this shit i can show you people.

kill yourself brag-fag

boring. some jazz is about creating interesting licks. This guy is pulling beginner guitar player moves

ill stop bragging when you can transcribe a louis armstrong solo.

Have you bothered listening closer? This is shit you can do with your ears. Compare what hes playing to the backing track, compare what hes playing relative to what he already just played. Is the repetition building something or is it pointless. Does he sounds like hes doing cool twists and turn, does he step out of the key, does he step out of the mode?

youtube.com/watch?v=CTme_Xr7soM
this is the only free form I have enjoyed, its actually beautiful

post some transcriptions bruh

ITT:
-people who know nothing about jazz, but they argue anyway
-people who listen to jazz, so they think they have an informed opinion on the matter
-most surprisingly, people who actually play jazz and know what they're talking about. I didn't know you guys existed on Sup Forums

this is fucking crazy

This thread speaks volumes about the state of this board.

Apparently a lot of people think it's a bad thing to understand a lot about music and be able to back up your statements with proof.

What a joke.