Someone explain how I would solve this

Someone explain how I would solve this.

A postal worker can sort a stack of mail in 40 minutes. How many stacks could the
worker sort in 3 hours and 35 minutes.

I feel bad for you if you really don't know how to do this.

60+60+60+35= 215 divided by 40=5.375

Find the rate at which he stacks.
From the 1 stack in 40 minutes find how many stacks/minute.
Then when you multiple that number by minutes, you get how many stacks he can do in that many minutes.

For example, if it was 1 stack in 2 minutes, his rate is (1/2) stacks/minute
Or 0.5 stacks/minute.
If given 10 minutes, you do 10 minutes * 0.5 stacks/minute to get 5 stacks/minute.

Answer is 5.375 stacks

1stack = 40 mins

3hrs 35mins is 215 minutes

215/40 = 5.375 faggot

Also one other method, since he stacks at the same rate, you set up a proportionality of 1 stack/ 40 minutes = x stacks / 3 hrs 35 minutes.
Then cross multiply and solve for x.

Wouldn't that make it 5 stacks?

Bait.

These answers are right, but there's no explanation.
Go with
Same thing, just explained.

"A Stack" = 1 unit.

1 unit every 40 minutes.
3 hours and 35 minutes = 215 total minutes
215/40 = 5.375

tfw Sup Forums does your algebra class work for you..i love you guys.

>60+60+60+35= 215 divided by 40=5.375
^ the full amount of time ^ which is then divided by 40 to see how many times 40 can fit in 215.
You want to see how many times 40 can fit into 215 because 40 minutes = 1 stack

40 minutes can fit 5.375 times into 215 therefore in 215 minutes the post man will have sorted out 5.375 stacks.

also note that in practice a postal worker sorts a stack way faster than 40 mins

Sup Forums likes to feel smart solving high school math

It's a win win

its a a college algebra class literally named

"college algebra"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA REALLY LOL CANT SOLVE THIS? REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

we did this in 7th graded (age 13) in sweden lmao

yeah we did this is first week, so its just a review i think...i didn't feel like doing it I didn't think Sup Forums would actually do it lol..

MURICA LOL

Didn't feel like doing it is retard for too stupid.

To be precise, the sixth stack is not sorted 37.5%, cause we don't know anything about the algorithm he uses.
So the answer is he sorted 5 stacks.

I don't see it as obvious that he can maintain his forty-minute rate for three and a half hours. If the question were, "a sprinter can run a hundred meters in thirty seconds, how far can he run in six hours?" the problem would be more obvious.