/SG/ Swans General

So what's the consensus on the best Swans album and why is it pic related?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QDsILIXMajY
youtube.com/watch?v=PwMkSvKoeUo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Don't do the questions and the answers you absolute faggot

Best Sanws album is easily The Burning World

(-) is the best they ever made

G.R.E.E.D.

What is their most normie album?

current favorites:
young god EP
to be kind
white light from the mouth of infinity

probably to be kind or the seer

Listening to TBK right now and its pretty damn good. More memorable than The Seer so far.

The Burning World (which is a bad album) or White Light (which is trully good)

It's the better album don't listen to the contrarians on here

>Gira in the store
Here's your MOONEY
>Gira in church
HOOOLY
>Gira on the beach
Bring the sun!

I really enjoyed the first 3 tracks on swans are dead. Could have been another potentially great album if they'd not break up then. Feel happiness is like one of their best

I know you're memeing, but with a few tweaks to the tracklist TBW could easily have been their best.

epic

BACK OF EVERYBODY, EDGY OPINION INCOMING

Not edgy, just a shitty opinion

no

The Burning World > White Light, to be honest. The Burning World may not have anything as great as the best tracks off White Light (Song for Dead Time is still one of the best things Swans have ever done), but it's a more consistent album. It doesn't come close to having a track nearly as bad as Will We Survive, and isn't as bloated of an album either. Many of the tracks on White Light go on for way too long, and just end up being tiring by the end. Either way, Love of Life is better than both albums, so whatever.

Please elaborte on this my man

the rape song is so out of place and makes me never want to listen to the album

It works great as a short breather and is a very chilling track imo

On second thought, maybe saying it would be their best is a bit of a stretch- nothing can beat SFTB. I like the album to begin with, but these adjustments make it like top 5 Swans-

1. The River That Runs With Love Won't Run Dry
2. I Remember Who You Are
3. Can't Find My Way Home
4. No Cruel Angel (b-side)
5. (She's A) Universal Emptiness
6. See No More (Acoustic Version)
7. Saved
8. Jane Mary, Cry One Tear
9. Was He Ever Alive? (b-side)
10. God Damn The Sun

>no Mona Lisa, Mother Earth

beautiful album but it kinda drags near the end

it's this imo

FUCK!

It drags toward the middle of the first disk, the ending is prime.

Agreed

The Seer Returns is the best track

The Gate>TGM

Anyone going to one of their shows in Brooklyn in November ?

It should have ended with A Piece of the Sky imo

I feel like it needed to end with "The Apostate" to get you ready for what they would do on TBK (which is better than The Seer)
SPACE CUUUUUUUUUUUUUNT

What is the most emotionally dishonest Swans album???

It's their best album.

The post-reunion trilogy. All of it.

I think Mona Lisa Mother Earth is a fine track, I just can't think of a particularly good place to put it in the improved tracklist that wouldn't break the flow.

why

I was kinda half-memeing, but I do sort of believe it. They just don't really make me feel anything. SFTB feels very profound in a way, managing to stay interesting for all of the two hours. There's not a dull moment on the thing, nothing that could be considered filler. Meanwhile, on The Seer, To Be Kind, and The Glowing Man, it just feels like something's missing. I can't quite explain it, but the songs just don't hook me like the ones on SFTB or even the ones on My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky. They outstay their welcome in a big way, and get somewhat tedious quickly, which is something I cannot say for any other Swans album, except maybe Cop. I mean, the albums aren't bad by any means, but I just don't "get" them, I suppose. I'll probably give To Be Kind another listen eventually- I liked it the most out of the three, but I'd still rank all 3 below all their 90s output, and most of their 80s output excluding Cop and Greed.

any album in that weird streak where they were obsessed with stripes and dollar signs

NOTHING BEATS YOU LIKE A COP

this album only has two good songs and you all know which ones they are

FLEEEEEXX YR MUSCLS

The Sound and Animus?

Yum Yab Killers and volcano?

One of them is definitely Helpless child. If not, then its obviously yum yab killers and hypogirl

this would be their best if it weren't for a few of the instrumental tracks, namely Live Through Me, Fan's Lament and Secret Friends

Jarboe apologists please be trolling

Those are like the best parts of the whole album, what the hell?

cop>filth>holy money>greed>soundtracks>children of god>seer>gr8 annihilator>tbk>white light>father will guide me>swans>love of life>burning world
haven't listened to le flaming man yet

>Cop
>their best
That's literally the worst thing Gira has ever been involved with, what the fuck.

Nah Cop is perfect; it's a direct improvement on filth so it obviously goes first. I'm a sucker for loud noise rock with droning riffs though, Cop at max volume is a beautiful display of bad vibes, anger, disgust and self-hatred. That's pretty much the attitude of early swans and Cop does it best. My favorite song is butcher, when that riff comes in hnng

I really like that drop tho

I guess it all comes down to personal taste in the end. I think the those droning riffs get old pretty fast, but I definitely appreciate the ideas behind the album, and all the "bad vibes" you were talking about. It's just not for me, I suppose. But then again, what do I know? Love of Life and The Burning World are two of my favorites, and look where those rank on your list (Also Holy Money is fucking great, so knowing there are other people in this world who rate it that high is a pretty rad feel).

Cop is suffering-core

never actually listened to the burning world but man the live album of it is amazing. its probably miles better then studio based on what ive heard about TBW

anybody here ever listened to navicon torture technologies? i highly rec his album i fucking hate you all and i hope you all fucking die if you're into soundtracks for the blind type stuff
there's part of it where he samples voicemails his friend got from a manipulative ex girlfriend, that kinda reminds me of the part in i was a prisoner in your skull where the informant dude is sampled
youtube.com/watch?v=QDsILIXMajY

It's been a while since I've listened to his work, but he's excellent. A friend of mine was obsessed with him for a while and would make music inspired by NTT

This.TGM is similar on the aspect that every idea has it's own arc throughout the album.Both STftB and TGW are meta as fuck.

i gotta listen to more of his stuff. the way IFHYA like tells a story as it progresses is just genius. any particular recs from his discography?

IFHYA is great. I'd check out The Church Of Dead Girls

sweet. thanks user

>be friends with gira
>be named fuck
>mfw he namedrops me on tbk

feelsgood.jpg

>gira sings along with pat benatar
HEARTACHE TO HEARTACHE

kek

personal swans rankings

das it mane

>Many of the tracks on White Light go on for way too long, and just end up being tiring by the end
You're not paying enough attention to them then. For example, the track Failure on the surface has one verse one chorus that the song switches back n forth between for almost six minutes. But if you pay attention, each iteration of the verse is different based on certain parts added/subtracted to the overall instrumentation, and the chorus is always pretty busy with its multi guitar bit plus the stuff that backs that.

This is probably why I enjoy Swans' attempt at folkish stuff on White Light, Love, TGA, and SFTB more than say...similar sounding neofolk stuff because of how layered everything is so that even on repetitions there's quite a bit of variation in the music while at the same time not having to change structurally so they can maintain their atmosphere.

What are other bands like Swans? Not exactly by sound, by like, bands that are this weird combination of hippie-esque psychedelia and dark, dystopian, abrasive industrial that Swans have going on.

This please

Check out Geese

>weird combination of hippie-esque psychedelia and dark, dystopian, abrasive industrial
You might enjoy The Tear Garden. I don't think I'd call them abrasive, but everything else fits. If you have the time, check out this track:
youtube.com/watch?v=PwMkSvKoeUo

agree?

always hated this chart. listening to an artists doesn't need to be that convoluted

well i mean it all is worth a listen and there is a fuck ton of albums to listen to, wish i used this list when i started, was unaware of most of the solo releases until recent

a few artists that scratch the swans "itch" for me

>have a nice life
>throbbing gristle
>DNA
>wolf eyes
>boris

never compare dogshit like have a nice life to swans again

you're an idiot

Correct correct correct

I love them both but prefer Filth, Cop to me feels like slower Filth, and when I go to listen to one of them I want it to be as aggressive as possible. From memory Cop had some more interesting musical ideas but lost some aggression, a bit more nihilistic than misanthropic.

PUNSHMENT FITS THE CRIME

spotted the pseud

its really not tho....

>liking have a nice life
>calling other people pseuds

fo realzees?

can't think of a single person in the history of the world who has ever claimed hanl to be deep

You must be shitting me

nope
all I've ever seen is people praising how simple and "raw" most of the lyrics are which I'm pretty sure is the polar opposite of deep