I don't take depression seriously anymore

I don't take depression seriously anymore.

I see depression everywhere.
>YouTube videos where people just use the word "Depression" and they get millions of views.
>Half of my class say they have depression
>I just got diagnosed with the sickess

I feel like I can't really tell people that I have this "sickness", because it has become so normalized. Evertime I think about sharing it with someone, it just feels like I feel sorry for myself in some way.

Am I alone on this?

Unless you are clinically diagnosed, you're just sad.
Depression is a mental illness. While environmental circumstance do attribute to it, you need to be predisposed to it genetically

99% of your class is just circumstantially sad and dont know what depression really is

Depression often gets conflated with circumstantially sad. Don't worry, you can still feel special.

It won't go away and you should not share it with anyone besides a healthcare professional. Do not use it as a crutch or expect others to treat you differently. Doctors can help you but it will not be fixed instantly. It will take time and serious effort on your part.

I'm with you on this one. Not only depression but any kind of sickness or disorder people can use as a scapegoat for their short comings. I'm almost at the point where im gonna have to start punching people the fuck out every time they say their " gluten intolerant" because I actually have chron's and trust me....theres alot more to deal with than a little tummy ache when your truely gluten intolerant lol

Do You know how long it normally takes to get better though?

Until your psych gives you lithium

>Do not use it as a crutch or expect others to treat you differently.

Amen. People talk about this crap all the time. My diabetic friend has to take insulin and constantly monitor his blood sugar ... know how often he talks about it? Almost never. Someone with depression will tell you in the first hour you meet them.

OH and depressed people don't like to commiserate with each other, because they just end up competing over their depressedness. They seek out and feed on emotionally healthy people. They're like vampires.

I'm kinda like that, and I was just put on meds for it. I just don't like it when people feel the need to let everyone know, like if you are going to discuss something like that, keep it to the people who are close to you.

I won't speak for everyone, but sometimes anxiety and depression are the cause of those shortcomings ane they can even worsen them.

1. it's a real thing and society accepting too many people is better than mental illness being an open secret that let billions of people suffer in silence and off themselves and ruin innocent peoples' lives, unnecessarily and out of society's cowardice in the face of uncomfortable subjects
2.many people absolutely do use stuff like that as an excuse for bad behavior, or as a cop-out that stunts their emotional development. but usually those people are their own greatest enemy. You can learn from them even if it's just what not to do, learn to get out of your own way the way you wish they would, at least. Then, ideally, go back and try to help some of the people you were close to, if you can. but these people defeat themselves, they're no threat to you

I think it's more the personality of most people with "Depression" that do the "Vampire" thing. It's disgusting how they fucking compete over it

their emotional development is just stunted in a different way than yours. freaking out over gluten-free dorks, you're an abrasive, spiteful ass. You aren't supposed to live in THAT MUCH contention with the world around you.

lol you have no idea what you're talking about

Life is hard, and then you die.

Yes, life is certainly depressing.

If you're rich, take prescription drugs. If you're poor, drink to excess or use street drugs.

But if you're a man, cowboy the fuck up, and do the best you can with what you got and live your life to the fullest.

Or, you could just be a cunt and whine, cry, and do drugs and be nothing.

But I do. I know too many people with depression. Zoloft everywhere. And yeah, they talk about their depression like vegans talk about being vegan.

this is better than the old system. we (as a society) are working on it. it's in process.

I'm not depressed, I just wanna shoot myself. Lmao

>Someone with depression will tell you in the first hour you meet them

How can you make that generalisation given the obvious fact that the only people you can identify as having depression are the ones who have made it known? When I suffered from clinical depression, I literally didn't tell a soul about it until long after I had recovered from it. Nobody noticed a thing.

>When I suffered from clinical depression, I literally didn't tell a soul about it until long after I had recovered from it. Nobody noticed a thing.

That's called "Life."

You are not the only one. There's a couple billion other niggers who feel the same way.

>I just wanna shoot myself.

Do it. There's over 7 billion people on this planet, and that's about 6.5 billion too many.

i dont get people who say this bs at all, first, it doesnt follow the actual medical definition, youre making your own, and i myself many years ago i had many really bad traumas that made me increasingly "sad" until to point that i didnt knew what was making me feel like that anymore, my brain just kept me on that state out of inertia

after years of this and no one taking me seriously (people close to me, psych did give me meds but none really worked for me) it really fucked me up, i have a serious problem with forgetting stuff, never felt that sadness anymore but instead i started feeling nothing, while i came back to performing just as before (except for my memory), im not the same anymore

I think of it as a philosophical standpoint. If you can moralizaly argue that you can kill yourself you are suicidal. Ive countered myself with that one for many years

yeah you're pretty dumb

Cry harder, faggot.

Trash can? Trash area!

I'm not against talking about depression. People with depression should tell those who are willing/able to help. Doctors/counselors/therapist/parents/close friends. Make the conversation productive and be an active part of your recovery.

This almost never involves bringing it up multiple times daily with friends and acquaintances who can't actually help and don't feel like ALSO being depressed.

>moralizaly
nigga what?

If you are a guy then no one gives a fuck if you are depressed.

>I don't take depression seriously anymore.
But do you take it serious?

You should stop being an idiot.

dubs and what a simple way of looking at something complex.

i am just stating that any doctor knows that there is environmental depression, if you agree with that guy youre making your own definitions for stuff

recently lost a close parent of mine and for me that was nothing, if i had proper treatment/counseling maybe i wouldnt be like this, it is definitely not normal, im glad that no one in my family really noticed that i wasnt giving a shit

Oh one more thing to add. People with depression should do the things doctors tell them to do about it. Almost at the top of every list is EXERCISE. Clinically proven to be nearly as effective as SSRIs. I'm not saying it's a cure or it's the only thing you should do. I'm just saying if you're complaining about being depressed and you're not hitting the gym, you're not taking it seriously and you just want to complain.

Nah dude it's not "life", my objective life circumstances aren't much different than they were then, yet I feel a million times better now. Something was very definitely chemically wrong, literally unable to feel pleasure at any degree

It's just a common use term. Real depression isn't feeling sad. It's not feeling anything at all

People are becoming so averse to negative thoughts (for some stupid reason) that they begin conflating the normal ups and downs of life to be "depression" and conflate it with the actual psychological problem Major Depressive Disorder, which is more than just negative emotions.

Simple as that really.

This is what feminists are doing to the word rape

Real victims will feel as if everyone thinks they're lying or are blowing things out of proportion

Humans are sick animals, once they find a way to feel special and get attention, they double down on it

Worst part is that it's obvious when its a cry for attention, but if you say that, they double down instead of face reality

The reality is that they're pathetic and the reason they are the way they are is in the mirror

>But if you're a man, cowboy the fuck up
What are women supposed to do then?

bitch and moan until a man "saves" you and you ruin his life

Same thing.

You're right man, everyone who feels sad for an hour after some minor event claims they have depression nowadays. I've been silently suffering silently for years now and have never once told anyone because every fucking man and their dog says "uggh I'm sooo depressed omg" now it's fucking annoying.. Come back when you've faced years of unexplained, uncalled for extreme sadness deep down that makes you feel like crying 95% of your waking hours, waking up and not wanting to get out of bed, just wishing you would die in your sleep.

It's just a trendy buzzword now to express mild sadness.

kek. It's funny because it's true.

>Do not use it as a crutch or expect others to treat you differently.

This. Fuck it makes me so mad when people use this to get sympathy points. People with anxiety do it a lot too. I can't help but feel that majority of people with legitimate depression wouldn't feel comfortable talking about it except to people who are extremely close.

This.
It's even worse for ocd.
People arrange their candies by color and say "ughh I'm so ocd"

Just share it user. We're all depressed and most of us realize it and need to share it. Dont bottle it up.

Dude doesn't it suck when you have real mental problems that interfere with your daily life and people all around are like "I'm so sad I'm so stressed I can't handle things waaaaah"

you first

Some people don't have anyone close but really need someone to talk to, so they talk of it with coworkers or even complete strangers...
Some have never been taught proper boundaries and blurt out stuff that's way too personal for others...
Not saying that either one is a healthy way to cope, just throwing some motivations in there that make people do that.

How do you describe depression to someone who's never been depressed? Having a hard time explaining it to my gf because im bad with words

>It's like your feelings are dead and you're sad or upset or afraid but you can't fully experience it except through the lens of the emotional apparatus that's just lying there doing nothing.

If you're actually able to talk to people and go out to school or a job, you're pretty much fine.
I'm too depressed to even bathe, cook and brush my teeth

but posting on Sup Forums is fine? fuck off.