Be 3 years ago

>be 3 years ago
>extended family that i dont know very well come to visit
>drunk mom says "user put on some music"
>dont know what to play for normies
>play shuffle on my ipod
>we all eat pizza in silence with this in the background youtube.com/watch?v=4vWT5ThmQyM
>next song is caroline no
>half way through take my pizza and ipod & hide in my room

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=v0dUnoecoZ0
youtube.com/watch?v=D49YVrtxfdE
youtube.com/watch?v=a_xqKfqv9jA
m.youtube.com/watch?v=s8awdYml7Kw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

AH FUCK I REMEMBER THIS SONG THEY PLAY IT AT WORK ALL THE TIME AND THE WEIRD WAVY SYNTH THING ALWAYS CATCHES MY ATTENTION

David bowie - Hunky Dory
The Beatles - Help!
Gorillaz - Demon Days
Michael Jackson - Bad

There should be a chart for albums that are mostly safe to play when you're put on the fucking spot like this

my poor bb I get u, I understand u, I here for u

you're right someone needs to make a chart for normie safe music because I get put in this same situation too fucking often

>Be earlier this summer
>Camping with some friends of the family and their family/friends
>Someone pulls out a bluetooth speaker
>Asks if anybody wants to play some music
>Everybody drunkenly says yeah
>Mom's friend looks at me like I'm the music messiah
"Nah you wouldn't like my music"
>Oh come on! Play anything!
>k.
>shuffle
>youtube.com/watch?v=v0dUnoecoZ0

oh no

why would you save this on your phone in the first place

The people I backpacked with listened to bands like that a lot and it kind of rubbed off on me after awhile.

This is a fine camping song especially if you guys are drunk

Im on it

>Be at small party with a group of my friend's friends, they're all normies
>They all get drunk, they start yelling "BRO PUT ON YOUR MUSIC! COME ON!"
>They all look at me with my phone out
>ohshitihavetoplaymymusic
>"Guys, I don't know. I listen to some pretty experimental stuff."
>GO FOR IT user FUCK IT! WE DONT CARE MOTHERFUCKER!
>"O-okay."
>I connect my phone to the bluetooth and this starts playing: youtube.com/watch?v=D49YVrtxfdE

Their reaction was this face

is this supposed to be embarrassing?

oh Geeze

Yeah for some people. Obviously not them. They went silent when it started and nobody really said anything until halfway through. I said "whoops" and changed it to Chris Stapleton or some shit before it was over. Things returned to normal immediately.

It is when you're hanging around people who's idea of music is radio "country"

>days and daze
OH MY FUCKING GOD AHAHAHAHAH
I like this the best
>youtube.com/watch?v=a_xqKfqv9jA

why do you people use shuffle anyways?

PFFT-AAAAAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

*breathes in*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Wow...so this is what Neutral Milk Hotel would sound like if they had 0 talent

>high as fuck
>sitting on the couch with roommate
>put on unwound - leaves turn inside you
>religious experience
>realize the album is over and I had been imagining more of it
>roommate had also been imagining more
>next morning
>"wtf was that user, that was horrible"

Another time
>really fucking drunk, with 7 or 8 people
>put on king crimson
>too drunk to remember what everyone thought but we made it through the entirety of ITCOTCK without changing the music

what kind of shitty trash punk are you.

Reminds me of the time I played clipping for my grandma

I always put on Dinosaur Jr. - Beyond, its fun and most normies will dance to it

>in car with friend his girlfriend and qt i have crush on
>his gf puts on spotify and ed sheeran comes one
>i make a little giggle but then realize im not on Sup Forums and surrounded by normies
>his gf catches the giggle and calls me out
>oh i-its just i have an inside joke about this with friends yeah
>qt grill "oh user whats the joke"
>"oh its nothing really"
>"TELL US!!!"
>"its just uh we arent big fans of this"
>his gf enters a fury
>demands i put on music i like
>what is qt grill is patrician this is my chance to find out
>puts on Firth of Fifth
>scilence
>more scilence
>his gf says "uhhhh... OKAY"
>whole car starts laughing
>she rips aux cord out of my phone
>qt grill never talks to me anymore
>mfw

They mock Genesis but enjoy Ed Sheeran? Then stop hanging with annoying normies. They have shit taste. And if you're around normies put on something a little more between mainstream and obscure, you know? I usually go for Tame Impala, Ween, Boards of Canada or some shoegaze.

GIB

>he doesn't have a go to normie album
Pic related.

All you have to do is say "Oh the drummer on this is the same guy who did the song that goes duh duh duh duh duh duh DUH-DUH" and normies would instantly think its cool.

Why don't you people have music for when shit like this happens?

Rec some albums so a chart can be made

this

Travis Scott - Rodeo
Gorillaz - Demon Days
Weezer - Blue Album
Daft Punk - Discovery

Also, dont play whole fucking albums. At least shuffle through a few of them

>Dont play whole albums
No, the point of the chart should be entire albums that you can play through without boring normies. Subtly heighten their music taste.

I agree with this person

Panic! at the Disco - Pretty. Odd
Kanye West - MBDTF
Pink Floyd - DSotM (if they dont like it just talk about the shirt)
Just play normie friendly music that you also like. Do you just not have any?

That's gonna be really hard to convince people to do in general, most people listen to music for that long in the first place, but any of these still work.

Holy shit you just saved me from future autistic normie encounters thank you

That happened

Thats the point of it, though. If you play x album while normies are over, they'll most likely hear a song that interests them that isn't one of the hit singles they've heard on the radio, and end up wanting more. Even the dumbest of normies is still curious.

Honestly you just have to find those connections in order to get normies "into" prog. Want a normie to like Yes? Just tell them that the guitarist on Heat of the Moment is also the one playing on Close to the Edge. For whatever reason, normies are completely oblivious to the fact that most of the 80s rockers were proggers in the 70s.

You should have put I Know What I Like or More Fool Me on instead.

>the song that goes duh duh duh duh duh duh DUH-DUH

what did he mean by this?

if I ever get asked to put on music at a party it is 100% always Heads Will Roll (A Trak Remix)

the vocals would turn everybody off

don't get me wrong though, i friggin love that album

only along with the video

There should be an application that scans your library and returns the most normie friendly songs. But how would you objectivly determine normie friendly?

>he doesn't have Imagine Dragons in his tracklist for these kind of situations

you are total fail
>3 years ago
>not stating your preferences as simple matters of fact
eat a dick faggot
28 club loves yoi

>gets control of Bluetooth speaker
>plays 12-inch version of Blue Monday
>"WHERE ARE THE VOCALS user"
>"WHY DOES IT SOUND SO OLD"

Do you guys actually listen to music on shuffle? You couldn't pay me to put shuffle on in front of other people. It's live mix or die

>Asked to play something at a party
>decide to play suicide's s/t album
>think I'm really fucking clever by deleting Frankie teardrop and not falling into a similar trap to OPs
>forgot about Girl
>the orgasm noises start and I see several people give we weirded out looks
>wait for the song to end, unplug my phone and leave immediately afterwards

Agreed

I have a crowd-pleasing playlist ready or I make one if I know for sure I'm in charge of music.

Sounds like a fun time, user. Glad you had fun.

Just play wonderwall next time, or Mr Brightside. Never fails

If you need more than 2 songs pretend your music player broke

Flawless aproach

Have you guys ever played the drinking game "Thunderstruck"?

You play AC/DC's Thunderstruck with everyone in a circular pattern. One person chugs until they hear "thunder" or "thunderstruck" and then the next person goes. It's not too bad but there are 2 long gaps so you laugh at those people.

Did it to great success at a party and now every party playlist I do has this song and we play play the game whenever shuffle grants it to us.

I play songs from this album during any and all opportunities where I get to pick the music

Because I have no Idea what normies actually like? I could turn on a top 40 radio station but that is all I got

>be 6 hours ago
>finishing my shift as day care worker
>it's parent day and everyone is there with their rugrats
>we're winding down after an entire afternoon of activities, crafts and prize giveaway
>everyone is eating pizza rolls/party pies and drinking milk/soda etc amongst their kids and friends
>the parents start talking about music while I'm helping a kid finish his macaroni painting
>someone brings out their bose speaker and starts playing music from their phone
>everyone takes turn putting their music on shuffle as a game to everyones joy/chagrin/amusement
>I often play acoustic guitar for the kids and they start talking me up to their parents to give me a go
>"come oonnnn user" "woop woop"
>"haha really guys you go ahead I got to help james finish his masterpiece though"
>"don't be a party pooper"
>reluctantly agree knowing this could go any number of ways
>my first song
m.youtube.com/watch?v=s8awdYml7Kw
>stare them all down trying not to show weakness and be a part of the joke
>several kids burst into tears
>parents stare at me in disbelief as james scrunches up his macaroni painting and throws it at me
>mfw

>made a playlist of songs that I thought would be fun to play at parties and that the average listener could enjoy
>deleted It after adding hundreds of songs when I realized I will never get the opportunity to use it

I like this idea, thanks user. AC/DC makes for good party rock

>at a birthday party for a friend-of-a-friend, with lots of normie-friendly 00's rock, a little bit of modern stuff, and some dadrock
>the music's playing from a spotify playlist off an open laptop
>occasionally sneak by and add a song to the playlist, FIDLAR, Wavves, Broncho, etc
>People start getting into it, even recognizing the FIDLAR song
>There was some Johnny Cash earlier, so decide to add something in that vein as well before I leave
>Add Casey Jones by the Grateful Dead
>For some reason this is the song that gets a weird reaction
>The guy who's playlist it was shoots me a shitty look as I leave the party
7/10 experience overall

Take this upvote and get out!

I can't listen to this song without being reminded of getting blackout while playing this game

Maybe he had a cocaine problem in the past idk. Also, grateful dead and that song especially are normalfag friendly, especially in a dad rocker crowd. I played Wynonas Big Brown Beaver by Primus at a party and people were either fucked up enough to jig along or completely weirded out. It's not even a weird song... It was nominated for a Grammy

lol poor you.
mind sharing stuff you remember?

> Kanye West - MBDTF
Idk, man. Today I tried with Runaway and it went horribly.

just scrape top 40 cut out '95-'05 (normies hate that shit doesn't have nostalgia appeal yet)

Nah, MBDTF won't work. Wouldn't Graduation be a better Kanye album for normies?

>plays firth of fifth for normies
What's it like being retarded

Maggot brain (skip the song maggot brain)
Odelay
Blue album
Since I left you
Bridge over troubled water
Satanic panic if they like Beatles-y shit
Sound of silver

based

Yeah, but normies don't listen to albums anyway. Try with Stronger or Barry Bonds (go with the latter only if you know that they like Lil Wayne or similar rappers). And try Heard 'Em Say with female normies, only because Adam Levine is in it.
The New Workout Plan is catchy as hell so that might work, but I haven't tried it yet so I don't know for sure.

My normalfag friends don't even finish songs most of the time. Whoever is manning the aux will play about 20 different songs throughout the night, switching to another aong about halfway through because they get bored or are reminded of another song they wanna listen to. I have heard the same song over 5 times in a night but never to completion before. I'm a turbopleb but sometimes I wonder how one can unironically say they enjoy music when they can't even finish a song.

maybe it could check how many listeners it has on spotify

I can feel it song by the Bald Genesis

>tfw

Charts are for beta numales

Chill out dude it's fun

Since I Left You
Lemon Jelly albums
toro y moi

always go great with normies

I always gravitate towards the speaker and play some grateful dead when I´m drunk/high enough to not care about the other people at the party. Almost always play Uncle John's Band or Sugar Magnolia.

>puts on Firth of Fifth
Now why would you do this? i swear i sometimes think some of you have legitimate autism. Make sure you play Interstellar Overdrive next time you get in your friend's car, i'm sure his girlfriend will be sucking your dick afterwards

Starting with a 9 minute song is a terrible idea.
Different people like different things so I could be wrong but plenty of my friends with really normie taste love Dark Fantasy, which could be enough to get people interested in listening more.

This

Most popular on iTunes/Spotify

This is the huge flaw of this thread. No sense getting a playlist when every fucking normie at the party halfway into a song will get up saying "Wait I know this great song" and proceed to put up fucking Ed Sheeran or something. Also in every group of normies there's at least one or two dad rockers who feel enlightened and in ironically thinks ACDC or something is the best band of all times. You can try to elevate their tastes as much as you want but after max 10 mins one of them will get up and say "yeah, cool, but now let's listen to the kings of rock" and put Bohemian Rapsody on.

ITT: naive, underage, special snowflakes.

>guys please approve of my taste.

>also i have a unique personality, right?

This thread is cringe

Do you faggots REALLY and GENUINELY think you're so special that you make "normies" (under your own definition, naturally) "weirded out" by your music?

To them you're just some pretentious faggot that decides what people like beforehand. nobody actually cares.

you're fucking tools, everyone of you that think that way.

>goes to parties
>socializes
>talks to other people
>still decides for some strange, unknown reason theyre more special than anyone else

I don't understand this logic.

Did you not read the thread or are you just retarded?

as opposed to alpha numales?

Normie/Autistic dialectic aside this thread is exactly about how to share music you like with your friends without them getting bored or thinking you're pretentious.

You ARE pretentious if you think your music is too special for them beforehand.

I'm not sure what your point is here. You are on Sup Forums so you almost certainly got into music that most people are not into. What's wrong with wanting to bridge the gap between your taste and your friends' tastes

I understand you're not that strong on social relationships, but you surely can imagine that if I'm ITT I had this problem before, right? It's not like I don't want to let my friends listen to what I like because I assume they won't like it, I axtually did it and they didn't like it. Some of them are people I love and I want them to like the same things I like, so pretentious right?