I'm really not trying to be disingenious or offensive, but I have to ask:

I'm really not trying to be disingenious or offensive, but I have to ask:

Do residents of smaller countries feel a resentment that in order to get ahead in a big way in the globalist society we live in, it's almost necessary to speak/understand English and western culture, and not so much their own?

Your Slovenians, Estonians, Tajikistanians, etc.
— The 'formal attire' from Thailand to Iceland is the suit and tie.
— Street signs in many continents are simultaneously in English
— Western English media (Movies, Music and Television) will be seen and heard easily in Vietnam to Guatemala
— The US has many military bases in other countries, not vise-versa

Does any of this result in minor countries feeling isolated or inferior, as it is not their own movies that can be easily seen in a theater in Michigan to Brittany, or their music heard on radios in Dublin and Vancouver?

I really wouldn't blame anyone for feeling bitter about that.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=73UVTwNQHls
youtube.com/watch?v=aNk-BbbYnuY
nu.nl/binnenland/4675563/nederlandse-taal-wordt-nauwelijks-bedreigd-engels.html
youtube.com/watch?v=bGCPy974hv8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This isn't entirely relevant, but for the US military bases, at the end of the day that keeps the world at relative peace. If you look at history from an objective stand point the world is the most peaceful it has ever been. And this is directly due to the U.S. and Russian military involvenment around the world. Look at this map, if a major war was to break out, it is an almost certainty that Russia and America would be involved. If that war was to go full scale, by the comparrison of WW1 or WW2, every country with a Russian or U.S. military base would become involved, and since nukes exist, it is likely that either all, or at the least most of the countries on this map would cease to exist. Not to mention the strain on the few countries left, because of the economic problems, refugees, etc.

tldr; People may not like the U.S./Russia having military bases in foreign countries, but at the end of the day it's for the best.

FUCK

I think you are overstating western influence. outside of tourists areas, there are no signs in English, nobody knows hello, only Korean and Thai dramas are on TV.

tldr for most of the world it isn't globalized yet

We have long given up on our own language.

Nope, we learn English so we can speak to foreigners, we don't use it to speak along ourselves, and many people still don't know it.

We consume Western medias simply because we like it, not because it's Europe or Amerikka.

>— Street signs in many continents are simultaneously in English
Not here, yet.

Was Irish even the most spoken language when you got your independence?

I would rather see my money go to healthcare subsidies, section 8 rentals, social security and cheap education. Than military bases or the army.

What ever happened to putting America first instead of America's military first?

Ireland has a higher English speaking percentage than England

Mate we only spend like 3% of our GDP on the military.
While we spend 17% on healthcare.

We have a massive GDP, the fact that we spend that much of a percentage on it, yet still aren't to the "standards" of western countries, just shows that it's not feaseably possible.
Especially considering that Norway has the highest HDI, yet they spend less than 10% of their GDP on healthcare.

Good question.
Yeah somewhat.
Like I've been thinking this stuff since I was little like why can't my culture dominant instead of yours. There is the good and bad about it. Some consider it a big problem and some don't or even just go along with it. Western culture has been deep rooted at certain society, so would be hard to replace it with another.

In the Netherlands it's considered a good thing to know more languages.

Plus our own culture is very strong. So we do not worry about it very much.

its not necessary to speak english here to get "ahead", there are no american bases here, there are no english signs apart from tourist centers, no english media either apart from series and movies but they are all dubbed

you dont actually have an empire, i dont know what resentment you are talking about, we find it funny how dumb are americans

True. Even here you don't truly need English.

Many people are assblasted about young people using foreign words.
I'm not.

It's 'how dumb americans are', champ

> Street signs in many continents bla bla bla
there are also different unions as EU that have regulations and directives
there are also ISO standards etc

Besides that, yes, burgerland destroying cultures for centuries, here is example

youtube.com/watch?v=73UVTwNQHls

youtube.com/watch?v=aNk-BbbYnuY

>born in America
>grew up speaking English
>get dual citizenship
>go home and get cushy job in English-related media that foreigners can't get because they need to have Thai citizenship and knowledge of Thai language

It was in the news a few weeks ago that according to Dutch universities English barely has an effect on our language.
We do get some new loanwords, if there was no Dutch word for it before, but we tend to Dutchify them as well.

Only in IT, research and aviation English words are common.
nu.nl/binnenland/4675563/nederlandse-taal-wordt-nauwelijks-bedreigd-engels.html

But if you take a word like gaming, then Dutch people will talk about gamen. And I have gegamed. But we also use the Dutch word spelen (playing).
And sending a message on whatsapp is appen or I have geapped you (I have send you a whatsapp message).

I've always been aware of that, my response was to learn other languages and watch other media, I tried to learn german, then I tried to learn chinese, spent a couple of years studying both but it always felt too difficult, but I was taught english since I was 4 years old and it always seemed very easy, because I listened to music in english and watched tv and movies in english. It's hard for me to accept it but other than spanish the only other language I really speak is english, and as much as I want to speak german or mandarin chinese they're too hard...

Im sorry but i have to ask
>cushy
Is it in the adult playground where foreigners need to understand so much thai?
youtube.com/watch?v=bGCPy974hv8

No but we go to those places often. They are good fun. Other countries are so uptight.

I will throw a jab at it.

I don't think people are resentful for having to adapt to the globalized world via learning foreign language or consuming foreign media. It is in the order of things the world will eventually have over arching global culture and if not a single language at most couple will raise to dominance. You use the said language to communicate not with the english speaking part of the world but with many others whom learned the language in order to be able to communicate in the world stage.

It's just a thing you do.

Hungrish lmao

you got the msg
english is a tool everyone butchers daily, but its easy to understand so we use it
has nothing to do with "influence"

I suppose having Russian bases in America would really put a damper on the whole patriotism thing

>Do residents of smaller countries feel a resentment that in order to get ahead in a big way in the globalist society we live in, it's almost necessary to speak/understand English and western culture, and not so much their own?

Its not though, language is important but not very much, culture is absolutely irrelevant, nobody spends time learning about ''western culture'' whatever the fuck that may mean, considering from Finland to Texas it gets pretty different

That would be interesting to see though. Put them in Montana or some shit.

>considering from Finland to Texas it gets pretty different
>implying implications

shut the fuck up you mongoloid subhuman, go die from alcohol poisoning