Hey guys. I just purchased a gym membership, but I've only gone to the gym with others, never on my own...

Hey guys. I just purchased a gym membership, but I've only gone to the gym with others, never on my own. Does anyone know any good workout routines for beginners? I've read that 5 days a week with all days cardio and 2 days weights is good, but I seem to find different shit all over the place.
Pls help

Other urls found in this thread:

muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/complete-mf-beginners-training-guide-0
stronglifts.com/5x5
twitter.com/AnonBabble

fuck cardio, hit every muscle group hard once a week.
eating and rest are as important as your workout.

muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/complete-mf-beginners-training-guide-0

I found this. Is this a pretty decent workout routine?

go to /fit/ and read the sticky or attempt something like 3x5 or 5x5

fuck it go for something simple focusing on squat, bench, press and deadlifts

This

(you)

or if you wanna go for powerlifting attempt something like greyskull LP

good advice^

It depends on what you want to do with your body. Are you in decent shape? Can you jog a few miles in a reasonable amount of time? If not, don't skip cardio. A few days a week is fine. I think people generally suggest skipping cardio when their only goal is muscle gain. Don't want to waste precious calories.

I recommend trying to keep things balanced. Make sure you hit all muscle groups regularly for lifting. Make sure to do cardio and different kinds regularly.

any powerliftingfags here?

I'm honestly out of shape and over my desired weight, but I'm not obese and insanely unhealthy. My first goal is to lose weight as opposed to muscle gain. Of course muscle gain is a future goal, but I wanna lose some pounds first.

What's your diet?

Starting Strength
Avoid the machines, they're bullshit. Freeweights only.

Cooked meals about 3/4 nights out of the week. I'm 18, so I still kinda eat whatever my family eats and unfortunately sometimes that's fast food. However, I avoid junk food and I hate sweets, and I only drink water, so thats a plus.

1. Go to /fit/
2. Read the sticky
3. ???
4. Profit

thats too hard spoon feed all of it to OP

consider eating more meals throughout the day.
try to not fill your diet up with weak ass foods. meaning get the nutrients you need rather than what you just crave. a lot of people (women for example) will fill up on carbs, not get enough protein, use supplemental shakes as REPLACEMENTS, the list goes on.

with this said don't fall for trend diets. stick with a diet for many months or a few years. this is one of the the most basic approaches.
consider a STRICT ketosis type of diet. do it for at least 1 year. and remember any time you lose weight fast, it's just water weight. you could give or take about 10lbs of water weight.

at the gym hit the most basic of exercises. use light weight until you have perfect form.

many months from now if you stick with your gym shit, you will understand that your gym friends are probably gonna hold you back more than you'd think the would.

Is it bad to be a beginner with no workout partner?

Sup bro i'm here

years trainied, bw and numbers for s/b/d?

not necessarily. and no, especially if your partner is a "typical" beginner who has everything to say and nothing much proper to show.

mirrors are your friend. there's a reason gyms are lined with them. but you can't be in denial about anything. you got a bad squat and you gotta be consciously aware of that and not in denial about it being bad. know what i'm saying?

That's where I am currently. I've lost a good amount of weight recently but I'm trying to lose another 10-15 pounds and then I'll start weight training again and eating significantly more calories and protein.

I've been eating 3 small meals per day, sometimes skipping lunch in favor of snacking on almonds until dinner. The most important thing is eating just enough that you're not hungry. That means you stop eating before you're full (or just eat really slowly) because there is a delay between when you've had enough and you feel like you've had enough. Then optionally, throw some exercise on top if you want. Exercise will speed it up even more. I've been doing cardio because I got out of shape and I want my cardiovascular system in top shape in preparation for when I start weight training again.

Funny you say that, when you see all the Mr. Olympian and Universe winners train on both.

sorry but you're fucking up user. eat more food on your cut. track your calories and eat the same amount of shit everyday. you also don't need to do "Cardio" on a cut. you can still lift and it may acutally be more beneficial for your long term goals to lift right now.

numbers?

Visit /fit/.

This. Don't post there until you've read the sticky.

Is eating the same shit everyday wise? We need a variety of nutrients to function optimally. So unless what I eat everyday has a perfect distribution of nutrients, I'm going to end up missing some things over time.

And what's the rationale for no cardio? The cardio isn't for weight loss for me, it's to get my cardiovascular system back to where it use to be so that weight training doesn't exhaust me when I start again.

in op's defense Sup Forums gets quicker replies by the hour. esp versus /fit/ qtddtot threads. he'd be lucky to get even 1 reply.

Darebee is a good website, and for fitness tips look up Jax Blades on youtube.

I actually just checked the fit wiki and my caloric intake for cutting is close to what they recommend, maybe 100 calories below sometimes.

Do JIm Wendlers 531 (there is a app on android, dont know about ios) while also doing the "big but boring program" simultaniosly. If you have any questions, google the program and take a look at Tnations article by Wendler himself

yes if you eat the "right things". but it's easier said then done. obviously there are a wide variety of good things we can eat, and we can't just get EVERYTHING in, which is good for us everyday. but being consistent with at least your macros, and eating clean, is the main thing here. you can switch up recipes and snacks and not have any figurative loss here. i didn't mean to say eat the same exact things like a robot or dog.

it is possible. it's really not THAT hard of a task. it's more about $ and mind over matter.

i thought you meant you did cardio to help lose weight. so my point was lifting can be just as if not more beneficial for weight loss. however the best thing for you to do would be to lift and maybe add non lifting cardio. rn you are being accustomed to cardio movements and that intensity, not lifting movements and that intensity.

i see it as if you had a copy of yourself and he lifted right now instead, he'd probably have a huge head start over you and your preparing-to-lift mentality in the long run.

cool. what abonut your carbs? and do you consume a lot of sugar?

Fuck routines. Deadlift, squat, bench, do pull ups, eat, sleep. That's it.

That's exactly why I posted here

You should gym 3 times a week full body. You're going to get newb gains and you really aren't doing yourself any favors with an advanced exercise routine specifically targeting individual muscles.
You should also do cardio 2-3 times a week as it will assist you're heart and metabolism, etc.

Is your goal body building, strength training, or what.

Who the fuck told you that?

I was suggesting cardio to start because that can get you into the habit of going to gym without having to study up a bunch right away. It'll still be beneficial to weight loss, just not optimal. But it's a moot point if you don't start going to the gym regularly anyways.

Running is simple. Once the routine starts it's easy to transition into the more complicated lifting in place of jogging the whole time.

I consume very little sugar. I never liked it for some reason. My calories are predominantly fat and complex carbs because I'm a bit poor currently but I cook most of my meals and make sure I get some protein. In the next few months I'll switch to a diet higher in protein. I also drink predominantly water and black coffee or espresso.

Do a 3x5 routine until you get decently strong if you're starting from skinny / skinnyfat. After 6-9 months switch to the Reddit PPL. It's fucking good. I skip the leg days at the moment because I have naturally big legs and by doing 3x5 for a year I reached T-rex mode but now I am starting to even them out.

open google
write "good workout routines for beginners"

voila.

if you are too damn lazy to actually care, my advice
if you are fat fuck - run more than you lift weights.
if you are a skinny dweeb - run and lift weights. look at people who do seemingly the heaviest shit (not some one-arm curls), do the same, but with less weight.

Yep. What up.

just wanted to bullshit about systems, numbers etc.
Anyone know a solution for keeping lower back straight while sumo deadlift? I can lift 405 but it rounds from 280 upwards

You should read books. Reputable ones by people like stoppannini. Don't be afraid to use less weight when it means having proper form and reducing chances of injury. Developing a good exercise and diet routine is something you're probably only going to be able to pull ofg by trial, error, and studying.

i see where you are coming from now. i would suggest adding in bw exercises. maybe doing them first, then cardio. this way you are helping a variety of muscles and joints by increasing their strength or endurance. doing even one additional workout- something such as sets of burpees then going running can add that much more of a benefit to your overall goals.

the way you described your diet it sounds pretty on point for where you are at with things. just try to keep windows open for meals daily. when i was on a cut for 6 months (not long at all, i know) i ate every 2-3 hours. my consumption consisted mainly of fats and protein. i cut out a lot of sugar and carbs so i could get into ketosis. i wouldn't have recovered as fast as i did if i ate only 3 meals a day. lack of sugar and carbs plus wokring out takes a toll.

also i suggest if you supplement, a multivitamin may be the best option vs buying protein or pre workout. otherwise spend that money on real foods and don't supplement at all. i like how you reserach before going to the gym. most people seem to use the gym membership as an excuse to even start working out. like we can just workout at home for fuckin free PLUS learn abotu what to do before we even join a gym.

stfu you skip leg day cause you are lazy. you use your big legs as an excuse. should i only work my limbs cause i have a big gut? don't you get it user.
>its not just about size it's about shape as well as performance.

What was your starting weight? How tall are you and all that shit?

Agree that cardio is not best overall work out. I use the 5x5 Strong app. It's free, it's great. His videos and text instructions are a big help.
Important thing is to stick with it.
Good luck!

Here you go:
stronglifts.com/5x5
Download his free app.

Awesome! Thanks!

Is calorie counting something good to do?

Funny that you should mention body weight exercises. I wasn't thinking about that but I have a tendency to do a variety of them throughout the day, including burpees. I generally do them when I need to get started on something and I'm tired. I have a pretty sedentary life style and the body weight exercises scattered throughout the day seem to help my energy levels.

I took weight training for two years in high school and actually learned quite a bit about lifting, exercise, and nutrition. It seems to line up with the fit sticky pretty well too. My teacher always stressed diversifying the types of exercise you do. Various types of cardio, circuit training, resistance training, lifting for maximum strength gain but also lifting for muscular endurance sometimes, etc...

I also take a variety of supplements. Multivitamin, b-complex (one of the ones with methyltetrahydrafolate and other "active" forms of the assorted b's), some extra zinc for maximum volume of ejaculate and immune system buffing, l-arginine to lower blood pressure (which increased a bit from the weight gain and my concerta) and for the sexual benefits. That's in addition to varying my protein sources, vegetables, and fruits that I eat. Multivitamins don't always have the micronutrients in forms that can be effectively absorbed by the body so gotta make sure diet gives you an opportunity to get those nutrients at least sometimes.

I'm 6 feet tall and 183 pounds right now. I was 195 a few months ago. I use to be 165 with a body fat percentage of about 10%, but college and a multiyear spat of alcoholism and hedonism messed that up.

Quit and do some real sport.
L

I have a heart condition, so unfortunately I can't do sports. I used to be in wrestling, but then I got fucked

What do you want to achieve? Getting lean and fit is something different then getting bulky and massive.
Going 5 days a week is extreme for beginners and would require a careful workout routine geared towards your indivudal fitness level to not overwork the muscles. Also you would need a good nutrition plan.
My advice would be, just go there three times a week at the beginning. Familiarize yourself with the basic workouts like squats, deadlifts, bench-presses and so on.
You don't need a carefully crafted workout routine at your stage because basically anything you do right now will make your muscles grow. So for the first few months, try to learn to do the workouts correctly, learn to "feel" your muscles so you get an idea which workouts work best for your body type and try not to overwork yourself.
If you have done that you can start with the more advanced stuff

This is how you go to gym:
get membership. Go to gym 8 times. Never return. Forget to cancel the membership for 2 years. Get fat. Return this cycle every 4 years the rest of your live.
You are welcome!

Try shadow boxing/mma to mix in with bw stuff. Gets your body acclimated to having an auto-defense mode if a "situation" occurs.

i disagree partly. we need to focus on footwork and basic form first. just throwing in a stance is a bad solution.

Fuck yeah dude this is what I was waiting for