Jazz AOTY

2017 has been a great year for jazz. What are your favorite releases of the year?

Certainly not that fucking vijay iyer bull shit.

Well then what is?

This, fuck Vijay Iyer, soulless pooinloo trust fund baby

What exactly do you dislike about the music? Or do you just dislike Vijay Iyer as a person?

They just dislike it because it's popular on Sup Forums. I gaurentee you they haven't even listened to a jazz album from the last year, including Vjay.

Is it even that popular on Sup Forums? I only saw it posted a couple other times and that was in the two weeks right after it was released.

Vijay is a fucking poser.

Matt Mitchell's Forage is brilliant.

Jazzthreadguy rated it highly and people hate him for knowing more about Jazz then they do.

see

I thought this album was really fucking good and I haven't liked much if Iyer's previous stuff. I'm wondering if the people hating so much on Iyer have even heard it or if they only listened to one track or something.

Other things from this year I've liked:
Nate Wooley - Syllables
Michaël Attias Quartet - Nerve Dance
Roscoe Mitchell - Bells for the Southside
Matthias Müller - Solo Trombone
Yosvany Terry - Ancestral Memories
Eric Revis - Sing Me Some Cry
Craig Taborn - Daylight Ghosts
Noah Kaplan - Cluster Swerve
Trio 3 - Visiting Texture
Mario Pavone - Vertical

Nice list. The Michael Attias and Eric Revis are on my list to check out.

bump

JazzThreadGuy likes the most generic shit.

Pitchfork reviewed it

>heh... uh... I'm not Jazzthreadguy btw but... that guy is intelligent and great!

Opinions on the new Tim Berne album?

Yeah his music is goddamn boring too, that kinda goes without saying. A soulless scenester.

>goddamn boring
is that really the best you can do?

kek trying to get people on this board to actually talk about music is like pulling teeth. people here only care about image.

Fuck off rockists

Does anybody here care about modern jazz that ISN'T free jazz? Free jazz can be cool sometimes but a lot of the modern stuff that I've heard just sounds like they put zero effort into it and just make some noise in the studio because they know that the critics will praise it as long as it's free jazz.

A lot of free jazz is poseur jazz even rockist jazz.

Modern jazz without any sense or hint of free jazz in them are pretty limited usually but yeah there is a lot of lazy and self-important free jazz out there too. And there's some truth to what you say about critics that are afraid to criticize free jazz. They're afraid of being the one who doesn't "get it."