youtube.com/watch?v=hCQhNIIJk-k
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Fragile
Foxtrot
Selling England by the pound
Anything by 60s-70s King Crimson besides Starless and Bible Black

Renaissance - Ashes are Burning

Thanks,already listen to King Crimson

whats wrong with starless and bible black. thats an amazing album too. Fracture is one of the best KC songs.

Thick As A Brick

some modern "70s style" prog if you're interested
>steven wilson - the raven that refused to sing
>cosmograf - the hay-man dreams
>mystery - delusion rain
>airbag - disconnected
>gazpacho - demon

Shame that not a single person has mentioned ELP. Tarkus is my favorite prog album, and the main track is like all the best parts of Yes distilled into one piece.

wtf, starless and bible black is great, I'd recommend starless before islands or lizard

Check out the rest of their discography, if you really liked Close to the Edge check out Relayer and Tales from Topographic Oceans(their best album imo). The Yes Album and Fragile are great too but they're not on the same level as those 3, Going for the One and Tormato are worth a listen but you can see some decline in quality. Time and a Word and Drama are pretty underrated too.

After that, there's nothing worth checking out tbqh, stay away from anything after Drama.

The Ladder is great though

I mean, it's not a good album. But the Tarkus, the piece, is a masterpiece

>some modern "70s style" prog
neo prog isn't prog

The text is close to the edge of the album cover.

Starless IS great but it sounds nothing like Yes

You're retarded. Islands is one of the best KC albums and Lizard is great too. SBB has no musical cohesiveness whatsoever, so of course contrarian retards on Sup Forums would love it.

Haven't listened to much ELP but I fucking love Tarkus

Check out the band Camel from the 70's

Not really being contrarian, being contrarian would be saying it's was one of the greatest KC albums. It's not. +Lizard and Islands being meh is literally popular opinion so idk where you're getting this contrarian shit from. Some of the songs on there feel really uncohesive though, I'll agree. The Title track and Trio are boring garbage and We'll let you know is just okay, but I always look forward to hearing the rest of the songs.

Since this is pretty much a progressive rock thread, what you guys think of Steven Wilson's remixes of old progressive rock albums?(Yes, King Crimson, Jehtro Tull, Gentle Giant).

I have only listened to the Yes remixes so far, and i think they're pretty good, what have you guys listened to?

Genesis is the only big 70s prog band I haven't been able to get into

I haven't been able to find much modern prog that isn't really derivative of 70s stuff. I tried listening to that one Cardiacs album but hated it

Jethro Tull for sure

Both the Jethro Tull and Gentle Giant remixes are dope, especially Songs From the Wood and Octopus. Didn't know he also worked on Yes's albums. I might check that out.

Yeah he made a remix of The Yes Album, Relayer, CTTE and TFTO, i think they're great, especially Yes Album and TFTO, definitely worth checking out

I guess they're not for everyone. Songs like Firth of a Fifth and Out By Friday tend to drag

Literally nothing comes close to CTTE in style or greatness. You can try Frances the Mute though, may not be your thing.

Well, there's a lot of progressive rock out there I don't know which kind you'd like but Steve Hackett the former guitarist of Genesis started his solo career and he has some good tracks! Here's some my favourite artists; The Moody Blues, Nektar, Strawbs and of course members from Yes have their own solo stuff, Chris Squire, Steve Howe, Rick Wakeman. Check them out ^^

link to a standout track?

i bought this on vinyl from a flea market back in august because my dad said it was good. Am I in for a treat?

same - serious long time prog fan here and love the more difficult shit, but genesis never could get my attention.

All KC is fantastic, but for pure noodle perfection, three of a perfect pair is sublime.

all that said, I think Mars Volta are perfection of the form.

youtube.com/watch?v=hCQhNIIJk-k
Hmh, I'd go with that but also: Steve Hackett - Spectral Mornings

Check out Gentle Giant. Very similar to yes

Fantastic album, but that's the peak. Don't expect any other prog recs to be better.

I mean, I guess...

Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts
Renaissance - Scheherazade and Other Stories

No, actually it isn't, especially if you haven't heard this stuff before. God I remember when I discovered prog rock for the first time, every classic (and even not-so-classic) record was like fucking manna from heaven. So much melodicism, so much drama, so much actual thought and care and genuine desire to make great music behind EVERY SINGLE ALBUM. CTTE is just one artifact in the vault of treasure that was early 70s prog. To think it all happened just about 5 years after Sgt Peppers.

They really had a desire to bring music further and further, didn't they? Comparing The Yes Album to Fragile - you can easily notice that, Fragile has these very classical song constructions, while TYA is a lot more standard so to speak. They really wanted to incorporate things from other styles of music and make rock more and more complex, something beyond psychedelia, even.