How to tell If I'm addicted to nicotine?

How to tell If I'm addicted to nicotine?

I don't crave it but I started chewing at work to get the mild buzz when we had down time and things would get boring. Then I started doing it when stressed out. I'd feel the same about situations regardless but wound up thinking to myself lately "man, a dip would really take the edge off this." I mean I could go indefinitely with out, I never crave it, it just seems to help at times.

Any one else start out like this? Wondering if should quit before getting hooked, or as long as it's like 1 can a month not worry about it.

inb4 every one tells me how disgusting it is and I'm going to loose all my teeth.

I feel you I started at work too (a jail) then when I was bored or stress than everyday. Eventually I always had one in an would get want one. Stopped buying and using cause A. its expensive once it's a tin every few days and B. Realized a Latino that chews is ridiculous.

Kind of how I figured it happens, thankfully I changed around on jobs and have been keeping it a secrete from my girlfriend so I'd never do it at home to start with. I was doing a can a week back the beginning of the year, then changed jobs and quit for a while, then started up again last week and got to wondering.

If you were hooked you'd feel it after a couple of hours. You typically become fidgety, and easily irritated.

That's kind of how I am all the time since before I even tried anything with nicotine... maybe that's why I'm on and off so much, the withdraw symptoms isn't noticeable with my normal demeanor

Stop fucking your sister you hick

I started smoking when I was sixteen. I'm now eighteen and I still smoke but not as much. When I was at my worst I smoked 5-6 cigarettes a day but now it's more like 4-5 cigarettes a week

We discussed that addiction in another thread. On to the real issues.

consider harm reduction tactics. nicotine in itself isn't THAT bad for you. it has the same consequences as most other stimulants.

nicotine gum is pretty good, and it's something you have in your mouth so it hits that same sort of thing in your brain.

vaping offers a lot of choice in regard to strength, and its cheap as fuck. it's pretty fucking gay but who fucking cares.

You got a problem with that nigger?

welcome to addictionsville
population: you

You should quit with dip. try Snus instead!

I tried vaping, but reason I went with chew instead of that or smoking is the discreetness at work. A lot is in doors/no smoking areas (which includes blowing clouds of vape out) and can easily be done while I continue working.

Also when I was around people who didn't vape they bitched, when I was around people who did vape... "bro is that just like an old lady pen? bro you gotta get a 55ohm, 22 gauge, 280,volt, 400watt mechanical back feed steam punk set up if you want any sensation or flavor out of that bro."

You likely always get withdrawals but most people aren't in tune enough with their bodies to recognize it. I can tell the difference between before and after i have nicotine withdrawals. You get very minor ones even off one chew or a few smokes

treat it like smoking. do it outside if people are bothered, and just don't give a fuck about people who jerk their dicks over having the "fattest clouds"

try nicotine gum. it hits you as fast as dip does, but it releases more slowly since it's trapped in the gum. i knew a dude who would chew it for exams and shit in college.

Theres some amazing vape mods. I honestly think thats half the appeal to people. But when it comes down to brass tax everyone cares more about how smooth it rips rather than how much you spent and made your mod for. Anyone who says otherwise is a faggot

Just looked up what it actually was, swallowing it just seems off to me ...

The gum is tempting. I feel like I'll get addicted through gum instead of quitting anything.

I'm doing it on a "feels good man" level right now so I'm pretty sure I could quit.

Haven't had one in 24 hours and I'm not bored at work or stressed about anything so I have no temptation to even bother.

brass tacks.

"A theory is that it comes from the brass tacks in the counter of a hardware store or draper’s shop used to measure cloth in precise units (rather than holding one end to the nose and stretching out the arm to approximately one yard)."

the more u know!

Yea often people who smoke alot have higher stress levels and whos to say if that is a cause or an effect of smoking. I often wonder if being stressed is what is required to start addiction to smoking.

Should have been more like rule of wrist, am I right?

Thanks didnt know that

yeah, the point i'm trying to get across to you is that if you're going to fuck with it, you might as well do it in a safer way.

like, if you're going to use painkillers, you should probably use oxy's rather than banging street heroin, you know what i mean?

using something like nicotine gum or a vape gives you the benefits of nicotine without the mouth cancer risk.

also, dunno how much you know about chemistry, but tobacco has other chemicals in it, like MAOI's which are effectively antidepressants. the problem is that if you get addicted to nicotine, its not so bad because it's pretty safe long term, but if you get addicted to the other compounds in tobacco you're fucked because you're not going to get those anywhere else.

I don't even want to say stress but anxiety thing...

Oh shit I have to deal with new people and fill out forms....a dip would take the edge off this, although I rarely indulge since that would involve having one in while filling out paper work for a job or such.

Maybe I should just go get a script for Xanax already.

Good to know. I'm kind of planning on finishing this can and not buying another in the immediate future anyway.

Ironically due to the social anxiety that comes with actually talking to the person behind the counter at the gas station.

Anxiety is stress pretty much though. The more anxious you are about something the more stress you put yourself under. Like I have used different drugs to "take the edge off" in social situations cause i have social anxiety. Took me awhile to move past it and act semi-normal when i meet people

You don't swallow it. You put it under your upper lip and throw it away when you've had enough nicotine.

I have an American friend that used dip, but he is totally addicted to Snus now. It gives alot of nicotine and it's really tidy, no mess like dip.

You should order a box and try it, worth it. I recommend the brand "06".

Yea snus is dip that isn't annoying or hard to get into (often times i hear of first chew stories where people swallow some and lose their lunch)

is this bad for health btw? I always wanted to try.

I saw it in the stores, I believe camel makes a variant, it was in a small refrigerator at the counter too with "sold cold" on it, that threw me off a little too.

To clarify what I was reading on it said the juices can be swallowed, which I learned when using regular dip, is a bad time.

best of luck my dude. i'd advise against the benzo prescription. if you're worried about nicotine addiction, benzos aren't another ballgame, they're a different fucking sport.

the withdrawals will literally cause you to die if you do it too abruptly. don't fuck with benzos if you don't have to.

not trying to be your mom or anything, i've just been in a similar position to you, and i got an amphetamine script for ADHD, which "helped out".

turns out that using drugs to treat mental stuff like anxiety and depression doesn't fix the problem. the drugs are just a crutch, and you become reliant on them and being on drugs becomes your new normal.

if i could go back i wouldn't have started antidepressants and amphetamines.

Yes, instead of lung cancer you get mouth and throat cancer.

read the side of the can lmao

I've kicked around the amphetamine script idea as well, more so to better perform at work when its not boring, and to stay up drinking till the break of dawn like I did 10 years ago with out stimulants.

the problem with amphetamines is that they "steal your soul" if that means anything to you. talk to anyone that uses regularly they'll know what you mean.

when you first start out you feel warm and motivated and it's really fucking sweet, and after about three weeks the euphoria wears off but the motivation is still there, and then after about a year you notice that if you don't take the amphetamines you'll just lay around all day and not do anything.

you start relying on amphetamines to provide motivation, because otherwise you are unable to get anything done. and at that point you've effectively rewired your brain. there's no way i'm getting off amphetamines now, they're way too useful, but man i really wish i hadn't started.

if you don't have ADHD before you start taking amphetamines, you'll sure as fuck give it to yourself after using them long enough.

they release dopamine, which is what your brain releases when you clean up your house or get a promotion or whatever. the logic is that some people don't get this dopamine reward normally, so amphetamines let them get that reward and bypass the brain. the problem is that if your brain worked normally before, your brain will quit making dopamine on its own because the amphetamine replaces it. and then you're fucked.

You can grow hair on your tongue, your teeth still discolor, your front lip will become soft and unresponsive and you have the potential (500x greater than those who never chew compared to those who chew weekly) of getting mouth and throat cancer. These cancers can cause lots of bad shit and if they spread can cause brain cancer which is incurable.

Soo back to alcoholism is it.

do what you wanna do man, you only learn through experience after all. life is hell i hope you get it figured out.

I get what you mean, it is only nicotine and spit tho.. There has been alot of studies of snus in my country since so many use it, even kids use it.

But the spit/nicotine does not come close to harmful a cigarette is by comparison. Snus is like what you say, it puts the edge on things, and seriosly, eveything is better with snus.

Wathcing a movie, better get a snus, drinking coffee, better get a snus, drinking beer, better get 10 snus

A friend of mine did that the first time he tried snus, same result

Happened to me the first times I tried it, threw up.
But I still continued doing it which sounds fucking stupid and now I have to buy a new box every 2 days, and it is 12$.....

Its really better in every way, some want it to be advertised as an alternative to smokes if you wanna quit, but the head if the country where im from hates all tobaco equally so its not gonna happen

Shit every two days?! Im at a box a week and ive been doing it since middle school

Yeah, every 2 days.. I started with snus in middle school too

Svensk?