Are computer engineers smarter than mathematicians?

Are computer engineers smarter than mathematicians?

No, they're better at computer engineering though.

How are mathematicians smarter?

what you do has nothing to do with your intelligence there could be a janitor or police officer smarter than a nobel prize mathematician

IN GENERAL here. Cops in general are pretty fucking stupid, as there is hardly any barrier to entry.

true
but I think he means like if you had to pick between someone with high iq and someone with higher iq
which would you choose to be a computer engineer and which a mathematician

even when im not well enough aquainted with any of those
if we are talking about your garden variety mathematician then probably the computer engineer
but if you are talking about a mathematician who works in research (assuming he is good enough for the job) then he definetly has a much harder job with way more calculations and concepts to master

top hat looking asssssssssssss, gtfo

I'm both. You are asking a social statistics question so it requires a formal study to produce any kind of useful answer. On its face value, neither can be considered smarter because the measure of intelligence can be field-specific . The engineer could be just as puzzled by aspects of number theory as the mathematician could be puzzled by sorting optimization strategies.

More interesting to me is why you would ask this question at all.

I ask because I'm curious which one is harder. I'm going to college soon and I want to be known as Mr. Smart guy.

I've seen many mathematics students tutoring engineering students of all trades, but never the other way around.

Computer science is applied mathematics.
Computer engineering is applied computer science.
Computer programming is applied computer engineering.
Application analysis is applied computer programming.

And define "smarter".

Math/Physics are the holy grail of complexity and they are the building blocks of science and engineering.

pseudo intellectual you will never make it through the hours and hours it takes to learn it if you have no interest in it. people can tell when your faking interest in it and it looks more pathetic than if you were talentless but honest

Well, no shit... Engineering majors learn math too, so they will need to be taught it. Math majors do not learn engineering.

Neil Degrasse Tyson got his Ph.D in astrophysics just so he could be known as smart.

No he fuckin didnt, you dont go through that much work just to be known as smart. sure some people who are good at math and science like being known at smart but thats not what fuels most of their passion for it

You're thinking about engineering courses in the wrong way. Engineering is math applied to the real world. A competent mathematician could handle just about any engineering course. Basically any engineering course you can take is math-heavy, aside from engineering business, or engineering process courses.

I'm the "both" guy. Sadly I was hoping for a more introspective answer.

I will advise that you learn to cook. The ladies love a good cook.

I think it's the opposite. Engineering is math-heavy, so an engineer would know a good amount of it. But it is not JUST math in engineering. You learn a good bit of physics, which is math-based, but has a physical intuition and uncertainty which math people aren't always good at. I think the average physics student could do better in math, than a math student could in the opposite situation. Same goes for engineers and math.

Math people stick to their core logical number systems, and don't branch out much.

I meant for

OP, getting a degree to look like a smart guy is overrated.

in a few months I'll hold:
BS Computer Engineering
BS Computer Science
BA Physics
MS Computer Science
- Focus in Data Science/Machine Learning

While I'm near the top in terms of academic rigor for my schooling it doesn't mean shit unless you have a genuine love for what you do. People see right through it.

What I've learned is that extremely talented mathematicians can apply their problem solving abilities to most engineering problems, it's nuts. I know a home-schooled math whiz who is one of the best programmers in the country and is such because of how much he loooooves math.

It sounds stupid, but go into a STEM field that you actually enjoy. It'll be easier to prepare yourself for success because it won't feel like work 100% of the time.

Define "smarter". There are many different kinds of intelligence. I don't really know how comparable the intelligence of two people in completely different fields are. It would vary on a case by case basis as to who has superior intelligence in any given field, not to mention trying to compare intelligence across different fields. There's a smart half-answer to your dumb question, OP.

apples and oranges. material vs abstract. depends on the person. Computer engineers impact is easier to see everyday. But to get that impact from them we need people doing heavy lifting on calculation theorems

/thread/

I'm just curious, what is your job?

Student - still finishing the degrees.

Decided I didn't really like data science/AI/ML too much so I'm just interviewing for Software Engineering jobs at startups in the bay area for now.

Have worked as a software engineer both as an intern and part time.

That's not what you do when you study maths. All the maths that you study in engineering is only one field of many that we have in maths, and most of them have absolutely nothing to do with calculus. And btw you study physics aswell when you take maths at uni. I studied maths in uni for five years, and I took exams of mechanic, thermodynamic, electromagnetism, astrophysics and quantum physics.
About op's question, intelligence is not to easily defined and tbh University is full of self absorbed idiots.

Physicists are

>engineering courses
>nothing to do with calculus

Mech eng student here. This is complete bullshit.

That's not what I was saying. I was saying that in maths you study a ton of stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with calculus and is not basic logic.

bruv the highest lvl of math is calculus what a retard!!!!

You have to try harder than that if you want to bait me.