If you do not read books you are an ignorant fool sucking on the teets of modernity

If you do not read books you are an ignorant fool sucking on the teets of modernity.

If you are not living a life guided by ideas you are living a life guided by momentary impulses and confused sensations.

If you do not read, or if you read badly, you will never know a good idea from a bad one.

wow dude, Sup Forums is the best place to post about self-making.
good idea! you will influence a lot of people!

Read badly? What if I read goodly? Also too much info, boil it down to something this kids can remember. Then try again.

Examples of reading badly:

reading Wikipedia
reading Spark Notes
reading only authors from this or that political view
reading to reinforce existing beliefs and find facts to help win verbal arguments
reading too quickly and carelessly
reading without remembering argument structure

>Says I, the poster of countryside-posing qt

OP is a librarian faggot.

If you actually start reading heavily, you'll get to a point in a couple of years where it drives a wedge into your friendships.

People will become annoyed with you for having so many opinions and knowing more than them. People will become annoying to you for not caring about the things you care about.

It's something you have to learn to deal with. People considering you uncool is part of that. Fortunately being cool ceases to matter as one becomes an adult.

Obviously, some reads are better than other.

that's why you practice stoicism and hide your power level

also I read a bunch and i've become more understanding of others, before I used to judge and speak poorly of others. now i keep my opinions to myself

>you are an ignorant fool sucking on the teets of modernity.
>ignorant
>teets
>teets
>teets

Yes I am.
So what?

Literature elitists are the reason why books costs so much nowadays

You would be amazed how far 20 bucks goes at a good used bookstore.

Yeap! You're a faggot and an old one.

>reading Wikipedia
if you're pressed on time or requiring basic understanding of a well-known subject, it's a fast and effective source
>reading Spark Notes
again, if you are short on time or just want to know basics behind some literary work, this is useful
>reading only authors from this or that political view
yes this is bad
>reading to reinforce existing beliefs and find facts to help win verbal arguments
i don't think many people read BOOKS for this purpose, mostly just articles and shorter works
>reading too quickly and carelessly
in theory this should be true, but too many authors waste words. Reading quickly and digesting the core idea without being muddled down by the prose is also useful
>reading without remembering argument structure
this doesnt mean anything. you're just saying that people should pay attention to what they're reading, and trying to make it sound more profound

26... used to browse Sup Forums when I was 18/19 (and a non-reading plebe who could barely articulate his anxiety about being in the world as it is)... I like to come back and pretend I'm talking to my younger self sometimes.

Or online. I got 3 of Bukowski's novels for $12 total off of there.

Op your fucking pathetic
>If you do not read books you are an ignorant fool sucking on the teets of modernity.
Outdated media
>If you are not living a life guided by ideas you are living a life guided by momentary impulses and confused sensations.
generic statement trying to sound like op has some wisdom but comes out as gargles from all that cum
>If you do not read, or if you read badly, you will never know a good idea from a bad one
also not true my gut told me op was a cock sucking fgt

I'll grant that Wikipedia can be harmless if used sparingly and occasionally, and so long as one is aware of how prevalent ideological and propogandistic articles are.

>this doesnt mean anything. you're just saying that people should pay attention to what they're reading, and trying to make it sound more profound

No. I certainly try to sound profound sometimes, but I save that stuff for my writing, not for Sup Forums posts.

When you read certain types of text (like philosophy or a political essay), you need to make it a habit to understand the argument structure and not just the final conclusions. You want to be able to hear a book/essay title/writer and readily be able to describe the major argumentative steps they make. For example, you don't want to just remember that "Marx believed the proletariat would inevitably cease power in revolution." You want to remember that "Marx was a materialist historian who viewed ideas as a direct byproduct of the means of production, and that certain contradictions in capitalist production necessarily result in contradictions in ideology that lead to class revolution."

Something like that, anyways. You at least have to catalog the major influences of writers you study, and the major intellectual footholds (like materialism) they may have relied on.

Having a bit of green text to read for every bit of red text someone writes doesn't mean anything.

your problem is you always have to have an opinion and you cant let people just rant about what they want to rant about
pick your fights u dont have to fight over the correct spelling of your every time u god dam pathetic piece of shit

its christmas niga get into the spirit fgt

I think the way Christmas is currently "celebrated" basically entails doing things that Jesus, whose birth we are supposedly celebrating, would have strongly desired we not do at all.

I don't imagine Jesus being particularly thrilled about employees working overtime on Christmas so companies can make money. I don't think Jesus would like parents stressing out over how to shower their unappreciative bratlings with gifts they don't deserve. I don't think Jesus would advocate buying someone a 1,000 dollar iPhone when such money could feed a family for a year.

Christmas somehow became a holiday devoted to worshiping the Golden Calf, which is extremely ironic (and not in a delightful way, but in a terribly sad way).

why would i read a book, writen by someone else, when i'm drastically more intelligent than any one to have ever wrote one? also fuck off.

>hates non-readers
>can't even spell teat correctly

Nigger you're pathetic beyond belief. You were probably molested by male member of your family. Uncle maybe...I doubt that you had a father around.

t(e)(e)ts

is that really the best you could do? I wrote "cease" instead of "seize" for Christ's sake.