How hard is it to build a modern computer from scratch? I mean from fucking scratch

How hard is it to build a modern computer from scratch? I mean from fucking scratch.

What do I need?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2IecNbQNU1M
henderson.chbe.gatech.edu/Introductions/microlithography intro.htm
adafruit.com/product/3065?gclid=CjwKCAiAx57RBRBkEiwA8yZdUJHNcIjIRTW05Runno3n8IIB-FtCjtfID_6NgmcCr1qCCX6gOhmrgxoCUqQQAvD_BwE
3.14.by/en/read/homemade-cpus
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

some chinamen

logicalincrements.com

Great site, builds for all budgets.

Not possible

like get all parts or build the literal parts?
get parts around 400 should do for decent rig. from actual scratch i figure a few thousand at least

Like an arm and whatever.

I did it once as a kid but that's been like 20 years.

What do you mean by modern? It's not possible by anything considered modern since the late 70s.

Well it is. There's no reason why you can't just spin some boards that run whatever hardware you want.

It will never be IMPOSSIBLE.

Though it could take like a few years.

you cant build it from literal scratch fuckface

Really really really really hard.

Unless you have some experience in the industry, in the concepts, the technology etc, you won't do it.

>ITT IMPOSSIBURU
>I KNOW WHY. IM NOT A NECKBEARDS.

youtube.com/watch?v=2IecNbQNU1M

Literally millions of transistors if you want it to approach modern performance. You'll either have to wire each one up yourself or buy/build a laser that can cut around 23nm and laser cut them onto silicon chips

>Though it could take like a few years.

And cost hundreds of thousands if not tens of millions or more in tools. You try cranking out a motherboard, or more impossibly a CPU/GPU in your garage.

They have kits with those raspberry pi boards and screens and shit.

No logical reason that you can't do that yourself with an auto-flow or just one piece at a time.

Why would that be impossible?

sand , copper, silver, gold, plastic, steel,glass

i guess all computer parts just phase into existence then. i want some ram
>ram just magically appears
woo

Wait are you OP?

Are you talking about constructing a processor from scratch, or just building a fucking computer from scratch?

That's not
>from fucking scratch

Platinum

Lol u will never ever get started on builds ng OP, just customize yours if you want

Just have one-offs commissioned by a different company.

I bet it wouldn't be that much. Maybe like 3-6 gs.

If it's just because you want to and you have the cash.

TBH Something i would totally do again... But i'm a massive CS nerd and have been since i was like 3.

Guys, I mean from SCRATCH. Like designing the microprocessor myself and shit.

Taking pure metal and silicone or whatever, and making a fucking computer with it.

From scratch - as in even having to gather the raw materials, make the tools to make the parts... etc.. next to zero, nearly impossible.

a lot of money

its impossible OP. Do some research on integrated circuit fabrication. I went to school for computer engineering for 4 years and there's still a 0 percent chance I could do it. You need access to hundreds of millions of dollars of machinery and tools that you could only ever have if you were a giant company. And the only companies who implement CPUs with integrated circuits are tech mega giants and there's like 3 or 4 of them. Microchip, Intel, Amd, ARM. The size of each transistor on your processor is about 30 nanometers. Requires machines that can "carve" transistors that are that small. SO small that the wavelength of light used to "Carve" it is actually too big. Think of the light as a knife, and imagine trying to carve a circle smaller than the hairline width of the blade. They hire experts in quantum physics to provide special masks that scatter the light such that the inteded circuit can be carved because the ray of fucking light is too big to be able to do it normally.

Okay now that's cleared up, it's almost impossible for an individual.

You know why there's only 2 companies in the mainstream CPU industry?

Cause it's fucking hard.

Were you dropped as a baby?

Not OP.

But you could be able to blueprint and have one dyed if you wanted to.

OF course having a factory doing it for you would be the way to do that. He could open up a company that does that himself EVENTUALLY.

But yeah by all practical standpoints that's not really feasible.

> from scratch
> I mean from fucking scratch.
The first thing you will need is stone tools. Sharpen a rock on another rock to get an edge. With a sharpened rock you can chip away a small tree to get a solid stick to make an axe.
Using an axe, you can begin harvesting lumber and cordage to make pens and fences. You will also need a hoe. A simple lean-to will provide you shelter for the first weeks while you construct pens and fences for the agriculture you will need to sustain yourself during your technological progression.

if you tried to do it by yourself, youd be creating something from circa 1960s/1970s, without millions in dies and tooling/technology youd be building it out of capacitors and chips big enough to work on by hand. Its impossible.

Imagine a CME leading to an impact with Earth causing a cascading EMP to wipe out all that we have created these past 100 years.

get some knowledge in microlithography/micro architecture

Go to google fag, most info there. And i less cared how to build it from scratch and thinks most fags in Sup Forums also. Just customized it

Gotta have computers to make computers.

Pick up a couple of books on optic lithography, however the equipment for making processors out of silicon dies is expensive. The other parts of the process can't be cheap either.

Well that's kind of the thing isn't it?

Can you not just build a big ass retarded MP?

Not quite that easy. In fact if alone the chance for survival is incredibility low let alone making any meaningful progress toward making a computer.

You need a laser that can oxidize silicon at a scale of a few tens of nanometers, or you need an absurd number of transistors to wire together

>open a company
So make a multi billion dollar company to make a computer from scratch for a hobby project. KYS

You play to much minecraft.

>Play Minecraft IRL

boron, phosphorus, copper, palladium, nickel, tin (lots of tin), silver,...

No, because patents.
Know why there's a hundred fabless semiconductor companies that make ARM chips, all just a little different? Downloadable IP cores.

ARM doesn't even have a fab. They just sublicense their IP.

shoulda saved it offline, kek

They don't even make anything by hand anymore. Even the most steady hands in the world can't make a CPU. The design it with computers and machines create it.

>I wouldn't do it.

KYS

This, it would be a mammoth task to build a retro style motherboard with huge transistors and capacitors, but it WOULD be feasible, compared to trying to reproduce something modern.

henderson.chbe.gatech.edu/Introductions/microlithography intro.htm

its like making a peanut butter jelly sandwich, just follow the instruction. just like that time in your life you didn't know how to make a sammie, its okay OP everyone learns at there own time.

What else do you want the computer to do?

Like, a "modern" computer. Do you mean the whole package people generally refer to when talking about a computer? A PC with a motherboard, a processor, graphics card, memory, hard drive, that you could install Windows 7 on and browse the internet, do work, and play recent games on it?

There are many many many secret magnetically shielded vaults in the world with all of these types of things, would be retarded not to think they exist.

read the thread he means from scratch

You should consider a different ambition.

>calls someone stupid
>is actually the stupid one.

Yes, exactly. And I want to build the OS myself too.

Start here.
adafruit.com/product/3065?gclid=CjwKCAiAx57RBRBkEiwA8yZdUJHNcIjIRTW05Runno3n8IIB-FtCjtfID_6NgmcCr1qCCX6gOhmrgxoCUqQQAvD_BwE

Then just embellish the idea and eventually map your own system out.

you could build any computer prior to PCB sandwiching yourself I think.

Dude have you read the thread at all?

You can't do it.

OP IS TONY STARK
>op is autistic and delusional

Kek

No one got your modernity vs contemporary joke.

You need to get a mistical skill developer OP. First u needed to have a miner job then grind it to advance level, an alchemist with master level, a scientist master level, a engineer on advance level, a intelligent with over 200points, patience 50. Then do all related skills same time to get a mystic developer skill

Honestly you'd have infinitely better luck training a pig to become a chess champion.

Believe it or not, I actually built a quantum computer.

Lol no we got it. Just it's not a huge nerd joke.

No one cared.

Scratch.

Like....SCRATCH.

OK:

Find yourself a place with lots of natural resources: you’ll need trees and iron first. Learn how to make fire and nap some flint into sharp rocks. Now you can start building a furnace. Then get to digging or scooping up mud with iron ore. When you’ve got your iron ore: smelt it in the furnace. Between the pig iron you’ve got and your sucky clay furnace: upgrade until you can make proper iron tools. Now start mining properly.

Next, you’re going to need some silica, you know, sand. You’re going to need it for lenses first. Oh, almost forgot: to do any of the later parts you’ll need a deep understanding of chemistry, chemical engineering, optics, mechanical engineering, geology, and quantum mechanics. See, you’re going to need a bunch of silicon, boron, some other rare earth elements, hydrofluoric acid, and petroleum. Oh, shit...right...you’re going to need to build a refinery. Then figure out how to make plastics as will.

Dammit....I forgot copper, lithium, and probably a bunch of other stuff to make wire and batteries. Huh, shit....those won’t be any good without power....you’ve got two practical choices their: either use the dinosaur juice you’re refning to build a generator or figure out cement, or at least a decent spindle, and make a dam.

Let’s say you get all that. Now you have to learn how to purify the silicon, dope it with the boron and whatever else, and how to do lithography. Shit, now you’ll need epoxy, and whatever PCBs are made of. Whooops...forgot the solder....go mine some lead.

(see where all this is going? this ain’t even 1/100th of it)

you need to be asian or get an asian employe to do this for you

Pic related will teach you everything you need to know.

So are computer engineers magicians or something? PEOPLE built this shit, right? What the fucking fuck.

I mean. You know people made the arduino and pi and shit.

if you went that sort of level of capacity there's no reason why you couldn't do that really easily.

If thats true then its ok since u 'built' it, OP wants from scratch and make them

Start with a cup of melted butter and rub it all over your dick. This is for scientific reasons. Then watch a 10 minute Youtube video with a 9.5 minute intro and start building.

that's nice dear
you should try just one step in the whole process to see if you can pull it off. write an OS for AVR or something. then get an FPGA board and tooling software, write a simple processor, hook some SRAM up to it, port your OS to it. then pick up the Mentor Graphics suite and lay your chip out, send it off to a fab.
then try to set up your own chip fab and inhale some lethally poisonous gas.

>he hasn't even gone RoHS in his fantasy world

Yes people built them.

Lots of people. Like tons of them.

After many many years of development, research, trial and error and most importantly, MONEY.

One person has absolutely no fucking chance.

see also this annex

Actually people don't make it. billion dollar machines make them that were made by other machines

I never thought I'd see a resonance cascade, much less create one.

Don't forget tooling. Everyone loves tooling.

It would be impossible to make anything more than a basic additon/subtraction calculator or CPU from raw materials by one person in lets say a couple decades. if you want to work with hardware look into ASICs- custom microchips

Yeah that's somewhere mixed in with the money part, and the research and development part where they figured out what the tooling was needed for.

The pi uses already-made components like the ARM processor

>secret
>but everyone knows about them
>things after society breaks down people won't go ape shit
kek

3.14.by/en/read/homemade-cpus

It's relatively simple to build a "computer" if your goal is the bare minimum, transistors making a simple processor that could handle a few basic instructions. It's something you could feasibly do with some education and spending money.

But to make something like a "modern" computer, is a leap you just can't make. Technological progression is a matter of building things to make better things. Extremely complex and delicate technology is required just to make the parts of a computer now. That kind of evolution requires resources that an individual could never really have.

Building a computer from scratch would also involve building a company from scratch, and the chances of successfully being able to amass the resources and research necessary to get there is extremely low. There's not many companies out there which do this and the ones that exist will be an obstacle because they're not going to want competition.

So basically you're fucked.

Start at Silicon Valley and work your way around the sands. That will get you enough money for the rest.
>Silicon is 90% of what a CPU needs to work. Not to mention the MotherBoard.

Yeah companies dont back up all their digital assets. You're right. Literally kys.

have fun trying to pick up, let alone place and make transistors you can barely even see.

You could just tool a jumper and rework it into logic. Like the old Japanese computers ala Sharp x68000.

You would be able to modulate everything to higher capacity and use an idiot CPU untill you could have someone tool the designed probably cell as it stood because i bet it would work the best.

OP please respond telling us you get it, it's too complicated for one individual.

>complete ALUs
>from scratch
>people still unironically do this shit instead of writing CPUs in an HDL

Which were ultimately made by people, but it's an important point that technology is required to make better technology. That's a part of how technological progress works. Another part is learning better methods to make things, or even discovering entirely new things to make that were not thought of before. But to keep making more and more complex, delicate technology, eventually human hands just aren't enough. Tools are needed, and the tools have to get more and more complex and delicate themselves. It all started with the industrial revolution, and now we have machines which operate on a subatomic scale just to build the processors in your PCs, laptops, tablets and phones.

OP's probably gotten couch-locked and tuned in to 3-2-1-Contact or somthing

I don't see why someone can't come up with an ARM all by themself (of course at about 3 times the amount of time that a team might) And then maybe even sell it back to ARM just because they can.

Sir, its too complicated for just one person, we cant do it.

-OP BUILT THIS HIMSELF, IN A CAVE. WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS.

I'm not OP.

>That's a part of how technological progress works
>he still believes in this religion

Go to China. You can get custom chips and boards made for a lot cheaper there. You can even get a custom phone built.

Kek

>this.

What?

So... don't do the building yourself? I guess that's how you build something.

/thread

>custom chips for cheap
I am interested in this newsletter. Tell me more.