Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DjJBdeTsN50
youtu.be/etcfpKNH__Q?t=250
youtu.be/tkPB_k3ks5g?t=1710
youtube.com/watch?v=vNCOG2Roluo
mega.nz/#!tB9yFJZT!U5uOxs1rTeONBQ37IWziOocEb8OSEIhEMDg8WHLa3ig
youtube.com/watch?v=mu6XtWm2Ltg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

LIKE A HOLE IN YOUR HEAD, LIKE THE FEELING YOU GET WHEN YOU REALIZE YOU'RE DEAD THIS TIIIME

Like a walk in the park

Favorite fucking line

Have you heard this version?
youtube.com/watch?v=DjJBdeTsN50

Like a whole in your head

I think Gardenhead / Leave Me Alone is his best song. ITAOTS is a powerhouse of an album, but as for individual songs, it's gotta be that one.

yee, i think i've listened to every version of it. have you heard the version from hype city soundtrack? it's interesting, but the vocals aren't delivered as well

like a feeling you get when you realize this is the superior album

BLISTERING PREEEEEEEE

HEY IS THAT A PHONE

It's up there, but I'd lie if I said it was a better song than "Oh Comely"

I have not, but will check it out. All those fucking melismas during the first minute on the Jittery Joe's version makes it a favorite of mine. The instrumentation/orchestration/arrangements on the studio version is lovely too, of course.

All smiling and swollen

Have you listened to the version from the live at the Side Door 1997 bootleg? I really like that one.

youtu.be/etcfpKNH__Q?t=250

Really nice with some new Jeff Mangum melismas, but I still prefer Jittery Joe's for some reason

Is there anything more pure than the love between a man and a long dead historical figure?

yee, it's fucking rad. thank you for reminding me that it exists

yee, jittery joe's is such a nice fucking performance, I'm a big fan of the early version of Two Headed Boy Pt. 2 on there. It's interesting to hear a song I know so well with slightly different lyrics.

My feeling is that On Avery Island has some better moments (maybe), but ITAOTS is stronger as a whole
no, there isn't

I've recently been listening to Song against Sex a lot. Its one of my favorite tracks by them, among Holland 1945 and Up and Over.

Uuuuuh you guys know what the best "Oh Comely" live performances are?

ITAOTS has the better songs, but On Avery Island takes more risks and has better structure.

THE GARDENHEAD KNOWS MY NAME

I like the World of Wild Beards one.

youtu.be/tkPB_k3ks5g?t=1710

Why do you feel that it has a better structure? And I guess I need to know what you mean by that. I've always felt that ITATOS was a more cohesive album as a whole.

I am glad that you enjoyed it, you should listen to all of Hype City Soundtracks sometime. Honestly, everything put out under the NMH name is either interesting or just plain good. Even the early sound collage stuff is dope, and you can see early versions of NMH songs. Like, on the first tape it's got a song called "Synthetic Flying Machine" which later became "King of Carrot Flowers Pt. 3"

How do you mean better structure? As a whole, ITAOTS is incredibly cohesive as well as diverse – at the same time. Song structure wise, are there tracks on OAI as strong as "Oh Comely", "Two-Headed Boy Pt. 1", etc.?

Don't get me wrong, I think OAI is a really solid record, but ITAOTS is one of the better releases from the 90s and also, finally, a truly great Sup Forumscore album.

Putting it on now.

I'm of age and have no children

>everything put out under the NMH name is either interesting or just plain good
This is my view too. Their "mistakes" are still fine.

Thanks for the recs. This turned out to be a really good thread.

Yee, it really did.

Also, you should check out the 33&1/3 on ITATOS, it really made me fall in love with NMH and the Elephant 6 Collective as a whole. Has a lot of unique insight on the dynamic of the band. Really does improve the listening experience.

Thoughts on Little Birds?

absolutely brilliant, have you heard the way they play it at their last show? With the organ and shit? It's so fucking dope.

youtube.com/watch?v=vNCOG2Roluo
Their last show as a whole is really fucking great, would highly recc

When I saw them live early in 2015, they played it as the encore. It was just Jeff acoustically, and it was really wonderful. Seeing him live he honestly seemed kind of on edge and paranoid, but he still made his songs shine.
Thanks for the rec.

Will do

You have another E6 favorite besides NMH? A guy I talk to a lot recommended Olivia Tremor Control and I'm really enjoying Black Foliage lately. It's like a less sober Beach Boys with 90s indie aesthetics and even more intricate orchestration.

Here is a whole bunch of Neutral Milk Hotel and Jeff Mangum bootlegs. There used to be a large link years ago shared on Sup Forums but it got taken down so I reuploaded it and added a few more. Sound and bitrate quality varies but there is a lot of material in there and you'll probably find some you'll enjoy.

mega.nz/#!tB9yFJZT!U5uOxs1rTeONBQ37IWziOocEb8OSEIhEMDg8WHLa3ig

Not that guy but of Montreal and Elf Power are both great. Major Organ and the Adding Machine is worth a listen too, mostly because Jeff is on it.

Elf Power
Major Organ
The Music Tapes
Circulatory System
Apples in Stereo
Olivia Tremor Control

My favorite are The Music Tapes, it's Julian (the singing saw player of NMH) making super strange lofi music with banjos and kick balls

I have some listenin' to do

ITAOTS doesn't have Naomi.

if you're gonna do the music tapes, start with the song "takeshi and elijah." it's the most like NMH, and it's basically just a song about how he misses Jeff and being in NMH.

duly noted

Holy shit, that "April 8th" performance…

Yo, i know. they also do a sick ass version of Ferris Wheels on Fire

Thanks Buddy!
on a related note, does anyone have the supposed original trackless for the album? I heard about it a while ago but couldn't find shit.

Crawl across toward your window

SHAADOOOWS ON MYY WAAAAALL
THEY CREEP AND CRAAWL
youtube.com/watch?v=mu6XtWm2Ltg

What the fuck? It seems like I always listen to an album a month before it gets a little of conversation on Sup Forums. Then once I'm bored of it, people actually start to talk about it. This has happened with loveless, glow pt. 2, spiderland, and now this. Am I just slightly ahead of the other newfags?

people have been talking about avery and those other albums for years

Not as much as right now though, it seems like newfags learn about mucore in waves and they're only just now getting to it. There's more discussion about this album than there usually is.

I lift to that song

this, iunno why that guy's being so autistic