CBS poll: Plurality of Americans now disapprove of decision to use the atomic bomb on Japan

>After decades of Americans defending Truman’s decision to drop the bomb, we’ve now had enough population churn to finally move the numbers. People who lived through the meat grinder of World War II are dying off, replaced by people who’ve never lived in a country that has a military draft, let alone one that might have placed them in the middle of a maelstrom like X-Day. Go figure that when Gallup polled the public in August 1945 on whether they approved of the development of the atomic bomb, fully 69 percent said yes. Fast-forward 71 years and here we are.

Note the age breakdown in pic. related.

cbsnews.com/news/cbs-news-poll-what-do-americans-think-of-the-1945-use-of-the-atomic-bomb/

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_feather
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

We're On the Verge of a Global Financial Crisis, Warns Japanese PM

Current generation isn't the one who would have had to pay millions of lives in an invasion of Japan. The greatest generation bought them the luxury to be such pussies.

Shut up please. You scream "ITS HAPPENING FOR REAL THIS TIME GUYS" every time China wobbles.

Ask them if they would have approved nuking Germany. They disapprove of nuking Japan because they weren't white. They would probably approve of nuking their own neighborhood if there are no people of color there. The Jews have destroyed our race. We lost to the fucking Jews.

>disapprove
>tweeted from my iphone

It okay America don't have to feel bad. It gave us really big beetles I got to catch as a kid plus it only killed like my great great grandparents so I don't care w

Look at the racial and gender gaps in the OP image.

"You're a fucking white male!"

This

>Note the age breakdown in pic. related.

Note the gender breakdown.

Women don't give a fuck because they wouldn't be fighting.

>Tojo like a fucking coward attacks Pearl Harbor
>"all good man, all is fair in war man"
>US drops a nuke
>"no that isn't right"

>Women disapprove of using nukes.
Probably because they're not the ones that would have to die in the ground war.

so they'd rather just have every nip die cause that's what they were willing to do, the nuke scared them into surrendering

>disapprove

well shit better undrop them

Using the bomb saved more lives than it took. A land invasion of Japan would have end up with them completely wiped out, they had old ladies sharpening broom sticks preparing to fight - Nuke put an end to all that. Not to mention how it put the rest of the world on watch and effectively put an end to the war.

We should have stuck to the mainland, idiot.
Plus the PH attack is nothing compared to the bombs we dropped.

Not to mention the Russians would've participated in the land invasion, so we'd ended up with a divided Cold War Japan that was Communist in the North.

>women
>0.28 approve
>0.5 disapprove
It's like they've never had to worry about being drafted into the meat grinder or even having to register with selective service for potential drafting into the meat grinder....

I noticed that in my freshman history course. Even my pinko libtard professor set them straight on how the bomb saved millions in the long run.

The White Feather Campaign
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_feather

>In August 1914, at the start of the First World War, Admiral Charles Fitzgerald founded the Order of the White Feather with support from the prominent author Mrs Humphrey Ward. The organization aimed to shame men into enlisting in the British Army by persuading women to present them with a white feather if they were not wearing a uniform.

>This was joined by some prominent feminists and suffragettes of the time, such as Emmeline Pankhurst and her daughter Christabel. They, in addition to handing out the feathers, also lobbied to institute an involuntary universal draft, which included those who lacked votes due to being too young or not owning property.

>While the true effectiveness of the campaign is impossible to judge, it did spread throughout several other nations in the Empire. In Britain it started to cause problems for the government when public servants and men in essential occupations came under pressure to enlist. This prompted the Home Secretary, Reginald McKenna, to issue employees in state industries with lapel badges reading "King and Country" to indicate that they too were serving the war effort. Likewise, the Silver War Badge, given to service personnel who had been honourably discharged due to wounds or sickness, was first issued in September 1916 to prevent veterans from being challenged for not wearing uniform. Anecdotes from the period indicates that the campaign was not popular amongst soldiers - not least because soldiers who were home on leave could find themselves presented with the feathers.

>One such was Private Ernest Atkins who was on leave from the Western Front. He was riding a tram when he was presented with a white feather by a girl sitting behind him. He smacked her across the face with his pay book saying: "Certainly I'll take your feather back to the boys at Passchendaele. I'm in civvies because people think my uniform might be lousy, but if I had it on I wouldn't be half as lousy as you."

>The supporters of the campaign were not easily put off. A woman who confronted a young man in a London park demanded to know why he was not in the army. "Because I am a German", he replied. He received a white feather anyway.

>Perhaps the most ironic use of a white feather was when one was presented to Seaman George Samson who was on his way in civilian clothes to a public reception in his honour. Samson had been awarded the Victoria Cross for gallantry in the Gallipoli campaign.

>Roland Gwynne, later mayor of Eastbourne (1929–1931) and lover of suspected serial killer John Bodkin Adams, received a feather from a relative. This prompted him to enlist, and he subsequently received the Distinguished Service Order for bravery. The writer Compton Mackenzie, then a serving soldier, complained about the activities of the Order of the White Feather. He argued that these "idiotic young women were using white feathers to get rid of boyfriends of whom they were tired". The pacifist Fenner Brockway claimed that he received so many white feathers he had enough to make a fan.

this

good luck making china, russia, and best corriah give up their nukes obama.

Greatest ally.

I just needed to post that again so that I could screen cap it because I'm tired for copy/pasting it. It's normally meant for feminists, but since millenials are such vaginal, beta faggots, this might as well apply to them too, as per

>saved millions in the long run
Even if it didn't, is it wrong to kill 250,000 enemy civilians if it saves 50,000 of your soldiers.

killing civilians is generally considered to be wrong no matter what the reason behind it is.

YES

>It okay America don't have to feel bad
I've never felt bad about it.
Even if I was offered the job of dropping the bomb, I wouldn't think twice.

>60% for Republicans.
This poll sounds like bullshit, and it IS CBS. The question was probably put to them not as "Was the use of the atom bombs to end the war justified?" Instead it was probably like "How do you feel about us using the atomic bomb?".

But it's okay to carpet bomb white germans right?

Could you say that even if you and your buddies were the ones to be sacrificed?

killing civilians is generally considered to be wrong no matter what the reason behind it is.

It was a total war scenario, killing civilians was totally permitted, at least by bombing.

what is total war for 1 dollar alex

It's not a question of arithmetic or ratios you cuck.

permitted and right or wrong are very different things

Tell that to the Japanese who have refused to apologize or recognize their atrocities in Korea and China

and they are all irrelevant in modern warfare

No shit, there was no math in my post. Would you be willing to to let yourself, your friends, and brothers in arms die in a land war to save some gooks that would rather slit your throat themselves?

>Not checking flags

Only war vets should of been allowed to vote. Not kids from the Internet.

>Only welfare queens should be allowed to vote.
No

>MFW the firebombing of tokyo was deadlier than Fatman and little boy combined.

But didn't Hitler the Menacing Bigot gas six quintillion people of Jewish descent?

It's almost like you don't know what the definition of welfare queen is

>Plus the nukes were nothing compared to the conventional bombs we would have otherwise had to have dropped taking the country

>Plurality of Americans now disapprove

KENYA BTFO IMPEACHMENT WHEN?

This. Fuck women and minorities, they don't deserve a vote.

and?

also they are just weak

what about killing emus?

>58% vs. 28%

Women's suffrage was a mistake

Real fucking easy to be a disapproving nitwit. We didn't nuke modern Japan- we nuked a bunch of religious fanatics and forced their "pope emperor" of sorts to heel.

If anything I can think of another group of religious chucklefucks who could use the kind of faith breaking that only comes when your will to resist goes up in nuclear hellfire. Nothing says "fuck your God and your imperialist ambitions" quite like localized Armageddon.

>nukes are bad
Yet they ended the fucking war.
Every country that wants to remain a country has them.
Libshits keep crying over them.

what if they are niggers?

Everything you ever do is paid for using tax money.

Was this the same poll that said that the plurality of Americans would support nuking Iraq if they attacked the US?

>Current generation isn't the one who would have had to pay millions of lives in an invasion of Japan.
One thing to remember is that had the US not enacted sanctions, it wouldn't have been brought into the war in the first place. Many of the people disagreeing might have this in mind.

I could easily agree with the decision from the sole context of 1945, from any other perspective however it seems pretty shortsighted.

If we didn't use nukes, we would never have known what devistation they could bring to a population.

If Japan hadn't been nuked, the cold war would have escalated to a full exchange.

>articles separated by less than 1 month

>Japan starts to take over the entire west side of the pacific
>US issues economic sanctions
>Japan attacks US
>US is somehow at fault

fuck off

I guess by that definition literally everyone is a welfare queen

>US is somehow at fault
I didn't say that.

Only was suggesting the conflict was probably avoidable.

Can someone explain this to me.

Don't get me wrong I love america and I'm proud to be your hat but how could dropping the nuclear bomb be justified since japan surrendered BEFORE you threw it? I heard you only did this to impress/scare Russia

Why is everyone so mad about the atomic bombings when the firebombings were way worse?

>people born after WWII and generations born further and further away disagree with decisions made during the time period

Completely worthless poll. It's too easy to look back on WWII and wonder why we did what we did only because we've seen the outcome. It's as if these people believe we'd be living in the same world today if we didn't drop the nukes and invaded instead.

>yanks don't drop the bomb
>japs keep fighting
>land invasion by the soviets and americans
>japs wiped out
at least we wouldn't have anime

Two wasn't enough.

Short sighted Americans applying todays morals to the past, with little or no actual historic knowledge to support the position.
I'm not surprised.
Everyone just instantly looks for the answer that will give them the most virtue signal points...its built into their brains.

All you need to know is that without the bombs, the japs probably aren't as psychologically fucked, we never get anime, and thus, never get Sup Forums/pol/

>we never get anime, and thus, never get Sup Forums/pol/
That would have been for the better

Not the 80% of the country that works in the private sector

>Japanese aren't as psychologically fucked

Pretty sure a land invasion that would have effectively been a genocide of the Japanese would have had further impact on the minds of the Japanese than the bombs.

maybe...but at least they could have claimed to have fought bravely til the end and preserved some of their honor
but they were forced to surrender, that one hurt the ol' national ego a bit too much i think

Lol they were reluctant to surrender after the second bomb was dropped you fucking retard.

I disapprove too imo japan should have nuked the USA, if that happened there would be no Israel today and there would be no degeneracy

New Poll: A majority of Americans don't know shit about US history

Are you retarded?

>Many of the people disagreeing might have this in mind.

Bullshit. Most of the idiots that oppose the atomic bombings couldn't tell you what "sanctions" are; to suggest that they have any knowledge whatsoever of the historical backdrop of Japan's involvement in WWII is absurd.

>not approving of winning a war
they always spout some virtue signaly bullshit too
or nonsense like
"w-we knew already, we didn't have to drop them"

>44% disapproval
That's the 44% that picked world geography in high school rather then history and frankly they shouldn't get to have an opinion.

Okay let's un-nuke the cities if everybody disapproves so much.

>women
>non whites

oooooooooook we know these people hate the usa, its funny how they still stay in your country