Have any of you invested in bitcoin? If so how much? And is it worth the hype...

Have any of you invested in bitcoin? If so how much? And is it worth the hype? I never considered its value before recently and always shurgged it off as Super Mario currency. A gimmick that doesn't have any value beyond what pogs did in the 90's.

Other urls found in this thread:

cnbc.com/2017/12/07/cryptocurrency-trends-more-icos-regulatory-guidance-and-wider-acceptance-of-bitcoin.html
getstartedwithcrypto.wordpress.com/airdrops-and-coin-give-aways/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I saw it pop up here in Sup Forums in like 2011 and thought it was some sort of scam.

Trying to buy in now to start trading some altcoins because I have zero savings and refuse to keep living like this. Want to be able to have something for my daughter when she gets older.

Told my wife the other night when it hit 12,000 it was making me physically sick knowing I passed on it because I was too cynical, so I'm not going to make that mistake ever again.

Ron Paul told you, you only had to listen.

Yeah.

Anyways, bump.

the buy site of bitcoin is down ... check if you don't believe me.

Ehh it's hard to say because say if you were to invest in it now, how much %gains can you expect?

Plus I hear how it's difficult to liquidate and the amount of fees involved.

Imo I haven't really read into it but it looks like it's more of " it makes my portfolio look really nice" compared to realizing your gains to go buy a Ferrari or something.

Plus hearing that it's black money / pump and dump/ other shady shit involved.

It still is. It's volatile unregulated used and influenced by illegal purposes and markets and not easy to facilitate purchae and sale.

Its still Mario money. It is only worth what people will pay for it and many banks and funds are pumping the breaks on it.

It may one day be great. But it won't be great the way it is now. And it won't be great if it keeps rising exponentially

That Super Mario money made people multi-millionaires. That's real enough for me.

all the investment bankers say it's basically a Ponzi scheme at this point. So....

could someone explain something to me? i'm an idiot, so i need this to be explained.

newegg accepts bitcoins for some items. let's say there's a mouse mat with a nude Angie Varona, and it cost $8:00 as of two weeks ago. that means it would have cost 0.001 BTC, right?

then the price of Bitcoins almost triples. does that same mousemat now cost $17, or does the price in dollars remain at $8, but the price in bitcoins is now 0.0004 BTC? how does that shit work?

what about all the people who got stung with ransomware that demands one bitcoin to unlock their files? six months ago that would have been six hundred dollars. today it'd be 17,000 dollars. is that fair?

I don't know if Bitcoin is a viable investment at this point since it's practically impossible to own a single bitcoin anymore. The price is so high now that you would be lucky to own a fraction of a fraction of a single coin. I would count my blessings just to own a single grand in it.

At this point, best bet is to invest in Ethereum. There's a lot more potential with Ether than there is Bitcoin. Bitcoin acts like a store of value. It's virtual gold. That's in. Used only for investment purposes. Ether however has more utility beyond just money. Programs can be built on it. It won't climb anywhere near as high as Bitcoin did, but I think it;s a safer bet.

they're only multi-millionaires if they can spend it. how many places let you buy cars, property, whores, even food with BTC?

go ahead, list them all. i will look them up and point out that they are either no longer trading, or their fine print limits them to transactions of less than $5 a day.

They're multi-millionaires because they cashed out. Meaning they no longer have virtual currency, they withdrew it from an exchange. It's fiat now. Millions of dollars in fiat.

My dad bought me 1000 BTC back in 2011 cause my dad is a huge techy and thought the idea of digital money was cool. I'm way more into skateboarding and vidya and never gave two thoughts about it really, never even opened the wallet on my computer. Of course now I'm like freaking the fuck out. My dad made me super rich. Computer is stored in my closet back at my parents home--I'm in college now. So over Christmas break gonna finally open the wallet and and have my dad sell them all for me. Gonna give my parents like half the money though. Owe this huge windfall all to my dad! How fucking lucky am I? Shit, this feels like a dream. Hope the value hits $20k by the time I get home.

You will still need to find buyers for that 1000btc. Just sayin'.

Lucky as fuck. Those lucky few who adopted Bitcoin early are the real winners right now. And good job and giving half of it to your folks.

Goldman Sachs will be clearing Bitcoin futures contracts - news from 4 hours ago.
TD Ameritrade Holding Corp. and Ally Financial Inc.’s Ally Invest said they will offer Bitcoin futures - news from december 4th.

You know nothing, user.

Oh yeah, I'm going to invest in the altcoins. That's the whole plan. Just trying to get some money together to make it worthwhile. Maybe two weeks and I'll have a few hundred.

Is there any way to short it so I can walk away a millionaire when it crashes

if this is real you should sell them now, just in case.

Yes, you can do it. Loses are potentially infinite, but hey, everybody is saying that it's going to crash.

Except if they were REALLY sure about it, they would short it and become millonaires.

I'm just paraphrasing what I've read elsewhere,

cnbc.com/2017/12/07/cryptocurrency-trends-more-icos-regulatory-guidance-and-wider-acceptance-of-bitcoin.html

You can even margin trade, check BitMex, AVAtrade, Plus500...

Bought in at $2500 made about $700 in a few months. Owned a full bitcoin years ago but used it to buy a $150 ID feelsbatman.jpg

If you can scrounge up enough money now to buy a single ether, you could potentially walk away with 10 grand in the next 5 years.

the word ponzi is not mentioned in that article.
"Bitcoin, the experts said, is also set to become more mainstream"
10/10 trolling ;-)

True, and diff user, but would you speculate that now the price is too high, the demand is down, and if you bought a whole coin would you make any reasonable profit in the future considering demand is the only thing that adds to it's value? It's not something like computer chips or finding more oil where people will obviously find intrinsic value and use and invest in it.

The fact that you don’t even know if it’s possible to short it tells me you’re a fucking idiot who is going to get margin called and go six figures into debt in one afternoon.

Why are people treating bitcoin like an investment? It's supposed to be a currency, right? It's cool and all that it's rising in value, but stability and acceptance as payment are the more important aspects of a currency. Shouldn't the appeal of bitcoins be the secure and anonymous transactions? Like anything making a mad upward climb like the value of bitcoins now, it's going to crash and burn soon enough. We can't just be forever rooting for that bitcoin to dollar ratio to increase. Spend your bitcoins like you spend money, and if you want to invest, invest in something worth a damn.

kek

If anyone is interested in getting in soon hold off for a little while. Futures are going to be traded and I think theres going to be a huge dump.

Because when you put X amount of dollars into something, and walk away with a profit, that's the literal definition of an investment.

It's jumped like 3 or 4k in a day. It's clearly a bubble, the value has nothing to do with anything real (not that it ever did, really) and all the sheeple are jumping in on it, as seen by Sup Forums threads of randos asking for free BTC.

It's going to pop any day.

If your story is real (it's not), you need to sell them now if you can actually find buyers. Better to be rich now than have nothing when you wait too long.

why do memecoin investors get so defensive

its probably getting pumped by bankers. futures are opening on dec 10

But ultimately no kind of currency has anything to do with anything real.

My wife needs a boobjob.
Any contribution in bitcoin is apreciated, i'll post new tits when the surgery is done as a thank you.

1BuKDTizmt3QnSR
KxsELJky8gB5RVdagVC

I been buying since it hit 10k. And been mining crypto since the summer.

Best thing to do right now is nothing.

If you already have BTC, hold. If you do not, wait. This run-up is insane, nobody knows whats going to happen.

Because autistic fuckwits say things like “this is going to crash any day now, I can tell. By the way, is there anyway I can make a future downward trend into a profit for myself? I am an idiot and don’t even understand the very basics, but am still smarter than everyone else.”

Do you pay for electricity and if so how much?

If you are so sure, short it and become rich. If you don't do it, it's because you aren't so sure about it being a bubble.

$28.78 in fees?! Jesus motherfucking Christ.

You should help them with their shorts and laugh when they get rekt a week later

You know nothing

> if you can actually find buyers.

lololol

2017 - not getting free crypto.... Stay poor 4chin

getstartedwithcrypto.wordpress.com/airdrops-and-coin-give-aways/

memefees are a meme

What's "real" behind most currencies is the government. The whole decentralized fuck the bankers thing appeals to me, don't get me wrong, but at the end of the day currencies are made legitimate by the government backing them, recognizing them as legal tender, printing them (or maybe mining them in the future), offering insurance against losing them from bank accounts, etc.

The solution to shitty bankers is to regulate banks more or decentralize them and give people power of them in some other way. At best, bitcoin will become adopted by the government and start being legit, although more likely they'll do some replacement and make bitcoin either illegal or even more useless. Until then it's going to be inherently volatile and not particularly useful as currency.

the autistic fuckwits are the people who think that this runup is somehow normal and indicative of anything other than a speculative bubble.

Now, people who think they can seriously time shorting it are also autistic fuckwads, yes, but there aren't nearly as many of them.

Bitcoin is currency. Not sure how it will “crash”. May go down or up and again...when I buy things overseas I use bitcoin.

>Need to find buyers

Nigga, have you even seen the sell orders? I saw 25 btc get eaten up in a minute at $16k. He's good

discord sE8VaU
great group with 10/10 calls for investing
user approved

The government only holds power over currency because the people do. If every business started using bitcoin, and every citizens started using bitcoin, then the government would be powerless to prevent it.

lmao more like shitcoin amirite

I bought 2k worth of ETH in 2016. BTC's gains ain't shit to me.

Also BTC doesn't really have much of a use case beyond speculation. ETH has tons of cool and valuable purposes.

got in @ $6,900, missed the dip last week, but got so hyped up this morning bought some more @ $16,300. I did that after it had been to $19K, so I felt it was a mini dip. You gotta be fast when this shit moves. Fucking work got in the way.

13 cents a kwh
Yep. Fees are much cheaper if i would have used a bank account and not credit, but i started credit card churning so it's an easy way too hit how much i need to spend to get the rewards.
Just got ~$600 in amazon gift cards for spending 2k on the southwest chase card. I'll probably use the gift cards to buy another gpu to mine with.

Hey,

Guys. I have a question.

anyone know anything about bitcoin?

If I post a pic of a girl with a bitcoin address. Can I accept anonymous payments until a certain amount is reached and I would then release her nudes?

Could I be tracked via the bitcoin address?

Iota

You obviously don't know how shorting works. Someone would have to take the other side of that short; find me some institution or person stupid enough to do it and I'd happily short the living fuck out of bitcoin

Buy some cryptokitties

Yeah, once people stop paying taxes, I'm sure they'll just say, oh well, the jig is up! Definitely won't be making it illegal and putting people in prison or anything

Like I said, I honestly don't know shit about BTC. It was my dad who bought them for me because he had a really good year in 2011 and had some extra money. I never did anything with them b/c I was just too lazy to figure out how to use them properly t b h and was way more into boarding and doing stupid/fun shit with my friends at the time. Anyway totally selling, converting, exchanging, (whatever the right word is) them for USD in 18 days when I get home. Will hire a financial manager (my dads friend) to manage my money and diversify it and get like monthly stipends to pay for school and have fun and stuff. I've told some of my closest friends at school about it but am worried about the word getting out and people hitting me up for money and "loans." So many strapped kids in college but I just don't want to be giving out money to everyone. One of the reasons my dad wants to set me up on the stipend system. Anyway, having serious duckets is gonna be new to me and I hope I'm smart about it and not a stupid douche. Don't think I will be since I'm not too materialistic and don't want a douchemobile or blinged out crap. I'm pretty pragmatic.

Why are people going to stop paying taxes? And why are you assuming that the government would just decide not to switch from fiat to crypto?

"and if this trend continues... EYYYYYY!"

Well if you can figure out why it should go up further, be my guest and buy some. But other people buying it isn't a reason . . . because when the music stops, plenty of people aren't going to have a chair.

heyy can you send me some?

Bitcoin: 18BVb8Ak6ByC1as4i
5v9Gao5y2jJayTj45

Ethereum: 0x0dEDD1a3c173c2
43635A23B7d80e62899B4c3A19

Litecoin: LcvtR3HJ78qbn6Lsw
KaWG4sd3fSmTRavLt

>people in 2017 think they can make money on bitcoin

years too late.

>get in years ago
>sell now
>millionaire