16 months ago i started taking citalopram for depression...

16 months ago i started taking citalopram for depression, however in the last 8 weeks i have started to develop major sleeping problems, i can easily fall asleep but cant stay asleep for more than 3 hours and cant sleept after i wake up, is therw anybody who knows how to get normal sleep again without stopping taking my meds?

Inb4: an hero

do some exercise you lazy cunt.... do a 10km run, you will see how much you sleep...

an hero

I ride my bike 30km Total a day to and from college, go to the gym on some evenings, makes no difference at all

Was on the same stuff switched because of it. Still have sleep problems

German Guy (25) with healthcare here: Ask your Doc for Venlafaxin.

I‘m with Agoraphobie and panicdisorder.

Damn, still as bad?

Ahh one of our eastern neighbours, thanks mate, i'll have a talk with the doctor next tuesday, lets hope it will be an easy switch

what's depression like?

Talk to your doctor, OP. Depression makes sleep much harder to get. I know cause I take Citalopram and Bupropion for depression.

A mixture of sadness, feelings of uselessness, regret, mainly a lot of empty nothingness, feeling not even human anymore. Differs from person to person though

Benadryl? I developed a tolerance to it but I would take a few 20-30 minutes before I wanted to go to sleep and a few more when I felt it kick in then go right to bed. Helped me stay asleep. But if I didn't go to bed right when I felt it, I would be up and antsy all night. It's cheap And worth a shot?

I'm down to try anything at this point tbh, i'll have a look at it

Severely injured my back in 2011. Took me 5 years to recover but the anxiety, panic, and chronic stress associated with being in pain every second of the day fucked my head up so bad. Went on Zoloft 50mg and it immediately started fucking with my sleep and I’m basicaly an insomniac now.

Shit. I also have a chronic disease that used to be painful and debilitating, and I would always choose that iver depression. Just for folks who think it's all bullshit.

Also, some people don't know this, but the ingredient that makes you drowsy in Benadryl is the same used in all the over the counter sleeping pills. The only difference is the sleeping pills are way more expensive. Save your $$ and do the benedryl :)

So the dummies will tell you to exercise more. The street drug guys will tell you do snort heroine. The weed guys will tell you to... smoke weed because it's good at everything right? The spiritualists will tell you to meditate and do yoga. The doctors will tell you to take more pills.

I've been stuck with similar sleep disturbance for 25 years and I can tell you this: then only thing that ever helped were meds and therapy. I think citalopram is a shit drug (I have experience) but it's close sibling cipralex worked wonders for me.

Turns out I may have cushings syndrome which could have been driving this all along. Everybody should get screened by an endocrinologist because that shit affects everything.

I guess it's just a different dose?

If you can commit to it, get yourself a pupperoni. I’m in grad school and my back is also fucked and my goodboi is the only thing that keep my head above water with my depression

I've had similar problems for 25 years. Believe me, sedatives like benadryl or sleeping pills will make it worse! You're body will become dependant and then you'll start overdosing and then you'll have to stop. That's when you'll have whatever problem you're having now PLUS the additional sleep disturbance of withdrawing from sedatives. It's a fucking trap. Please don't do this.

Agreed, pets are the fucking best, unconditional love, too bad i'm away from home most of the time so the lil pupper wouldnt have a happy life. Therefore no pupper or cat for me. Still petting random cats and dogs on the street tho, might look like tard but idc

Do they also affect your ability to drive a vehicle?

I'm exercising some nights a week on recommendation of my therapist, it gives a quick high but wears off soon and you'll only fall deeper

Anti-depressants will do that. Make sure you take it in the morning with some breakfast and not at night.

I allready tried that, worked for a couple of days though, maybe i should alternate between weeks in morning and weeks in evening

i took escitalopram (same thing changed for copyright reasons) for a few months,

I have trouble with sleep 6 years afterwards,
never went away, maybe talk with your doctor about alternatives

OP do you get any random manic/ panic periods throughout the day? Or just the consistent depression?

I definitely built a tolerance for it. I did it Sunday - Thursday to get robbed in time and quit during the weekend. Usually drank and got a buzz on to fall asleep. It's definitely not healthy but that's how I would fall asleep.

I have an appointment next tuesday, definitely gonna talk about alternatives

I have some mood swings at times, however on my meds i'm a lot more stabile

Fuck! Not *robbed, to get to bed on time!!

Absolutely. And you can be charged with DUI.

Exercise is good, it's just not going to fix y our sleep problem. It's very good for you mentally as long as you're not over doing it. And believe me, when you don't sleep right you don't heal right so you can definitely get fucked up.

drinking, ya I forgot about that one because I don't drink anymore. Drinking, more than anything else, will fuck with your sleep when you're taking head meds. If you want to change the way you sleep, you MUST give up the booze, as in entirely, as in not even at Christmas.

That sounds more like a blessing unless u actually feel sleepy as hell, get some shit done user.

Well that’s OPs dilemma. Work all day, get shit done, then once it’s time to get to bed and recover, you can’t. And it just starts to make everything miserable and exhausting

That's the main problem, at this point i'm so tired i'm actually forgetting what i wanna say mid sentence, imagine actually getting shit done

user, I work on a chemistry every summer, and that's bad. And here in Spain doctors prescribe it to every body.

Prospect says that the intake shouldn't be longer than 8 weeks, read it yourself.

Some serious studies demostrated that a solid sport routine gets better results that this kind of pills.

Man this just screw your brain, in this case it's worst the remedy thab the ilness.

yeah i don't know how to write but this is for a good pourpose.

Is it possible it's unrelated? I suddenly became on insomniac about a year ago and have had ups/downs, sometimes only able to sleep 1 hour in 48, without medication.

If it's a problem, definitely consult the doctor that put you on them. Not ideal to drop medication without consulting an actual doctor rather than a Sup Forums medical professional.

I get that too. Like today. Woke up at 9 to go to class barely able to think went to work after, got home, tired as fuck, got in bed at 10, been lying here for 3 hours and can’t even get close to sleeping. 1:30 west coast right now so 4c til my eyes are forced shut

Man i feel for you, i'm in college as we speak, waiting for class, guess i'll call in sick the last 2 hours

Damn, at least this makes me more mentally stabile, compared to a workout regime. I've been swimming competetively for years and during that time my symptoms of depression only became worse

Godspeed dude. Try to eat something if possible. That usually helps me a bit.

Food more or less keeps me going troughout the day, food and tea. Godspeed to you too mate, somehow it's comforting to know that i'm not the only one :)

ECG tech here. Citalopram can affect your heart which can affect a lot of other things. Do you feel at all light headed or short of breath? Either way, if it's working for your psychological problems, you should ask about escitalopram. It pretty much always works for people who are good with citalopram but has none of the heart-related side effects.

get a script for ramelteon. low risk of dependence, good sleep, etc. of just diphenhydramine otc

Damn, being short of breath sound way too familiar...

For OTC remedies for insomnia or sleep difficulties, I’ve actually found that Dramamine is a pretty mellow and non addictive sleep aid. Step dad works in a warehouse 12 hours days and he uses it as well. Do your research before trying it out, but I figured Id throw in my suggestion.

Antideps fuck your shit up. All I got to say

Don't get worried about it but I'd definitely ask about escitalopram. It's chemically very similar so it should work for you. The problem I'm thinking of is that citalopram can can slow the repolarization of your ventricles, which can cause some bad things.

Ignore all the idiots.

I have been on several AD's, Venlafaxin (effexor), Mirtazapin (remeron), Citalopram, Nortryptolin and will start with Clomipramine very soon.

Some user here advised to take Venlafaxin but please dont. I was on 225 mg and while it helped, it took me about 2 years to decrease the dosage to 0 mg. It's a massive pain, you'll get insane brain zaps. I had to take lower the dosage by 12.5 mg at a time and still went through absolute hell.

Since I started using AD's I've had massive problems with staying asleep. I would wake up at least 6 times per night for ~20 minutes or sometimes couldn't sleep anymore at all.

Discuss with your doctor if you can start taking 1/4th (3.75mg) or 1/2th (7,5 mg) tablet of Mirtazapin (Remeron). This will make you fall asleep within 20-30 minutes and also helps you stay asleep much better. The trick is to keep the dosage as low as possible to prevent tiredness in the morning.

It could also benefit your recovery greatly since it exhibits both noradrenergic and serotonergic activity. But please consult your doctor about this and discuss it.

When i started with citalopram i had a resting heart rate of 30bpm, that really makes you feel sluggish and weak, that bit has improved but i'd kill for a night of actual shut eye, i'll ask for escitalopram for sure, thanks guys, you're all great help Sup Forumsro's

>30bpm
woah, wait a second. How old are you? What's your gender? Do you/did you have an eating disorder?

At the time i was 18 years old, i'm male, 6ft1 tall 140lbs back then

i'm sorry user, but you know this stuff just work on the symptoms of your ilness it will never be the cure, it's fine if you take it but keep that in mind. keep the therapy abd everything else to support it

Standing up quiclkly would cause near blackouts, not to get started about climbing a set of stairs

Okay, were an athlete? Did you have eating issues at all? Have you been diagnosed with anything else?

I'm on meds and in therapy, i visit once every 6 weeks and i've been getting by quite well untill i got trouble sleeping

Untill 12 months before that i trained for my swimming team twice a week, quit because the team was getting shitty, always whining and blaming stuff on others

If you can, in addition to switching meds, see if you can get an ECG and check for long QT syndrome.

If switching meds is to no avail, i'll definitely keep that in mind, also what is long QT syndrome?

That's the thing that your posts were making me think of. It's consistent with you having breathing issues, being borderline underweight, being on citalopram, etc.

I'm assuming you're on your parents insurance? It would really be worth getting this checked.

Other user here. Long QT syndrom is a heart rythm disease, it usually runs in the family.

Your low heart rate probably comes from your height in relation to your weight, you really have to gain some weight. 6ft1 and 140lbs is no good.

I'm no longer underweight though, since i git on meds i've put on 20lbs without even eating crazy. And i'm on my own insurance but pretty much fully covered

>usually runs in the family
It can also be caused by effects of being underweight, as well as by certain drugs (like citalopram).

>I'm no longer underweight though
That won't necessarily matter. You should have had your heart checked, regardless, and it would be good to do so when you're able. How's your heart rate on average lately?

Lately my resting heart rate is around 70, how exactly can long qt syndrome be treated?

Anynody also has some ideas on how to deal with loud cunts when being this tired and moody because of it?

Try to get Propiomazin prescribed to you.

There are mostly just beta blockers and a few simpler lifestyle things to change but you shouldn't worry about it unless you actually have it. You may have something else going on which is why you should get it checked, either way.

No harm in getting checked i guess, thanks for alerting me on it man, the doctors here are kinda shit tho

SSRIs are a fucking scam. Take antipsychotics, it stabilizes your mood.

No problem. Hope everything goes well.

>that advice
yikes, dude

I hope so too, i'm looking forward to get this shit done and over with

>Propiomazin

This. Makes you sleep more heavy. Doesn't make you addicted and no building up tolerance.

Advice: ignore all advice from here unless that advice is 'talk to your fucking doctor/shrink.'

Seriously, though: recs that worked are only good for those who did it. Two of my friends take the same shit for depression and one sleeps too much, and the other sleeps too little.

Talk to your doctor or whoever prescribed you. Tell them about your sleep issues. They'll help dial in the best dosage or changes.