I've recently started listening to Japanese music, and am looking for recommendations on where to go from here...

I've recently started listening to Japanese music, and am looking for recommendations on where to go from here. So far I've listened to a bunch of albums by Midori, and all of Tricot's and Ryo Fukui's albums.

Midori is like Jazz and Punk mixed together, along with a lot of screaming into the microphone. Tricot is Japanese math rock. And Ryo Fukui is Jazz.

What do you recommend I listen to next, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=G4CKmzBf5Cs
youtube.com/watch?v=FL-ixFZwzQU
youtube.com/watch?v=TYRDgd3Tb44
youtube.com/watch?v=xDBxWSgcGMw
youtube.com/watch?v=l6pr3gETcDg
youtube.com/watch?v=Atc0ERea7nE
mega.nz/#!1JwgGKSS!SRo8YRxQ8BQ9BaQKH1DgxCrHLhZpZ15DWWcW4CHmITQ
youtu.be/Q7LplMNdr9I
pastebin.com/Cca07HuB
youtube.com/watch?v=_LDT6FmVBrs
youtube.com/watch?v=RXtzKyQmfxQ&index=12&list=PLGxMoHDHm9daDtHy658AT9mXH66evPTxc
youtube.com/watch?v=MAxXO04buA4&index=16&list=PLGxMoHDHm9daDtHy658AT9mXH66evPTxc
youtube.com/watch?v=KFLuZubqizI
youtu.be/zldBTSx9JpE
youtu.be/6No_qVPhY_s
youtu.be/PQSljVL5ARA
youtube.com/watch?v=r6QhdhrgvvY
youtube.com/watch?v=PNcXo7_b9M4
youtube.com/watch?v=F0cTof67kok
youtube.com/watch?v=3IJVCO_tubY
youtube.com/watch?v=wu9-kBZTV3I
youtube.com/watch?v=mgTdptE6PlE
youtube.com/watch?v=hPm0pFdGT-8
youtube.com/watch?v=I35rJISVYC8
youtube.com/watch?v=GFpmJpVPVe4
youtube.com/watch?v=CJnolgtt62M
youtube.com/watch?v=uFMJVuzW53w
youtube.com/watch?v=1dN1UowShBk
youtube.com/watch?v=UoQGLPn3UGk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Pic related and Fishmans

fuck..
Long Season i guess

get this album by Fishmans. Listen to the live version of Long Season

Dir en grey and maximum the hormone are god tier metal. Oral cigarettes are like a guilty pleasure for me too. Nice little rock band to casually bust a few moves or jam to.

I don't think Dir en grey has ever let me down. They got albums for any kind of metal listener.

Joji :^)

Kyo has such a good voice holy fuck. One of my favourite bands by far

>tfw people would rather listen to an average, cliche-ridden jazz pianist just because he's Japanese than the literally hundreds of jazz pianists who are unquestionably better

>cliche-ridden
THATS WHY WE LIKE HIM IDIOT
jazz pianists are boring AF without the strong 'cliche' hooks.

Mass Fermenting of Dregs
youtube.com/watch?v=G4CKmzBf5Cs
youtube.com/watch?v=FL-ixFZwzQU
Nujabes
youtube.com/watch?v=TYRDgd3Tb44
These too.
His range is stupid crazy.

Nujabes for hip hop, So Inagawa for house, Hiroshi Yoshimura for new age (green is my favourite album), Kimio Eto for some sick koto music

theres some more genres im forgetting

youtube.com/watch?v=xDBxWSgcGMw

morita douji
taeko ohnuki
sugarbabe
youtube.com/watch?v=l6pr3gETcDg

one of the few threads on Sup Forums where i agree with every single reccomendation
wow

youtube.com/watch?v=Atc0ERea7nE
you should listen to this if you like comfy indie/pop-rock music

Hey OP
Check out Number Girl
>Japanese math-rockish stuff. Really fun hearted, kind of lo-fi stuff. They tend to go from more abrasive riffing to more fun-loving energetic verses. It's a great listen.

mega.nz/#!1JwgGKSS!SRo8YRxQ8BQ9BaQKH1DgxCrHLhZpZ15DWWcW4CHmITQ

youtu.be/Q7LplMNdr9I forgot sample

The first Katamari Damacy Soundtrack is a must, second one is good too
Fishmans - Long Season
Shugo Tokumaru - Exit
Boredoms - Vision Creation Newsun
OOIOO - Feather Float
Shintaro Sakamoto - Love if Possible
Ichiko Aoba - 0
Ground Zero - Revolutionary Pekinese Opera ver. 1.28
Doopees - Doopee Time
Boris - Feedbacker, Flood, Pink
Mono - Hymn to the Immortal Wind
Kazuo Imai Trio - Blood
Les Rallizes Denudes - Heavier than a Death in the Family
Shoji Aketagawa, Kan Mikami, Toshiaki Ishizuka - Daikanjyo

Also this is a good reference pastebin.com/Cca07HuB

Weebs leave this board

Why not exile Korean Pop fags instead?

>I Fucking Love RYM

I definitely would recommend Flipper's Guitar over Cornelius' solo works.

Mellow waves came out not that long ago, have you listened to it?

I meant I would recommend it for a first listen.

i really really enjoy an album called tsunawatari by hako yamasaki. hope you enjoy it as well!

Mariya Takeuchi I guess

This is a great thread, lots of good recommendations.
I suggest, The Pillows, Yellow Magic Orchestra, Versailles, Deathgaze, Arise in Stability, and Miyavi has some great songs, if you are willing to sift through the garbage.

hi! youtube recommedations!

they are all solid artists im not gonna lie.. but still.

This x1000

is it possible to orgasm while listening to music? I think i got pretty close while listening to long season, especially in the interlude in the middle

I know it's mentioned a lot, but Kinoko Teikoku is pretty damn good, especially their first few albums

the pillows are probably my safe pick in terms of Japanese music - very great alternative rock, even if a little too western. Great blend of influences, too. There's also World's End Girlfriend but that can get a bit wild at times, and you kind of have to expect the guy to start at some instrumental, almost vidya-like music and slowly drift into musique concrete, for example. Jizue has some quite nice jazz, nothing groundbreaking but it's just excellently done. Mouse on the Keys is a great mix between wild drumming, piano and synths. toe has some pretty solid math rock. Shinki Chen is pretty much the cornerstone of Japanese psychedelic, and Acid Mothers Temple is also great Nippon Psychedelic Rock. Shinshamo has some fun post-punk revivalism. Polkadot Stingray has some REALLY musically interesting power pop, also, the singer a cute, but she's actually quite talented musically speaking, unlike most of the waifus talked here on Sup Forums. Mass of the Fermenting Dregs has a nice mix of post-hardcore and shoegaze. Number Girl has some nice post-hardcore overall, I quite like it, very catchy. Luminous Orange is shoegaze, but both very relaxed and very energetic. She Her Her Hers has this mix between shoegaze, indie rock and this Television-esque post-punk based mostly around guitar interplay which I honestly love, especially because of how it uses the textures from shoegaze to create a sense of dynamics even when not changing much in the song.

As for jazz, if you like piano trio, go to Bill Evans' work, particularly the Scott LaFaro albums. Not Japanese, but that's where Ryo Fukui's style comes from.

Shit, forgot to mention a picture of her. Great math rock band that has a great mix of being rhythm-focused and guitar interplay-focused rather than being one or the other.

I am looking for more like this (musically that is, forget the aesthetics):
youtube.com/watch?v=_LDT6FmVBrs

I obviously know early Dir en grey and Kuroyume already.

this is crazy, I was listening to Funkarello while reading this. I absolutely love Bill Evans, please listen to him.

>Don't you dare listen to new music because of reasons

凛として時雨 (Ling Tosite Sigure) - Inspiration is Dead

MONO
AND
MUTYUMU

yanokami

this, fishmans, boredoms, doopees, and hosono are your best bets

Sajjanu - Pechiku!!

I really dig a japanese garage rock like the pillows. I think it's because I don't really understand the lyrics so don't really know how retarded they actually are. Any recommendations?

Guitar Wolf

Akiko Yano - Tadaima
Zazen Boys - Stories
Haruomi Hosono - his entire discography desu

OP ... listen to these and you will achieve fully expanded brain

The Street Beats, The Blue Hearts, The Mods, The Stalin - punk, most of those are the unique Japanese punk/rockabilly/greaser combo sound with strong focus on ballads and acoustic guitar that I haven't really found anyone else play.

Acid Mothers Temple - because why not

Merzbow if you want noise, GGGGs or Hijokaidan if you want something less accessible.

Swing Holic if you want really pleasant weeb jazz/swing

t. RYMfag

Also Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex OST (especially volume 1), it's anime, but it's amazing. Yoko Kanno is a brilliant composer with classical background.

Neat thread and good recs.

Recently, I've been digging the math / post-rock of

Rega:
youtube.com/watch?v=RXtzKyQmfxQ&index=12&list=PLGxMoHDHm9daDtHy658AT9mXH66evPTxc

and Lite:

youtube.com/watch?v=MAxXO04buA4&index=16&list=PLGxMoHDHm9daDtHy658AT9mXH66evPTxc

Anyone got anything else similar?

Not all her works were amazing. Darker Than Black was very forgettable.

Please get off this board.

Yeah definitely, some of the Macross stuff is also very bland (tho on purpose I would assume), but GITS in specific is godlike

Kinoko Teikoku

youtube.com/watch?v=KFLuZubqizI
listen to supercar op

jp shoegaze best shoegaze

Kakashi by Yasuaki Shimizu is a very unique and fun album.

If you liked Tricot you may also enjoy the cabs, bit of the same mathy rock but with screamy vocals sometimes

>RYMfag telling others to leave Sup Forums
you realize you don't belong here, right?

>inb4 something about the frog
respect the frog, faggot

How do you know that? And what's the problem? There isn't a community you have to be a part of to use the site. What's wrong with cataloguing music and discovering new music?

I also really like this album by Shinsei Kamattechan, Noise Rock with vocals processed through some kind of pitch shifter. cool stuff

>How do you know that?
it's called being a drone

Can you deliver anything other than Sup Forums-drone and RYMfag? Why did you ignore the second part of my post? Because you're here just to shitpost I suppose.

Some other stuff that I don't think has been mentioned yet:

Ryuichi Sakamoto - Merry Christmas Mr lawrence
Gauge Means Nothing - The Absent Trail Of An Echo And My Future Plagued By Surrender
Toe - New Sentimentality
Kazuki Tomokawa - entire discog but specifically his Live in Akita Inu
Akira symphonic ost
Kan Mikami

been loving this band lately

Xinlisupreme, no doubt the best band to ever come out of Japan and possible the world

Shiina Ringo - Gips
youtu.be/zldBTSx9JpE

For You (full album) very awesome job with the artwork
youtu.be/6No_qVPhY_s

chill jazzhop for studying
youtu.be/PQSljVL5ARA

giv names

Melt Banana are an essential, also since you liked MIdori, have a vague chart to branch to a few places from there.

Kinoko Teikoku are essential japanese music desu

Kazumoto Endo - While You Were Out
PENS+ - Soccer
Soichi Terada - Acid Face
Perfume - JPN
Polkadot Stingray - Dai-seigi EP
Suiyoubi No Campanella - SUPERMAN
Oono Yuuki - Stars In Video Game
Kashiwa Daisuke - Program Music I
Kashiwa Daisuke - Program Music II
The Gerogerigegege - Tokyo Anal Dynamite
Fishmans - Long Season
Toshiya Tsunoda - Somishikiba

Thanks

This , Tatsuro Yamashita, and Toshinobu Kubota are all good

Are you listening to music because it's Japanese? That's weird man. Here's a list of bands that have probably all been mentioned already:

Luminous Orange
Tokyo Shoegazer
My dead girlfriend
Mass of the Fermenting Dreggs
Tentenko
Fishmans
Boris
Afrirampo
Acid mothers temple
The Blue Hearts
The Pillows
Capsule
Jizue

That's off the top of my head.

Koenjihyakkei - Viva Koenji (It's Zheul so expect a lot of prog-craziness)
Sōtaisei Riron - Synchroniciteen (Very comfy alt-rock, the guitarist is pretty good on this album)

Mass of the fermenting drags has already been recommended but I just gotta give it another recommendation.

Jizue - mathrock / jazz fusion, no vocals.
youtube.com/watch?v=r6QhdhrgvvY

Mouse on keys, similar to the above, jazz math / post fusion shit. also no vocals.
youtube.com/watch?v=PNcXo7_b9M4

Kamomekamome - hardcore / post hardcore, amazing vocalist.
Fuck I love this band.
youtube.com/watch?v=F0cTof67kok
youtube.com/watch?v=3IJVCO_tubY

Itsue - slow pop / shoegaze ? I dont really know how to describe them, magic voice with pleasant music ?
youtube.com/watch?v=wu9-kBZTV3I
youtube.com/watch?v=mgTdptE6PlE

Envy - hardcore, screamo, post rock
youtube.com/watch?v=hPm0pFdGT-8

This time we will not promise and forget - more jap screamo, very raw / emotional vocals.
youtube.com/watch?v=I35rJISVYC8

té - progressive / math / post rock , instrumental
youtube.com/watch?v=GFpmJpVPVe4
youtube.com/watch?v=CJnolgtt62M

Not op but I listen to jap music because I cant understand what they are saying.
I keep cringing when im listening to English metal because the lyrics are too edgy. So I listen to jap shit because I dont understand how edgy/cringey their lyrics are.

Some real grindcore
youtube.com/watch?v=uFMJVuzW53w

Elephant Gym for some great math rock.

They're Taiwanese

>implying Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere isn't real
What fucking alternate reality do you live on?

don't listen to this fag OP
Listen to their whole shit first, then listen to this album.

Hosono House my man, that's all you need to listen to.

you must go to jp music threads, mu is full of drone cunts

Tokyo Anal Dynamite isn't even a good album

Are you okay?

>Kai
We lad!
Don't count on it.

youtube.com/watch?v=1dN1UowShBk
Also Boredoms and Melt Banana

jun togawa is definitely one of my favorite japanese artists, she makes music thats like halfway between pop and a tongue in cheek fucked up parody of pop. definitely worth a look

also idk if this is related but if you like midori then check out foxy shazam's first two albums, i think a big reason i got into midori so much was bc they sounded like foxy shazam

Not him but why? Their studio albums aren't that great and this is by far their best live album, plus it's got most of their more popular songs, and their respective best performances

Best Nip-Hop album in recent years.

youtube.com/watch?v=UoQGLPn3UGk
jpop from the 70's

goji-sanpun has some pretty good Nipgaze, all in all.

Surprised no ones mentioned minimum electric design

listen to lamp dumbASS

Yup, Vision Creation Newsun by Boredoms

Pop Tatari will fuck you up

Good suggestions so far, guys. Some I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Flower Travellin Band is a heavy psych band that's often also considered one of the first metal bands alongside Black Sabbath. Check out their album Satori.

Aube is part of the infamous Noise music scene, but has a more subtle and intricate approach to the style. Check out his record Cardiac Strain.

GISM is probably the most well known punk rock band out of Japan, though they aren't a Sup Forums meme so peeps don't know. Have a very dark sorta metal inspired sound. Check out their record Detestation.

X Japan is one of the most popular Japanese bands period. Their progressive metal masterpiece The Art Of Life is a must listen.

If you have a taste for minimalist classical music, performer/composer Midori Takada is worth checking out. Her record Through The Looking Glass just got reissued this year, and it's like Reich if he decided to work with more exotic timbres.

One of my favorite Japanese jazz figures is guitarist Masayuki Takayanagi. Unlike Fukui's calmer take on the style, Takayanagi's is next level craziness. Check out his record Eclipse.

how has no one mentioned the inimitable ""C'est parfait" endoctrine tu tombes le tete la premiere" by Keiji Haino?

seriously though
Sup Forums has awful taste in jpn music