Sailing

Any sailors here? I just joined a local boating club and have been having a blast.

What do you all sail?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=N_rYAyl81qY
youtube.com/watch?v=5TB93-mdw1E
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I used to go to a sailing club in my high school years, sailed a J/24 but stopped after that.

You should rejoin. Lots of fun, friend

Is that a Contender? Those things are fucking insane to pilot. I sailed one once, and spent more time flipping the boat than I did moving

Not a sailor but I'm really looking forward to this years Americas Cup

I won pic related's National Championship some quantity of years and then represented cuntry at the world championships, didn't do aswell there. Only placed top 10 which is probably below par for the usual Australian representative.

Hardly sail now anymore, but during my teens I sailed probably everyday for several hours.

forgot pic

What city are you from?

>tfw you'd kind of like to learn how to sale but don't want to deal with all the expenses because you already have enough expensive hobbies

I found this
youtube.com/watch?v=N_rYAyl81qY

This guy's core strength must be fucking titanic, holy shit
>spending 45 minutes hiking out

I would explode

>implying all sailboats are either enormous America's Cup catamarans or Bermuda Race sized race yachts

I can tell you that the team with more money wins. I can also tell you Team New Zealand will be the only team who's whole crew is actually from the country they're representing.

>>tfw you'd kind of like to learn how to sale but don't want to deal with all the expenses because you already have enough expensive hobbies

A sale shouldn't cost money unless you advertise. A sale should be bringing in cash. You're thinking of buying not selling.

Find a club. Usually all you need is a membership fee, mine works out to about $20 a month. If you want more advanced classes, you can pay

>Team New Zealand will be the only team who's whole crew is actually from the country they're representing

Glenn Ashby is Australian, Carlo Huisman is dutch, Gilberto Nobli is Italian.

That's just the sailing team, the shore crew is even more multi national.

parents have a 36 foot boat
did lasers and laser 2s when younger
brother had a 29er but he would always try to sail competitively even just for fun so it didn't work out

now I live right next to the water, looking at getting one of these
youtube.com/watch?v=5TB93-mdw1E

Would you recommend a Laser to someone who's starting back up after a long time not sailing? I've been looking at them. I'm also on the heavier side so I hear the Rooster 8.1 rig is good for fatties who want to keep up with normal-sized people in lighter winds

thing about lasers are they're really optimized for 175 lbs

depends how heavy you are, and what the local boats and winds are

a 420 is good solo in light winds

>YWN bang prime Dekker all the way around the globe non stop.

Feels bad man.

230 right now, attempting to drop closer to 200 over the course of the spring and summer. I'm not trying to race, I just want to go fast. Maybe race my friends in their Escape up in the lakes region of NH.

Would a 420 be too much as a solo sail in stronger winds?

>no age of consent laws on the high seas

can always just go without the jib, or even just the jib if it's real windy

i have a sunfish

it's pretty cool OP

Non-ball sports are only allowed on Sup Forums during the olympics

Cocaine Crash is not a sport

>lakes region
I grew up in meredith, real nice lake country there.

Hey that's where my friend's house is

Try sailing a Dutchman in 30 knot winds and see how you do

Sydney, but the club I sailed at was probably a 2 hour drive from the CBD.

Sydney harbour has way too much traffic for training.

>can always just go without the jib

good luck trying to point.

Sailing
Takes me away
To where I always
Heard it could be

people who sail Finns are slightly crazy

Have sailed 420, snipes, etchells, Optis, and did college sailing. Multiple time national champion. Sailing is life and for people who don't think it's physical, go saili an etchells in 15-20 knots

anyone here do teams racing

What would you recommend for solo sailing/going fast

I live in Atlanta.

That's a shame

14' Tyka catamaran
fast and stable it's a bliss

I'd like to get into sailing, but I don't want to sail Lasers, call me boring but what's the point in sailing if you end up soaking wet, why not just go windsurfing?

I've done some sailing on holidays, catamarans are fun, even did it solo

Grew up racing knockabouts in woods hole MA. pretty cool times, and just sad that our skipper died of leukemia. We were a fantastic team. My dad was the strategist, my dad's friend was skipper, and I worked the jib. It couldn't have been any better

You are a pussy if you're afraid to get wet