I saw on multiple films that Americans grow up playing soccer until highschool and even in university

I saw on multiple films that Americans grow up playing soccer until highschool and even in university

How comes not a single one of them out of 320M people is good at it? And before you say you'd rather play american football, you don't play that sport when you are 12, and when you are 12 you can already be trasnfered to an European soccer team if you are good at it, see Messi

>I saw on multiple films that Americans grow up playing soccer until highschool

Unless you're an unathletic manlet, it won't be said (male) child's first sport.

Furthermore, most parents put kids into soccer to basically act as a babysitter. It's not taken seriously at the youth levels like Pee-Wee football and Little League baseball. Soccer basically exists as an excuse for kids to run around and burn off energy, like tag.

truth is the system is slanted in a way that those who can pay can play, thus leaving out a large percentage of talent. scouting is pretty bad except for a few mls club academies and some kids are poached by mexican teams who have a much more robust scouting network.
finally, the sport has competition here with other bigger sports, it's not a religion like in other countries.

Thats completely wrong though

All american parents make their kids play at least one year soccer. Its the easiest and cheapest sport to pIay and the least dangerous injury wise. If the kids show any type of athleticism their parents will put them in a real sport the next year. If not they get a recorder and a fedora.

>at least one year soccer
at what age? how come none of them get picked up by a decent club?

I didn't start soccer until high school. My dad always out me into football and baseball and basketball as a young kid

Kids as young as 8 or 9 play tackle football in the US lol.

>You don't play that sport when your are 12

Being this cuck'd

As others have said, they don't treat it like a real sport here. Just something for kids to do for exercise, and if you're decent, you play different sports like gridiron football or basketball or even baseball or hockey.

It's not like in Europe where everyone plays and every poor or middle class kid wants to become a footballer for the money and glory, it's not really seen as a career choice here. You guys have all your motivated working class athletes playing football but over here it's basketball and American football that attract all of those types.

>before you say you'd rather play american football, you don't play that sport when you are 12
You retards really don't know anything about the USA huh.

It's not seen as a real sport to be played on a national level. The MLS is a joke. The fastest/most athletic guys all go into football and basketball where they can actually make money/fame.

Look at the women's side. For pro sports they have only tennis and soccer as major sports so the best atheletes stay in soccer and the women's team is really good. If the MLS were real and soccer was a big time sport in the US I have no doubt the US could at least sport a very competitive squad, if not a pretty good one.

You play one or two years when you're like 7 and that's about it. The super awkward unathletic kids might play at 12/13 instead. American big 3 sports (baseball, basketball, handegg) are seen as ways to pay for university if you're good. Other sports don't pay as well for university because people don't go to watch them. Fewer scholarships are offered because the income is less.

Also, the number of academies for under 15s is really small, and unless you happen to live in a top 15 city by population you'll probably have to move to one to get any kind of quality coaching before an u17 level. The level of interest in football makes it difficult to find others to play with because our population is so sparse throughout the country. Moving 8-10 hours away because your 12 year old is decent and football isn't seen as an option, and that's the reality for 70% of the population. Look at our few decent players, they were either born in Europe and came up through teams there or were born in or just outside a major city here.

Now find me one film where its features a group of adults tailgating a soccer game, attending a soccer game, getting excited about a soccer game, or buying tickets for a soccer game.

It's a cultural thing, OP.

USA already has other 5 sports that they care about more than soccer.

Not really sure why you made this thread other than to take a cheap shot at the murricans, who mostly don't care about the sport.

t. someone who spent years in the US - I remember mentioning a friendly match result in late 2010, and someone legit asked me

>oh, is the world cup still going on?

The sports media outlets there don't help matters at all, btw, but it's not like there's enough people complaining about that.

Most of US kids playing soccer would not pass a basic skills test to even be considered for a youth program in Europe, a large percentage of those playing past the youth level are female and most of the gifted male athletes are recruited away to other sports.

In USA they focus on pacebabbies or strenght fags. You go for atleticism instead of skill, I think coaches don't know much about football and think they're playing handegg or something so even in university players have 0 skill. For example Jordan Morris, promising rookie but awful skill and he can't use his left even to pass the ball

Not only all the points above but also when you get to high school at age 13/14 you can play American football during the fall 'season'. (September when classes start) so that's how you immediately make bro friends. Soccer isn't even available by the school until the spring March and later on and by then most kids either play lacrosse to show they are rich and preppy or they just go swimming or something. Soccer is seriously an afterthought

I was gangly and uncoordinated as fuck so I played soccer.

When I got to be like 11 or 12 I started playing football instead.

It's just a better sport

I don't think it's really about that desu. It's more like, there's not that many good academies to teach technical skills and because of the distance from Europe and South America, there's not that many coaches that are good enough to teach it. Coaching is all about networking and that's the reason why FC Dallas, who is a pipeline club for Latin American talent and has coaches from there, is generally more of a well coached and technically gifted club than, say, Vancouver, which isn't close to any footballing countries really. It has to do with not being an experienced football nation and not being able to import coaches who know what they're doing, just like England exported coaches across Europe when the game was just starting to get popular.

I'm a manlet so soccer was pretty much the only sport I could play as a kid.

Childhood is playing soccer, adulthood is realizing that football is the true GOAT

t. Bob "Bobby" Jackson

A few reasons
>Most real athletes end up playing basketball, football, or baseball
>its more running around, I played from age 8-16, I didn't have a coach that knew soccer till I was 14.
>due to a lack of clubs, there no clubs to hire good players, and most athletes want to keep NCAA eligibility.
>of the three best soccer players at my high school, 2 became kickers/punters for football in college, 1 went for soccer. (At the same time, we had about 10 go to college for normal football, and a good basketball player who ended up pro overseas.

>How comes not a single one of them out of 320M people is good at it?
'scuse me?!

I played organized American football at age 8 you pussy

this is bullshit
USA has a GREAT youth program and within 21 years the US Team will be in the WC quarters more than once, and probably start winning it soon after. And once that starts they won't give it up.
Fact is fewer and fewer families allow their kids to play football and hockey because of head injuries.
Baseball is for old people.
Basketball is remains steady but is very physique-specific, so most kids have no chance.
And expensive, location-specific shit like skiing and mountain-biking is basically just for upper-class whose kids won't need to make a living at sports.

The USA will be a soccer super-power within 3 decades. Cap it.

We could potentially start creating good players in a couple decades but I don't think our league will ever not be a joke.
Both of the skilled teammates I had in high school went to Mexico to play semi-pro, there's just no path to becoming great by staying here

I have two sons under 2 years old and I will make sure to let them know soccer is for the weak, small, and poor.

We've had a competitive mens national team for the past few World Cups tbqh

To be fair, we perform better then England and a few other major football powers in the WC.

In the developed world soccer is seen as a children's sport. We focus on real sports like hockey and football.